Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Cindy, there were absolutely NO Black Labs in the parade. They were all Yellow or Golden Retrievers.

It was quite a "yellow" display. I was very proud and probably woke up our neighborhood with my yelling......"look it's CCI in the parade!"

I think there were a few but not many :( CNN showed it so fast that even though we paused it and watched it in slo-mo we really couldn't make anyone out. Really disappointed that only one channel showed the parade at all and most of the time they were just talking. At one point the Navy band came by and they cut to Carson Pressley talking about what Mrs. Obama was wearing. Is that more important than Navy men? There's nothing like a man in a Navy uniform :D;) We wanted to hear the bands, but they talked through the whole thing.

When our puppy class gets new puppies they are mostly yellow labs. I asked if there was a conspiracy against black labs. There are only 2 blacks in our class. :( I think the one black lab was Fenway, named after the park. The puppy raiser was the only person I recognized.

Edited by rangeley

I think there were a few but not many :( CNN showed it so fast that even though we paused it and watched it in slo-mo we really couldn't make anyone out. Really disappointed that only one channel showed the parade at all and most of the time they were just talking. At one point the Navy band came by and they cut to Carson Pressley talking about what Mrs. Obama was wearing. Is that more important than Navy men? There's nothing like a man in a Navy uniform :D;) We wanted to hear the bands, but they talked through the whole thing.

When our puppy class gets new puppies they are mostly yellow labs. I asked if there was a conspiracy against black labs. There are only 2 blacks in our class. :( I think the one black lab was Fenway, named after the park. The puppy raiser was the only person I recognized.

The funny thing is....I NEVER gave Black Labs a second thought before 2002 and "Brenda Elizabeth".....Now, they're all I notice and look for! I love the Yellow's and Golden's but the Black Lab will always hold a very special place in my heart forever!

The funny thing is....I NEVER gave Black Labs a second thought before 2002 and "Brenda Elizabeth".....Now, they're all I notice and look for! I love the Yellow's and Golden's but the Black Lab will always hold a very special place in my heart forever!

If I recall correctly, you wanted a yellow lab this last time didn't you??

If I recall correctly, you wanted a yellow lab this last time didn't you??

I sure did. They have so many more Yellow Labs than they do Black and you can see their faces and eyes so easily in a picture, they're so easily seen on dark carpet, in a theatre, who doesn't love those big, brown eyes, and I just love them and on and on!!!!

When I was in TT and they brought two Black Labs for me to work this second time, and I saw "Horton", I was gone.....I was cooked, fried....shut the door...I was in love! Do you understand me? IN LOVE!!!!! ;)

I sure did. They have so many more Yellow Labs than they do Black and you can see their faces and eyes so easily in a picture, they're so easily seen on dark carpet, in a theatre, who doesn't love those big, brown eyes, and I just love them and on and on!!!!

When I was in TT and they brought two Black Labs for me to work this second time, and I saw "Horton", I was gone.....I was cooked, fried....shut the door...I was in love! Do you understand me? IN LOVE!!!!! ;)

I love my Goofy Brown Boy! :D And yes he is truly as goofy as he looks! :eek:

He has my heart! :D

IMG_1671.jpg.a44406c198a607c6d4b4f879a5c8dfbd.jpg

I love my Goofy Brown Boy! :D And yes he is truly as goofy as he looks! :eek:

He has my heart! :D

He's so handsome......and that look....well, it just belongs to boys!!!! I swear he looks like my Horty, only brown. Love his face! Enjoy him!

Can you imagine taking him EVERYWHERE you go, especially onboard a cruise ship with you....it's pure magic!

Flying black girl! Loopy labs you just love them! :D

And, she looks just like my Brenny. You have just passed all the necessary requirements to come into my clubhouse! All we need now is the "secret paw shake!" :D

Edited by wizard-of-roz

I am just tickled! I was in Costco this afternoon, and I saw this "teenage" yellow lab with a vest. So I asked the dad if he was a CCI dog. Yes! I asked if had seen the dogs in the inaugural parade. He did not but heard about it. He then invited my to say hi to the dog. Boy, did I get some good kisses! What a lover dog! :D

Yes, he was a CCI puppy trainer and the pup was to go to Oceanside. I wished them both luck and had to tear myself away from all the kisses! I hope my dog doesn't find out I was talking to another dog! ;) :D

I am just tickled! I was in Costco this afternoon, and I saw this "teenage" yellow lab with a vest. So I asked the dad if he was a CCI dog. Yes! I asked if had seen the dogs in the inaugural parade. He did not but heard about it. He then invited my to say hi to the dog. Boy, did I get some good kisses! What a lover dog! :D

Yes, he was a CCI puppy trainer and the pup was to go to Oceanside. I wished them both luck and had to tear myself away from all the kisses! I hope my dog doesn't find out I was talking to another dog! ;) :D

You had a "sighting".......They're so rare....I know exactly what you mean about being "tickled", I feel exactly the same way when I see another CCI dog.

Your dog will absolutely know and wasn't it worth it! ;)

I love the Chocolates but you NEVER see them at CCI.

Probably because they're so goofy ... But he is such a kind soul and so caring, he is just the best companion. The girl dog, ah well, she has her own agenda, usually involving a red ball!

I'm in Roz's Clubhouse! WooHoo!

Thank you so much for your lovely comments :D. I get the filthiest looks from the choc boy if I have been anywhere remotely near another dog and he of course smells them instantly when I come home! He even has been known to refuse his "haven't you been a good boy" welcome home biscuit with a shake of his head no less! and I get a look of total disdain with a "who have you been with?" It lasts for about 30 seconds whilst he considers this and then "hunger" or is that "greed" overtakes him and all is forgiven for that biscuit!

Edited to add: Rangeley, yes you're right they are not the brightest but they are the best huggers in the whole world. Think it must be from the boxer strain cos labs are usually so smart!

Edited by fairbourne

I asked a trainer why I NEVER saw a Chocolate Lab at CCI, her answer was that they just don't have breeders that are Chocolate and they're not given Chocolate puppies to train. She didn't think that they were any less smart than the Yellow's, Black's or variations thereof!

Although, I've known friends with Chocolate's and it seemed they were a bit "dingy" to me!!!! Kind of like "space cadet's!" If you get my drift!!!! :rolleyes: ;)

Probably because they're so goofy ... But he is such a kind soul and so caring, he is just the best companion. The girl dog, ah well, she has her own agenda, usually involving a red ball!

I'm in Roz's Clubhouse! WooHoo!

Thank you so much for your lovely comments :D. I get the filthiest looks from the choc boy if I have been anywhere remotely near another dog and he of course smells them instantly when I come home! He even has been known to refuse his "haven't you been a good boy" welcome home biscuit with a shake of his head no less! and I get a look of total disdain with a "who have you been with?" It lasts for about 30 seconds whilst he considers this and then "hunger" or is that "greed" overtakes him and all is forgiven for that biscuit!

Edited to add: Rangeley, yes you're right they are not the brightest but they are the best huggers in the whole world. Think it must be from the boxer strain cos labs are usually so smart!

Anyone who lives with a Lab deserves to be in some "clubhouse", why not mine! ;)

You my friend know exactly what it feels like to have a Lab hair in your eye, in your mouth, on your toilet seat, in your shower and my favorite place of all; in your food! :mad:

Awwwwwww, what would life be without the Lab and their amazingly floating hair!!!!!! :eek:

Maybe we should call it the Tumbleweed Clubhouse! :D

Good one! My family doesn't come to my house anymore for the holidays because of the "tumbleweed" problem.

Now, ask me if I miss doing all the work in preparation for the dinners and the clean-up afterwards............NO!

Thank you Brenda and Horton for changing the course of my life!!!!! In a very good way!!!! :p

Good one! My family doesn't come to my house anymore for the holidays because of the "tumbleweed" problem.

Now, ask me if I miss doing all the work in preparation for the dinners and the clean-up afterwards............NO!

Thank you Brenda and Horton for changing the course of my life!!!!! In a very good way!!!! :p

Tumbleweed, you haven't seen tumbleweed until you've been to one of our CCI get togethers. We usually have between 6 and 12 CCI dogs there! Not that's tumbleweed!!

Tumbleweed, you haven't seen tumbleweed until you've been to one of our CCI get togethers. We usually have between 6 and 12 CCI dogs there! Not that's tumbleweed!!

I have been.......My dogs are Black...so, I wear black pants most of the time. And, of course, the room is filled with Yellows too...well, if you would see my clothes, my leashes and even my dogs when I walk out of the room.....It looks like someone was throwing confetti hair and I got the brunt of it!!!!

I had no idea that Labs shed as much as they do.....I'm so glad I didn't know this before I applied in 2000 or I my not have ever had the glorious experience of walking with a CCI Service Dog!!! :)

Hey Cindy,

Just wondering if you , John and Wex are planning on going to the CCI graduate workshop on April 6th? We are planning on going because we will also be able to to our 3 year recertification the same day.

I love the workshops....I learn so much and get to see other folks, just like me [well, not just like me!] And, I get to gather "tumbleweed!" :o

Ours is in June and I'm going to bring my 13 year old to show her off. Of course Horty will go too but Brenda will definitely be the "hit" of day for me!!!!! ;) She's truly our little darling!

Hey Cindy,

Just wondering if you , John and Wex are planning on going to the CCI graduate workshop on April 6th? We are planning on going because we will also be able to to our 3 year recertification the same day.

We are not going. Our area has been chosen for the nailclipping/grinding thing. I'll post part of the email, it's easier to understand than me trying to describe it.

I have some exciting news! CCI and its Wounded Veteran's Initiative has been chosen, by Especially for Pets, Inc. as the recipient of the Nail Clipping 2013 Q2 Fundraiser! This program is described below. All seven EFP locations offer nail clipping/grinding. The management team accepts applications from all animal related 501( C ) non profit organizations. I submitted an application, on behalf of CCI, with the target recipient being the Wounded Veteran's Initiative. Four organizations are chosen each year and CCI was chosen for 2013-Q2, April, May and June. In recent years, donations have amounted to an average of $7,000 to $9,000 per organization! That's a lot of paws!

Someone has to be at each EFP location throughout the 3 months and our date is April 6th.

Edited by rangeley

I love the workshops....I learn so much and get to see other folks, just like me [well, not just like me!] And, I get to gather "tumbleweed!" :o

Ours is in June and I'm going to bring my 13 year old to show her off. Of course Horty will go too but Brenda will definitely be the "hit" of day for me!!!!! ;) She's truly our little darling!

We have never been to the workshops. It seems we have something doing everytime it comes up. Luckily for DKD it coincides with your recert. I think we have our recert next April, hopefully they will be up here in our area.