Rethinking auto tips

I have always paid tips . Years ago in the envelopes & now auto tips but with cruises having more & more extra cost restaurants that you also should tip for for should tipping be revised ?

What cruise line were you on where an extra tip in a specialty restaurant was expected? Yes I know they all have the line on the chit for you to write one in, but every ship I have been on makes it clear that the fee for the restaurant includes gratuity/service charge and that anything above is completely optional.

(...and could you kindly expand further on what correlation you find between the auto-tipping scheme and the choice of an individual passenger to use extra-charge dining?)

Edited by fishywood

Popcorn time!!!:D:D;)

Not really ! More & more cruise lines are having lots of extra cost restaurants so many passengers never visit the main dining room so isn't it time to look at this and change the tipping structure .I have always tipped but am at a loss what to do.It is easy if you only visit one but what about the mega ships that have lots of restaurants and some passengers only use them ? Do you tip twice ?

Not really ! More & more cruise lines are having lots of extra cost restaurants so many passengers never visit the main dining room so isn't it time to look at this and change the tipping structure .I have always tipped but am at a loss what to do.It is easy if you only visit one but what about the mega ships that have lots of restaurants and some passengers only use them ? Do you tip twice ?

I'll just point out that the gratuities for dinner servers generally doesn't just cover dinner. Most of those people (the servers) also work breakfast and lunch shifts in the MDRs and buffets. As well as any quick serve locations onboard, and on some cruiselines they also do room service runner shifts.

Saying that it's for your dinner servers just makes it easier.

..More & more cruise lines are having lots of extra cost restaurants so many passengers never visit the main dining room so isn't it time to look at this and change the tipping structure...

Yes but you still eat breakfast, lunch, and possibly snacks somewhere, right? The staff in the MDR also work in the buffet. The auto tip/daily service charge, left in place, assures that no one is being "stiffed", if you will. The auto tip also covers housekeeping staff.

If you leave it in place, everyone gets what they are supposed to get, with the option for the guest to tip more in cash if so desired.

To answer your question - no, I don't feel the auto tip should be revised. I'm glad so many of the lines are now doing this.

Focusing only on dinner, on RCI at least, part of the surcharge for the specialty restaurants includes a gratuity for that wait staff. Those passengers electing to eat in those venues are covering that gratuity. Since they are also paying the standard gratuity, they in essence are paying twice - but voluntarily with the choice to pay the surcharge.

Even with an increasing number of specialty restaurants it is still the minority of passengers who eat there. Realize that the typical specialty restaurant only holds about 100 people, give or take, or perhaps double that in nightly servings. Even if a ship has three or four venues (which most ships do not) and are full each night (which in general in our experience they are not) that would result in only about 600 - 800 passengers that could be served.

Using Oasis as an example, the typical passenger load is in excess of 6,000 passengers. So the the vast majority (about 90% based on those assumptions) still dine in the MDR and never see another venue.

I'm sure the cruise lines are quite aware of the passenger balance with the MDR and alternative venues and the resulting distribution of gratuities. They certainly understand their business and have looked at the gratuity system and have in place what they believe works best.

As to your comment of being at a loss of what to do, simply pay the recommended gratuities by whatever method the cruise line suggests and don't worry about it. If you wish to add more, then do so. And if you choose to pay a surcharge for a specialty restaurant, you will be covering that staff gratuity as well.

The fact that they provide a recommended amount and payment method means that is the system they want you to follow - you don't have to "rethink it". Your concern should be with enjoying your cruise.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Perhaps it would help if, before you put yourself up as an easy target by starting a thread demanding change, you understood how the auto-tip scheme actually works:

All food service personnel are included in the auto tips:

The main dining room staff: waiters, assistant waiters, head waiters

The buffet staff: line servers, table cleaners, supervisors

The room service delivery crew

The staff in the specialty restaurants

Many dining and galley support staff you never see.

Virtually all of the dining staff rotate among the various dining facilities throughout the cruise.

So if one or more of these facilities are never visited by you...it just doesn't matter!

Your payment of the auto tip covers your share of dining service wherever you choose to take it.

The fee you pay for the specialty restaurant gets you (1) a reservation at the time you want, for the table size you want; (2) an upgraded menu from the dining room.

Yes it is reasonable to expect better service in the pay restaurants. But an extra tip is not required as it is has already been covered. You are always free to reward any individual who gives service "above and beyond" to you...but it is totally optional!

I have always paid tips . Years ago in the envelopes & now auto tips but with cruises having more & more extra cost restaurants that you also should tip for for should tipping be revised ?

I have always paid tips on land, so why would I think the cruise line auto tipping should be revised. To me auto tipping just makes it easier. :rolleyes:

Perhaps it would help if, before you put yourself up as an easy target by starting a thread demanding change, you understood how the auto-tip scheme actually works:

All food service personnel are included in the auto tips:

The main dining room staff: waiters, assistant waiters, head waiters

The buffet staff: line servers, table cleaners, supervisors

The room service delivery crew

The staff in the specialty restaurants

Many dining and galley support staff you never see.

Virtually all of the dining staff rotate among the various dining facilities throughout the cruise.

So if one or more of these facilities are never visited by you...it just doesn't matter!

Your payment of the auto tip covers your share of dining service wherever you choose to take it.

The fee you pay for the specialty restaurant gets you (1) a reservation at the time you want, for the table size you want; (2) an upgraded menu from the dining room.

Yes it is reasonable to expect better service in the pay restaurants. But an extra tip is not required as it is has already been covered. You are always free to reward any individual who gives service "above and beyond" to you...but it is totally optional!

Room Service Delivery crew are not part of the Auto Tips on Carnival, HAL or Princess.

Room Service Delivery crew are not part of the Auto Tips on Carnival, HAL or Princess.

It's not included on Disney cruises either.

There recently was a big debate going on on the HAL board right now that seems to say that room service is part of the Hotel Service Charge applied to each person's account.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2034371

Edited by Shmoo here

There recently was a big debate going on on the HAL board right now that seems to say that room service is part of the Hotel Service Charge applied to each person's account.

With RCI, the standard gratuity also does not include any discretionary room service tip or any of the services provided by either Concierge in the Concierge Lounge or Diamond Club or the associated bartenders with each.

Room service is likely not included as that is a not a service used by many and clearly the Concierge and bartenders gratuities as mentioned are for services only provided to Suite guests and upper tier Crown & Anchor loyalty members. Those guests also represent a relatively small segment of the passengers on any given ship and those additional gratuities are typically understood and expected as separate by those guests.

To the question presented by the OP regarding current gratuities as relates to specialty restaurants, these other gratuities wouldn't apply to that. That topic has also been addressed elsewhere in the thread.

IMO, as all of these other gratuities referenced are separate and additional, there is no need to rethink the gratuity program with reference to them either as they are paid separately as the service is rendered to those passengers benefiting from them.

Maybe the cruise lines should clarify that the auto tips include all dining options including the extra charge ones . A lot of ships are going to more and more extra charge options and fewer people are using the main dining room . I have recently read reviews about The Epic on that ship quite a few people e use the other restaurants and were confused on the tip status .Of course if service was great I would also tip extra.

As I understand it, if you eat your dinners at specialty restaurants you pay into their tipping pool as the 15% gratuity is built in to the price you pay just like with drinks at the bars. So if that's the case, you are also paying into the daily tipping pool for the MDR too with your auto tips. But how much are you really tipping extra, $2?, $3? per meal in the specialty restaurant? It's not a lot, but hey it does add up if you eat in a specialty restaurant every night. :eek:

Should the industry revise its tipping in light of this, sure. Will they? Don't bet in it! Most of the industry still refers to the daily charges as tips or gratuities with the illusion that they somehow "pay for good service" when they are really a 'pay for service" fee or an employee wage top-up fee.

Should the industry revise its tipping in light of this, sure. Will they? Don't bet in it! Most of the industry still refers to the daily charges as tips or gratuities with the illusion that they somehow "pay for good service" when they are really a 'pay for service" fee or an employee wage top-up fee.

Some of us, and I would bet we are in the majority, have no problems with the tipping policies now in place. They are easy to understand, make life easier for the passengers, and aren't that much additional expenditure. I'm comfortable with them keeping it just as it is. I always marvel at how much some people get so focused on a rather trivial annoyance. It's as if this is the most important part of the cruise to them. :rolleyes:

Some of us, and I would bet we are in the majority, have no problems with the tipping policies now in place. They are easy to understand, make life easier for the passengers, and aren't that much additional expenditure. I'm comfortable with them keeping it just as it is. I always marvel at how much some people get so focused on a rather trivial annoyance. It's as if this is the most important part of the cruise to them. :rolleyes:

Hi boogs,

I'm not sure I would describe sailor_sally as being "so focused" in the issue by starting one thread about it. Now, if she starts 10 threads - then that's a whole new ballgame.;)

Maybe the cruise lines should clarify that the auto tips include all dining options including the extra charge ones . A lot of ships are going to more and more extra charge options and fewer people are using the main dining room . I have recently read reviews about The Epic on that ship quite a few people e use the other restaurants and were confused on the tip status .Of course if service was great I would also tip extra.

As referenced before regarding RCI at least, the surcharge at each restaurant includes a portion that is gratuity for that staff. RCI is also clear as to what the gratuity amounts are and who receives them from the standard daily amount.

Maybe that just isn't the case with all cruise lines which may be more to your point. And it would be a fair point to ask for clarification on board - in particular with the specialty restaurants. Guest services or the restaurant manager will certainly clarify that.

Unless you are eating ALL your meals in the specialty dining rooms then I can see a problem

Do you get breakfast, lunch & maybe afternoon tea served in the specialties on the ship??

If not then & you eat dinner only in the special dining venues then ask for the auto tip to be reduced for dinners you are not eating in the regular venues ...

With RCI, the standard gratuity also does not include any discretionary room service tip or any of the services provided by either Concierge in the Concierge Lounge or Diamond Club or the associated bartenders with each.

Room service is likely not included as that is a not a service used by many and clearly the Concierge and bartenders gratuities as mentioned are for services only provided to Suite guests and upper tier Crown & Anchor loyalty members. Those guests also represent a relatively small segment of the passengers on any given ship and those additional gratuities are typically understood and expected as separate by those guests.

To the question presented by the OP regarding current gratuities as relates to specialty restaurants, these other gratuities wouldn't apply to that. That topic has also been addressed elsewhere in the thread.

IMO, as all of these other gratuities referenced are separate and additional, there is no need to rethink the gratuity program with reference to them either as they are paid separately as the service is rendered to those passengers benefiting from them.

The 1st para confidently says room service is not included.

The 2nd para says is likely not included.

But when I check the RCI website or lists room service under the "Whats Included" section, except at late night.

http://www.royalcaribbean.co.uk/why-cruise/whats-included/

The Berlitz 2014 cruise guide claims it is included.

Anyone have an RCI link to backup the view that room service is not included?

It is not like cruise lines are ever slow to indicate where a tip is expected.

The 1st para confidently says room service is not included.

The 2nd para says is likely not included.

But when I check the RCI website or lists room service under the "Whats Included" section, except at late night.

http://www.royalcaribbean.co.uk/why-cruise/whats-included/

The Berlitz 2014 cruise guide claims it is included.

Anyone have an RCI link to backup the view that room service is not included?

It is not like cruise lines are ever slow to indicate where a tip is expected.

Keep in mind that the theme of this thread is regarding gratuities. I think you are taking my comments in the wrong context. I am referring to our experience in the US regarding gratuities.

Please re-read my post, in particular starting with the first sentence. This clearly defines this and refers to room service gratuities and is what the rest of my comments are based upon. Let me further clarify:

Para 1: Room service is definitely included in the stateroom rate. I was indicating that any separate gratuity for that service is not. And is not included in the daily standard gratuity.

Para 2: I was using the term "likely" with my thoughts as a conditional statement as to the reason why the gratuity it is not included. Again referring to the gratuity, not room service itself.

The information you present is from the UK web site and refers I believe to what is included in the base stateroom rates and is not referring to gratuities.

And in our experience RCI is very clear on their gratuity program and what is included and for whom with that program.

What cruise line were you on where an extra tip in a specialty restaurant was expected? Yes I know they all have the line on the chit for you to write one in, but every ship I have been on makes it clear that the fee for the restaurant includes gratuity/service charge and that anything above is completely optional.

(...and could you kindly expand further on what correlation you find between the auto-tipping scheme and the choice of an individual passenger to use extra-charge dining?)

Tips are not included in the extra charge for specialty restaurants on HAL ships. There is no Tip Line on the tab to add a tip. Most people choose to tip in Pinnacle, Tamarind etc and they bring cash with which to tip.

My memory of that thread is no one produced anything that verified Room Service stewards share in the hotel service charge automatically charged. We always tip when they bring our room service order.

The suggested tips on RCI cover: Your cabin attendant, waiter, ass't waiter and head waiter. That info can be found in the cruise brochure and/or the docs. Room service delivery is kitchen staff...they are not covered by the suggested grats.

We have were told a long time ago that none of the fees charged for the specialty restaurants on HAL ships include a gratuity. So we so leave a tip.

Also -- HAL doesn't have an extra line on the specialty restaurant bills or the bar bills where you can write in an extra tip. HAL bar bills already add on a 15% for all drinks, specialty coffees, bottles of water, sodas, bottles of wine, etc.