Seabourn Gay Friendly?

Kruzngrl

We just returned from our first Seabourn cruise. Very mixed feelings. While it was an extremely luxurious cruise in terms of service and suites, it really didn't feel too gay friendly. My wife and I called to the pursers desk the first two nights and asked when there would be a LGBT or Friends of Dorothy meeting and nobody seemed to know what we were talking about. At the end of our third day at sea, we had a phone message that one was being organized in one of the lounges. Just so happened that it was during the dinner hour and only one couple(of may gay guests) attended. However, the cruise director attended, which was impressive. The gay passengers seemed to keep to themselves. It would have been nice to have met others. We love the 'Seabourn experience', however are slightly concerned about booking a future cruise. I wonder if others have felt this way. We are two, feminine, professional women, who don't really 'look' masculine, so it didn't feel like a discrimination issue. Several of the staff seemed to assume that we had husbands. Has anyone else had this experience? Also, we didn't notice any other gay female couples on board.

I have a totally different experience in over 200 days on Seabourn. I find them extremely gay friendly. True, there are rarely FOD gatherings but I think that's because the ships are so small we gays find each other with ease. Also I have never found gays to stick to themselves. My husband and I typically mix more with straight people on board as we choose the person, not the orientation. And finally, I do agree that there are fewer female couples than male but I think you will find that on all ships. One more thing I find the crew completely gay friendly.

Thanks for the positive feedback. Perhaps we can give them another try. In July, we took an Azamara cruise and found it to be extremely gay friendly. Evening FOD gatherings, etc., however not the 'uber luxurious' experience of Seabourn.

Thanks for the positive feedback. Perhaps we can give them another try. In July, we took an Azamara cruise and found it to be extremely gay friendly. Evening FOD gatherings, etc., however not the 'uber luxurious' experience of Seabourn.

We love Azamara and are more than happy not to have the 'uber luxurious' experience in exchange for the great times we have on board. We always find Celebrity and Azamara to be extremely gay friendly.

Hello Kruzngrl (s),

We sailed from Athens to Barcelona which was sold as either a 20 day cruise or two 10 day segments and there there were several gay couples onboard, some from Athens to Monte Carlo, some from Monte Carlo to Barcelona and a few from Athens to Barcelona. Yes, you are right in that most stayed to themselves. We did because we were traveling with our "children" and wanted to spend the time with them. I did speak with several people, all of whom were most friendly, especially the Australians. And we did receive nice greetings from passengers we had seen on previous cruises. As far as the staff and crew are concerned they couldn't have been nicer. I didn't hear of a "FOD" meeting. Was it published in the daily program? If not, how would the line know whom to contact? Curious. I can't recall a "FOD" gathering on any Seabourn cruise, except on last year's Atlantis charter! Did you post on the Roll Call that you'd be sailing? I hope you try another Seabourn cruise and if we're onboard I will make a point of meeting you - with or without the "kids".

Hello Kruzngrl (s)' date='

We sailed from Athens to Barcelona which was sold as either a 20 day cruise or two 10 day segments and there there were several gay couples onboard, some from Athens to Monte Carlo, some from Monte Carlo to Barcelona and a few from Athens to Barcelona. Yes, you are right in that most stayed to themselves. We did because we were traveling with our "children" and wanted to spend the time with them. I did speak with several people, all of whom were most friendly, especially the Australians. And we did receive nice greetings from passengers we had seen on previous cruises. As far as the staff and crew are concerned they couldn't have been nicer. I didn't hear of a "FOD" meeting. Was it published in the daily program? If not, how would the line know whom to contact? Curious. I can't recall a "FOD" gathering on any Seabourn cruise, except on last year's Atlantis charter! Did you post on the Roll Call that you'd be sailing? I hope you try another Seabourn cruise and if we're onboard I will make a point of meeting you - with or without the "kids".[/quote']

Sounds like you are sold on Seabourn! Wish we could have met you on our cruise. They did post one FOD meeting, after we requested them to do so, however it was scheduled during dinner. Our cruise was nice, I really shouldn't complain!

This is an interesting topic... Although I am straight, this is an important issue for me for a number of reasons (not the least of which being that I am human and think all people should be treated well - call me crazy.)

Anyway, Seabourn does not seem to have too many gatherings of any kind, for specific groups that I have seen. (on our first cruise on the Spirit, there was a Jewish Friday night service listed in the program for which a total of 3 people showed up - my husband didn't even come.)

One of the things Seabourn loves to tout is engaging with fellow passengers, and I have to tell you we have met a few that were a bit standoffish, but most - regardless of orientation - have been quite friendly, at least on the cruises we have sailed.

Glad to hear that you (mostly) enjoyed your cruise!

FKGirl,

Thank you for your post. AS I mentioned above one of the reasons Seabourn has so few gatherings is that they ships are so small and they rely on like minded people to find each other on their own. They do have a complete array of lectures, games, events etc. though and I agree that most SB passengers are friendly and outgoing.

FKGirl,

Thank you for your post. AS I mentioned above one of the reasons Seabourn has so few gatherings is that they ships are so small and they rely on like minded people to find each other on their own. They do have a complete array of lectures, games, events etc. though and I agree that most SB passengers are friendly and outgoing.

Right... I generally find like minded people while sipping champagne in the hot tub. If you drink champagne, (or wine, or rum, or tequila, or bourbon) then we are like minded :)

Hope to meet you aboard one of these days!

• 1 month later...

I too have found Seabourn crew and passengers to be "gay friendly", no matter if I'm traveling with my SO or solo. Each of my 7 cruises on SB seems to be the best. So good that I booked the 21 day Antarctic cruise. Give it a go, enjoy yourselves and other you meet. Some very interesting characters that cruise on SB.

Having over 200 days on Seabourn (and have cruised most all the other lines), I find the line one of the most gay friendly! As far as FOD meetings, they really don't offer one. On a transatlantic crossing several years ago, I had my own FOD party! I simply went down the guest list and highlighted name of gay (or thought to be) passengers. The pursers desk had invitations made and delivered. The party was at 6:30 PM with full bar service and hot and cold snacks. Really nice! Many of the crew, including many officers came as well!

Host Dan

• 1 month later...

Very interesting thread. My husband and I will board the Sojourn on 1/4 for a 68 day cruise LA to Hong Kong. We are Seabourn virgins, but have sailed on quite a few other lines. My hubby has posted a thread here asking for other gay folks on board and no replies months later. I am more than a little anxious about my fellow passengers since it is such a major time commitment. We intend to ask the cruise personnel to arrange a FOD meet-up, and Dan's suggestion for an organized cocktail party is super. I don't require gay folks to be happy, just kindred spirits. And bigots will probably get a piece of my mind! Life is too short, if you know what I mean. But I also fully intend to make the most of this highly-anticipated experience.

Actually,, you really don't need and FOD party on Seabourn. They ships are so small you will find each other with ease. But dii ask for one and I think they now call them LGBT parties since we no longer have to hide what they are. Fro the most part Seabournites are sophisticated and you won't have a problem finding kindred spirits. Enjoy your cruise.

We are two, feminine, professional women, who don't really 'look' masculine, so it didn't feel like a discrimination issue.

I only just noticed this thread as it has been bumped up on the board. I doubt the OP intended any offense by the quoted sentence, but wow, is there anyone who thinks that sexual orientation discrimination against lesbians is only directed at those who look "masculine"? Or that most folks think that only "masculine" looking women are lesbians? I'm a lesbian with short hair who wears slacks; does that make me "masculine"?

So many things wrong with that sentence. :eek:

I only just noticed this thread as it has been bumped up on the board. I doubt the OP intended any offense by the quoted sentence, but wow, is there anyone who thinks that sexual orientation discrimination against lesbians is only directed at those who look "masculine"? Or that most folks think that only "masculine" looking women are lesbians? I'm a lesbian with short hair who wears slacks; does that make me "masculine"?

So many things wrong with that sentence. :eek:

Turtles06, you totally missed my point. I wasn't generalizing the way lesbians appear. (In fact my wife and I have short hair and wear slacks on occasion). My point of the post was that there weren't any organized FOD meetings on Seabourn. Having never sailed them until this year, we weren't familiar with the protocol. We don't feel as though we require an FOD meeting, however it's a nice introduction to other gay travelers with similar interests. Not a big deal, and we will certainly book future Seabourn cruises.

TV24, wish we were going on your cruise! If we didn't have an older dog at home that needed attention, we would be there. Have a wonderful cruise!

Thanks, Kruzngirl. It would be lovely to have you and your wife on board. We would love to share dinner and travel stories with you. Our active travel schedule gets in the way of pet ownership. Taking care of ourselves is responsibility enough!

• 4 months later...

Hello,

My partner and I just booked the Spring 2015 crossing on Seabourn Quest and can't wait. We've cruised a lit on Azamara and really loved it but the new Azamara all inclusive is not as interesting to us. We're trying Crystal Symphony crossing this Fall 2014 also. Hope to see people on either upcoming cruises :).

• 2 weeks later...
I look forward to it.

Hi Wripro: My review was posted a couple of weeks ago. I did not mention any LGBT issues in the review, and happily there really weren't any. The Sojourn was indeed so small that the gay folks on board self-identified early on. I have to admit that we spent time with the guys; there was one very sweet lesbian on board during the first segment who actually sought us out and introduced herself, and we had dinner with her and some good times. The staff were very gay friendly and I cannot honestly point to any homophobia from the staff. However we did have a couple of uncomfortable interactions with some passengers, but those were probably due to politics or class issues, and not due to homophobia. There were two gay guys on board who were, frankly, not friendly, and who seemed more comfortable with doting women than with other gay men, but in the end, who cares? On the whole, the Seabourn experience was very gay-friendly. Now food quality...that is another issue...

Hello,

My partner and I just booked the Spring 2015 crossing on Seabourn Quest and can't wait. We've cruised a lit on Azamara and really loved it but the new Azamara all inclusive is not as interesting to us. We're trying Crystal Symphony crossing this Fall 2014 also. Hope to see people on either upcoming cruises :).

Bon soir JeanPartrick, Je pense que nous avons fait votre connaisance au Azamara pendant le crossing du Mars, 2013. We had a good experience on Seabourn this past winter (68 days), although the extreme cost and mediocre food quality made it not such a good buy in the long run. I would return to AZ if the price was right, but their new pricing/all inclusive/Amazing Azamara structure makes me look at their offers with great care. Bon vent et bon voyage! Tom and Ron