Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I'm going to try those rice cakes. My Dogs for the Deaf trainer suggested adding Cheerios (along with the goodies like Zukes training treats) for rewards to help keep the weight down.

Yesterday, I took Raylene into PetSmart (big mistake - WAY too much stimulation going on for novice handler me to deal with), and took her right back out again. To distract her, I was alternating some of the Zukes with Cheerios for a sit-stay, and she promptly spit the Cheerios out!

Chris, Raylene is just beautiful!! Best of luck with her. :D

I truly believe in the power of the pack. When Brenda would be called or when she was given a command Horton followed her and did what she did. She was a great "leader" and did not allow him to misbehave. She led him by ignoring him and walking away from him. Such a strong and wonderful leader.

Now that all the "leaders of my pack" are gone I am re-establishing my dominance. Horton is a follower and definitely needs direction. When he acts-up he's obnoxious. If left to his own devices we'd be a scrambled mess!!!! :eek:

Sometimes I find myself wanting to "fall apart" and do "nothing"......doing nothing is Horton's favorite thing to do!!!! But, if I did that too much I'm afraid there would be no kind of order in my house!!!!

Bailee and Brenny were so much alike. Bailee was the leader of Wexler. When he came home she taught him everything, how the household worked, when they were suppose to get something (cookies,food). He followed her lead all the time. Now we comment how he does things just like her. She taught him well. :D

This is my first ever try at posting in public so please forgive any mistakes.

I am a disabled (100%) U.S. veteran and I travel with my certified service dog Ginger. We have been on 11 cruised together and have been treated with respect by all crews and passenger with zero problems until yesterday. We booked a 20 day cruise on Oceania and paid the full amount because it sails Aug.2,2014. I received a call back from my travel agent who told me Oceania refused to allow Ginger to travel. I told her there must be a mistake because I have sailed with Oceania several times before and there was no issues. When I called Oceania, I was told "flat out" that my dog was not allowed and was not welcome on their ship. The lady (Natasha I think) was firm. She stated that because the ship did not touch the U.S. on this cruise Oceania was not required by law to allow Ginger onboard and because they were not required, they won't allow it.... period. When I asked to talk to a manager she told me it would do not good because that was policy and there was no manager available.

I had my agent cancel the cruise and have the credit posted to my credit card. As I said above we are not new to cruising(Hal, Princess, Oceania, etc.) and have never had a problem of any kind, not even on a trip to St. Petersburg, Russia.

Sorry this is so long but I needed to vent and let some folks know how Oceania feels about disabled people. If not required by law .... they don't want you,

Thanks,

Jim:mad:

Cheerio story that's dog-related, although the dog is not a service dog. My little four-pound Yorkie-Maltese mix is made of balsa wood and milkweed. She would blow away in a strong breeze. One day she found a Cheerio I'd dropped and decided to kill it. This involved about ten minutes of pouncing on it, batting it around, yapping at it, and springing around in an incredibly cute but ridiculous manner. IDK how many calories one Cheerio has in it, but whatever the number, she expended far more calories being the Mighty Hunter.

One of my mini-wiener dogs (who is a therapy dog) was watching this entire performance. He finally just shot out from under his chair and snorked up the Cheerio prey.

Wish I'd video'ed it.

Bailee and Brenny were so much alike. Bailee was the leader of Wexler. When he came home she taught him everything, how the household worked, when they were suppose to get something (cookies,food). He followed her lead all the time. Now we comment how he does things just like her. She taught him well. :D

Cindy, I wish I could say that about Horton. He still is easily "spooked" by outside noises and sometimes will lay at my feet and follow me around like a lost soul. Brenda knew [sensed] when and where to be in relationship to me after about a year.

Of course she didn't have another dog in our house when she first came home, she was "top dog" always. I'm told that it's also the "boy" dog thing that they're not as intuitive as girls. He's sure a love and much more cuddly than Brenny ever was.

This is my first ever try at posting in public so please forgive any mistakes.

I am a disabled (100%) U.S. veteran and I travel with my certified service dog Ginger. We have been on 11 cruised together and have been treated with respect by all crews and passenger with zero problems until yesterday. We booked a 20 day cruise on Oceania and paid the full amount because it sails Aug.2,2014. I received a call back from my travel agent who told me Oceania refused to allow Ginger to travel. I told her there must be a mistake because I have sailed with Oceania several times before and there was no issues. When I called Oceania, I was told "flat out" that my dog was not allowed and was not welcome on their ship. The lady (Natasha I think) was firm. She stated that because the ship did not touch the U.S. on this cruise Oceania was not required by law to allow Ginger onboard and because they were not required, they won't allow it.... period. When I asked to talk to a manager she told me it would do not good because that was policy and there was no manager available.

I had my agent cancel the cruise and have the credit posted to my credit card. As I said above we are not new to cruising(Hal, Princess, Oceania, etc.) and have never had a problem of any kind, not even on a trip to St. Petersburg, Russia.

Sorry this is so long but I needed to vent and let some folks know how Oceania feels about disabled people. If not required by law .... they don't want you,

Thanks,

Jim:mad:

Wow! Jim, I think Oceania is making a huge mistake. They're certainly not making any friends and are acting horribly towards a U.S. Veteran but, they are acting within the law. They simply don't care and have lost any future business I would ever have given them. And, I hope that anyone who reads this will also boycott using Oceania Cruise Lines in the future. Or, at least, until they change the way they do business with the ADA and Service/Working Dogs.

I'm afraid, depending on what ports a ship docks in will dictate what Federal Laws they need to enforce and are required to follow!

Jim, I'm sure you'll be able to find another cruise line to spend your money with.

Cheerio story that's dog-related, although the dog is not a service dog. My little four-pound Yorkie-Maltese mix is made of balsa wood and milkweed. She would blow away in a strong breeze. One day she found a Cheerio I'd dropped and decided to kill it. This involved about ten minutes of pouncing on it, batting it around, yapping at it, and springing around in an incredibly cute but ridiculous manner. IDK how many calories one Cheerio has in it, but whatever the number, she expended far more calories being the Mighty Hunter.

One of my mini-wiener dogs (who is a therapy dog) was watching this entire performance. He finally just shot out from under his chair and snorked up the Cheerio prey.

Wish I'd video'ed it.

What a cute story. You had me laughing just picturing that little bugger going after the "cheerio prey!" :p

What would our lives be like without these characters in them? ;)

Edited by wizard-of-roz

That's so funny about spitting out the Cheerios. I love Cheerios and will have a bowl every now and then. I like to carry the bowl to the living room and, of course, along the way I leave a Hansel & Gretel trail. Horton loves Cheerios but for training purposes I would stick to removing some of his meal kibble [it helps if they're on dry kibble for their meals.] Just take some of it and keep it in your pocket and slip one to him as you're walking along and I promise he'll keep his focus on you.

I say, "let's go" give him a kibble and keep on walking. In a few long steps I stop, ask him to "sit", give him a kibble [keep him seated for 2 minutes] and do another "let's go" again giving him a reward. I promise he'll keep his focus on you and won't be so distracted by all the sights and smells. Do this when you're just visiting and not so much focused on shopping. Do it a few times for practice.

He'll get it and will be looking for your direction and that treat and not so focused on the "stuff" going on around him.

Isn't it wonderful to have such a handsome working buddy to depend on in life?

You'll also notice that all that's missing is the paparazzi!!!!! Don't let all the stares and questions distract you.

You want paparazzi?? Take your service dog to Walt Disney World.

People will push Mickey out of the way to get a picture of a

"Dog in the Magic Kingdom"!! We have even been video taped.

Pushing Mickey of the way......it's almost sac religious.

Doesn't that just floor you!!!!! I don't get it! We've been on cruises where we've also been video taped and been stopped in our tracks so folks could take pictures of themselves with my Service Dog. Most of the time they do ask permission but sometimes we're just walking along and people will stop me, and others will start shooting away!

We have not done Disneyland or Disneyworld yet......Can't say I'm much looking forward to it.

Cindy, I wish I could say that about Horton. He still is easily "spooked" by outside noises and sometimes will lay at my feet and follow me around like a lost soul. Brenda knew [sensed] when and where to be in relationship to me after about a year.

Of course she didn't have another dog in our house when she first came home, she was "top dog" always. I'm told that it's also the "boy" dog thing that they're not as intuitive as girls. He's sure a love and much more cuddly than Brenny ever was.

I have got to share how it goes when Diana is in the hospital. (Gibson does not like knocking nor does he like our doorbell.) Because she is on a ventilator 24/7 the only place she can be cared for in the hospital is ICU. So twice now, once a year ago and the other just this past weekend, Gibson and I have stayed in the room with his mommy for several days. He is very easily startled, especially in the middle of the night from a deep sleep.

Last year Diana was getting breathing treatments every four hours around the clock. Which means that twice in the night a technician from respiratory therapy (RT) would come in to her room. When he isn't on the bed with his mommy Gibson likes to sleep so that he can see under the curtain and monitor the hallway for activity. One night a young man from RT, who did not know of Gibson's presence, literally popped into the room for the treatment. You can probably picture the response from our sleeping giant. He jumped up and gave his most scary "this is an intruder" bark. I have never seen someone exit a hospital room faster! The RT man jumped backwards out of the room faster than he had come in. All the nurses had a good laugh, and it was at least an hour before the young man returned for the treatment. The nurses posted a sign warning folks not to knock before entering, and that there was a service dog in the room

Again this weekend there was a don't knock sign posted on her door. One of the folks who check the equipment was coming in to verify the numbers on her machines. He didn't see the sign, and gave Gibson and himself quite a start resulting in the same "intruder alert" bark. Then the man went to get a nurse to make sure all was okay before he came back to the room.

Yesterday morning we were waiting for the doctor to come in for the discharge discussion. I guess doctors don't read signs either because he came in after knocking, also forgetful of Gibson's presence. (He had met Gibson Friday night when Diana was admitted.) Again the "intruder alert" from Gibson. However, because doctors are fearless all he did was give Gibson a grumpy look.

Our family has such a good laugh every time we think about or tell someone about Gibson's hospital stays.

Beckie

I have got to share how it goes when Diana is in the hospital. (Gibson does not like knocking nor does he like our doorbell.) Because she is on a ventilator 24/7 the only place she can be cared for in the hospital is ICU. So twice now, once a year ago and the other just this past weekend, Gibson and I have stayed in the room with his mommy for several days. He is very easily startled, especially in the middle of the night from a deep sleep.

Last year Diana was getting breathing treatments every four hours around the clock. Which means that twice in the night a technician from respiratory therapy (RT) would come in to her room. When he isn't on the bed with his mommy Gibson likes to sleep so that he can see under the curtain and monitor the hallway for activity. One night a young man from RT, who did not know of Gibson's presence, literally popped into the room for the treatment. You can probably picture the response from our sleeping giant. He jumped up and gave his most scary "this is an intruder" bark. I have never seen someone exit a hospital room faster! The RT man jumped backwards out of the room faster than he had come in. All the nurses had a good laugh, and it was at least an hour before the young man returned for the treatment. The nurses posted a sign warning folks not to knock before entering, and that there was a service dog in the room

Again this weekend there was a don't knock sign posted on her door. One of the folks who check the equipment was coming in to verify the numbers on her machines. He didn't see the sign, and gave Gibson and himself quite a start resulting in the same "intruder alert" bark. Then the man went to get a nurse to make sure all was okay before he came back to the room.

Yesterday morning we were waiting for the doctor to come in for the discharge discussion. I guess doctors don't read signs either because he came in after knocking, also forgetful of Gibson's presence. (He had met Gibson Friday night when Diana was admitted.) Again the "intruder alert" from Gibson. However, because doctors are fearless all he did was give Gibson a grumpy look.

Our family has such a good laugh every time we think about or tell someone about Gibson's hospital stays.

Beckie

Beckie, great stories. Gibson and Horton would make a fine team! Horty thinks he has to "bark" at anyone who has the nerve to walk by our front door.....no matter what the front door may be attached to; a home, a cruise ship, a hotel room - Well, you get the picture! I realize now that asking him to "stop" does no good......now, I ask him to "come here" and I have a treat by my chair for him [a piece of kibble from his meal], I now put a few on the table near my chair for just this reason. He gives one bark and comes to Mommy.

I just found out that Brenda's brother Baumann past away a few weeks after she did. And, that he was a breeder as was her sister Bonnie who passed away last year. I think Brenda and Baumann were the last two of their litter.

What wonderful and long lives her brother and sister lived.

They also had the habit of wiggling their whole butts instead of just their tails......so cute!

I just found out that Brenda's brother Baumann past away a few weeks after she did. And, that he was a breeder as was her sister Bonnie who passed away last year. I think Brenda and Baumann were the last two of their litter.

They also had the habit of wiggling their whole butts instead of just their tails......so cute!

I found it interesting to learn that Guide Dogs for the Blind gives all their pups the same letter name and never repeats a name. (Raylene was from an R litter, made a career change to Dogs for the Deaf.) Looks like CCI does the same, Roz?

I found it interesting to learn that Guide Dogs for the Blind gives all their pups the same letter name and never repeats a name. (Raylene was from an R litter, made a career change to Dogs for the Deaf.) Looks like CCI does the same, Roz?

Actually, Brenda's full name was Brenda III. CCI will repeat a name and put a number after it. So there were two other Brenda's at CCI before she came into my life.

Actually, Brenda's full name was Brenda III. CCI will repeat a name and put a number after it. So there were two other Brenda's at CCI before she came into my life.

CCI will "usually" only repeat a name with a number after it, Orson III, after the previous dog has retired. In our case there is an Orson IV working now also. Nobody can tell us why it happened.

Pushing Mickey of the way......it's almost sac religious.

Doesn't that just floor you!!!!! I don't get it! We've been on cruises where we've also been video taped and been stopped in our tracks so folks could take pictures of themselves with my Service Dog. Most of the time they do ask permission but sometimes we're just walking along and people will stop me, and others will start shooting away!

We have not done Disneyland or Disneyworld yet......Can't say I'm much looking forward to it.

We have had people taking Wexlers picture when he is in the potty box on the ship!!!! :eek:

Awwwww Baumann was Wexlers dad. How sad. :(

Awwwww Baumann was Wexlers dad. How sad. :(

It is sad isn't it. When these brilliant and wonderful dogs pass, it's just heart wrenching.

It's so nice that we're all connected through our dogs. Brenny's brother was Wexy's Dad. That makes Brenny Wexy's Aunt. He would have loved her, she was such a great girl and what a leader! She was ALWAYS trying to whip Horty into shape by just staring at him and refusing to get down to his level of play. Every once in a while there would be a "goofy" moment but she'd catch herself and go back up on her couch to just observe everyone! Her Majesty really deserved a throne!!!! ;)

My DD is doing a great job working with her puppy, Xena. Keep in mind the pup is only 16 weeks. They are now going out for 2 hour long walks every day to wear off the puppy energy. Good exercise for both of them! Of course, Xena gets home, drops, then 30 minutes later is ready for more - all rested up!

Anyway, she is struggling to trim the back nails. She has been able to get the front ones, but Xena will not let her work on the back ones. She tried while Xena slept, but all that puppy energy shows even in sleep. That puppy even gets up and walks in circles, shepherding something, while sleeping!

Any suggestions from all you experienced dog folks?

My DD is doing a great job working with her puppy, Xena. Keep in mind the pup is only 16 weeks. They are now going out for 2 hour long walks every day to wear off the puppy energy. Good exercise for both of them! Of course, Xena gets home, drops, then 30 minutes later is ready for more - all rested up!

Anyway, she is struggling to trim the back nails. She has been able to get the front ones, but Xena will not let her work on the back ones. She tried while Xena slept, but all that puppy energy shows even in sleep. That puppy even gets up and walks in circles, shepherding something, while sleeping!

Any suggestions from all you experienced dog folks?

Sit on the floor, make sure your back is against something [this works best for me], spread your legs, call Xena to you or just make sure that she's on leash and pull her towards you, gently. When you get her to the center of your legs, use the "down" command and then the "roll" command, roll her on her back, holding onto her front legs and bring her towards you, while still on her back. You'll be able to clip or drummel her nails, trim the hair near her paw pads, examine her eyes, ears, belly and give a really good rub down. Xena will grow to love this position and will forget about the unpleasant parts, like nail cutting. Touch each paw, gently, holding onto to each one and using gentle words and no "corrections", keep the nail trimming short and sweet. Maybe just hold on to the nails the first and second time and slowly work into the trimming part.

Make sure to take some time for massaging, while in this position and end the whole thing on a very positive note, like a fun belly rub!

Slowly but surely she'll get used to this being done and she'll just lay there enjoying it. Or, make an appointment with the groomer or vet to trim her nails.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Sit on the floor, make sure your back is against something [this works best for me], spread your legs, call Xena to you or just make sure that she's on leash and pull her towards you, gently. When you get her to the center of your legs, use the "down" command and then the "roll" command, roll her on her back, holding onto her front legs and bring her towards you, while still on her back. You'll be able to clip or drummel her nails, trim the hair near her paw pads, examine her eyes, ears, belly and give a really good rub down. Xena will grow to love this position and will forget about the unpleasant parts, like nail cutting. Touch each paw, gently, holding onto to each one and using gentle words and no "corrections", keep the nail trimming short and sweet. Maybe just hold on to the nails the first and second time and slowly work into the trimming part.

Make sure to take some time for massaging, while in this position and end the whole thing on a very positive note, like a fun belly rub!

Slowly but surely she'll get used to this being done and she'll just lay there enjoying it. Or, make an appointment with the groomer or vet to trim her nails.

That's the one BIG problem we are having with Davis. He refuses to cradle. When we try to put him on his back, his eyes roll back in his head and he gets as stiff as a board. The last time I tried, he peed on me. :mad: We put it in our puppy report last week and are still waiting for a call from one of the trainers for some help.

That's the one BIG problem we are having with Davis. He refuses to cradle. When we try to put him on his back, his eyes roll back in his head and he gets as stiff as a board. The last time I tried, he peed on me. :mad: We put it in our puppy report last week and are still waiting for a call from one of the trainers for some help.

Uh! Oh! You know Brenda wasn't crazy about this either. I had to coax her with kibble and even then she gave me the "stink-eye!"

There was a trainer at CCI Santa Rosa named Jo who could put Brenda in any position she wanted and Brenda didn't balk. But, she was the only one!!!!

Horton loves this position, and knows it means a belly rub......such a goofus!

Edited by wizard-of-roz