Dining at the Captain's table

tourmaline

We went once. We were in a sky suite on Infinity. We were elite status. Our butler spilled the beans in a way. He said he was asked by the captain's club hostess who was "nice." Turns out there were only 50 elites on the entire ship so they decided that elites who were in suites were going. Apparently they got down to a few more and so she wanted to know who was nice.

Guess we made the cut.

We sat first seating with the Staff Captain and the Safety Engineer. It was fun. We hadn't brought a tux so my husband got a free rental. Free bouquet of roses! Champagne before dinner with the rest of the table. Invitation to tour the bridge the next morning. It was pretty cool.

Met some great people. We had the lowest suite at the table - everyone else was in penthouse or royal suite. Guess it pays to be nice. ;)

Prob. never happen again!

DH and I were invited on our Adriatic cruise. First time ever and no idea why. We were not in a suite, just an AQ and were very surprised to get an invite from the CC hostess. We didn't actually dine with the captain though. It was 2 officers who hosted the dinner.

It was very a very nice experience. Only thing we can think of is that there weren't that many Elites on our sailing and with 12 nights and two seating's to fill we made the cut.

One thing you don't do is ask the Captain.

We were at a Meet & Greet the Captain, and, some lady actually walked up to him and, asked if she "could get an invitation to the table".

That Captain was somewhat amused and, said that he "did not pick those guests; they were picked for the dinner invites by a 'process' at Guest Relations." :rolleyes:

We've eaten with the Captain or Staff Captain 4 times. And the Hostess was shocked when we turned her down one other time It's always been the Captains Club Hostess who has asked us. More than once, she has stopped by our table the first night to introduce herself. I honestly believe she is "scoping" people out to see if they would be good candidates for eating at the Captains table.

Since we have more recently started eating at first seating, it's always been the staff Captain. I believe the regular Captain eats at second seating.

As for the dinner itself, it's nice. You get wine, flowers for the ladies, a group photo, and sometimes a video of the whole cruise.

I've said this before, but since there may be some new members:

The table host may wish to invite certain people

HQ May want to invite some people

The most frequent cruiser on the cruise is usually invited

The second and third cruisers might be invited to a table, but rarely with the Captain

PH passengers are usually invited

Royal Suites may be invited

People celebrating a special event like a 50th anniversary may be invited

A top cruiser from another line might be invited

The Captain's Club Host/Hostess will invite people to fill the table. They look for people who they judge to be interesting and a good mix. They want people who demonstrate a sense of humor. Your cruising record and cabin category is not of primary concern to the Captain's Club Host/Hostess. They will tell you that an invitation is not a listed Elite benefit.Good looking, young females if the host is a younger male or wants to feel like a younger male can yield an invitation.

There are usually 4 tables on a 7 day cruise. Usually hosted by the Captain (first formal night, late seating)' the Staff Captain, the Chief Engineer, the Hotal Director. Others, such as GRM and Asst Chief Engineer may also host tables if there are more formal nights. They sometimes have a table for non formal nights.

Here I get into trouble, but truth is truth. Where you are seated idepends largely on your ranking. The most important passangers sits to the right of the host. If the host is male, a female would be seated to his right. If host is female, a male would be seated to her right. Those seated at the left of the host are the second most important. "Important" means to the company or host.

It is considered rude to ask for an invitation

I've been to more than 25 tables and I can assure you that the formula mentioned is the formula used on all ships. Feel free to shoot the messenger.

Edited by Orator

Here I get into trouble, but truth is truth. Where you are seated idepends largely on your ranking. The most important passangers sits to the right of the host. If the host is male, a female would be seated to his right. If host is female, a male would be seated to her right. Those seated at the left of the host are the second most important. "Important" means to the company or host.

"Important" meaning by their occupation, wealth, accommodations...what makes them important? What rank are the people that sit directly in front/across from of the Captain, and not to the sides? Or what about the people opposite the table from the Captain and to the left and right?

"Important" meaning by their occupation, wealth, accommodations...what makes them important? What rank are the people that sit directly in front/across from of the Captain, and not to the sides? Or what about the people opposite the table from the Captain and to the left and right?

I just knew that this would get me into trouble that's why I defined "important" as important to the company. The "top cruiser" is important simply because they are constantly cruising with the company. The Penthouse passengers are "important" because they are heavy spenders. I'm usually to the left when at a lower level table (that can also get me in trouble) and far away from the center if at the Master's table. Think of the seating arrangement at a head table and you'll get the notion.DW and I have been to more than our share of tables and now politely decline invitations unless the host is someone we really feel close to. I'm not even taking a tux on my B2b on Silhouette. I believe that you are on the same set of cruise and hope you get an invitation. The Captain and Chief Engineer on that cruise are enjoyable hosts.

Edited by Orator

Grandmothers are most important, mothers next.:)

Lawyers are least important, followed by bankers.:D

Paupers are placed before billionaires. Rightfully so.:cool:

It could never be something as simple as who spends the most money with the cruise line.:confused: LOL

Thanks for asking the question. I have seen folks who do not fit in any of the so called "important" categories invited to dine with the capn. Perhaps "important" is not always so easily defined.

I just knew that this would get me into trouble that's why I defined "important" as important to the company. The "top cruiser" is important simply because they are constantly cruising with the company. The Penthouse passengers are "important" because they are heavy spenders. I'm usually to the left when at a lower level table (that can also get me in trouble) and far away from the center if at the Master's table. Think of the seating arrangement at a head table and you'll get the notion.DW and I have been to more than our share of tables and now politely decline invitations unless the host is someone we really feel close to. I'm not even taking a tux on my B2b on Silhouette. I believe that you are on the same set of cruise and hope you get an invitation. The Captain and Chief Engineer on that cruise are enjoyable hosts.

No seriously, I am truly interested in your formula. Not judging you for what you said. ;)

We are not on your Silhouette cruises, though I'd love to be. We were on the Silhouette last May.

We have been invited to the Captains table on 3 separate occasions. Once, we declined. The two other times, we were seated across from the Captain. No suites, not important people, and Elite by default (RCCL Diamond.) I guess we are in the nice category.

Speaking of nice...on our last cruise, after having dinner with the Captain of the Century, he stopped by our table in the dining room on two other nights and struck up a conversation. He acted like he wanted to sit down with us, just be one of the passengers and hide out of the limelight. lol

Grandmothers are most important, mothers next. That's right and I play the part very well. ;)

Lawyers are least important, followed by bankers. Watch it! :D

Paupers are placed before billionaires. Rightfully so. :cool:

It could never be something as simple as who spends the most money with the cruise line.:confused: LOL

Thanks for asking the question. I have seen folks who do not fit in any of the so called "important" categories invited to dine with the capn. Perhaps "important" is not always so easily defined.

Edited by Iamthesea

No seriously, I am truly interested in your formula. Not judging you for what you said. ;)

We are not on your Silhouette cruises, though I'd love to be. We were on the Silhouette last May.

We have been invited to the Captains table on 3 separate occasions. Once, we declined. The two other times, we were seated across from the Captain. No suites, not important people, and Elite by default (RCCL Diamond.) I guess we are in the nice category.

Speaking of nice...on our last cruise, after having dinner with the Captain of the Century, he stopped by our table in the dining room on two other nights and struck up a conversation. He acted like he wanted to sit down with us, just be one of the passengers and hide out of the limelight. lol

Knowing the Host/hostess from past cruises is really a plus for an invitation. There seems to be a core of people who are usually invited and that's either due to friendships or money to the company. As with so many other things, an invitation is a for. Of marketing and public relations. I notice more first time Celebrity cruisers being invited to tables and that might be a good way to hook them for future business. On your next cruise discuss the criteria l've listed with the Captain's Club Host. Think they will attest to accuracy.

Very interesting.

When we went there were penthouse suite and royal suite guests at our table. But I sat on the Staff Captain's right. Hmm.

Well, whatever, it was an experience I don't expect again, but if it happens, cool.

Knowing the Host/hostess from past cruises is really a plus for an invitation. There seems to be a core of people who are usually invited and that's either due to friendships or money to the company. As with so many other things, an invitation is a for. Of marketing and public relations. I notice more first time Celebrity cruisers being invited to tables and that might be a good way to hook them for future business. On your next cruise discuss the criteria l've listed with the Captain's Club Host. Think they will attest to accuracy.

On our VERY FIRST cruise on the GALAXY we were asked to join the Captains table.

We did not even know about it.

Since then, we've had about 6 invitations. :)

The most interesting person at the Captain's Table was

the Head of Human Resources.. ;)

She was from Miami, by way of Kansas..What a trip she was. By far the most interesting person at a table yet.

Another time, our whole MDR table of 6 was invited. :)

last cruise we were invited to captains table by the captains club hostess when she booked our next cruise. she was helping out in the future cruise office and invited us while she booked our next cruise on the Reflection

On my last cruise I received an invite (assume royal suite, as it was only my 2nd cruise and had no status) and asked the couple next to me how they thought they got an invite, they laughed and said actually we were just walking by and the hostess grabbed us and asked us if we'd like to attend the dinner. Clearly a last minute cancellation and need to fill a spot. they were giddy with excitement, a great fun couple.

So lots of ways to be invited...!

We have been invited a number of times. You don't need to be in a suite.

It doesn't hurt to get to know the Matre'd and the host or hostess... they provide input to who is invited, if they know you does not hurt.

Years ago, we use to notice the hostess checking out folks in the MDR ... We don't go to the MDR on the newer ships anymore.