Leaving a tour early - polite?

Hoyaheel

I've read here many times about people continuing on their own at the end of a port tour instead of returning to the boat with the guide/group, and I've read of people skipping included tours and going off on their own. My question is - is it possible & more importantly - acceptable/polite - to leave a tour in the middle if it's not quite what you're in the mood for.

Assuming I can get back to the boat on my own etc - how is this viewed by the guides? I wouldn't just disappear but would notify the guide.....Just wondering. If it's frowned upon, I can see myself skipping tours to get more alone/Market time as desired, but I do enjoy history & architecture so some tours with background would be nice....

(note I am asking specifically about port tours that are included and not pre or post cruise options, and not anything that would involve a bus ;))

Even if the tour does involve a bus, you can ask the guide when/where to meet them. The important part is that the guide know to lower the count, so they aren't waiting for fantom people.

If we are not enjoying a tour, we leave. Whether or not we let the guide know depends on the circumstances but we normally do, especially if they are counting heads.

We never feel compelled to stay if we are not enjoying the guide, the pace, the tour in general.

We were on the Viking Amsterdam city tour this spring and decided to strike out on our own part way through. I told the guide, and she didn't mind at all. She was eager to help us with directions and/or suggestions on other places to visit.

FuelScience

If we are not enjoying a tour, we leave. Whether or not we let the guide know depends on the circumstances but we normally do, especially if they are counting heads.

We never feel compelled to stay if we are not enjoying the guide, the pace, the tour in general.

It is important to let your tour guide know, but also mention it to another group member so the group is not held up looking for you. We have had people leave and the group stayed almost an hour searching for them only to find them already on the ship when we returned. Nobody knew they just walked off and left the group.

Edited by Worldcrzr

It is important to let your tour guide know, but also mention it to another group member so the group is not held up looking for you. We have had people leave and the group stayed almost an hour searching for them only to find them already on the ship when we returned. Nobody knew they just walked off and left the group.

While true in some cases, it does not apply in all IMO and IME.

We have been on multiple walking tours which left from the boat where no headcount was taken. Groups were quite large in these cases. We simply walked away when we got bored. There was no reason to let the guide know in this instances.

If they are counting heads, then I agree it is courteous to let them know,

On our river cruise, we were always able to leave the groups early, but always told the polite thing to do is to let the guide(s) know as a courtesy as they were always taking a head count (especially if there was a bus to be boarded at the end). We heard tales of groups late in returning to the ship because they were waiting for people who neglected to mention they were leaving the group early..:).

While true in some cases, it does not apply in all IMO and IME.

We have been on multiple walking tours which left from the boat where no headcount was taken. Groups were quite large in these cases. We simply walked away when we got bored. There was no reason to let the guide know in this instances.

If they are counting heads, then I agree it is courteous to let them know,

I would say that if they are counting heads, it is a requirement that you notify the guide, not a courtesy. If you do not notify them, the entire tour may be held up while they are trying to find out where you are.

DON

Sure, we have done it from time to time.

As others have indicated, practice common courtesy and let the guide know that you are leaving the group if it appears they are taking a head count.

You will get a mix of passengers on every river cruise - some who really enjoy the guided aspect of the tours and others who absolutely abhor the idea of someone else being in control of their vacation time.

On a Christmas cruise, we have found there is usually plenty of time to enjoy the markets in addition to taking the walking tour being offered. If the weather is cold, a tour that goes indoors at times can be a real blessing rather than spending four or five hours standing outside in the markets.

DW seems to enjoy the day better if we don't freeze our derrieres.