Best Piano Player in Crooners on Princess?

buggystuff

Eric Stone was our favorite. He was on our Sun Princess cruise several years ago. Some people love Bert Stratton and Mauricio, but neither of them floated our boat.

We had Mauricio on our far east cruise and he packed them in - but not as much as Sammy Goldstein on the Star in Jan 2009. We have just returned from the Goldens Hawaii roundtrip and the piano bar was probably the quietest - the player was not too hot - Katy someone - only listened once and did not enjoy it at all.

On all our previous cruises the piano bar (crooners or promenade) was always packed with people even standing on the 'landing' and around the lifts just to listen

I totally enjoyed Bert Stratton, but of course, he didn't perform in the piano bar. Most of the piano bar performers seem to be cut from the same mold to me. They're all O.K., but not so good that I can't wait to join them every evening.

"SKY"

Maurizio is our favorite. Crooners (Prom) bar is our favorite. So we listen to them all, and mostly enjoy. But Maurizio is the only one we like well enough to remember his name.

Edited by Phyljim

Ray Coussins gets my vote. He was Frank Sinatra's piano player back in the day..

On our last voyage on the Sea Princess in July, the piano player in Crooners was hilarious. He was an okay singer and his repertoire was large, but it was his banter with the crowd and especially the folks that walked past him oblivious that a show was on... and what he'd say to them. Very funny. I was searching for my Patters but couldn't find them... I think his name was Martin something and he was British.

On our last voyage on the Sea Princess in July, the piano player in Crooners was hilarious. He was an okay singer and his repertoire was large, but it was his banter with the crowd and especially the folks that walked past him oblivious that a show was on... and what he'd say to them. Very funny. I was searching for my Patters but couldn't find them... I think his name was Martin something and he was British.

I think you are referring to Larry Dunsmore. He was amazing. So funny! He was really a highlight for us on our Sea Princess cruise last summer.

I think you are referring to Larry Dunsmore. He was amazing. So funny! He was really a highlight for us on our Sea Princess cruise last summer.

Thanks for clarifying that... for some reason the name Martin stuck in my brain.

Martin Kaye was the performer in Crooners for our Caribbean Princess cruise Nov. 14-21. He was fabulous, but unfortunately, has gone to find his fortune elsewhere. (In the recording industry, probably) He is British, and just became engaged, which may have been the reason to get off the ship.

Our favorite was Brett Cave "Piano Man". I do not believe he is on Princess anymore. He was great. We were lucky to hear him on two cruises a few years back. Anyone know where he is now?

Barrington "Barty" Brown was on the Emerald Princess in Crooners on our Oct. 19-29 cruise. He played to an older audience and played showtunes and recounted the backgrounds of many of the composers and songwriters. There was music trivia session a couple of nights and he led the sing-a-long in the Piazza one night. I enjoyed him and he had a loyal following of those of us who enjoyed his showmanship-having started in the British theater. I saw him on our first cruise on the Sun Princess in 1998 and lost track of him until this recent one. I was very happy for the reunion. He also bantered with folks going by and would throw out "another piece of useless information" (his words) after giving us a tidbit of background on a Broadway show or singer.

There was a singer/pianist on the Emerald in Dec. 2007 whose first name was David. He was good, too. I think he went on to the Diamond Princess after that run.

Lynne

I loved him on the Coral -- Larry Dunsmore. The Basil Fawlty of lounge singers. Really talented pianist, and to me, a better-than-okay singer (heard worse, god knows!). Agree about the hysterically funny banter (but as we all know, I love me some snark), and a very nice guy "off-stage," too.

Our favorite was Brett Cave "Piano Man". I do not believe he is on Princess anymore. He was great. We were lucky to hear him on two cruises a few years back. Anyone know where he is now?

Brett Cave was fantastic - we had him on a mediterranean cruise a few years back. Crooners was overflowing most nights. Great variety, some classics, some new (even some Coldplay). Very talented guy.

I did hear Bert Stratton on the Ruby last week. Caught "Sweet Caroline" 3x just walking through the piazza, and the one night we decided to stay a few minutes he played a montage of John Denver songs. Ugh... we're not all 60+. He's much more of a showman than a vocal talent.

Just came off our 13th and 14th Princess cruises, we have never seen as good an entertainer in the piano bar as Tom Franek. He is a young and upcoming talent who also does a show in one of the main lounges during each cruise. Check him out on YouTube. He is an exceptionally talented guy who tailors his presentation to the audience as well. He expands his show to the entire atrium with his high energy.

Daniel Mills was the best for us. Invited, encouraged, and received a lot of audience participation and singing with good repertoire, some humor, and great showmanship.

Haven't seen anyone half as good since. Yes there are some good pianists and solo singers but none who had overflow crowds every night.