Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Hi Wildcat, welcome to our amazingly wonderful family. I'm so sorry about Harley's vision....he'll need you more than ever once he loses his sight completely. Will you keep him or have you found a retirement home for him? It's so difficult to have health issues, be in need of a Service Dog and to retire one that has been "there" for you. I know, I'm living it!

I don't think that 6 months is near enough time to fully train a Service Dog. CCI takes one year to a year and a half to train their dogs. It's not fair to the dog and can be very frustrating for you and the dog to expect him/her to know his tasks and perform them without a lot of frustration on both sides. Yet, your needs are still there.

I wish you luck in all that your doing for Harley [he deserves the best for what he's done for you] and in your quest to receive a new dog.

Please keep us informed on Harley's health and how you're doing.

We're a very caring group of Service Dog handler's, who love to cruise, and some who don't have a Service Dog but are the most amazing support system for us. We truly love each other and even have been lucky enough to cruise together!

Thank you for the welcome :)

Thankfully, Harley will always be with me. He just won't be a working SD anymore, and with the excellent care I've always given him, I hope to have many more years of his loyal and loving company. My family is already worrying about how I'll handle our more frequent separation. But really, the only time I will have to leave him home is when it's too warm for him to be in the truck if I go somewhere after work or on the weekends.

As for the new SD, I know it will take well over a year to complete all his training, but I just wasn't sure at what point it would be okay to expose him to various situations as part of his training - including the cruise. Harley was 13mos old when I adopted him. Though we worked hard for a year with obedience and task training, and continually reinforcing the behaviors that were needed for my particular situation, he started being with me 100% of the time within 6 months and did very well. That's why I wasn't sure - because Harley was 18 mos old when he first traveled by air with me. So, while the new puppy will have trained for about the same amount of time by the cruise date, he will be much younger at approx. 8 mos. old.

(Incidentally, my most recent AKC Rottweiler - which I paid for/rescued about a year ago from a bad situation at 6 mos old - graduated top of his beginning and intermediate obedience classes. I sold him to an excellent family when I realized he was not SD material, and in fact was too rambunctious to even be around me as a pet (due to my mobility and balance issues). He's going to be a daddy in several weeks and I have pick of the litter. But I don't like the conformation of the female that they bred him to, so I'm not sure I want to take one.) My point is that I take the training very seriously and it IS a lifetime of reinforcement and consistency.

I look forward to being on this thread and I'm sure I will find lots of useful information from more experienced cruisers who have SD's! :D

Roz i'm so glad to see that you have booked cruises. Itmay be hard at first but as you move forward pushing hourself things will get better! I wish i could be there to help you with the firsr one. Hugs and Puppy Licks

Wildcat, I believe the cruiselines do not take a puppy in training as it must have paperwork that gives him public access. I'm sure others wii correct me if i'm wrong.

Welcome wildcat567

I'm one of the ones without a SD but we do have two handsome and beautiful labs. I have been made so welcome on here, they are such a great bunch of dog-loving, hug-giving and just downright decent folk, that I love "knowing" them all! :D

Sounds like you'll fit right in!

Well, I booked Debi, Horton and me onboard the Crown Princess for April 19, 2014. It's our "do-over" cruise. Hopefully, we'll enjoy this cruise as we should have enjoyed the one this past April. Big difference, we'll have insurance this time.

I've never been on the Crown. Who's her "sister" ship? She's newer and larger than the Sapphire and I love her.

I'll be on the Star at the end of September and that will also be a new ship for me.

Hi Roz - that sounds like a great plan .... I was so happy to read your post this morning :)

I haven't sent you a long distance hug for a while, so here they are .....big transatlantic whoosh ..... Lots ..... to make up - CATCH! ;):D

Roz i'm so glad to see that you have booked cruises. Itmay be hard at first but as you move forward pushing hourself things will get better! I wish i could be there to help you with the firsr one. Hugs and Puppy Licks

Wildcat' date=' I believe the cruiselines do not take a puppy in training as it must have paperwork that gives him public access. I'm sure others wii correct me if i'm wrong.[/quote']

Hi Valentine's Mom - ah puppy licks, that's so cute, I want some! :D

We gift wrapped at this B & N during the holidays. They asked us to come back this Saturday for Mothers Day. We think they may ask us to do the dame thing for Fathers Day. Not sure how it will go but some money is better than no money. During the holidays, we had more people donate without having anything wrapped than we did if we wrapped something for them.

Hi DKD - how did you do with the gift wrapping? Hope you found some generous shoppers!

Hi DKD - how did you do with the gift wrapping? Hope you found some generous shoppers!

We did really well. We collected $151. They asked us to come back the Saturday before Fathers Day. We have also been invited to set up at an Irish festival on June 1st.

Cindy, I met Keno on Saturday. It really is a shame you can't take him. He is a real sweetheart.

Thank you for the welcome :)

Thankfully, Harley will always be with me. He just won't be a working SD anymore, and with the excellent care I've always given him, I hope to have many more years of his loyal and loving company. My family is already worrying about how I'll handle our more frequent separation. But really, the only time I will have to leave him home is when it's too warm for him to be in the truck if I go somewhere after work or on the weekends.

As for the new SD, I know it will take well over a year to complete all his training, but I just wasn't sure at what point it would be okay to expose him to various situations as part of his training - including the cruise. Harley was 13mos old when I adopted him. Though we worked hard for a year with obedience and task training, and continually reinforcing the behaviors that were needed for my particular situation, he started being with me 100% of the time within 6 months and did very well. That's why I wasn't sure - because Harley was 18 mos old when he first traveled by air with me. So, while the new puppy will have trained for about the same amount of time by the cruise date, he will be much younger at approx. 8 mos. old.

(Incidentally, my most recent AKC Rottweiler - which I paid for/rescued about a year ago from a bad situation at 6 mos old - graduated top of his beginning and intermediate obedience classes. I sold him to an excellent family when I realized he was not SD material, and in fact was too rambunctious to even be around me as a pet (due to my mobility and balance issues). He's going to be a daddy in several weeks and I have pick of the litter. But I don't like the conformation of the female that they bred him to, so I'm not sure I want to take one.) My point is that I take the training very seriously and it IS a lifetime of reinforcement and consistency.

I look forward to being on this thread and I'm sure I will find lots of useful information from more experienced cruisers who have SD's! :D

"Puppies-In-Training" do not have the same "public rights" as fully trained dogs. Although, we all love and admire what they can do, there's just too much risk involved with what can go wrong on a ship and a puppy who's skill level is compromised.

The "lifetime" of reinforcement that you talk about with our dogs is so true. Horton is a perfect example of a highly skilled and trained dog who can get into serious trouble if he weren't watched in public.

Wildcat' date=' I believe the cruiselines do not take a puppy in training as it must have paperwork that gives him public access. I'm sure others wii correct me if i'm wrong.[/quote']

You said the key words "moving forward"......it's not as easy as it sounds!

Thank you so much for your warm hugs and "puppy licks!"

Hi Roz - that sounds like a great plan .... I was so happy to read your post this morning :)

I haven't sent you a long distance hug for a while, so here they are .....big transatlantic whoosh ..... Lots ..... to make up - CATCH! ;):D

Caught it, love! Thank you so much......I need every hug I can get!!!!!!

Well, I booked Debi, Horton and me onboard the Crown Princess for April 19, 2014. It's our "do-over" cruise. Hopefully, we'll enjoy this cruise as we should have enjoyed the one this past April. Big difference, we'll have insurance this time.

I've never been on the Crown. Who's her "sister" ship? She's newer and larger than the Sapphire and I love her.

I'll be on the Star at the end of September and that will also be a new ship for me.

Hi Roz,

I'm glad that you're going cruising again.

I'm so sorry that you lost Morey. Hugs to you for battling on.

Who will look after Brenda while you cruise with Horton?

Cindy, I met Keno on Saturday. It really is a shame you can't take him. He is a real sweetheart.

Thanks Den for making me feel even worse. :( j/k

Glad you did good at the gift wrapping. We don't seem to have many fundraising things going on right now. I'm sure it will pick up.

Today is Wexlers free eye exam. After reading Wildcats post, I'm glad we are going.

Wildcat welcome to our strange little world. :D

Roz, so glad you booked another cruise. Love ya sis!!! :D "Big Hug and Smooch"

Hi Roz,

I'm glad that you're going cruising again.

I'm so sorry that you lost Morey. Hugs to you for battling on.

Who will look after Brenda while you cruise with Horton?

Celle: Brenda is 13 and has NEVER been boarded. Morey used to be her caretaker.......Now my son will come in and check on her, give her some loving and make sure that her automatic feeder is working and that she has water. He could take her to his house but she has her bed, her couch, her potty and all the familiar smells that have comforted her for her long life......I don't want to change too much for her.

I leave her alone during the day [while Horton and I go to work], she's become more and more used to it now. She will sometimes lay by Morey's bathroom door [i think she thinks he's in there hiding.] I leave the TV on for her [i don't think I'd do that for a whole week.] I'll leave the radio on for her when I'm gone for a week.

CCI has suggested that I put her into a "Senior Home", where there are other older dogs for her to nap away her days with. But, she seems to be thriving on staying at home and waiting for Horty and me. I love on her when I get home and Horty gives her plenty of attention too!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Thanks Den for making me feel even worse. :( j/k

Glad you did good at the gift wrapping. We don't seem to have many fundraising things going on right now. I'm sure it will pick up.

Today is Wexlers free eye exam. After reading Wildcats post, I'm glad we are going.

Wildcat welcome to our strange little world. :D

Roz, so glad you booked another cruise. Love ya sis!!! :D "Big Hug and Smooch"

Love you too. I wish you were closer, then Brenda could go to Auntie Cindy's house when I'm cruising.

Celle: Brenda is 13 and has NEVER been boarded. Morey used to be her caretaker.......Now my son will come in and check on her, give her some loving and make sure that her automatic feeder is working and that she has water. He could take her to his house but she has her bed, her couch, her potty and all the familiar smells that have comforted her for her long life......I don't want to change too much for her.

I leave her alone during the day [while Horton and I go to work], she's become more and more used to it now. She will sometimes lay by Morey's bathroom door [i think she thinks he's in there hiding.] I leave the TV on for her [i don't think I'd do that for a whole week.] I'll leave the radio on for her when I'm gone for a week.

CCI has suggested that I put her into a "Senior Home", where there are other older dogs for her to nap away her days with. But, she seems to be thriving on staying at home and waiting for Horty and me. I love on her when I get home and Horty gives her plenty of attention too!

I knew you would do what's best for Brenda. I was just curious. Hugs!!

I knew you would do what's best for Brenda. I was just curious. Hugs!!

Celle, I love her so much.....she was "there" for me when I was so afraid to go to work; when I needed a friend to comfort me; when I couldn't come out of the dark......she was the one who gave me strength and love.....I OWE HER!!!!!

....Now my son will come in and check on her, give her some loving and make sure that her automatic feeder is working and that she has water.

We need to decide what to do with our dog,while we cruise.

How often does your son check on her?

And what sort of"set up" do you leave for her?

....Now my son will come in and check on her, give her some loving and make sure that her automatic feeder is working and that she has water.

There are some great "doggie-day-care's" who will keep our dogs over night. This can get pretty pricey though. Ours charges $35 per day.

My son will stop in every day [evening] to give her some loving and check her water and feeder.

We bought the automatic feeder from Petco [$90]. I programmed it to feed her twice a day [1 cup at 8:00am and 1 cup at 2pm]. It works so well. I pick it up during my days off and on weekends. It continues to drop the food, and when she hears it she goes to the diningroom [where it's on the bar] and looks at it. I'm sure there's a way to put it into a "holding pattern" but I don't know how. It works on three "D" batteries and because there's a counter on it to let you know how much has been fed, you can be sure it either worked or not.

Brenda is not a big water drinker so her water dish only needs to be changed once a day. Horton drinks a huge amount of water and his needs to be changed twice a day.

My son will stop in every day [evening] to give her some loving and check her water and fee

Thank you,I don't feel comfortable about leaving our dog for 23 + hours per day,esp as he is a working dog.I would also worry about illness etc if there was no one there to pick up on it.

Are you allowed to do that in your home town?

My son will stop in every day [evening] to give her some loving and check her water and fee

Thank you,I don't feel comfortable about leaving our dog for 23 + hours per day,esp as he is a working dog.I would also worry about illness etc if there was no one there to pick up on it.

Are you allowed to do that in your home town?

You are so right about it being a long day. It all sounded so workable but in reality it was too long of a day and I don't think I can do it. Leaving Brenda alone during my work day is one thing but an entire day was just too much. My life has taken on a lot of different issues without my Morey in it.

Although, I may have felt that Brenda would be safe and fine....."what if's" are all over the place.

One of my colleague's at work has offered to have Brenda stay at her house for the week. She has two Pugs who love Miss "B" and this may work or "Doggy-Daycare" may be my best option. Whatever I do it will be with Brenda's best interest first!!!

Roz: Despite what anyone else says only we know what is best for our furkids. I have been having pains trying to decide what to do with Jezzy Lou this summer. We are going to pick up our motorhome and cannot guarantee that it won't have to go back into the shop for them to fix issues that we need done. We would take Jezzy and Leann Emily with us, but if we have to put it back in the shop, even if just during the day it would be a nightmare. It is in Tucson and we will be picking it up between 1st and 2nd week of June. My friend that does pet sitting does not keep them in the house. They are in an enclosed, covered patio, but they are not used to being outside, especially in this high heat. I was in a turmoil. But, have resolved it. I am taking them to Havasu to the pet resort. I know they will get good care there and I won't have to worry about them with the heat. Wheewww, a big load off my mind. Even though it is 90 miles one way, it is worth it to me. Too bad we don't have anything in our area. But, I sure wouldn't want the responsibility of taking care of someone else's animal. I am sure Ms. Brenny will be fine and your son is more than capable, but like you said, what if?

Hugs to you and the babies!

Roz: Despite what anyone else says only we know what is best for our furkids. I have been having pains trying to decide what to do with Jezzy Lou this summer. We are going to pick up our motorhome and cannot guarantee that it won't have to go back into the shop for them to fix issues that we need done. We would take Jezzy and Leann Emily with us, but if we have to put it back in the shop, even if just during the day it would be a nightmare. It is in Tucson and we will be picking it up between 1st and 2nd week of June. My friend that does pet sitting does not keep them in the house. They are in an enclosed, covered patio, but they are not used to being outside, especially in this high heat. I was in a turmoil. But, have resolved it. I am taking them to Havasu to the pet resort. I know they will get good care there and I won't have to worry about them with the heat. Wheewww, a big load off my mind. Even though it is 90 miles one way, it is worth it to me. Too bad we don't have anything in our area. But, I sure wouldn't want the responsibility of taking care of someone else's animal. I am sure Ms. Brenny will be fine and your son is more than capable, but like you said, what if?

Hugs to you and the babies!

Amazing how our dogs [and cats] take such important roles in our lives. Whether they be a Service Dog or a beloved pet, they hold a very important place in our hearts and minds.

Both of mine are getting their Rabies Vaccines next Friday. Which means Brenda will be coming to work with me and Horty. It gives everyone a chance to see her, although she will be going to the groomer before the doctor visit. It gives me a chance to check out their doggie daycare facility while she's having a day at the spa.

Your such a good "mommy" when it comes to your furbabies! I still remember your stories about Reno.