Can you bring food on/off the ship?

sunshine2103

We have a few excursions planned that are somewhat long and physical without food provided so we were thinking of bringing power bars or something with us on the ship and then back off for the excursions. Is this allowed? Are there any restrictions with what you can bring on and off the ship?

We have a few excursions planned that are somewhat long and physical without food provided so we were thinking of bringing power bars or something with us on the ship and then back off for the excursions. Is this allowed? Are there any restrictions with what you can bring on and off the ship?

pre packaged only, NOTHING else.

I take sealed protein bars off and have never had a problem.

All of the above answers are correct - prepackaged / unopened food off or on. What I find interesting is that the long and physical tours you refer to don't offer any food. Most should at least provide a venue at some point where you can purchase food separately if not included in the cost. Water as well. I would double check that as the tour operators would be familiar with the fact that you cannot take food other than described off the ship with you. If that remains the case eat a very hearty breakfast before you leave.

Questions from a Newbie --

1. Should we purchase the concierge app - we would be callling home to check on family members.

2. Do "walkie talkies" work aboard ship?

3. Conflicting info on bringing wine on board for bon voyage? Would there be a corkage charge if we are only having it in our room? Is it better to purchase wine from the ship for use in room (i.e., less hassle)? Can you purchase soda for use in room? Iread somewhere if you purchase the soda beverage plan it has to be for each person in the stateroom (I don't drink soda but for the amount I drink I just want a bottle or two - the alcohol plan is too expensive. (I know these sound like silly questions but I am getting conflicting responses).

4. We have not made any shore-bound plans. Any suggestions? We only decided on taking this cruise 2 weeks ago and have not had time to research. BTW, I don't mind just staying on board ship and relaxing since we are both in our 70s (young at heart, though!). Also, I just came down with plantar faciitis and I'm hoping I'll be able to walk! I'm keeping positive thoughts, however, and looking very much toward this cruise.

Eileen aka "ErinsEile"

Each cruiseline has their own wine rules...which line will you be on? I think only NCL charges a corkage fee....the rest don't, unless you take your wine to the dining room.

On all ships, you can buy soda without a soda package. Usually in cans. The cost varies, but figure on about $2.50 per can. If you have the soda package, it's likely to be fountain soda, but you can certainly take it to your cabin! Most lines don't really care if you bring a bit of soda aboard with you!

A guidebook can help you with what to do in ports....libraries have them! Wear comfy shoes, and do your stretching exercises...that REALLY helps with your foot issues! (I suffer from that, too!) I also never travel without my anti-inflammatory meds, just in case!!!

Edited by cb at sea

Questions from a Newbie --

1. Should we purchase the concierge app - we would be callling home to check on family members.

Don't know what this is. Text messaging and emails sent when ashore at the various ports is the most cost effective means of staying in touch.

2. Do "walkie talkies" work aboard ship?

They are very hit `n miss due to all the metal that the signal would have to punch trough. They tend to be more of a source of aggravation than a reliable means of keeping in touch.

3. Conflicting info on bringing wine on board for bon voyage? Would there be a corkage charge if we are only having it in our room?

The NCL website has a very good Q&A section where just about all of your cruise line specific questions are covered. From they website: "Yes guests are allowed to bring wine or champagne onbaord. For each bottle that is brought onboard would have to corkage fee assessed to it. The corkage fees are as follows:

$15.00 USD 750 ml bottle

$20.00 USD 1,000 ml bottle

$30.00 USD 1,500 ml magnum

These fees are per bottle."

Is it better to purchase wine from the ship for use in room (i.e., less hassle)?

Can you purchase soda for use in room? I read somewhere if you purchase the soda beverage plan it has to be for each person in the stateroom (I don't drink soda but for the amount I drink I just want a bottle or two - the alcohol plan is too expensive. (I know these sound like silly questions but I am getting conflicting responses).

You can bring water & soda on board with you at no cost. For wine you will have to pay a corkage fee per bottle, refer to: http://www.ncl.com/faq#alcohol-consumption

You can review NCL's wine list via the following link which would alleviate carrying the wine and eliminate the corkage fee.

http://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/WineList_Fleetwide_071513.pdf

4. We have not made any shore-bound plans. Any suggestions? We only decided on taking this cruise 2 weeks ago and have not had time to research. BTW, I don't mind just staying on board ship and relaxing since we are both in our 70s (young at heart, though!). Also, I just came down with plantar faciitis and I'm hoping I'll be able to walk! I'm keeping positive thoughts, however, and looking very much toward this cruise.

Eileen aka "ErinsEile"

See above in red.

Off the ship ... no unless packaged and sealed by the manufacturer.

On the ship ... sometimes, depending. On HAL we've taken fresh flowers back on the ship with us. On Princess, we took some unpacked nuts back ... but, saw a woman with a big tray of cup cakes that she bought in port and she was not allowed to board with them.

LuLu

~~~~

In the ports where taking food off is banned, you can't do it. On the other hand, in the ports where it's allowed, you can. Some ports allow certain types of food to be taken off. It's not possible to be specific about the rules at your destination until you tell us what it is.

I've heard of ports (such as in Australia) where even sealed pre-packaged foods aren't allowed to be taken off into the ports. So it would help to tell which ports you're going to.

If you're on ship-booked excursions, you might want to look at the shore excursion info again. Sometimes a stop for a meal or snacks will be mentioned, including whether the meal is included. If you have booked an independent excursion, try emailing them for this info.

I do try to pack protein bars or other factory-sealed snacks and then slip one or two into my purse before I leave the ship. I've wished I remembered to do this when we were on an all day tour. The info did mention a lunch, so I had assumed we would stop at a diner in one of the small towns. Nope, the tour guide had purchased sandwiches before picking us up and when we stopped at a park, took out a cooler. They were apparently from a "gourmet sandwich" shop, but everything, including the condiments were added -- and I can't stand any kind of condiments. So I went without lunch other than the cookie and the off brand soda. At least, if I had remembered the Power Bar, my tummy wouldn't have been rumbling by the time we had returned to the terminal.

On our last cruise, at least, we were stopping at a diner, which actually was relevant to the theme of the tour (movies and waterfalls: we had lunch at the diner featured in the movie "The Descendants"). A few hours before lunch, the guide explained the lunch plans and asked for lunch hours so our food would be ready when we arrived -- and we got a choice of four entrees. And condiments, etc. were on the side!

Do take the restrictions (which are often mentioned in the daily newsletter for that port or mentioned when your ship pulls into the port) seriously. As someone who lives near an agricultural area, and remember some medfly sprayings, I understand the importance of respecting these laws.

tk u for taking time to respond with helpful info!

Just to help you out further as a new member of CC: you might want to open your own thread, put a good title == Questions about wine, for example -- and even better, if you have questions specific to NCL, you might want to ask those questions -- or search threads -- on the NCL board. Better than piggybacking on someone else's thread about whether you can take food off the ship, and have people (who may know the answers to your question) not see them if they are only opening threads that pique them.