Passau Highwater

G.M.T.

Just got back from Passau, the Danube is vey high (nl flooding a yet). Could remain high for the next couple of days, current river level is 727 cm normally it is 475 cm. Due to peak early tomorrow morning (1st. August).

Passau have 4 levels of flood warning, at 700 cm, 740 cm, 770 cm and 850 cm , so by tomorrow morning flood warning 3 could be in place.

The real problem in Passau is going to be the suspension bridge, boats can only pass under it when the Danube is 630 cm or lower.

grafiken_abw_neu_php.jpg.b30f148b17725e47f912556f345553ce.jpg

Passau.jpg.3124235c43acd83b900aa6803a27b780.jpg

Edited by G.M.T.

Interesting. We went through there earlier this month all holding our breath to lighten the load. Then, after just a couple of days of showers, we heard it was almost too high. Amazing how these rivers ebb and flow with just a little (or no) rain.

Just got back from Passau, the Danube is vey high (nl flooding a yet). Could remain high for the next couple of days, current river level is 727 cm normally it is 475 cm. Due to peak early tomorrow morning (1st. August).

Passau have 4 levels of flood warning, at 700 cm, 740 cm, 770 cm and 850 cm , so by tomorrow morning flood warning 3 could be in place.

The real problem in Passau is going to be the suspension bridge, boats can only pass under it when the Danube is 630 cm or lower.

Thanks for your on the ground report...you and others proved to be a valuable source of info during last June's disaster. Hope those on upcoming cruises are watching these forums closely....we know that not all RC companies relay info in a timely manner :rolleyes:

Edited by remydiva

We are on the Viking Skadi and are "docked" about 20 km south of Passau. We are too high to go under the bridge which we can see from the ship in spite of them lowering everything on the top deck and not allowing anyone up there. We are awaiting a 10 AM briefing by the program director on our "options" for the day.

If the info posted earlier in this thread is correct I don't see any way we will be getting to Amsterdam on August 9th without skipping most of the places we were supposed to stop at. Hopefully that isn't the case.

Wish us luck.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

OK here's the plan for today for Skadi passengers. You can stay onboard and when the Danube gets low enough cruise upriver to a town north of Passau. The option is a 90 minute bus trip to Regensburg and then a walking tour and free time there. Then board the buses again for another 90 minute or so trip back to ship where they hope to have us back on board by 7 or 7:30 PM. Then a late dinner as the ship sails and hopefully gets to Nuremberg in time to do the tours there.

It will all depend on how fast the river drops.

Wish us luck again.

Water levels in Passau are slowing falling, but up stream from Passu towards Regensburg the Danube is rising.

Danube is currently running at 743 cm, still to much to get under the suspension bridge, forecate is the river will be at about 670 cm at 23:00 tonight.

OK here's the plan for today for Skadi passengers. You can stay onboard and when the Danube gets low enough cruise upriver to a town north of Passau. The option is a 90 minute bus trip to Regensburg and then a walking tour and free time there. Then board the buses again for another 90 minute or so trip back to ship where they hope to have us back on board by 7 or 7:30 PM. Then a late dinner as the ship sails and hopefully gets to Nuremberg in time to do the tours there.

It will all depend on how fast the river drops.

Wish us luck again.

We went on the bus trip and saw the main sites in Regensburg. The guide was good and had a good sense of humor. The bus trip was longer than Viking had told us but the bus trip home was a little shorter. As soon as we got on the ship it headed up river as we went to the dining room for dinner. Tomorrow we will be docking someplace and will be taking another bus trip to Nuremberg. This one is estimated as 2 hours with a return trip of at least an hour.

My wife's opinion is that what was a river cruise has turned into a bus tour. Right now my opinion is that we probably won't be including river cruises in our future vacation plans unless the cruise insurance companies start including river levels both low and high in their policies.

Talk at you all after our tour tomorrow. The Danube river is still very high with lots of current and debris.

We went on the bus trip and saw the main sites in Regensburg. The guide was good and had a good sense of humor. The bus trip was longer than Viking had told us but the bus trip home was a little shorter. As soon as we got on the ship it headed up river as we went to the dining room for dinner. Tomorrow we will be docking someplace and will be taking another bus trip to Nuremberg. This one is estimated as 2 hours with a return trip of at least an hour.

My wife's opinion is that what was a river cruise has turned into a bus tour. Right now my opinion is that we probably won't be including river cruises in our future vacation plans unless the cruise insurance companies start including river levels both low and high in their policies.

Talk at you all after our tour tomorrow. The Danube river is still very high with lots of current and debris.

At least you can take out 'cancel any reason' insurance which we can't.

I doubt that the insurance companies will change their policies regarding high and low water.

At least you can take out 'cancel any reason' insurance which we can't.

I doubt that the insurance companies will change their policies regarding high and low water.

Cancel for any reason insurance must be activated 24 hours before your cruise. Often you do not know that far in advance.

We are also rethinking future river cruises. I do not know how theses river cruise companies will stay in business with all the problems. You must book so far in advance and then be faced with too many possible problems. We would have left our current trip but we have additional travel plans for the end of the trip we cannot cancel.

On Avalon Vista, left Regensburg last night after having to be bused to visit City due to accident the previous night closing traffic on River. Woke up this morning at Straubing, drop off point for those on all day bus trips to Salzburg etc. Now sailing to Passau for walking tour at 1.00. Looks like we are luck with river levels dropping in last 6 hrs

The sausage place near the water is called Wurstkuchl and is right next to the stone bridge. It has been there since 1135 so it has to be good!! :)

Cross the stone bridge and there is a great Biergarten down by the river . . .

Cancel for any reason policies usually read as follows:

Optional Cancel For Any Reason Benefit

If you purchased the Optional Cancel for Any Reason Benefit and cancel your Covered Trip for any reason not otherwise covered by this plan, we will reimburse you for the percentage of the prepaid, forfeited, non-refundable Payments or Deposits you paid for your Trip provided:

your payment for this plan is received within 24 hours of the date your initial deposit for your Covered Trip is received; and

you are not disabled from travel at the time you pay your premium; and

you insure 100% of all prepaid Covered Trip costs that are subject to cancellation penalties or restrictions; and

the Covered Trip cost per person is no more than $10,000; and

you cancel your Covered Trip 48 hours or more before your scheduled Covered Trip departure date.

• 2 weeks later...