Saint John Resort Excursion on Mykonos- Beach access?

akozlosk

Does anyone know if we could walk back to the ship from the town? I read somewhere that the shuttle is a rip off given how close the port is to the town?

It's a bit more than mile from the very edge of Mykonos Town to Tourlas harbour, which actually is not far. The problem is that much of that distance is along a fairly narrow road (two lane) with no sidewalk - you have to walk in the road with the traffic. I think it would be unpleasant at best and nerve-wracking at worst, especially if you were walking with children. It could also be very hot. We have seen people doing the walk - mainly as we sped past them in the shuttle bus - and they did not appear to be enjoying the experience.

I think the cruise lines' policy of charging what they can for the shuttle bus for this short distance is outrageous, but unfortunately there's little that can be done. Mykonos is a very small island, and there aren't many taxis, so there is very little alternative to using the shuttle bus.

I am resurrecting this thread as our family is seriously considering a day at Saint John during our stop there in June. We have a full day on Mykonos.

Does anyone know if we could walk back to the ship from the town? I read somewhere that the shuttle is a rip off given how close the port is to the town?

And do you think we could 'tour/shop' in the town in the morning and then go to the resort?

We did the day at Saint John's Resort on our trip in September and loved it! When we wanted to go back we asked our driver to drop us off in town and he dropped us off right near the windmills. We then walked around, took pictures, shopped, etc. Afterwards we walked back to the ship as I, too, felt it was a complete rip-off to pay for the shuttle. We in our mid-40's and didn't have a problem. As others have stated, the road is narrow, but it's not like it's a freeway or anything so it was fine by me....the hubby was grumbling but I like to walk and think you see more on foot than you do in a bus.

Hope this helps! Have a great trip!

Thanks to everyone for the detailed and helpful responses. I am going to book the St. John package and will look forward to a relaxing day at a beautiful resort. Glad to know that we can be dropped off in town for a little wandering before going back to the ship (or maybe we'll go to the town first).

We are going to book St. John's resort and would like to be dropped of in town afterward but how likely is it that we will find a taxi if dropped off in town afterward? We have 5 kids and won't walk it because of the narrow road. I am wondering, should I not take a chance on not getting a taxi to get us back? Also, we need two taxis. We will be there in the evening. We dock from 2 - 9:00PM so we would need a taxi about 8PM.

I don't know if our ship will offer a shuttle. There is no info and they do not know when I call. It is NCL Spirit.

Edited by World Gallery

We are going to book St. John's resort and would like to be dropped of in town afterward but how likely is it that we will find a taxi if dropped off in town afterward? We have 5 kids and won't walk it because of the narrow road. I am wondering, should I not take a chance on not getting a taxi to get us back? Also, we need two taxis. We will be there in the evening. We dock from 2 - 9:00PM so we would need a taxi about 8PM.

I don't know if our ship will offer a shuttle. There is no info and they do not know when I call. It is NCL Spirit.

I've never caught a taxi in Mykonos town, but I've seen people waiting for them and they seemed to be few and far between, I'm afraid.

I'd be astonished if your ship wasn't running a shuttle bus - at a cost, of course. You'd probably have to buy tickets on board before you left the ship, and they may well only sell you a round-trip ticket....

Thanks to everyone for the detailed and helpful responses. I am going to book the St. John package and will look forward to a relaxing day at a beautiful resort. Glad to know that we can be dropped off in town for a little wandering before going back to the ship (or maybe we'll go to the town first).

just wondering, how are you planning to pay for the package? I just got my email with the reservation form attached and if I send it back via email attachment..do you think I should be concerned about it going to a non secure site?

I am thinking of doing it this way just because it is much easier than faxing it or even calling the resort...but for .07 cents a minute, I guess I could make an international call to Greece! LOL

anyway, if I decide to email it via attachment, I was planning on using a credit card that carries no foreign tranaction fees, has a very low credit limit and basically one that I never use for anything as it is just a backup card. Also, I would wait until about 8 weeks prior to the trip to send the payment.

What is everyone who is going to this resort planning on doing regarding payment?

p.s. I guess that since we may want to be dropped off in town, we will need to buy the ship's round trip shuttle tix also.

Thanks.

Edited by luvtheships

luvtheships, I faxed the information back...no problem. As for the shuttle, yes, we were on Princess and they did not offer a one-way shuttle so you're stuck buying the round-trip or hoping to catch a cab.

Suzan

luvships,

I have the form on my desk now and am wondering the same thing. Think I'll just fax it back in the next couple of weeks and hope for the best.

Would anyone suggest doing our walk around town first (in the morning) and then going on to the resort? Anyone know when the stores open?

I think we will just walk back from town.

luvships,

Would anyone suggest doing our walk around town first (in the morning) and then going on to the resort? Anyone know when the stores open?

We found it easier just having the resort pick us up at the ship and take us directly to the resort in the morning and then drop us off in town (near the windmills) in the afternoon. We had plenty of time to do our shopping and walk back to the ship then without feeling hurried.

By the way, they have some great food at the resort so you can get a nice meal there.

How did everyone get the information/reservation form from the resort? I emailed a request to info@saintjohn.gr but I haven't gotten a response. It's been about a week, and I have checked my spam folder. Does anyone have another email address that might work better. I wasn't able to find any info about day passes on their website.

Thanks

How did everyone get the information/reservation form from the resort? I emailed a request to info@saintjohn.gr but I haven't gotten a response. It's been about a week, and I have checked my spam folder. Does anyone have another email address that might work better. I wasn't able to find any info about day passes on their website.

Thanks

reservations@stjohn.gr is where I sent it.

also we are in port from noon to 7pm not in the morning..anyone have any comments or ideas about this resort for the afternoon?

luvships,

I have the form on my desk now and am wondering the same thing. Think I'll just fax it back in the next couple of weeks and hope for the best.

I think I too will just fax it back but I will use a card that I do not intend to use for the trip and just put this item on it..just in case.

also, does the UPS center offer fax services as DH recently retired so there is no more office to use and quite frankly we have no need, except for this one time, to actually ever fax anything anyway from home!LOL that like we even know how to use the fax capability of our printer but maybe the kids can figure it out.

also an FYI, a poster on the train tix to Venice thread just posted that after she bought tix on the trenitalia site she started getting bogus charges from Bulgaria on her card. Just an FYI. It may actually be smarter for all of us to go for the 7 cents a minute and actually call the resort!LOL

Edited by luvtheships

Here is a copy of the form. They had emailed it to me months ago when I inquired. I am going to fill it out soon and email back. I am just realizing that they want credit card information. I am not sure about emailing that.

What has everyone else done?

Reservation Form

Day pass for: __/__/2011

Name:…………………………………………………………………………………………………………

No. of adults:…………………..No. of children: …………...Ages:………………………………

Address:……………………………………………………………………………………………………..

Tel:……………………………………..… Email:…………………………………………………………

Please choose the box on the package of your choice:

PACKAGE 1: 140euro per person

Breakfast

Unlimited use of the sunbeds next to the swimming pool or to the beach, Jacuzzi, sauna,

gym and shower.

A total relaxing massage for 30minutes to our “Aphrodite” Spa Center*

3 course menu (excluding drinks) to our “Kalimera” restaurant next to the pool

*(all bookings should be made in advance - up to two massages in the same time)

PACKAGE 2: 30euro per person

Unlimited use of the sunbeds next to the swimming pool or to the beach, Jacuzzi, sauna,

gym and shower.

Both Packages include the transfers upon arrival/departure from/to port:

Boat:…………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Time of pick-up:………………………Time of Departure:………………………………………

Authorization: Credit card: AMEX / VISA / MASTER

Credit card holder:…………………………………………………………………………………………………..

Credit card No:………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

Exp. date:…………………………………………….CVV:………………………………………………………….

I hereby declare that you have my authorization to charge my credit card in case

of non show the scheduled day.

FULL NAME:…………………………………………………………………………………………………

SIGNATURE:……………………………………………………………Date:…………………………..

Please send back filled & signed at +30 22890 28751 or by email at info@saintjohn.gr

Payments: All credit cards accepted or bank transfers to

ALPHA BANK ACCOUNT: 6210 0232 0000 935

I.B.A.N. GR 2401406210 6210 0232 0000 935

Swift code: GRBAGRAAXXX, Beneficiary: AXINOPODI A.E.

SAINT JOHN HOTEL VILLAS & SPA - MYKONOS

AGHIOS IOANNIS BEACH, P.O. BOX 626, 84600, GREECE

TEL:+30 22890 28752, FAX:+30 22890 28751

reservations@saintjohn.gr, www.saintjohn.gr

World Gallery..see my above posts as I have the same issue. I think I will use a special credit card for just this transaction, that's it!

I may fax it or I may just email it back for simplicity. Either way, I am using a very low limit card that I have and only for this transaction.

I think I too will just fax it back but I will use a card that I do not intend to use for the trip and just put this item on it..just in case.

also, does the UPS center offer fax services as DH recently retired so there is no more office to use and quite frankly we have no need, except for this one time, to actually ever fax anything anyway from home!LOL that like we even know how to use the fax capability of our printer but maybe the kids can figure it out.

also an FYI, a poster on the train tix to Venice thread just posted that after she bought tix on the trenitalia site she started getting bogus charges from Bulgaria on her card. Just an FYI. It may actually be smarter for all of us to go for the 7 cents a minute and actually call the resort!LOL

I may reconsider my plan to fax my credit card back....

And I think Staples and Office Max and probably the UPS store have fax machines.

And I think Staples and Office Max and probably the UPS store have fax machines.

if you are reconsidering faxing the info, what are you planning to do?

My thinking is a fax goes from point A to point B and only those on the receiving end will have access to the card number...but with an email attachment, I would think that should the email be compromised, the number of people who could have access to the number is infinite.

I know I am overthinking this, but I would really be appreciative if someone who is planning on booking St John's and actually does book it, would give us a play by play. Thanks!

I was wondering about this also. Does it matter that it is an international phone number?

luvtheships - that is a good idea but I am not sure I have a card with that low of a limit.

Does anyone know if they charge your card right away or wait until you arrive to actually charge the card? Most place, like hotels, take the card number but do not run it through until you get there.

I was wondering about this also. Does it matter that it is an international phone number?

luvtheships - that is a good idea but I am not sure I have a card with that low of a limit.

Does anyone know if they charge your card right away or wait until you arrive to actually charge the card? Most place, like hotels, take the card number but do not run it through until you get there.

from what I am understanding here, they are charging the card when you arrive and that they just want the card in case you dont show up. Also, they said that if the ship is diverted they wouldn't charge you.

I really think a good alternative, short of sending them an incorrect number:D, is to actually use a card specifically for this transaction.and this transaction only.

Then when you arrive, just pay cash or have them charge that card...of course you would want to actually have that card with you.

good question about the international fax phone number...anybody have the answer to this? any problems faxing to international numbers from UPS or Fedex?

Edited by luvtheships

We visited September 2011 and our card was not charged until the day we got there....we did not have any problems with unauthorized charges.

how did you send back the reservation form? email attachment? fax? Or did you call them with your card number?

This is what I am grappling with trying to decide the best way. Thanks

my concern is not with a person stealing my card number, which can happen even by calling them, it is with sending is over an unsecure website.

I wonder why their room reservation websit is secure or why they don't just put this reservation form on that.

how did you send back the reservation form? email attachment? fax? Or did you call them with your card number?

This is what I am grappling with trying to decide the best way. Thanks

my concern is not with a person stealing my card number, which can happen even by calling them, it is with sending is over an unsecure website.

I wonder why their room reservation websit is secure or why they don't just put this reservation form on that.

We scanned the reservation form and sent it back in an email.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Have just booked this and they said it was okay to give a debit card number to secure the booking. I emailed the completed form back and they responded with pick up information. They will only charge the card in the event of a no show. We will pay cash on the day. I will charge up the, as yet, empty debit card before we leave in case of unforseen circumstances.

Have to say they have responded within minutes to each of my emails and obviously have a system in place to find out whether a ship is docking or tendering. If docking the meetup is right outside the ship and if tendering we are instructed to walk 200m in the direction of the cruise dock to the yacht club as no vehicles allowed in the centre of the town.

If this works out, it will be much less expensive than the ship beach transfer.

• 2 weeks later...
I just booked the 30 Euro package with St. John. They pick you up at your ship and you have your own beach chair and use of their gym, sauna and pools. It looks beautiful!! My question is about beach access- do they have a private beach? They responded to my request for a shore excursion form immediately and were just as quick confirming my purchase. For anyone interested, their web address is: http://www.saint john.gr and email is info@saint john.gr

We will be in Mykonos on August 26th on the Ruby Princess. Please, anyone who has done this excursion write a few lines about your experience! Thanks!

how was the resort?

we will be there this September and wonder if they still have the package

thanks

• 2 weeks later...
how was the resort?

we will be there this September and wonder if they still have the package

thanks

Hi - we are just back from the Crown Princess. Booked this package on the phone with Katerina at the hotel. Gave my info on the phone and there was no problem. If the ship cant get in - no charges. We loved our day at this resort and highly recommend it. Picked up at 9 am , about 20 minute journey when you see quite a bit of the island, and dropped off at reception at which was quite clearly a 5* hotel. Checked in, they gave us a drink, a token for the huge beach towels and we were given a ride down to the pool area. You have a locker in the Spa where you can change. We had the choice of their lovely loungers , the situation is beautiful. The food was excellent and the salads huge and reasonable (suggest 1 between 2). There are several places to eat around the pool area, really nice. The beach is lovely - you will remember your day here - go for it !!

Have a great time:)