Warm Chocolate Melting Cake

dmfriedman

I visited the Formalties shop aboard Carnival Legend hoping the cookbook they sold had the Warm Chocolate Melting cake...it didn't, but the girl that worked in the shop knew I was looking for sometime specific and when I told her I wanted the recipe she handed me a photocopy that contained this recipe:

Melting Chocolate Cake

12.5 oz Dark Chocolate

12.5 oz butter

10 eggs (room temperature!!!)

10oz granulated sugar

6oz flour (the copy says H&R flour. I am not sure what this means)

Method:

Melt the chocolate and butter

Mix the eggs and sugar and whisk for a few minutes, add the flour

Add the egg mix to the melted chocolate and mix

Pour the mix in a greased mold

Bake in a preheated 200 degee celcius oven (which is 392 fahrenheit) for 14 minutes.

Dust with powered sugar and serve with vanilla ice cream

Enjoy :D

OH NO!!!! I have just gained ten pounds reading these posts!:eek: And that is a BIG problem! I leave for my cruise on Saturday and now I won't fit into my new dress! I will however be eating that warm melting cake in just a few days.......:)

I've got 12 days to lose 2 1/2 lbs, then I go on these FOODIE message boards--I'm never going to make it!

I'm using my husband's username, etc. but I couldn't remember mine! My cousin just emailed me this yesterday - I don't know where she got it from - we are going next Wednesday on the Destiny and cannot wait to get this dessert!

MELTINGCHOCOLATE CAKE SERVED WITH VANILLA ICE CREAM

Portions 10

11oz semi sweet chocolate

11 oz butter

7 eggs

3 oz sugar

4 oz flour

- Melt chocolate and butter

- Mix half egg and sugar and whisk for few minutes and add flour. Then add the balance egg.

- Add eggs mixture to the melted chocolate mixture.

- Pour the mixture in the ramekin cups

- Bake directly in the oven at 392 degrees F for 15mn to 20mn

- Serve with vanilla ice cream in 2 oz ramekin cups.

Garnish :

- Sweet chocolate

- Chocolate sauce

- Powder sugar.

okay has anyone tried any of these reciepes???? which is the closest to the real thing.

I'm going to try to bake the last two (posted right above this) and see which one is closest. If neither are, I'll go further back. We have 25 people coming to Thanksgiving at our house this year, so I'd love to make this for dessert.

I'll let you know which (if any) is closest to the real thing after I play around a little bit bit with them (:

• 1 month later...

OK...from the Behind the Fun Tour...on the back page of the Fun Facts pamphlet they give you in your backpack:

Yield: 4 Servings

6 oz Dark Chocolate

6 oz Butter

4 ea Eggs

6 oz Sugar

2oz Flour

Method:

Melt the chocolate & butter

Mix the eggs & sugar and whisk for a fwe minutes, add the flour

Add the egg mix to the melted chocolate & mix

Pour the mix into a greased mold

bake directly in the oven at 390 for 14 minutes

Note: Make sure that the eggs are at room temperature and choclate is warm enough while making the mixture.

Those that have eatten this know what size "mold" to use.

• 4 months later...
DD scoured the Internet for a Warm Chocolate Melting Cake recipe last year and I think she eventually found it here on CC. I have made this countless times and it tastes exactly like Carnival's recipe. You can make up a batch and just bake what you need as you want it, it lasts for days in the fridge (if you don't eat it all the first day!). The baking time can be adjusted depending on how much cake:liquid ratio you like.

I promise this is worth the effort!

1 1/3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (8 ounces)

1 stick salted butter (8 ounces)

1 stick unsalted butter (8 ounces)

5 eggs (room temperature)

5/8 cup sugar

2/3 cup flour

powdered sugar to taste

Melt chocolate and butter over low heat. In a bowl, mix together eggs and sugar and then add flour. Slowly wisk this into the chocolate mixture. Pour into greased (Pam) 4 ounce ramekins. Bake at 400 degrees for 11 minutes (my oven runs hot so adjust the time -especially if you like it cakier).

Dust with powdered sugar.

This is a very forgiving recipe. I have made it with whole wheat flour (trying to make it healthier LOL!) and with only four eggs (ran out). I also don't bother buying unsalted butter since I don't use it for anything else and we can't tell the difference anyways.

Enjoy!

Thanks so much for the recipe! I've got to try it:)

• 6 months later...

8 ounces semisweet chocolate

1 cup (2 sticks) butter

7 eggs, divided use

6 tablespoons sugar

1/2 cup flour

Vanilla ice cream, for serving

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Melt chocolate and butter; cool 10 minutes.

In separate bowl, mix 4 eggs with sugar. Whisk. Add flour and whisk. Add remaining 3 eggs. Add egg mixture to chocolate mixture. Pour in individual baking cups or ramekins.

Bake until just done, about 15-20 minutes (interior will be melting, not set).

Serve with vanilla ice cream.

OK...from the Behind the Fun Tour...on the back page of the Fun Facts pamphlet they give you in your backpack:

Yield: 4 Servings

6 oz Dark Chocolate

6 oz Butter

4 ea Eggs

6 oz Sugar

2oz Flour

Method:

Melt the chocolate & butter

Mix the eggs & sugar and whisk for a fwe minutes, add the flour

Add the egg mix to the melted chocolate & mix

Pour the mix into a greased mold

bake directly in the oven at 390 for 14 minutes

Note: Make sure that the eggs are at room temperature and choclate is warm enough while making the mixture.

Those that have eatten this know what size "mold" to use.

This recipe is the real deal...It is the one given in this video of John Heald watching/helping make 4 servings... here's a link to the "how to" video: :D

http://johnhealdsblog.com/2010/10/27/the-making-of-a-legend/

• 9 months later...
Okay, finally got around to do doing some math. My conversion (check the math......have NOT baked it yet) yields the following recipe:

8 oz. dark chocolate (.5 lb)

8 oz. butter (2 sticks)

5 eggs

5 oz. sugar (5/8 Cup)

3 oz. flour (2/3 Cup)

Pour into greased mold. (Carnival serves it in ramekins.) Bake at 400 F for 12-14 minutes.

The recipe Carnival sent me did not include the yield for their "jumbo" recipe. (As one poster above wondered.) I am guessing (hope it works, please don't flame me if it doesn't) that the above would yield about 8 ramekins, give or take a couple either way. I would also guess that you would fill each ramekin maybe 2/3 full with the batter???

Happy Baking, and the first one to try it, post and let us know how it is!

P.S. It's not in the recipe, but on our cruise, Carnival topped the cake with powdered sugar, and served vanilla ice cream on the side.

I found that this recipe worked well for me and tasted just like Carnival's cake. The key is to refrigerate the batter overnight and then scoop it into ramekins and bake. This will give the cake its dense texture on the edges just like the real cake. If you bake without first refrigerating the batter, the cake will turn out spongy on the edges.

I have found that the above recipe has too much sugar and flour to produce the desired result and that would make it more spongy around the edges. I use 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons of sugar and 1/4 cup less two tablespoons of flour.

The texture is affected more than anything else I have tried by how long you beat the mixture once all the ingredients are assembled. There is no leavening agent in the cake, so the cook must beat it very vigorously and long to get enough air into the mixture to make it rise.

I cook this by observation. It usually requires between 9 1/2 minutes and 11 3/4 minutes depending on the oven and the humidity.

TIP: If you make it and it comes out too stiff, microwaving it for about 30-45 seconds per serving will make it more liquid.

Doc

Edited by DocF

I think I've just baked the perfect warm chocolate melting cake. The key is to first refrigerate the batter overnight. Then, bake it at 390 degrees for 10 minutes. Then I broil at 350 degrees for 5 minutes. Broiling will cook the top solid while leaving the inside fudgy.

• 1 month later...
I think this is what you want. It is the best! This was on another thread taken directly from the Carnival Cookbook: Enjoy!

CARNIVAL'S FLOURLESS CHOCOLATE CAKE

Unsweetened cocoa powder

2 (8-oz.) packages semisweet chocolate squares, coarsely chopped

1/2 cup butter - do not use margarine

5 large eggs, separated

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

1/4 cup sugar

Grease a 9-inch springform pan, and dust with unsweetened cocoa powder.

Melt chopped chocolate and butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring until smooth.

Whisk together egg yolks and vanilla in a large bowl. Gradually stir in warm chocolate mixture, whisking until well blended.

Beat egg whites at high speed with electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beating until sugar dissolves and stiff peaks form. Fold one-third beaten egg white mixture into chocolate mixture; gently fold in remaining egg white mixture just until blended. Spoon batter into prepared pan, spreading evenly.

Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes. (Do not overbake!) Let stand in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes before removing sides of pan

this not the right one

I am desperately hoping someone might be able to get a recipe for Carnival's warm chocolate melting cake -- the one that's now on the alternative menu every night. My girlfriend fell in love with it and now I want to be able to make it for her.

If anyone can help, it'd be greatly appreciated!

hay

John Heald had a video on how to make it in one of his blogs this week

• 5 years later...

8 oz semi sweet chocolate

1 cup butter

7 eggs divided

6 tbsp sugar

1/2 cup flour

1 tsp powdered sugar for garnish

Preheat oven to 375

Melt chocolate and butter. Cool 10 min

Whisk 4 eggs with the sugar

Whisk in the flour

Whisk in remaining 3 eggs

Add egg mixture to chocolate mixture

Pour into greased ramikins

Bake 20 minutes

Garnish

Serve

Save me some!

Of course, the sole purpose of that cruise will be to beat the pastry chef into submission until he tells me the recipe for the cake... :)

No need to do that. If you book the Chef's table, they tell you the recipe and give a demonstration.

HOWEVER...IMO the recipe would work a lot better if they added a nib of frozen chocolate ganache to the center before baking.

This is the recipe for Melting Chocolate Cake that I used. Be sure you don't overcook it.

Ingredients Nutrition

• Servings

• Yield

8 ramekins

•  
    US

Directions

1. Melt chocolate and butter together.
  2. Mix half of eggs and sugar and whisk for a few minutes. Add flour. Then add rest of the eggs.
  3. Add egg mix to the melted chocolate mix.
  4. Pour mixture in individual ramekin cups.
  5. Bake in oven at 390 degrees (200 celsius) for 15-20 minutes.
  6. To serve, sprinkle top with powdered sugar and serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side.