My Dream Review...and I took LOTS of pics!

bluejay555

Here are some pics of Starfish Island. It was too overcast and the water too murky to look pretty, but I think on a sunny day the water would probably look crystal clear.

2015-25-6--12-37-48.jpeg_zpsimolru3r.png

2015-25-6--12-38-28.jpeg_zpseujlj3cd.png

I didn't ask how much it cost to rent the kayaks...

2015-25-6--12-38-10.jpeg_zpsifecn7hu.png

2015-25-6--12-38-45.jpeg_zpswbndcszt.png

2015-25-6--12-39-02.jpeg_zpsi6btptqg.png

2015-25-6--12-39-18.jpeg_zpsdxxcxybn.png

As you can see from that last pic I posted, the chairs were in bad shape. The paint was peeling off of most of them, and some of them were falling apart. We didn't use the chairs but they look super uncomfortable. We were in the water the whole day!

Here's the bar. I gotta say, it was overpriced and they really skimped on the liquor. I watched them make drinks and the guy was putting a splash of liquor in. Not a shot, but a splash. The frozen cocktails (pina colada, etc) were $10, I believe, and sodas were $2. We got a bucket of 5 beers for $17.

2015-25-6--12-39-36.jpeg_zps7sucmd0o.png

2015-25-6--12-40-10.jpeg_zpsoae1loka.png

They were serving lunch any time you were ready to eat, you just had to take your ticket over to them and they'd make you a plate.

and here is where the food was...there was a serving line, cafeteria style.

2015-25-6--12-41-09.jpeg_zpspfyimkvj.png

The food wasn't bad. It was some odd cuts of chicken, which you get your choice of white or dark, red beans and rice, with or without gravy (looked like beef bouillon), and potato salad. Potato salad wasn't cold enough for me to feel safe eating. I was afraid the mayo might have spoiled!

2015-25-6--12-41-28.jpeg_zps8u1c2cce.png

While we were eating lunch, it was announced that an Elvis impersonator would be performing. He was pretty good, but we thought it was kind of an odd choice of music....we were expecting island music!

2015-25-6--12-42-12.jpeg_zpsokgnzvjg.png

these little hermit crabs were everywhere! Josie had so much fun playing with them. Their empty little shells were everywhere, too, and they were mostly perfect shells. Usually the beaches we go to are full of broken shells. We did have to triple check each shell to make sure there wasn't a critter in it, before we packed it up to take with us though!

2015-25-6--12-45-06.jpeg_zpsbqblpqyc.png

2015-25-6--12-44-42.jpeg_zpsgoi8wwtx.png

This was a 4 hour excursion and our time was just about up :( I have to say, I enjoyed this place much more than I thought I would. I absolutely love wading out into the water and bobbing around in the surf, and this beach was perfect for that. You could walk out quite a ways and still be able to touch, and there was a steady stream of mild waves rolling in. We stood out there and rode the waves all day! It was heaven! The only bad thing was the sea bottom felt like mushy mud and it was such an icky feeling squishing between your toes. Everyone out there was talking about how yucky it felt, especially since you couldn't see what you were stepping in since the water was so murky. My kids put on their water shoes it was so bad!

So the beach was awesome! If you like hanging in the water all day, this is your place. But....if you like to lay in a lounger all day, this is NOT your place. Those chairs were horrible. In fact, there is no excuse! If you're going to provide a private beach area and charge people to visit, you need to have working, comfortable loungers. Just about every single one was falling apart and the paint was peeling off.

2015-27-6--09-50-46.jpeg_zpsfnnv2o4g.png

Lunch was OK, drinks were watered down and overpriced. There were showers, a bathroom, and even handicapped accessible areas (we saw someone in a wheelchair who was getting around great).

So all in all, I would go back to Starfish Island!

2015-25-6--12-48-17.jpeg_zpsp1tnisqu.png

2015-25-6--12-48-38.jpeg_zpspn58h0u2.png

When we got back to the Dream, there was a line of tender boats waiting to drop off passengers. We had to sit out there in the surf for probably 10 min, maybe longer. The water was so choppy that people were getting sick. There was at least 1 puker down on deck 1. Luckily we chose to sit on the top deck for the ride back! My poor mom was on deck 1. If you're prone to seasickness, take your meds before tendering!

2015-25-6--12-49-01.jpeg_zpskuuolczv.png

2015-25-6--12-49-31.jpeg_zpsmj77opjs.png

I am not only enjoying your review but reliving some of our experiences as well, especially LFK-cant wait to go back!

I was wondering would you mind if I printed one of your food pics from LFK? I didn't get one for my album. it's a good pic, takes me back to having lunch on the beach:) If you would rather I didn't, no worries. oceanbums

I am not only enjoying your review but reliving some of our experiences as well, especially LFK-cant wait to go back!

I was wondering would you mind if I printed one of your food pics from LFK? I didn't get one for my album. it's a good pic, takes me back to having lunch on the beach:) If you would rather I didn't, no worries. oceanbums

Absolutely! Go right ahead!

Have they mentioned any upgrades it renovations to Starfish? We're going in Jan. and we're going to the zoo - have you heard any comments on it?

Sorry, I haven't heard anything about renovations. The zoo has good reviews!

So the day before, after all day at LFK, we didn't make it to the MDR. We ate at the buffet (which was OK...they had steak) and then went back to the room to crash early, so we didn't get a towel animal.

Today after Starfish Island, we felt refreshed after our showers and decided to hit the MDR and a movie. I think tonight was SpongeBob? Or maybe Guardians of the Galaxy. I can't remember.

Some noteworthy dishes from dinner.....

farfalle: this was bowtie noodles with a parmesan cream sauce, turkey, and peas. Very good. I ordered it as a starter and it literally had like 8 noodles (and way too much turkey) which was a nice size for a starter, don't get me wrong. It just has twice as much turkey as noodles. My mom had it as a main course and the turkey to noodle ratio was better lol

2015-29-6--15-54-41.jpeg_zpsne28eure.png

the potato soup. Josie ordered this and it was delish! I was hoping she wouldn't finish it all but she did. Dang!

2015-29-6--15-55-00.jpeg_zpsf4cahs84.png

bitter and blanc. I'm not a bread pudding fan, but my mom made me try hers and it was really good. I might just order it on my next cruise!

2015-29-6--15-56-00.jpeg_zpsgj1tm1u7.png

the fruit tray from the dessert menu. Fancy!

2015-29-6--15-55-41.jpeg_zpsnan7np7v.png

after dinner, we had to rush up to the lido deck to watch the movie. We were pretty late, but no biggie, we found seats and finished it up. It was so windy on the lido that night that I had to go back to the room to get a pony tail holder for my hair. It kept blowing in my face and driving me nuts!

2015-29-6--15-56-28.jpeg_zpspifk8eiy.png

We docked at Puerta Maya and could see that another pier is being built.

2015-29-6--15-57-20.jpeg_zps6xcgvxa1.png

we got off the ship as soon as we were allowed. We wanted every possible moment at Nachi Cocom!

2015-29-6--15-57-41.jpeg_zpsfwd8qycm.png

There was a dog sniffing every single bag looking for illegal food. I've never seen this before. I've seen the dogs but they've never been stopping everyone, and I always thought they were drug dogs, not food dogs!

2015-29-6--15-58-02.jpeg_zps9amm8ivj.png