Are you a "Pier Runner" watcher?

susie8862

Our last cruise in March, we were in Jamaica. I was AMAZED at how many people just "strolled" down the pier PAST the time they were supposed to be on board.

No, it was not an excursion. People were coming from different directions.

About 15 minutes later....about 5 or 6 people are RUNNING down the pier.

We were sitting on our balcony enjoying a glass of wine and all of a sudden we hear everyone screaming...RUN..RUN...RUN....

My husband and I stood up and looked around..EVERYONE was on their balconies cheering on these people. Lol OMG. :eek:

We have never watched this before...I didn't know whether to feel bad for the people or think "hey, don't you have a watch"

It seemed like an event for all of the "cheering crowd".

Edited by susie8862
x

I'm usually one of the people yelling from our balcony for those people to hurry up and get on the ship so that we can leave. For once I would LOVE to see the ship pull away with all of those people on the dock - it would teach them a lesson to watch the time and to not take anything for granted!

Our last cruise in March, we were in Jamaica. I was AMAZED at how many people just "strolled" down the pier PAST the time they were supposed to be on board.

We were sitting on our balcony enjoying a glass of wine and all of a sudden we hear everyone screaming...RUN..RUN...RUN....

My husband and I stood up and looked around..EVERYONE was on their balconies cheering on these people. Lol OMG. :eek:

We have never watched this before...I didn't know whether to feel bad for the people or think "hey, don't you have a watch"

I pray it doesn't happen to me. That being said, I have seen some Youtube videos and my wife and I have gotten amused from them. It is sad, knowing how they must feel, being left, and wondering how to get back to the ship or get home. Especially if they left their passport onboard the ship. I plan to watch as well on our cruise :)

I do enjoy me some watching of pier runners! I probably should have some more sympathy for them because some of them might not have had control over getting back on time (flat tire, accident that backed up traffic etc.) but that is the risk you take booking your own excursions.

We were on the Destiny in Ochos Rios...I went down to deck 3 ( I think) to watch the pier runners and I saw this family (possibly two families together) make the bend to the final stretch of pier. It was after the back onboard time but before the sailaway time....Anyway....

There was four adults and three children...young children (5-7ish)...and as they made that turn the bridge sounded the ship's horn and the children panicked! They left the adults and were crying hysterically running toward the gangplank. when they got there they were yelling for the adults to hurry up....crying...sobbing...really emotional wrecks. Finally security calmed them down and they waited for the adults...who just ssssslllloooowwwwwwllllllyyyyy meandered the rest of the way down the pier...without a care in the world.

We felt so sorry for those kids but I bet you THEY will never be pier runners when they get older!!!!

Guest LoveMyBoxer

That is one of our favorite things to do! They should actually publish it as an event in the Fun Times! Drink in hand, we watch and we yell!:D

I'm usually one of the people yelling from our balcony for those people to hurry up and get on the ship so that we can leave. For once I would LOVE to see the ship pull away with all of those people on the dock - it would teach them a lesson to watch the time and to not take anything for granted!

I must admit we are "Pier Watchers" however, we are not the yeller's. On our NCL Sky cruise, we were in Nassau and the ship had just pulled away from the pier and we saw 3 runners yelling at the ship to stop.....which it did not.

OceanDreams

I'm planning on watching this (and crossing my fingers I'm never one of the runners). I'm hoping to watch from our balcony if we're docked on that side, but if not then I maybe we'll watch from one of the decks. :)

We were on the Destiny in Ochos Rios...I went down to deck 3 ( I think) to watch the pier runners and I saw this family (possibly two families together) make the bend to the final stretch of pier. It was after the back onboard time but before the sailaway time....Anyway....

There was four adults and three children...young children (5-7ish)...and as they made that turn the bridge sounded the ship's horn and the children panicked! They left the adults and were crying hysterically running toward the gangplank. when they got there they were yelling for the adults to hurry up....crying...sobbing...really emotional wrecks. Finally security calmed them down and they waited for the adults...who just ssssslllloooowwwwwwllllllyyyyy meandered the rest of the way down the pier...without a care in the world.

We felt so sorry for those kids but I bet you THEY will never be pier runners when they get older!!!!

Oh man, those poor kids. We always make sure we are back on the ship with HOURS to spare, we are afraid of being left in port.

On our two cruises, we didn't see any pier runners. I have seen the videos on you tube though, and I thought they were funny. This story though makes me sad for those kids. Poor babies!

My family calls this "The Running of the Drunks!" :D

It is one of the many reasons we book only balconies on our cruises.

I do feel sorry for what appears to be legitimate late comers but for the party crowd who tried to get that last Red Stripe/Dos Equis/Corona in before heading back to the ship are fair game in my mind.

We usually try to get back to the ship with enough time to shower, order room service and then settle in for the show! I don't yell for them to RUN FOREST RUN, but I sure do giggle while watching!

Cruise lines should get smart and "plant" an actor or two to come running for this show! :cool:

I don't recall ever watching or even hearing yellers, etc. If there were little kids involved, I think it would make me too anxious to see them potentially get left behind. My ignorance has been my bliss I guess, lol.

We tried to watch pier runners, but SO many people came in SO late- that (in Cozumel) at the sail away time there was still a line halfway down the pier. (Similar in Progresso, but not as bad.)

Since so many people were so late, no one had a sense of urgency, and we eventually left to enjoy the amenities of the ship (like the past guest party that was scheduled after sail away, but we hadn't left yet...) The only woman we saw run (with a stroller!) was on the Glory, she wasn't in a hurry until an officer spoke to her (probably to ask which ship she was on), and then when she realized all the people waiting were on the other ship, she sped up quite a bit.

We did have fun watching the two officers assigned to get people moving in the lines as fast as possible. We felt so badly for them. It was like herding kindergarteners...

Edited by skittl1321

Oh yes, we always watch for the runners. But we don't yell, because I'm usually videotaping, and we'd rather make snarky comments. I have a great one from last cruise where I'm singing along to "We're jammin'" that they're playing over the loudspeakers, but I'm changing the lyrics so I'm singing "We're waitin', and waitin', and waitin', for some late and lazy stupid sod." :rolleyes:

Sarcasm, it's what's for dinner. :D

I can't believe after all the cruises we have been on that I have never heard of pier runners. It makes me laugh out loud every time I think about it. We are booked for September and our group will definitely have a drink and a good spot to watch the entertainment!!:p

YOUTUBE!!!! I've watched a bunch of pier runner videos. Hilarious! However, I think I watched too many. My husband won't go ashore now unless we're on one of the ship's excursions lol Although our first and only cruise, our ship left a couple behind in Mazatlan. I think that had an impact.

I can't believe after all the cruises we have been on that I have never heard of pier runners. It makes me laugh out loud every time I think about it. We are booked for September and our group will definitely have a drink and a good spot to watch the entertainment!!:p