Bay of Biscay

thebuss

I am cruising with Fred Olsen on the 23rd July 08. We are traveling as a family on the Balmoral, although i have been on the Black Prince and a Russian liner [euck] in the middle eighties iv'e had two bad crossings over the Bay of Biscay during our own summer, could anyone recommend a good weather forecast website which is easily read for this area.

P.S.

Sickness is no problem, it's the loss of balance which plays havoc with the mind, any cures.

• 5 years later...

Hi Thebuss

I also suffer with motion sickness, to the extent that even the movement of a wonky table can trigger it! Mad, some people may say, to take a cruise. I feel that once over it then the pleasure of the cruise far outweighs the suffering! The balance and disorientation is horrid and in many ways worse than the nausea. Last year I consulted a Chinese herbalist. She prescribed hundreds of tiny tablets which I took twice a day until we hit calm seas. They certainly helped & if you are near to London I would be happy to give you her details. The advantage of these was that they didn't send me to sleep which normal motion sickness tablets do.

Although a marine weather forecasts can give you a rough idea of the sea state, it is not an exact science. I have sailed the Bay of Biscay many times at different times of the year. Sometimes it is rough, but on many occasions it has been completely calm. For what it's worth, we sailed the English Channel in the Balmoral last Easter in a Force 11, which lasted from mid morning until almost 10.00pm and she was really quite stable. The Balmoral is an older ship which seems to be able to manage rough seas very well indeed. We have been in calmer seas on much bigger ships and have felt the motion much more. On the Balmoral, they were still able to serve afternoon tea and the formal night went ahead as planned! Don't worry!

Six year old thread, no point replying. Don't know what jaket's revived it for.

[Edit - having seen he or she has revived several other threads, it's clear there's an idiot at the keyboard. Looking at the time of posting, my guess is he arrived home drunk and incapable of using what little wits he has. Allegedly.]

Edited by dsrdsrdsr

• 2 weeks later...
Six year old thread, no point replying. Don't know what jaket's revived it for.

[Edit - having seen he or she has revived several other threads, it's clear there's an idiot at the keyboard. Looking at the time of posting, my guess is he arrived home drunk and incapable of using what little wits he has. Allegedly.]

I didn't notice the date either!