Is AFT (back of the ship) really bad?

Jolimont

I've always been more or less in the middle of the ship, once balcony, twice oceanview. This time we're going cheap, inside, we asked for guarantee 4A hoping for an upgrade which we kinda didn't get since we got a 4B. Now a cabin has been assigned and I'm scared: it's 2464 on the new Splendor, which is port aft (way back of the ship).

I have no idea what's good or bad about aft. Should I ask for a change? We're not prone to sea sickness, but I am a very light sleeper. Any tips? Thanks!

when you read about aft cabins most people are talking about the balcony cabins across the back of the ship.

aft cabins do run from the back elevator back.

there is no difference between cabins on the riveria deck- main deck.. to the lido deck. Most are all the same.

being where you are you might experince shuddering/vibrations when leaving or entering a port.

i see your cabin holds 4 people-- and cabins on either side of you hold 4 people.

i checked your sailing and its almost sold out- I see no inside cabins available at this time

There's no need to be "scared"!!! Sometimes, there's a vibration in the rear portion of the ship, but as far as ocean motion--it'll be no worse there, than anywhere else! If seas are rough, you'll feel it EVERYWHERE! If seas are smooth--then, lucky you!

I always choose the aft of the ship - if I cannot have one of the staterooms across the aft of the aft of the ship I still choose one in the aft portion of the ship. I have NEVER felt any "vibration" or any of the other things people talk about. I think the aft of the ship gives you a great, smooth ride.

Another question about an aft cabin...are there fumes and/or smoke or soot from the funnels?? I think I remember someone mentioning that the balcony usually had some soot on it.

i have sailed 7 times out of 10 on the aft and not experienced any soot or fumes. But I wipe down our chairs before we use them--and NEVER leave stuff there ovenight

We also book the stern cabins whenever possible. It's the most relaxing place on the ship--that is a stern balcony. Seems like you can see to the ends of the earth from there and the most beautiful sun sets. Love the wake and the sounds when going to sleep at night. We try to leave our balcony door open so the sound puts us peacefully to sleep.

We have experienced some soot, but the room steward was always good about checking out our balcony lounge chairs and cleaning them off if need be.

Don't worry go have a wonderful cruise!!:D

• 6 years later...

We had our first opportunity to book an aft cabin on the MSC Divina in March 2014 and LOVED it. There were only 8 or 9 cabins back there and the hallway was so quiet. the balcony was almost twice the size of other balconies - we even hung up a hammock so i could relax and read my book on the balcony. we had views of so much more from back there than being on one side or the other. we went on the Divina again in November 2014 and specifically requested an aft balcony and we were, once again, not disappointed. that location on the ship would be my first choice, but not if you have someone who cannot walk long distances in the event that the things you like to do on ship are toward the front - but great if you want to include this in your exercise regimen each day.

on a more humorous note - the first morning i noticed a ton of cigarette ash on our balcony (which was the end one) and we called the front desk. they immediately sent someone up to look and then spoke with the guests in the cabin above us because the man had been smoking and flicking his ashes off the rail (he denied to the manager that he was smoking but we watched him every day and after that event he would flick his ashes into his cupped hand). toward the end of our cruise, after a very windy night, we found long hair extensions on our balcony that we assume came from the cabin two doors up from ours - we had seen these ladies several times and they had long hair weaves. we assumed they went onto the balcony to take in the view and the wind took their hair right off of their head. the cabin steward was kind enough to dispose of them for us.

Edited by Tobias10
added text