Cabin under the galley question

jaowel

I am new to cruising and absolutely LOVE it!! So please don't hold this against me :rolleyes:

We decided to do something different this year and take our kids on a cruise for spring break. I looked forever and got a fantastic rate on the Ecstasy, so I booked it last October. My PVP offered me an upgrade to the Empress Deck. Being new to cruising and knowing I wanted midship (for less motion), I agreed. We have 5 in our cabin, so were limited to what was available anyway. I asked about the galley above and she assured me that we would hear no noise. I told her that we sleep with a white noise machine anyway and she said we would be just fine. Then I discovered CC (which I also love). After reading some posts I was a bit nervous. I inquired about changing rooms, but it is WAY too expensive to do so because of the great rate I got earlier. My question is to those that have had a room under the galley, specifically the Ecstasy in cabin E162. Is it really bad?

I have learned a ton about cruises through this site and thankful to all of you that take the time to reply!

We just had the cabin under the galley on the breeze. We must of been under a chopping station. but it didn't start till after 9am. Just remember they don't cook at night so you should be fine. What we did hear was very minor and during waking hours. It is much better then other places, I wouldn't worry!

It will really depend on what is over your particular station. It could just be a cooler (which would have little noise) or it could be a sink (which would have a lot of noise)....

the one time we were under the galley on the Breeze (last cruise...we got upgraded without our knowledge) we did indeed hear pots and pans clinking or being dropped during the night.

We also use a sound machine and I use ear plugs.... hubby without the ear plugs heard more than I did.

so I would take ear plugs as well...

Take earplugs!! As LHP said, it'll depend upon what's directly above you. We were under the Lido galley on the Spirit. OMG. It was awful! About 3:30 every morning, they would start the breakfast prep and we'd hear pots and pan clanging. I always take earplugs and definitely needed them on that cruise!

BTW, it was still one of the best cruises we've ever had!

Ya know Linda I wish they wouldn't do upgrades without passenger approval. One time it worked out great went from an inside to a balcony, but another time we ended up under the Lido on an inside on the starboard side of the ship.

I quit doing guarantee cabins just for that reason. I want to know where I'm going to be.

Ya know Linda I wish they wouldn't do upgrades without passenger approval. One time it worked out great went from an inside to a balcony, but another time we ended up under the Lido on an inside on the starboard side of the ship.

I quit doing guarantee cabins just for that reason. I want to know where I'm going to be.

Exactly! I've never been moved without my knowledge, but I wouldn't be happy if I were. I pick specific locations, having cruised enough that I kknow where I want to be on the ship. :D

You don't have to be under the galley to be bothered by it. We have sailed twice in the U150s (across from the laundry) on the sister ships Paradise and Elation. Both times we woke up to the smell of roasting garlic at 4am. Was very hungry by the time breakfast started.

We just had the cabin under the galley on the breeze. We must of been under a chopping station. but it didn't start till after 9am. Just remember they don't cook at night so you should be fine. What we did hear was very minor and during waking hours. It is much better then other places, I wouldn't worry!

Can I ask what cabin you were in on the Breeze? We are under the Galley on our upcoming Breeze cruise and I have been wondering how much I would hear from above. Thanks!

Thank you everyone! I guess we will bring earplugs to be safe ;). It will be nice to be close to everything. However, we may need to walk off all that Warm Choc Melting Cake. I can't wait!!

Take ear plugs!!! We were under the galley on the Dream in a cove balcony and they banged and drug some kind of carts or something ALL night long! It was nonstop, so we must have been under the foodprep area......

We will never do that again!

I am new to cruising and absolutely LOVE it!! So please don't hold this against me :rolleyes:

We decided to do something different this year and take our kids on a cruise for spring break. I looked forever and got a fantastic rate on the Ecstasy, so I booked it last October. My PVP offered me an upgrade to the Empress Deck. Being new to cruising and knowing I wanted midship (for less motion), I agreed. We have 5 in our cabin, so were limited to what was available anyway. I asked about the galley above and she assured me that we would hear no noise. I told her that we sleep with a white noise machine anyway and she said we would be just fine. Then I discovered CC (which I also love). After reading some posts I was a bit nervous. I inquired about changing rooms, but it is WAY too expensive to do so because of the great rate I got earlier. My question is to those that have had a room under the galley, specifically the Ecstasy in cabin E162. Is it really bad?

I have learned a ton about cruises through this site and thankful to all of you that take the time to reply!

Are you by chance on the April 4th sailing???? If so, I am your neighbor ...........right across the hallway inE160.

We are sailing on March 30th. I have only seen a handful of people on our sailing date in the roll calls. Lots for yours though!! Have a great time!!!

I guess you will be getting off the day we get on. Take care of the ship. I want it to be ready to sail on the 4th ! Hope you have a wonderful trip as well !!

We were under the galley on the Liberty. We were fairly new to cruising and didn't realize until it was too late.

The noise was bad. I am a lite sleep so noticed every little noise anyway. My husband and children are heavy sleepers but the noise kept them awake too. I think they cook or do prep all night long.

Take ear plugs!!! We were under the galley on the Dream in a cove balcony and they banged and drug some kind of carts or something ALL night long! It was nonstop, so we must have been under the foodprep area......

We will never do that again!

You might have had the same room we did. We didn't sleep very well at all and have a 15% credit towards our next cruise due to that fact.

• 4 weeks later...
I am happy to report, that with the little fan we brought, we did not hear a thing in our room :)

A Good nights sleep was had by all!!

You're lucky that you were able to get the fan onboard - others have reported them confiscated.

We once had a cabin under the galley and I thought I would go nuts. At about 4am every morning the noise started with chopping on the stainless steel counters overhead. It was like Yan Can Cook - fast and furious chopping with the knives hitting the metal.

We bought earplugs in the first port.

I think it was actually worse than the time we were over the showroom on the Conquest and had to listen to everything that went on in the room morning, noon and night.

We learned our lesson and only book staterooms with cabins over and under us and never take a guarantee. I don't book a cabin under or over promenade deck or under the lido or over any public rooms, with 2 exceptions. On Carnival we will book a spa balcony or suite on the Dream class on deck 12 - they are very quiet. On Royal Caribbean Voyager Class ships we book the Grand suites, which are under the Lido, but only under certain portions. Under the dive shop is really quiet.

A drag decks feature is so important so we can see what is above and below the available cabins that we subscribe to cruise deck plans dot com

Edited by DebJ14

I am happy to report, that with the little fan we brought, we did not hear a thing in our room :)

A Good nights sleep was had by all!!

I use a fan every night as well, however, this was way too much noise for a fan to block out.