At what point did you no longer feel like a new cruiser?

Kobayashi

I haven't sailed anywhere near as much as 99% of the users on this site have. That being said, on my last cruise there was someone waiting in line at guest services and he saw me and mentioned how long the line was taking for a simple question he had. So I asked him what it was and was able to help that he got out of line (he wanted to know when the schedule was available for the next day and I mentioned it was probably already waiting in his cabin as his cabin steward probably left it there while he was at dinner). He noted this was his first cruise and didn't realize that. At that point I felt a little more comfortable with my knowledge learned here and what little cruising experience I had.

So my question is at what point do you feel like you're no longer a new cruiser? There is a ton of information that I'm still learning and that's just about one cruise line. It almost seems like it would take multiple cruises on various lines to really feel like I was a seasoned cruiser

Adding: it wasn't until my second cruise and after reading here that I realized room service was an option. By the third cruise I figured out there was a "fast pass" program for getting on and off the ship. I wonder what the 10th or 20th cruise will be like :).

Edited by Kobayashi

I'm getting ready to book our 3rd cruise and I feel like I at least know the critical questions to ask lol I've shaken my virginity, but that's about it. There's still so much I don't know! found CC after my 1st cruise but before my 2nd. Thanks to CC my 2nd cruise was so much better!

I think I started to get a clue after my second or third cruise.

You learn so much those first few times, and start to get a feel for all of the little tips and tricks to make things easier. It helped that my family members had been on several cruises when I first decided to give it a try (I should have done it sooner!). Since they knew where all the bodies were buried, it didn't take long for me to catch on. Even after several cruises, I'm still learning!

We've sailed on RCCL and HAL so far - on their ships I feel like I pretty much know my way around. Our next cruise is on Princess so we'll probably feel a little like "newbies" since Princess probably does some things a bit differently. Although with the info available on CC there are generally fewer surprises.

I took my first two Cunard cruises as a child so I'll discount those.

My answer: after my first and after a few months of reading CC daily. I took my first as an adult with my mom. We were clueless about formal night. Clueless about everything. Fast forward six months and I took four of my kids, the youngest five, in one cabin with me. My aging aunt and my mom in two other cabins. I arranged all the airfare, hotels, and cruise for everyone. I was as prepared as I have ever been for anything. That was thanks to Cruisecritic! That was such a great cruise :).

After my 1st cruise! Actually, I read the cruise brochure and boarding documents from cover to cover, so I knew what I was getting into.

I think most folks don't do any research at all....and then they might feel a bit "lost"...research is key, whether it's a cruise, or a land vacation to someplace you've never been!

I realized I was "seasoned" when crew members recognized me, called me by name and exchanged hugs with me when we met on another ship. This has happened on more than one occasion and I have the same "warm and fuzzy" feeling every time.

Hello In, Lucia, Chef, Patrick, Kumar, Xavier and all the others whose names escape me.

On our first cruise, with Sea Princess, there was an exchange of passengers halfway round, at Barbados, and I felt quite experienced when I was asked by newcomers where they could get a cup of tea....it had taken me 2 days to find the buffet!

I have been on 8 cruises, 3 different lines, and I have 2 more booked this year, one on a line I have not yet sailed on. I still feel like a new cruiser, and that is one of the things I love! So much can be new! New places, new people... I like mixing it up and taking different lines and different ships... it all feels new each time, and I learn something I didn't know before each time so far. And I really feel like a new cruiser reading posts on CC from very seasoned cruisers! Love it! :)

I like what live2vayk said about different things feeling new. We have been on 10 cruises with 3 different lines and have two more cruises scheduled. I don't think I will ever stop feeling like a new cruiser.

Every time we walk up the gangway and I hear that "ding" for the first time when my card is swiped, I feel that same excitement that I felt on our first cruise. I hope I never lose that sense of wide-eyed amazement and tingle of anticipation.

Happy sailing everyone! It's a great way to see the world!!! :D

After my 1st cruise! Actually, I read the cruise brochure and boarding documents from cover to cover, so I knew what I was getting into.

I think most folks don't do any research at all....and then they might feel a bit "lost"...research is key, whether it's a cruise, or a land vacation to someplace you've never been!

I pretty much agree. I read everything I could get my hands on, but discovering Cruise Critic was HUGE in helping me not feel overwhelmed or not sure what to do. I felt pretty confident after my first cruise.

Reading the cruise reviews for prior cruisers on my ship goes a long way towards getting informed how they embarked and disembarked the ship. And learning about "secret" spots are always a joy to learn. And participating in your sailing's roll call is a great way to get to know other people prior to sailing. Many of those cruisers have already sailed on that ship or done that itinerary so you won't feel so "new" even though you haven't been on the ship or that itinerary before.