lobster question for the Royal----

Jetswdo

I just want to make sure that I understand my options for the 1 or 2 nights that I want lobster on the ship.

Ocean Terrace---It is $10.00 per person to get 4 small lobster tails? Are these the same taste, quality as mdr when offerred, for free? What night is lobster served in mdr? I know the formal nights are Tues and Fri--

Sabatinis and Crown Grill-- Is the lobster the same as mdr and or Ocean Terrace?

If so, then I would rather eat other things in both these restaurants.

I did see a few photos on this board, but forgot which links. I know the lobster won't be the fresh Maine ones, but that's ok. I just like eating it a couple of times in the carribean, for whatever reason....

I just want to make sure that I understand my options for the 1 or 2 nights that I want lobster on the ship.

Ocean Terrace---It is $10.00 per person to get 4 small lobster tails? Are these the same taste, quality as mdr when offerred, for free? What night is lobster served in mdr? I know the formal nights are Tues and Fri--

Sabatinis and Crown Grill-- Is the lobster the same as mdr and or Ocean Terrace?

If so, then I would rather eat other things in both these restaurants.

I did see a few photos on this board, but forgot which links. I know the lobster won't be the fresh Maine ones, but that's ok. I just like eating it a couple of times in the carribean, for whatever reason....

We were on the Royal's Oct transatlantic sailing and have no clue about "Ocean Terrace lobster", actually don't evern know nything about an ocean terrace on the Royal.

Could this be something on a Royal Caribbean Ship?

We did enjoy lobster in both the Dining Room and the Crown Grill on the Royal.

I have a screenshot of the Oceans menu:

The Royal Lobster: poached Maine lobster tail, lobster claw cucumber tartar, dilled egg salad, micro greens ($10 each)

Was that the Seafood Bar in the Atrium? (hardly ever saw anyone there)

Sorry did not even remember it was there.

B

Was that the Seafood Bar in the Atrium? (hardly ever saw anyone there)

Sorry did not even remember it was there.

B

That was it...think it's Ocean's Terrace. The Live done by Dave had photos of several things that looked tasty.

I took screenshots of menus from the Royal's very helpful intranet to "refresh my memory". ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer

I did not have the lobster tail, but what I did eat there (Chili and Lime Crab Margarita $6, Seafood Sampler for Two $20) was well worth the money I paid. Matt and Chris from my Week 1 Roll Call also ate there, as well as serval non-Cruise Critic friends I made, and they also all agreed their money was well spent.

The chef behind the counter was a true artisan, and I saw him prepare several dishes included a platter of six fresh shucked oysters, and it all looked and tasted amazing. I'm not really an oysters fan, but the Oyster Shooters were superb and I really enjoyed them. I can only imagine that the lobster tails there are just as good.

I highly recommend trying it at least once, even if you don't get the lobster. There are quite a few things on the menu I need to go back and get the next time.

Here are some pictures:

Chili and Lime Crab Margarita

11466213613_94670f68ee_c.jpg

Fresh shucked oysters

11241090133_b0604e7140_c.jpg

Oyster shooters

11241089653_edfb6926ab_c.jpg

Seafood Sampler for Two

11240939975_0f6573c2cc_c.jpg

11240940235_e151948f75_c.jpg

Also, with any drink order off of their menu, you can get a complimentary sampler plate. It was all VERY tasty!!!

11240939345_b8c873a1f8_c.jpg

Dave...your Ocean Terrace photos & experience make me regret not going there during our 18 day Med/TA. :( Unfortunately no Royal or Regal cruises on our radar...it sure would be great if one deployed to the West Coast. ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer

Dave...your Ocean Terrace photos & experience make me regret not going there during our 18 day Med/TA. :( Unfortunately no Royal or Regal cruises on our radar...it sure would be great if one deployed to the West Coast. ;)

My '2-week Dining Plan' came in real handy. ;) I don't regret not eating in the MDR as there were sooooo many other places to enjoy. Next time I'll probably do the same, make a 'plan of attack', but focus on some of the casual dining options I only did once, or spend more time up in the Horizon Court/Lido Deck venue or Alfredo's. I do want to go back to the Ocean Terrace Seafood Bar again too.

Let me say that probably every area in the world has their own special foods that are the envy of many. In Portland Maine, that specialty is lobster. Right now hard shell lobster is going for about 8.00 a pound.In summer this price drops to 4.00 a pound.

The thing about lobster is not to over cook it. The traditional way to prepare it is to bring about 3 inches of water to a boil, drop the lobsters in the pot head first (humane handling) and cover the pot. 20 min later and they are done. Serve immediately with melted butter. That's it. Pure heaven!

Most ships serve frozen lobster tails (some from Maine and others from????) that are often over cooked and sit for a while before being served. They try, but it's nothing like the real thing. This is changing. Celebrity ships load fresh lobster on board when they dock in Portland as do a few other upscale lines. This is a boost to our economy and a win win for everyone.

The point I am trying to make is that the lobster you will eat on Princess and most other mid priced lines is not great so don't get all excited and pay high prices for it. Save your money and come visit Maine.;)

The only seafood I like very ocasionally is coconut shrimp (Red Lobster)

popcorn shrimp, grilled shrimp in tacos. I only like to eat lobster on a cruise. On Celebrity it was very good in specialty restaurant. Not worth my time in dining room. So on Celebrity, I would eat it once at that specialty restaurant the next time. Now back to my post: Lobster is served in different places on the Royal. (Yes, I know it isn't as good as Maine Lobster, I get it, honest)---What I am trying to find out is if it is pretty much the same prep all over the ship, so I might as well just eat it in main dining room on second formal night, when it is served from what I understand. Now:

Seafood Bar: Royal Lobster (tails) $10.00 --Is it the same as mdr which is included in price of cruise?

Crown Grille?

Sabatinos?

If it all tastes the same, then I don't want to pay for it in specialty restaurants. So if anyone has had lobster in the different venues, which did you like the best? Thanks, Anita

The only seafood I like very ocasionally is coconut shrimp (Red Lobster)

popcorn shrimp, grilled shrimp in tacos. I only like to eat lobster on a cruise. On Celebrity it was very good in specialty restaurant. Not worth my time in dining room. So on Celebrity, I would eat it once at that specialty restaurant the next time. Now back to my post: Lobster is served in different places on the Royal. (Yes, I know it isn't as good as Maine Lobster, I get it, honest)---What I am trying to find out is if it is pretty much the same prep all over the ship, so I might as well just eat it in main dining room on second formal night, when it is served from what I understand. Now:

Seafood Bar: Royal Lobster (tails) $10.00 --Is it the same as mdr which is included in price of cruise?

Crown Grille?

Sabatinos?

If it all tastes the same, then I don't want to pay for it in specialty restaurants. So if anyone has had lobster in the different venues, which did you like the best? Thanks, Anita

On my first night aboard Royal Princess I ate in Sabatini's, and one person at the table closest to me had the Lobster Three Ways dish. It was a rather small tail, and looked exactly like what I had on Ruby Princess last year. I didn't enjoy it then, and I don't think I've ever read very many good comments about the Lobster Three Ways regardless of which ship it's served on. In the Crown Grill the lobster I saw (and ate) there were the smaller 4 ounce tails (exactly the same as served in all other Crown Grills), and they are served already split in half. Comments on the lobster there also usually run unfavorable with the lobster being rubbery and tasteless. I had one with my filet mignon this year (it was served already out of the shell) and it just didn't do anything for me. I didn't eat in the main dining room so I can't say personally, but there was a recent comment that they were rather 'plump and juicy'. The lobster tail in the Ocean Terrace Seafood Bar looked a little bigger and longer than that served in Sabatini's, was served out of the shell, and also had a lobster claw. Although I did not eat one of the tails, I did have the lobster medallions served with the food I ate there and they were very, very good. I really can't imagine that the one served there for $10 is the same as the one served in the MDR. What you may want to do is go to the Ocean Terrace Seafood Bar and ask the chef if you can see one of the lobsters they serve. I'm sure that he'd be more than willing to accommodate you.