When/how can we find daily port times for our itinerary?

Riversanddale

We like to know our port times so we can make best choices with our limited time. We're new to oceans so we have limited knowledge on this topic. We often like slower, leisure choices rather than squeezing everything into one day/one visit and we try to do something of shorter duration to allow flexible time. I need time for photos. And, yes, we realize that times aren't guaranteed but I feel like I'm starting our planning blind. Thanks for any insight.

Go to My Viking Journey, log in.

At the top you see Calendar. This is a daily calendar with port times of arrival and departure. They even list sea days , so you can use it for time of lectures , classes. Under My Trip there is also a dropdown for current sailings with the latest updated information, I presume. My cruise is not until March 2018:) so this is empty now.

The daily newsletter you receive each evening lists the arrival and departiure times for the port of call. I alwasy get back to ship a hour or 30 minutes at the latest before ship sails.

I love research, I read up on each port of call and make a list of the top things I want to see or experience. I read travel guide books, and look for good street maps of the town, read the port of call fourms here on CC and also on Trip Advisors for local advise.

Planning is fun for me, and yet at the same time, once I am on my cruise, I do expect there will be some changes or glitch, need to be flexible and have fun at my own pace.

Thank you Azulann. Great advice and about the same as I would pass along from our river experiences. Thank you especially for the tip on finding the port times. I also just stumbled on a page further into our Viking invoice that lists the information. For me planning and anticipating is half the fun and you are spot on with remaining flexible. We stay open to opportunities and go with flow once we leave on all of our travels. I love having quick info on options when plans take a turn. I don't want to have to take precious travel time fussing with details. Go with an attitude of expecting to enjoy and the chances are great that you will! :D

Also - if you want to guesstimate when excursions will depart and return (exact times won't appear until your MyVikingJourney goes live, N days before your cruise starts, dependent on cabin class) you can use the main ocean site. Refer to the nominal day by day itinerary for your cruise, which includes a list and descriptions of the excursions at each port including their duration.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Go to My Viking Journey, log in.

At the top you see Calendar. This is a daily calendar with port times of arrival and departure. .

In my mind, My Calendar is very clunky to deal with. You have to click through each day to get the departure times. However, if you click on Menu at the top left of the page and then choose "My Account" it will bring you right to the Journey Details for your next cruise and a simple list of days, ports and times. The one thing missing from this list is indication of docking or tendering for each port -- and that information can be found on your Viking invoice (not the invoice from your TA). The Viking invoice also gives you the dates for when when shorex and dining reservations open for you--and a whole bunch more important information.

it would be nice if it had day and date on the itinerary...on longer cruises it becomes hard to keep it all strainght while switching back and forth to excursions........

ie day 20 January 22 Aukland

maybe someday viking will change it

it would be nice if it had day and date on the itinerary...on longer cruises it becomes hard to keep it all strainght while switching back and forth to excursions........

Until they do, here's my solution: I'm still wed to my little pocket calendar diary, never could get the hang of an e-calendar and I still think in terms of a calendar grid. When I book a cruise, I fill the ports in on my calendar and keep it in front of me as I research. I think that even if Viking did start to put in day and date for us that I would still have my little pocket diary on the desk in front of me.

Being the techie that I am, I use an app called tripit. It imports all information from the email address you put in. Then, I display that to Google calendar. Any notes I want to add, I can. Even from my phone. Oh, and you can add the people traveling with you so they also have it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Being the techie that I am, I use an app called tripit. It imports all information from the email address you put in. Then, I display that to Google calendar. Any notes I want to add, I can. Even from my phone. Oh, and you can add the people traveling with you so they also have it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

I love TRIPIT and have been using it for years. What I like best about it is that you can use the phone app off line while traveling (for those of us who abhor data charges while traveling). I don't print it out but I do make a pdf that I send to the family in case they have to contact us while we are away. It makes that job easier.

Mia, save paper. Print to pdf.

Until they do, here's my solution: I'm still wed to my little pocket calendar diary, never could get the hang of an e-calendar and I still think in terms of a calendar grid. When I book a cruise, I fill the ports in on my calendar and keep it in front of me as I research. I think that even if Viking did start to put in day and date for us that I would still have my little pocket diary on the desk in front of me.

If you use a smartphone I highly recommend an app called WeekCal. Small one time charge, lots of functionality. I had a really good travel app called TravTracker that has a nice way to handle things like excursions but the developer decided to let it's flight fu functionality die (not making any money). And Tripit, nice as it is, isn't so great when it comes to things like tracking things like excursions. The interface has its quirks that drives me nuts. So I enter everything about our booked excursions into WeekCal and when the Ship's Daily comes out, update as needed (where to meet and when).

I forgot to mention that before the cruise while we're planning, I organize all the info I can get my hands on into a spreadsheet augmented with stuff like dates and estimates of when an excursion mat start based on ship arrival times. And more.

• 2 weeks later...

They actually have day and date on the itinerary. Go to my calendar->first line right corner "View trip summary"->click on it and scroll down to "Daily activities". You will see day, port in bold but the date below will be in very light grey. I didn't notice it until I read this thread :)

They actually have day and date on the itinerary. Go to my calendar->first line right corner "View trip summary"->click on it and scroll down to "Daily activities". You will see day, port in bold but the date below will be in very light grey. I didn't notice it until I read this thread :)

Also look at your invoice. There it is also shown by day number and actual date. Also indicates with a little red anchor if the ship sits at anchor and ferries passengers to the dock by tender. Its usually starts on page 3.