I live in Funchal - Madeira Island. I can advice

Yes, of course. Bus #31 is to "Jardim Botânico", which means Botanical Gardens and 31A, just goes a bit further up, till it reaches the Botanical Gardens cable car station, so it says "Teleférico Jardim Botânico"

Yes, as time is limited, I think you should stick with the HOHO bus and try to do the 2 routes.

I remember readind somewhere that the last trip to Camara de Lobos is at 4:30pm, but you better confirm with the driver.

Thank you Biaria. We'll be arriving today at 2pm, looking forward to it.

Biara,You are a wonderful wealth of information. It is all a little overwhelming with so much to see. We will port in Funchal on Friday, Sept 7 from 9-6. Since this is our first visit, I was hoping that you might suggest an itinerary for the day. We are a party of 8 and all active.

Hi again aunteemom,

I already answered this question on the new thread you started, but I'm posting it here also, as it may come in handy. At the same time let me thank you for your kind words :-)

As you have a good amount of time on Madeira, you may like to consider a full day west side tour, for instance - a very popular route with first timers - including Porto Moniz, Paúl da Serra, Cabo Girão, to name just a few.

You can also choose to take a half day tour - usually to the central part of the island - and spend the other half of the day exploring Funchal town.

Or you may like to just browse around town, visiting the churches, gardens, a wine lodge, then a ride up to Monte in the cable car, or you take the two HOHO bus routes, one in the Funchal district area and the other one to Câmara de Lobos.

Buying the Yellow HOHO bus ticket, you'll have access to the public transport for free and you may be interested in going to the Botanical Gardens - bus #31 or #31A. Or up to Monte on bus #20, instead of the cable car.

Thank you for responding so quickly. If we prefer to tour independently, is this doable without a guide? Do you feel that touring for a full day is a better option that taking in the gardens, Monte and the town.

Hello again aunteemom,

Whatever you choose to do is good. It's entirely up to you to decide what you feel is the best way to spend your time on the island.

Yes, you can see the town on your own. Only if you decide to take a tour, you'll be needing to hire an 8 passenger van with driver/guide.

• 4 weeks later...

Could anyone recommend a tour option for someone in a wheelchair? He can walk very short distances, but would be looking for more "riding" than walking. :) Any vendor recommendations as well?

Hi Budget Queen,

Madeira can easily be seen without much walking, so any normal tour will do. Make all the arrangements in advance and I'm sure whoever takes you on the tour, will be particularly careful to stop right on the spot for sightseeing.

Hi FOXTROT,

To drive all the way round the island non stop, it'll take about 5 hours. However I don't think that's what you're planning to do, so, to take time to stop at the several interesting spots, it may take about 10 hours.

We just wanted to add a comment based on our own experience on this island (we have visited Funchal 4 times). We have really enjoyed Funchal, but the island outside of the city is absolutely gorgeous and quite fascinatiing (parts of it remind me of New Zealand). On our last two visits we rented cars and did the West on one visit and went all the way East on our most recent visit (last month). I cannot imagine trying to do both sides in one day!

Hank

Thank you both for the fast responses. Hank do they drive the U. S. way or on the wrong side?;)

We like to visit beaches. We can usually visit a lot of beaches & then pick one to spend some time at. We can also see a lot of the islands.

You're welcome.

Here, we drive on the right side of the road.

Hlitner is right, better see each side of the island on separate days.

FOXTROT, remember to include the inland highlights on your tour, such as the Nun's Valley, Pico do Areeiro, Paul da Serra.

Most of Madeira's beaches are pebbled, but Prainha, in Canical, is a natural dark sand beach - you'll have to walk downhill to get there, though, with the unavoidable uphill walk on the way back. In Machico and Calheta we have artificial yellow sand beaches of easy access.

We just wanted to add a comment based on our own experience on this island (we have visited Funchal 4 times).

We have been to Maderia only once but cannot wait until we can go again. Perhaps in 2013.

I continue to read Biaria's posts about beautiful Funchal and Madeira Island. Greetings to Daniel (our taxi driver and guide in 2011).

Jim and Pam

Our photos of Madiera:

• 3 weeks later...
You're welcome.

Here, we drive on the right side of the road.

Hlitner is right, better see each side of the island on separate days.

FOXTROT, remember to include the inland highlights on your tour, such as the Nun's Valley, Pico do Areeiro, Paul da Serra.

Most of Madeira's beaches are pebbled, but Prainha, in Canical, is a natural dark sand beach - you'll have to walk downhill to get there, though, with the unavoidable uphill walk on the way back. In Machico and Calheta we have artificial yellow sand beaches of easy access.

I just came upon this thread so please forgive me if I am asking a question already answered. We will be arriving by cruise ship in May 13. I understand that the beach Porto Sando (I am probably misspelling this) is nine miles of sandy beach. Is this true? How far is it from the port? How do you get there from the port? Are we foolish to spend our time there rather than exploring the island itself?

Hello Unsinkable,

Porto Santo has this beautiful 9km golden sandy beach, but it's Madeira's sister island, so not very doable to go there on a cruise visit. Very recently, some cruise liners started docking there, but it won't be the case with your cruise.

There's lots to see in Madeira, though, either in Funchal or round the island.

Hello Unsinkable,

Porto Santo has this beautiful 9km golden sandy beach, but it's Madeira's sister island, so not very doable to go there on a cruise visit. Very recently, some cruise liners started docking there, but it won't be the case with your cruise.

There's lots to see in Madeira, though, either in Funchal or round the island.

Sorry to belabor the issue, but are there any sandy beaches accessible from the port?

I know there are lovely places to explore on Madeira, but swimming in the sea is something I long to do. Our cruise ends in Amsterdam and we have rented a studio apartment there for a month. I know having lived in Holland for 4 years awhile ago, that swimming in the North Sea is not an option.

Perhaps sight seeing might be best...

In Madeira we have two artificial sandy beaches, in Calheta and Machico and a natural black sand beach - Praínha, in Caniçal. I'd say you'll probably find Praínha a better beach, even thought the sand is black, because the other two are not really by the open sea.

From the port to Praínha it's about 30 minutes by taxi and you can even combine the beach with a bit of sightseeing, if you like.

I must warn you though, that from the street down to Praínha beach, it's a 5 minute downhill walk.

In Madeira we have two artificial sandy beaches, in Calheta and Machico and a natural black sand beach - Praínha, in Caniçal. I'd say you'll probably find Praínha a better beach, even thought the sand is black, because the other two are not really by the open sea.

From the port to Praínha it's about 30 minutes by taxi and you can even combine the beach with a bit of sightseeing, if you like.

I must warn you though, that from the street down to Praínha beach, it's a 5 minute downhill walk.

Thank You!

Pleasure and enjoy your day in Madeira.

Biara you are such a treasure and give us so much guidance for visits to Madeira!

Do you give guided tours? If not can you recommend someone who does? Do we actually need a tour guide to see the best of the Madeira?

Hello again Unsinkable,

Thank you so much for your kind words :-)

I don't give guided tours, I'm just someone who loves her island.

I'd love to help you with a guide, but it's against Cruise Critic's rules - I'm a local so I'm not allowed to recommend anybody, but you'll find them on Google, if you wish.

To walk aroung Funchal and other simple things, like going up to Monte in the cable car or to the Botanical Gardens in the bus, for instance, you'll be quite fine on your own, but if you wish to see further, choose an English speaking driver and he'll serve as a guide as well.

Hi. I truly appreciate all the great information you provided. Our day in Funchal was delightful. It was a Sunday and a holiday (Portugal Day) but we had a great time even though many places were closed. I don't know if you ever mentioned this but there is this really good Art Project where the doors are painted. I believe the street is Santa Maria. We loved the creativity and art of the doors. We also found this wonderful little (non tourist) place on the street where we had choriza over a flame and cooked it while waiting for the flame to die. A cold beer and "roasted" chorizo with some olives were great on a hot day. Thanks again for your help.

Hi TERRIER,

I'm not sure if I ever mentioned it here, but you're right - the Art Project in the Old Town is very good.

I'm pleased to know you enjoyed your time in Funchal. You made a good point here, even with the shops closed, the town is so interesting that you'll have lots to fill your time with.