Zumba

CRUISNDIVA

I too am a Zumba instructor and I'll be teaching on my upcoming NCL Epic sailing in October. I'm NOT doing it through the ship though, I've gotten together people from my Roll Call who are interested, and I'm volunteering to teach. NCL did give me a fitness room to do it in though which is great. I'm doing it just for the love of Zumba and the need to work out at sea! It would be great if the ships would let us come on and teach for the week of our sailing (and letting us get a free ride) but that's not very common at the moment. Oh well.

Zumba love!

• 1 month later...
My wife and I are going to COZ on the Carnival Imagination 10/25 and if any people are up to getting together we can Zumba till we can't Zumba anymore!

Hey Zumbaguy! Have you spoken to your cruise critic roll call about getting a class running on your cruise? I got at least 25 people signed up for my cruise next week, very excited. Good luck with yours!

Now I see that as I write this you are already on your cruise, hope it's great!

Edited by trtllovr

• 2 months later...

I would love to take a cruise that offers Zumba classes. Do you have any advice for me, I am a first time cruiser, taking my husband and two daughters to Alaska in August. They are 4 and 2 years old. We need a holiday and would love them to be entertained all day. Any tips?

Thanks

From what I heard some cruise lines do offer classes because their employees are licensed to teach it, so you should check with your ship to see if they offer them. Other than that if you take classes regularly you can try to see about setting up a group sailing with your instructor and other classmates... it's a stretch, but what a joy that would be. Good luck! Have fun!

LOVE Zumba!!! I try to go to the gym while we cruise, but I'm not always as successful as I should be. The classes offered on CCL are somewhat outdated, in my opinion. The ones I have attended were not very crowded. I think they are missing out on an opportunity to make some good money for a class or two of Zumba. At my gym, Zumba will have any where from 30-50 women in attendance. The other classes may have 10.

I think alot of women would consider this a fun addition to a Caribbean vacation! I would definitely buy a package of classes for Zumba!

• 2 months later...

I love Zumba and go three times a week. the classes I attend are packed average around 60 and sometimes up to 100 bodies a session! I agree, cruise lines are missing out on some serious money.... I would pay for a couple classes, no doubt

• 4 weeks later...

Hiya - I am a Zumba instructor/enthusiast and I love the idea of teaching Zumba on cruise ships! Can anyone suggest some contacts for me - I am ready to apply! I teach Zumba, Zumba Gold, Yoga and plan to do Zumba Toning soon! I am ready to go and would love to be there for all the Zumba travelers!!!

Thank You all!

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

DH and I were on Caribbean Princess Sept 2011, RT New York, Canada/New England. Two FREE zumba "classes" were given. Led each time by one of the assistant cruise directors. It was held in the aft show lounge and was really crowded. Glad we got there early so we were on the wooden dance floor vs. carpet! It was very hot as the ceiling is low and the spot lights were on so dress accordingly (we walked the mile around the promenade afterward just to cool off--at sea and it certainly was cool!).

It was a good introduction class, both times, as he showed the moves several times and took breaks between songs. They provided large coolers of water but we brought bottles of water and were glad we did. It was too difficult to leave the floor to grab a quick sip from the cooler. We also brought a towel from the cabin, which was handy too.

I would have paid to have had small classes offered daily!!

I just got home from my Friday night Zumba class and I see this thread.

Anybody planning to bust some Zumba moves in the ship nightclub?

Planning to request some Zumba songs?

A new instructor in my neighborhood does the electric slide for warm-up and the wobble and cupid shuffle for cool down. So taught me what I need to know for the deck parties!

• 3 weeks later...

I am not going till next year but I would LOVE to be able to Zumba at sea!! I only go 6 times a week :eek:

Will some awesome zumba instructor please book the same cruise?? LOL (My fave instructor went last month and just announced is pg so she can't come *sniff* )

• 4 months later...

60 year old guy here, pretty fit from running, swimming, weight training, and yoga. gave up step due to achilles problems. finding suitable zumba class can be difficult for a guy like me. mostly women and to be honest my hips just dont wanna move the way their supposed to. my best zumba has been after a yoga class when everyone had a glass of sangria and just zumba'ed to the beat. i will try it on my next cruise though if there is room in the class. or not. maybe latin night in the dance club will work better for me. just my $.02.

• 5 months later...

I'm planning to teach on an upcoming cruise in January on rccl's independence of the seas leaving 1/27. So far I have 4-5 AM classes planned (7:30 am is the only time they can give me). I'm teaching them for free and just for fun! JOIN ME!

• 2 weeks later...

Just off the Crown Princess sailing from Galveston. They had Zumba 3 times with the first at 1115 the 1st sea day.

If you are on this same cruise later this season, make sure your Roll Call's Meet & Mingle isn't scheduled at 1100!! Our's was and I couldn't go to Zumba since I had volunteered to manage name tags. Other's in our RC just missed the M&M as Zumba was more important to them.

• 2 weeks later...

My family went on the Norwegian Star January 2013 and we were asked to do one of their more in depth reviews of the cruise afterwards. I tried to drive home the lack of Zumba being a huge money loss for them as it seemed that the classes that they did offer were not well attended.

• 1 month later...

As I've mentioned in my previous talk about Zumba. I asked Celebrity for Zumba after my Nov 2011 transatlantic and I'm so thrilled that they will have it, that I'm booked on the Infinity from Chile to FLL (Mar.2013) and again Connie (May 5th to June 1...B2B) Can't wait to Zumba on the oceans! :)

• 5 weeks later...

Yeah Zumba! I'm a guy and can't even begin to do all the moves but it's about having fun. Crank up the tunes and shake a leg (or whatever will shake).

The instructor makes all the difference whether it's all Latin or a mix of dance / hip-hip / martial arts.

Is Carnival listening?? How hard would it be to find an instructor on each and every cruise willing to give a class or two. All the instructors I have ever had a class with are high-energy people-people and just love to share the excitement of this "exercise"

• 4 months later...

I love love love zumba.. the only exercise class I can't wait to go to, but whomever said it all depends on the teacher is right. I have a great teacher - but she is quite far away. I tried to go to a class closer to me and my instructor was terrible - kept forgetting the steps - had to run into a closet to change the music after each song because she did not have an ipod...

As for the exercise part - with all of the "latin dance" moves, if you do them correctly it really enhances your midsection. At 51 I have to laugh when I tell people zumba is responsible for my "2 pack"!:D