Etiquette questions..

VMax1700

I totally agree with the poster who said to use a baggie and take them home. I have been saving my nail clippings (both finger and toe) for decades and would hate to lose any while on a cruise. At home I store them in a crystal vase that in my dining room china cabinet. I think they are quite lovely and they are definitely items of conversation when we have guests for dinner. Just my opinion.......................

Too much!clear.png?emoji-grin-1677

Any one else finding this entire thread gross and disgusting?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I absolutely hate the sound of nail clipping! Nails on a chalkboard, no problem. The sound of nail clipping drives me batty. I have to file mine.

For sure! But I will pass along the answer (to the first question) from our experience a couple of years ago (on an NCL ship) -- my wife and I were having a very relaxing morning on a couple of loungers up on a high deck facing the ocean. So beautiful and peaceful. But then along came a woman in her twenties or so; she sat down on a lounger next to my wife, pulled out a nail clipper, and began clipping her toenails. Clip, clop, clip, clop, right onto the deck. GROSS! My wife politely asked this woman to please do her personal grooming in her cabin. To which this woman replied, "I'm on a cruise, I'm free to do whatever I want, wherever I want." She then pulled out a pedicure kit and started applying stinky nail polish remover, and my wife a bit more sternly made it clear to her that this was not the place for her pedicure. The woman finally got up and moved away.

They walk among us

I absolutely hate the sound of nail clipping! Nails on a chalkboard, no problem. The sound of nail clipping drives me batty. I have to file mine.

I was on the NY subway last week and a gentleman decided it was good time to clip his nails. :eek:

Wow! Are we running out of problems?

But since the topic has been broached, you can separate whisker fragments from shaving gel. Just save the whole mass, put it in s tub or large vat to dilute the gel completely, then skim off the floating whiskers, then carefully drain the liquid so you can later pick up

The heavier ones which sank,

Wow, I thought my husband was the only one who took the time at hoe to separate his whisker fragments from the shaving gel! Cool.... :):p:eek:

• 11 months later...

just when you think you have heard it all toenails nail clipping please.

do you all count toilet paper squares? come on such silly questions

reminds me of in the old days what time is the midnight buffet?where does the crew live?come on people

I have two questions regarding the correct etiquette for pax......

1/ How do you dispose of nail clippings? On shorter cruises I never had the necessity, but recently we have done a couple of 14/15 day cruises and the nails need to be trimmed! But where to put the clippings........just in the bathroom bin? wrap them in a tissue and put in the bin? or DW's suggestion of put them into a 'Lady Bag' and put them in the bin?

and 2/ I use an electric razor, so when it needs to be 'emptied', where do I dispose of the 'shavings'......

I did meet the Environmental Officer on the Rotterdam last week and was going to ask her but as she was having dinner at the time I decided to pass ;)

I just treat myself to a pedicure, then the beautician disposes of them for me! One of the little luxuries of cruising! [emoji483]

I just treat myself to a pedicure, then the beautician disposes of them for me! One of the little luxuries of cruising! [emoji483]

I completely agree! ;) If in room grooming is necessary, I generally use a tissue to collect and dispose of the trimmings. Especially because there isn't a trash bag in the bins, and that stuff can get everywhere!

For sure! But I will pass along the answer (to the first question) from our experience a couple of years ago (on an NCL ship) -- my wife and I were having a very relaxing morning on a couple of loungers up on a high deck facing the ocean. So beautiful and peaceful. But then along came a woman in her twenties or so; she sat down on a lounger next to my wife, pulled out a nail clipper, and began clipping her toenails. Clip, clop, clip, clop, right onto the deck. GROSS! My wife politely asked this woman to please do her personal grooming in her cabin. To which this woman replied, "I'm on a cruise, I'm free to do whatever I want, wherever I want." She then pulled out a pedicure kit and started applying stinky nail polish remover, and my wife a bit more sternly made it clear to her that this was not the place for her pedicure. The woman finally got up and moved away.

OMG That's so gross. What is wrong with people.

Sorry to the “old timers” on this site, but some of these topics are new to those of us who have just joined the community. So feel free to pass them by if you’ve already exhausted your tolerance for providing input. 🍸🍸

Now for some real Shipboard etiquette:

Onboard ships, the lady climbs the stairs in front of the gentleman., the gentleman leads when walking down.

In the Dining Room, it is perfectly acceptable to rest ones elbows on the table.

It is appropriate that if you have Served in the Military or have attended Maritime Academy, to halt and face the Vessel’s Colours. A salute is not appropriate as you are on a civil vessel.

One never wears a hat inside the vessel.

Sorry to the “old timers” on this site, but some of these topics are new to those of us who have just joined the community. So feel free to pass them by if you’ve already exhausted your tolerance for providing input. 🍸🍸

I do not mind topics being brought up repeatedly for "newbies" ......... that makes sense. I'm just gobsmacked at THIS thread being dragged up.

How to dispose of toenail clippings. For cryin' out loud.

Exactly.Oh and to respond to the post after that one..surely there are exceptions to the hat rule(medical or religious ones to be specific.)Surely people aren't all THAT cold hearted.