Please post your planned or completed itinerary

judyf

We missed the dungeness crab season by a couple of days on a cruise two years ago. I think the start date was June 15, so you may want check on the date for this year. We were looking forward to having it at The Office.

I hadn't thought the season started later than our trip :(

Oh well, King crab will do just fine! :)

We did a land tour/cruise last year. This was our itinerary. Kids were 12 (DD) and 9 (DS) on the trip.

Day 1 - Flew from BDL to ANC (arrived 1:30 PM). .Comfort Ship Creek for the night. Explored downtown Anchorage. Dinner at Phyllis's Cafe and Salmon Bake.

Day 2 - Pick up rental car at ANC and drove to Denali. Overnight at McKinley Creekside Cabins. Explored Denali Visitor Center and the Park Road (got to see Mt. McKinley).

Day 3 - Eielson Shuttle Tour at 6:30 AM. Dinner was at the Salmon Bake in Glitter Gulch. Did Jeff King's Husky Homestead Tour at 7 PM.

Day 4 - Morning at Denali, then drove to Palmer (Hatcher Pass Bed and Breakfast). Shopped a bit in Wasilla and had dinner.

Day 5 - Hiked on Matanuska Glacier with MICA (family hike - 90 minutes). Drove back to Anchorage. Comfort Inn Ship Creek. Dinner at the Snow Goose. Returned rental car to ANC.

Day 6 - Train to Seward (goldstar service). Kenai Fjords boat tour with Major Marine (5 hour). Dinner at Chinooks. Overnight at Holiday Inn Express.

Day 7 - Morning at Alaska Sealife Center. Boarded Radiance of the Seas.

Day 8 - Day at Sea (Hubbard Glacier)

Day 9 - Juneau - We took the Mt. Robert's Tramway, then had our whale watching excursion with Orca Enterprises. Never made it to Mendenhall Glacier.

Day 10 - Skagway - We rented a car from Avis and drove up to Emerald lake. Stopped at sights along the way. Back in town we stopped at Klondike Goldfields and panned for gold.

Day 11 - Icy Strait Point (Hoonah) - DH and DS fished on the shore all day and caught a bunch of salmon. DD and I rode the Ziprider.

Day 12 - Ketchikan - Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour, then we walked around town (Creek Street)

Day 13 - Day at Sea

Day 14 - Arrival at Vancouver. Checked into the Pan Pacific. Went to Capilano Suspension Bridge, and took a bus tour of Vancouver.

Day 15 - Took light rail to YVR and picked up rental car. Drove to Tsawwassen and took the ferry to Swartz Bay. Toured Butchart Gardens and drove thru downtown Victoria. Back on the ferry to YVR and returned rental car, light rail back to Pan Pacific.

Day 16 - Checked out of Pan Pacific. Picked up rental car at YVR (light rail) and drove to Seattle. Checked into Best Western Executive Inn. Drove to Pike Place Market. Had lunch/dinner, then returned car to SEA (light rail/monorail back to hotel).

Day 17 - Space Needle in the morning. Did a Duck Tour in the afternoon. Walked around downtown Seattle.

Day 18 - Back to SEA for flight back to BDL.

Edited by Colexis Mom

Colexis Mom, could you answer a few questions for me?

-How was the Comfort Inn Ship Creek? TripAdvisors reviews are mixed, but we will only be staying in Anchorage two nights, and since it's right on the creek and people can fish, figured it might be nice for my BF.

- What date were you at Icy Strait Point? My BF may be interested in shore fishing there instead of whale watching. We are planning the last week in May or second week in June for our SB cruise. Did you have to book ahead of time, or were vendors available by the shore to rent poles, etc. from that day?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Here is our itinerary for this July:

Boston to Vancouver the day before the cruise. Stay at BW Downtown

Board Coral Princess Northbound,Voyage of the Glaciers

Ketchikan..still undecided but most likely not do any excursions to save money for later excursions

Juneau.. rented a car with national , drive to mendenhall Glacier for some hiking, Eagle Beach walk, eagle watch and Shrine of St Therese, Mt Roberts tram if good weather and time.

Skagway..rented a car with Avis. Will drive to Yukon as far as Emerald Lake

Whittier to Anchorage..Princess transfer. Pick up rental car (SUV for $350 for 10 days :))

Stop in Wasilla, pick up cooler, snacks, bottled water, lunch and breakfast foods,bear spray,DEET, other supplies

Talkeetna that night, Talkkeetna-Denali View Lodge, Mt McKinley Summit flight the next day, using 2 for 1 coupon with Northern Lights(booked)

Next 3 nights in Healy Alaskan Spruce cabins

(full kitchen and grill if we choose)

Hikes around Denali Visitor center

One full day Wonder Lake shuttle trip

Saving room for Flightseeing if weather precluded in Talkeetna

Drive some of Denali Highway

Drive to Seward (not a recommended drive but we are planning to leave Healy bright and early and hope for no delays)

Next 3 nights at Havenwood Guest House

(full kitchen and grill if we choose)

Kenai Fjords Northwestern Tour Northern lights coupon,

$50 off pp (booked)

Exit Glacier Hike/? kayaking

Explore Kenai peninsula, maybe do a fishing charter

Drive to Girdwood

Next 2 nights in Girdwood @ Bud and Carol's B&B

Explore Seward highway, Turnagin Arm

Byron Glacier hike

Tram to top of Mt Alyeska

Double Musky Inn for dinner

Last day-Drive to Anchorage, dropoff SUV

Anchorage to Boston :(

Edited by pmjnh

Colexis Mom, could you answer a few questions for me?

-How was the Comfort Inn Ship Creek? TripAdvisors reviews are mixed, but we will only be staying in Anchorage two nights, and since it's right on the creek and people can fish, figured it might be nice for my BF.

- What date were you at Icy Strait Point? My BF may be interested in shore fishing there instead of whale watching. We are planning the last week in May or second week in June for our SB cruise. Did you have to book ahead of time, or were vendors available by the shore to rent poles, etc. from that day?

Thanks in advance for your help!

We had no problems at the Comfort Inn Ship Creek. It was fine. My DH and DS love to fish, so this was a great location for them. There was a big hill to climb to get up to downtown Anchorage but we took the trolley from the store next door and then would walk back down to the hotel.

We were at ISP the first week of July, maybe the 5th? DH actually brought a pole from home, and then he rented one for DS when we got to ISP (there was a vendor at the edge of the beach where you could get a pole and lures, and fishing license). I think it was $25-$35 for the day. They were one of the first ones off the boat and fished from probably 7:30 until 1:30. The vendor did sell out, so those arriving around 11:30 or later were out of luck. We also had a humpback come very close to shore and "flip" its tail, which was amazing.

Okay, so first a couple of things about us. We're in our 20s (I'm 27 and DH is 24...yes, a younger man... :) ) flying all the way from Israel for our honeymoon. I'm originaly from Detroit, MI, moved here when I was 6 years old. My DH is 100% Israeli. we're very active, LOVE animals and beautiful places and meeting new people.

Also, we both don't like flying and are both prone to motion sickness.

We have already booked everything (how much fun is planning this trip?? I can't believe I actually get to go on it!). The week long land trip is independant, and the excursions during the cruise are all through the cruise line, that way I have peace of mind booking 2 excursions everyday. It's worth it for me :)

Here's what we have planned for this July (I CAN'T WAIT!!!!:) ):

Day 1 - land in Fairbanks in the evening, after traveling 35 hours (!!). pick up car rental at airport.

Day 2 - Fairbanks - Dredge 8 tour. The Fudge Pot for lunch (DH has never had real fudge). Pioneer Park for the rest of the day - rent bikes, mini golf, salmon bake and Golden Hearts show.

Day 3 - Fairbanks - Creamer's Field for nature walk, then drive leisurly to Chena Hotsprings Resort for hotsprings and ice museum.

Day 4 - Fairbanks - walk in the woods with reindeer at Reindeer Ranch. grab a quick lunch, then get on Riverboat Discovery. Pump House restuarant for dinner. Return car to airport.

Day 5 - Denali - Train to Denali Goldstar class. 6 PM river raft. woohoo! :)

Day 6 - Denali - Eilson shuttle bus. 1 PM free ranger hike out of Eilson Center.

day 7 - Check out the visitor's center in the morning before train to Anchorage Goldstar class. Dinner at the Moose's Tooth Pub and Pizzeria (home made cream soda! yum! Yet another thing DH has never had). Sleep in Anchorage

Day 8 - Early morning! Train to Seward Goldstar class. Go to Alaska SeaLife Center. Octopus Encounter and then Marine Mammal Encounter (I'm so excited and i just can't hide it! :) ). Sleep Seward.

Day 9 - Free Exit glacier walk with ranger. Board the ship!!

Day 10 - Day at sea - Hubbard glaciar

Day 11 - Juneau - Sled Dogs & Musher's Camp, then Mendenhall Glacier Float Trip. Lunch at Red Dog Saloon.

Day 12 - Skagway - Rainforest Bicycle Tour, then White Pass Scenic Railway. Stop by Red Onion Saloon afterwards.

Day 13 - Icy Strait Point - Forest Tram & Tribal Dance Combination, then Whale & Marine Mammals Cruise.

Day 14 - Ketchikan - Historic Ketchikan Trolley & Lumberjack Show combo, eat lunch at Alaska Fish House. Then walk on Creek street to Married Man's Trail.

Day 15 - day at sea - inside passage

Day 16 - Vancouver - Cappilano suspension bridge + Cliffwalk + Treetops Adventure, hop on hop off trolley to see Gastown and China town, then it's off to Stanley Park, maybe rent bikes there or just stroll around.

Day 17 - Train to Seattle. Leave luggage at the train station storage. Duck Tour, olympic statue park, eat somewhere on the waterfront. (Not interested in the market).

Then it's off to the airport to fly to Walt Disney World for 2 weeks!! Yay!!! (I know, I know, some of you are gagging right now, but that's why this is our honeymoon, not yours :) ).

Have fun on your trips!! and thanks for all the great advice!

Day 11 - Juneau - Sled Dogs & Musher's Camp, then Mendenhall Glacier Float Trip. Lunch at Red Dog Saloon.

Day 12 - Skagway - Rainforest Bicycle Tour, then White Pass Scenic Railway. Stop by Red Onion Saloon afterwards.

Day 13 - Icy Strait Point - Forest Tram & Tribal Dance Combination, then Whale & Marine Mammals Cruise.

QUOTE]

I have a few first hand comments on these selections. the Mendenhall float trip is never something I recommend. It is very tame, a quick paddle to the river, only a brief distant view of Mendenhall, then the rest of the trip is trees and back yards. Overall this is a very costly, at best so so excursion.

By far being on your own with a bike ride is superior. The guided ones, only go as fast as the slowest person. Renting bikes and taking a ride out to Dyea is excellent to consider. Even riding around Skagway and out to the Gold Rush Cemetery is good.

The ship whale watch tours out of Hoonah are the shortest available. For the opportunity to view varied behaviors, it is ALL about time. More of it, the more you see. The "tram" tour is a short loop that is easily walked, if you have no mobility limitations. It is essentially riding behind a gulf cart, and not real exciting.

I have a few first hand comments on these selections. the Mendenhall float trip is never something I recommend. It is very tame, a quick paddle to the river, only a brief distant view of Mendenhall, then the rest of the trip is trees and back yards. Overall this is a very costly, at best so so excursion.

By far being on your own with a bike ride is superior. The guided ones, only go as fast as the slowest person. Renting bikes and taking a ride out to Dyea is excellent to consider. Even riding around Skagway and out to the Gold Rush Cemetery is good.

The ship whale watch tours out of Hoonah are the shortest available. For the opportunity to view varied behaviors, it is ALL about time. More of it, the more you see. The "tram" tour is a short loop that is easily walked, if you have no mobility limitations. It is essentially riding behind a gulf cart, and not real exciting.

First of all, the fact that these are your only comments makes me feel pretty good about myself, since you're pretty much the Alaska board guru :) I'll definately look into your suggestions.

What worries me the most is your comment on the float trip...

has anyone else been on this excursion and can tell me what they thought?

I don't want to go and be disappointed...not get a good look at the glacier, which looks beautiful.

Edited by alaskawdw12

I would really appreciate a "critic" from the experts!

The "?" in our itinerary is where we could use your help! What else can/should we do?

Would appreciate help with timeline also! Thanks!

Note: We are 2 couples in our 50's and 60's. We are not good hiker because of mobility issues. Long rides and cramped seating are difficult with knee replacements! So we need to be able to get up and walk or stand for a few minutes. We do have our concerns about some of the things we have planned but hope we can do them!

Day 1: Vancouver: Arrive 1pm - ? Then what?

Ferry to Victoria. Not sure what time we will catch the ferry?

Not sure what to do or see in Victoria in the evening?

Stay at B&B

Day 2: Victoria: Butchart Gardens maybe Butterfly farm ?

Tour Victoria - Not sure what else there is to see! ?

Not sure where else to go! ?

Catch ferry back to Vancouver. Not sure what time?

Lodging in Vancouver is yet to be decided :eek: ?

Day 3: Vancouver: Stanley Park and the Aquarium.

Board Celebrity Millennium - what is the best time?

Day 4: At Sea

Day 5: Ketchikan - ?

Day 6: Icy Strait Point - Whale watch

Day 7: Juneau - Whale watch, Mendenhall

Day 8: Skagway - ?

Day 9: Hubbard

Day 10: Seward:

Leave ship :(

SeaLife Center, Kayaking (for the mobile people ;) )

Renting a cottage for the night.

Day 11: Seward during the day then train to Anchorage

? Not sure what to do in the morning before our 10 am Kenai Fjords tour?

Train to Anchorage at 6pm, pick up rental car

B&B lodging

Day 12:Talkeetna

Drive to Talkeetna with stops along the way for snacks and food

for the next 6 days. Stop in Wasilla for this?

Jetboat tour in Talkeetna

B&B lodging

Day 13: Talkeetna

McKinley Flight Tour at 10am

Denali Drama?

? Have no idea what else to do in this area

B&B lodging Talkeetna

Day 14: Denali

Drive to Denali and do the Visitors Center ? Maybe drive into Denali as far as we can go? Is this a waste of time? Will we see anything?

Cabin Nite Dinner Theater?

Day 15: 6:30 shuttle bus to Wonderlake

Nice dinner someplace?

Day 16: Palmer

B&B

Matanuska Glacier Trek

Not sure what else to do here?

Day 17: Anchorage

Drive Turnagain Arm

Not sure what else to do?

B&B

Day 18: All day in Anchorage - fly home at midnight

What to do this day?

Thanks for your input (suggestions, corrections, advice)!!

What worries me the most is your comment on the float trip...

has anyone else been on this excursion and can tell me what they thought?

I don't want to go and be disappointed...not get a good look at the glacier, which looks beautiful.

I have been on this tour, ALL my comments/recommendations are my FIRST hand information, unfortunately unlike many postings.

Day 1 - Fly to Seattle, arrive in the evening

Inn at the Market

Day 2 - Space Needle, Pike's Market, Underground Tour

Dinner with friends

Day 3 - early train to Vancouver

Capilano Bridge, Grouse Mountain

Pan Pacific Vancouver

Day 4 - tour Vancouver - HOHO

Day 5 - Stanley Park am, board Millenium afternoon

Day 6 - Cruising Inside Passage

Day 7 - Ketchikan, morning Float plane to Misty Fjords with Family Air

lunch and wander in town?

Day 8 - Icy Straight, morning whale watching with F.I.S.H.E.S.

lunch and wander in town

Day 9 - Juneau, dog sledding on Mendenhall Glacier with Era Helicopters

lunch at Tracy's Crab shack, afternoon in town

Day 10- Skagway - Dyea Dave

Day 11- Hubbard Glacier cruising

Day 12- Seward, disembark

Kenai Fjords Park Tour with Major Marine

GoldStar Train to Anchorage

overnight Embassy Suites

Day 13 -Pick up rental car, explore Anchorage

Day 14- early leisurely Drive to Denali - stop in Wasilla for supplies

evening White Water Rafting Denali

stay Denali Dome Home B & B

Day 15-Denali Park Shuttle to Eielson (sp?)

Day 16-early drive to Fairbanks, El Dorado Gold Mine, Riverboat Discovery

overnight Dale & Jo View Suites B & B

Day 17-early flight back home

I would really appreciate a "critic" from the experts!

The "?" in our itinerary is where we could use your help! What else can/should we do?

Would appreciate help with timeline also! Thanks!

Note: We are 2 couples in our 50's and 60's. We are not good hiker because of mobility issues. Long rides and cramped seating are difficult with knee replacements! So we need to be able to get up and walk or stand for a few minutes. We do have our concerns about some of the things we have planned but hope we can do them!

Day 1: Vancouver: Arrive 1pm - ? Then what?

Ferry to Victoria. Not sure what time we will catch the ferry?

Not sure what to do or see in Victoria in the evening?

Stay at B&B

Day 2: Victoria: Butchart Gardens maybe Butterfly farm ?

Tour Victoria - Not sure what else there is to see! ?

Not sure where else to go! ?

Catch ferry back to Vancouver. Not sure what time?

Lodging in Vancouver is yet to be decided :eek: ?

Day 3: Vancouver: Stanley Park and the Aquarium.

Board Celebrity Millennium - what is the best time?

Day 4: At Sea

Day 5: Ketchikan - ?

Day 6: Icy Strait Point - Whale watch

Day 7: Juneau - Whale watch, Mendenhall

Day 8: Skagway - ?

Day 9: Hubbard

Day 10: Seward:

Leave ship :(

SeaLife Center, Kayaking (for the mobile people ;) )

Renting a cottage for the night.

Day 11: Seward during the day then train to Anchorage

? Not sure what to do in the morning before our 10 am Kenai Fjords tour?

Train to Anchorage at 6pm, pick up rental car

B&B lodging

Day 12:Talkeetna

Drive to Talkeetna with stops along the way for snacks and food

for the next 6 days. Stop in Wasilla for this?

Jetboat tour in Talkeetna

B&B lodging

Day 13: Talkeetna

McKinley Flight Tour at 10am

Denali Drama?

? Have no idea what else to do in this area

B&B lodging Talkeetna

Day 14: Denali

Drive to Denali and do the Visitors Center ? Maybe drive into Denali as far as we can go? Is this a waste of time? Will we see anything?

Cabin Nite Dinner Theater?

Day 15: 6:30 shuttle bus to Wonderlake

Nice dinner someplace?

Day 16: Palmer

B&B

Matanuska Glacier Trek

Not sure what else to do here?

Day 17: Anchorage

Drive Turnagain Arm

Not sure what else to do?

B&B

Day 18: All day in Anchorage - fly home at midnight

What to do this day?

Thanks for your input (suggestions, corrections, advice)!!

You have a lot of time in MatSu, that I suggest you look further into. You have about 1 day too many for your current plans. Same with your Anchorage days. I would suggest a Prince William Sound Boat tour, or rearrange your itinerary and get to Valdez, and ferry Whittier/Valdez with a loop.

I again suggest you find out about Vancouver Island. It is hardly worth it to go there for only Butchart Gardens, there are some very nice gardens right in Vancouver. How do you plan on getting there?? Car offers WAY more options, bus is a lot cheaper. Figure this out.

I have been on this tour, ALL my comments/recommendations are my FIRST hand information, unfortunately unlike many postings.

Yes, thank you :) I've canceled the float trip, and have decided instead to take the shuttle to Mendenhal glacier after the dog excursion, hike a short trail, and check out the visitors center (I also have read that there is a place near the parking lot where one can view bears during salmon run season?).

Probably take a cab from there, since you have posted that sometimes the wait for getting on a return shuttle can be very long. Is there a taxi station right there?

Then we will go on an evening whale quest. yay! This way we get 2 whale watching excursions, and maximize our viewing oporotunities :) I'm really excited about it, and very thankfull for your help! Without your help, we would have wasted a lot of money, and, more importantly, time!

You have a lot of time in MatSu, that I suggest you look further into. You have about 1 day too many for your current plans. Same with your Anchorage days. I would suggest a Prince William Sound Boat tour, or rearrange your itinerary and get to Valdez, and ferry Whittier/Valdez with a loop.

I again suggest you find out about Vancouver Island. It is hardly worth it to go there for only Butchart Gardens, there are some very nice gardens right in Vancouver. How do you plan on getting there?? Car offers WAY more options, bus is a lot cheaper. Figure this out.

Thank you so much for your input!!

Which gardens right in Vancouver?

We have a rental for our time in Vancouver.

Is Victoria not worth the trip? Nothing else to see/do there in May?

I heard so much about Butchart Gardens from these boards I thought they were THE ones to see!

We are staying at the Landis for one night

Since we have a car for Vancouver, what would you suggest?

I had not heard anything on the boards about Valdez so we never considered it! What would you suggest for Valdez day trip?

Day 1 - Fly to Seattle, arrive in the evening

Inn at the Market

Day 2 - Space Needle, Pike's Market, Underground Tour

Dinner with friends

Day 3 - early train to Vancouver

Capilano Bridge, Grouse Mountain

Pan Pacific Vancouver

Day 4 - tour Vancouver - HOHO

Day 5 - Stanley Park am, board Millenium afternoon

Day 6 - Cruising Inside Passage

Day 7 - Ketchikan, morning Float plane to Misty Fjords with Family Air

lunch and wander in town?

Day 8 - Icy Straight, morning whale watching with F.I.S.H.E.S.

lunch and wander in town

Day 9 - Juneau, dog sledding on Mendenhall Glacier with Era Helicopters

lunch at Tracy's Crab shack, afternoon in town

Day 10- Skagway - Dyea Dave

Day 11- Hubbard Glacier cruising

Day 12- Seward, disembark

Kenai Fjords Park Tour with Major Marine

GoldStar Train to Anchorage

overnight Embassy Suites

Day 13 -Pick up rental car, explore Anchorage

Day 14- early leisurely Drive to Denali - stop in Wasilla for supplies

evening White Water Rafting Denali

stay Denali Dome Home B & B

Day 15-Denali Park Shuttle to Eielson (sp?)

Day 16-early drive to Fairbanks, El Dorado Gold Mine, Riverboat Discovery

overnight Dale & Jo View Suites B & B

Day 17-early flight back home

Can't speak to the AK destinations since we will be going on our first Alaskan Cruise in August, but your Seattle/Vancouver choices are great.

We did a tour of the market w/Seattle Bites, led by Jan, 1 1/2 years ago. It was excellent. If you like chowder, you MUST go to Duke's on Lake Union! Also visited a great jazz bar downtown, Pioneer Square, can't remember their name though.

Stanley Park was great, great, great.....As was Granville Market, and ALL the brewtubs scattered among Yale Town, GasTown, Stanley Park.

If you like Indian, VIJ's is the place to go. Can't wait to go back before or after our cruise. Traveling around the city was easy on light rail and buses. AND I got all of these great tips from Trip Advisor, where everyone was so giving with information.

Hope you have a great trip!

If you like Indian, VIJ's is the place to go. Can't wait to go back before or after our cruise. Traveling around the city was easy on light rail and buses. AND I got all of these great tips from Trip Advisor, where everyone was so giving with information.

What is VIJ's and where is it? :)

Can't speak to the AK destinations since we will be going on our first Alaskan Cruise in August, but your Seattle/Vancouver choices are great.

We did a tour of the market w/Seattle Bites, led by Jan, 1 1/2 years ago. It was excellent. If you like chowder, you MUST go to Duke's on Lake Union! Also visited a great jazz bar downtown, Pioneer Square, can't remember their name though.

Stanley Park was great, great, great.....As was Granville Market, and ALL the brewtubs scattered among Yale Town, GasTown, Stanley Park.

Thanks for the suggestions! This is why I love CC and TripAdvisor. :) What did we do before these sites and the net? :confused:

Question- Is the morning before we embark enough time to enjoy Stanley Park? The ship leaves at 4pm - so we probably need to be boarding around 2pm. Our hotel is at the cruise dock.

Yes, thank you :) I've canceled the float trip, and have decided instead to take the shuttle to Mendenhal glacier after the dog excursion, hike a short trail, and check out the visitors center (I also have read that there is a place near the parking lot where one can view bears during salmon run season?).

Probably take a cab from there, since you have posted that sometimes the wait for getting on a return shuttle can be very long. Is there a taxi station right there?

Then we will go on an evening whale quest. yay! This way we get 2 whale watching excursions, and maximize our viewing oporotunities :) I'm really excited about it, and very thankfull for your help! Without your help, we would have wasted a lot of money, and, more importantly, time!

You can wait for a bus or two, during peak times and under tight schedules. You will HAVE to call a cab, there is NO cab line any longer at Mendenhall.

Thank you so much for your input!!

Which gardens right in Vancouver?

We have a rental for our time in Vancouver.

Is Victoria not worth the trip? Nothing else to see/do there in May?

I heard so much about Butchart Gardens from these boards I thought they were THE ones to see!

We are staying at the Landis for one night

Since we have a car for Vancouver, what would you suggest?

I had not heard anything on the boards about Valdez so we never considered it! What would you suggest for Valdez day trip?

Certainly Victoria is worth the trip. :) BUT, I do suggest you look further at what is available for your interests. They do have a visitor guide.

So you are taking the car over to Victoria?? Be ready for the high costs, and added costs of reservations. In season, the ferries run full, and there is nothing worse then missing a load and having to wait another two hours. :(

http://www.bcpassport.com/vancouver-gardens/

Edited by Budget Queen

What is VIJ's and where is it? :)

It's an Indian restaurant on W. 11th St. Checked TripAdvisor just now and its #3 favorite in Vancouver. 18 months ago it was #1 and deservedly so. We took a bus from the Granville Market area. I think the #10, but not sure. My husband's the transportion guy. My job's picking the places we eat. This one was a winner. Although I love all kinds of spicy and different foods, had never had Indian, so wanted to give it a try. Now I don't want to go to any other Indian restaurant for fear I'll be disappointed.

Thanks for the suggestions! This is why I love CC and TripAdvisor. :) What did we do before these sites and the net? :confused:

Question- Is the morning before we embark enough time to enjoy Stanley Park? The ship leaves at 4pm - so we probably need to be boarding around 2pm. Our hotel is at the cruise dock.

There's as much to do in Stanley Park as you have time for. We spent most of the day. 9 to 4 I think.

The Trip Advisor site was of great value for our Vancouver choices. We chose most of our destinations in Vancouver/Seattle/Portland from there with NO regrets.

Stanley Park has a website as well. You can walk it, bike it, bus it....or combo

I'd love to hear any comments you might have about our planned itinerary for our August 2012 trip. This is going to be our (DH's and my) first trip to Alaska, and after many, many months reading, researching and more reading, we came up with a list of priorities and planned around them. We decided against Denali for this trip, as we just couldn't add any more days, and we didn't want to sacrifice any of the other things on our priority list. The only thing I'd hoped to be able to include was a Mt. McKinley flightseeing tour from Talkeetna - but we just won't have time - and weather is always a gamble. Just a little background DH and I are 60'ish, and not the most fit or adventuresome. Hence, we've steered clear from kayaking, rafting, ice climbing etc. :) The information here on CC has been invaluable to me during the planning process, and I'd like to thank all the regular posters, and others, who have provided so much in the way of advice and guidance!! I'm finally at the stage where I'm quite happy with what we have planned ... but I'd be interested to know what you guys (the experts) think. Thanks so much!

By the way, everything's booked, excepted the highlighted stuff. I used the coupon books and have saved over $500 with potential to save another $100 when we get there!

Day 1: Travel Day [Fly from New York to Seattle[/color]

Overnight: Hotel at Seattle airport

Day 2: Early morning flight from Seattle to Anchorage

Pick up Alamo rental car at airport

Drive to Girdwood (approx 40 miles) via Turnagain

Arm stopping at Beluga Point, Potter Marsh, etc.

Hotel Alyeska – take tram up the mountain (if

weather is good)

Walk part of Winner Creek Trail (trail head behind Aleyska tram – also available from Crow Creek Mine) if we have the energy

Alaska Candle Factory?

Dinner: Double Musky Restaurant

Overnight: Girdwood - Timberline Vacation Rentals

Day 3: Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center

Drive to Whittier (coordinate with tunnel opening time)

Prince William Sound - 4½ hrs Blackstone Glacier cruise - Major Marine

Dinner: Swiftwater Café in Whittier?

Overnight: Girdwood - Timberline Vacation Rentals

Day 4: Glacier dog sledding - Alpine Air Alaska/Seavey's Ididaride

Crow Creek Mine, pan for gold maybe? (if time)

Drive to Palmer via Glenn Hwy (2.5 hrs from Girdwood), making stops at Eagle River Nature Center, Eklutna Spirit Houses, and Musk Ox Farm (if time).

Visit Hatcher Pass/Independence Mine

Dinner: Turkey Red or Noisy Goose in Palmer

Overnight: Palmer - Hatcher Pass B&B

Day 5: Drive to Matanuska (1.5 hrs)

Matanuska Glacier Hike with MICA Guides

Lunch: Long Rifle Lodge for burgers – Next to MICA

Return to Anchorage (2.5 hrs)

Return Alamo Car Rental to airport

Alaska Native Heritage Center in Anchorage

If time, maybe Segway tour of Anchorage?

Dinner: Glacier Brewhouse or Sourdough Mining Company

Overnight: Anchorage - Comfort Inn Ship Creek

(do laundry)

Day 6: Seward: Alaska Railroad Anchorage-Seward

(Goldstar Dome Class)

Kenai Fjords Tours - 6 hr National Park Cruise

Dinner: Maxines (?)

Overnight: Seward - Holiday Inn Express

Day 7: Seward Alaska Sea Life Center (Marine Mammal Encounter)

Check-in for cruise/board ship and have lunch

Exit Glacier – take cab or shuttle - walk 1hr trail to face of glacier

Return to ship for Dinner and Set Sail at 8pm

Day 8: At Sea Cruising Hubbard Glacier

Day 9: Juneau Taku Lodge Flight and Feast (salmon lunch)

Flight-seeing with ERA Helicopters – Glacier Adventure w/landing

[in event of cancellation: go to Mendenhall Glacier

on our own]

Mt. Roberts Tramway (if time and weather

permitting)

Red Dog Saloon for refreshments followed by …

King Crab dinner at Tracey’s before returning to ship

Day 10: Skagway Yukon Bus and Rail Excursion - Chilkoot Charters (7.5

hrs)

Red Onion Saloon for refreshments before returning

to ship

Day 11: Hoonah Whale Watching - Glacier Wind

Lunch: The Office (dungeoness crab .. yummy!)

Scenic walk along the forest trail back to tender dock

Visit Cannery, Museum and Gift Shops/Watch Tlingit Indian Dancers

Day 12: Ketchikan Traitors Cove Bear Observation - Southeast Aviation

Wander and shop Creek Street – souvenir shopping/salmon run

Totem Blight? (if time, but doubtful)

Day 13: At Sea Inside Passage-Cruising

Day 14: Disembark in Vancouver

Quick Shuttle Vancouver to Seattle

Dinner: Pike Place Market

Overnight: Hotel at Seattle Airport

Day 15: Travel Day Fly from Seattle back to New York

Edited by englishlady