Port visits, many now departing 9pm or later

barriead

This is one occasion where you are probably wrong Dai, unless you are going to argue with an experienced cruise ship deck officer, check out this link.

https://www.quora.com/How-fast-are-cruise-ships

I did not reply directly as I thought you posted this as a joke. Well a history lesson. This guy is talking about last century, not the last ten years or so which is what I am talking about. And what I thought Selbourne was discussing. Everything built after 2000 for P&O has a top speed of around 22 knots

BTW I fully agree with your example in the past meaning 22 years ago and beyond the ships were faster as they were lines not cruise ships.

The only fast cruise ship/liner we have now is QM2.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So, following your logic, can you explain why times in port have not increased again if that was a temporary issue? I'd suggest it's because the lower fuel volumes that they discovered that they could use would have been locked in to their business model. If you leave a port early, the time you 'have' to get to the next port is longer than the time you would 'need' if you left later. That means you can go slower, which saves money. Simple!

But you are assuming that the ships are leaving earlier. Certainly since 2006 there has been little difference in the departure times of the cruises I have been on. That of course was before the oil crises. Not sure where you are getting your information about leaving early apart from a great deal of hearsay.

slightly off topic I know but why do people always assume it's the IT departments fault? yes they are in charge of the website but they only publish the information that the business gives them. It's not the role of IT to verify the content. and yes I do work in IT...!! :-)

They can have as many late nights as they like people will always come back to the ship for dinner.

Unless they are in an excursion with dinner included I agree, no idea why but it gets to a certain time and I want to be back on board.

I do like evening sail-aways when it's dark.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So, following your logic, can you explain why times in port have not increased again if that was a temporary issue? I'd suggest it's because the lower fuel volumes that they discovered that they could use would have been locked in to their business model. If you leave a port early, the time you 'have' to get to the next port is longer than the time you would 'need' if you left later. That means you can go slower, which saves money. Simple!

Also less time in port = lower berthing fees.

But you are assuming that the ships are leaving earlier. Certainly since 2006 there has been little difference in the departure times of the cruises I have been on. That of course was before the oil crises. Not sure where you are getting your information about leaving early apart from a great deal of hearsay.

I am assuming nothing. I speak from personal experience, not hearsay. On our first P&O cruise (before your first one admittedly), we left ports between 6 and 7pm and ran pretty flat out between ports. Nowadays the norm is at least an hour before that, often more, with cruising speeds that, even though a lot slower (as the ships are slower, as we all agree) are further below the ships top speed . You seem hung up on the oil crises. Whilst that may have forced some changes, all sharp businesses (of which P&O is one) are constantly focused on cost control nowaday. So when fuel is one of your most significant costs, you will schedule in a way that minimises its usage. I suspect, however, that you will still not be convinced, so we will just have to agree to disagree.

I am assuming nothing. I speak from personal experience, not hearsay. On our first P&O cruise (before your first one admittedly), we left ports between 6 and 7pm and ran pretty flat out between ports. Nowadays the norm is at least an hour before that, often more, with cruising speeds that, even though a lot slower (as the ships are slower, as we all agree) are further below the ships top speed . You seem hung up on the oil crises. Whilst that may have forced some changes, all sharp businesses (of which P&O is one) are constantly focused on cost control nowaday. So when fuel is one of your most significant costs, you will schedule in a way that minimises its usage. I suspect, however, that you will still not be convinced, so we will just have to agree to disagree.

I am not hung up on the oil business as you suggest. It was at that point that Carnival issued their dictate that ships should run slower. It was from that point that these discussions about the speed of ships and time in port started. That dictate was rescinded not long after that. If you had stated at the start that your experiences of faster cruising was before 2000 then I would have agreed. But in the terms of this thread, i.e. Longer times in port I did not expect anyone to be. using pre 2000 information. My comments are relating to the past 10 years or so.

I did not reply directly as I thought you posted this as a joke. Well a history lesson. This guy is talking about last century, not the last ten years or so which is what I am talking about. And what I thought Selbourne was discussing. Everything built after 2000 for P&O has a top speed of around 22 knots

V

BTW I fully agree with your example in the past meaning 22 years ago and beyond the ships were faster as they were lines not cruise ships.

The only fast cruise ship/liner we have now is QM2.

Dai, can I suggest you read the article fully before you make a fool of yourself by quoting rubbish.

The guy in the article served on HAL from 2009-2017, which is definitely this century and his comments about arranging sailing times to ensure the most economic sailing times clearly relate to the present.

Dai, can I suggest you read the article fully before you make a fool of yourself by quoting rubbish.

The guy in the article served on HAL from 2009-2017, which is definitely this century and his comments about arranging sailing times to ensure the most economic sailing times clearly relate to the present.

Just been perusing again and found this on the website...we will soon know the answer::)

15 Aug 2017-Sep 1st

VENTURA: Round-trip cruise from Southampton, Cruise itinerary : 7 ports

• Southampton
  • Palma
  • Athens CRESCENT MOON
  • Rhodes CRESCENT MOON
  • Mykonos
  • Katakolon
  • Messina Strait CRESCENT MOON
  • Messina Strait
  • Gibraltar
  • Southampton

Well Rhodes Cruise ship schedule for the port is showing as 10pm, so that one looks correct.

However, Athens port schedule shows Ventura leaving at 1700

Well again you are twisting words. Stop it. You are the fool. When you butted in the conversation I was having was about the speeds of ships between ports. Read my reply to Selbourne above. I said before that the ships go at at a speed that will get them to the next port on an itinerary on time. That's all I said but you butted in. Thankyou.

Once again you answer what you think I posted and not what I posted.

Edited by daiB

Thank you. The commentary from the officer is almost word for word what we were told a few years ago by a P&O captain and fits exactly with the contrast we are able to make between our first P&O cruise 21 years ago and our more recent ones. It's all common sense and of course probably helps to explain why cruising was so much more expensive (in real terms) than it is today. Just look at the improvement in miles per gallon that a car achieves on a motorway if you decrease speed by just 10mph and then consider the difference in gallons per mile for a cruise ship by reducing speed by just 1 knot! With the number of ships and mileage covered across the fleet, the saving would be measured in £m's. All good businesses these days cost engineer every element of their business and as fuel is one of P&O's biggest costs there is no way that they would overlook the opportunity to save vast sums of money by going slower than they need to between ports, especially as less time ashore means spending more money on board. It's a no brainer.

The officer response is exactly what I was told in person by a cruise ship captain 2 weeks ago. Speeds are set for economy, environmental and comfort reasons.

Too fast and the ship leans in turns, once a lean gets to 3 degrees from vertical on a calm sea it becomes uncomfortable.

Well Rhodes Cruise ship schedule for the port is showing as 10pm, so that one looks correct.

However, Athens port schedule shows Ventura leaving at 1700

Hi, that's our cruise and we have been informed today by P&O that they are swapping the stops for Mykonos and Athens. Apparently there are about 4 / 5 large cruise ships in Mykonos on the 24th (we were wondering how the place would cope) so they are swapping them around rather than face tendering issues. We will now hit Mykonos on the 22nd and Athens on the 24th, so it will be interesting to see. We're more than happy as well, as we will now be in Athens as the same time as the Constellation - the ship we've booked for next August. It'll be good to 'size her up' ;-)The new itinerary is:

Southampton

Palma

Mykonos

Rhodes CRESCENT MOON

Athens CRESCENT MOON

Katakolon

Messina Strait CRESCENT MOON

Messina Strait

Gibraltar

Southampton

:)

Yes, I love the late departures. We had a 10pm departure once from Dubrovnik, so went ashore at about 6.30 and sat in the square and had a glas of wine while someone played the piano. On Adonia next March we will be having a drink ashore in both Bordeaux and Seveille where we are overnight. Much nicer.

Yes, I love the late departures. We had a 10pm departure once from Dubrovnik, so went ashore at about 6.30 and sat in the square and had a glas of wine while someone played the piano. On Adonia next March we will be having a drink ashore in both Bordeaux and Seveille where we are overnight. Much nicer.

Part of us isn't keen, but the one thing we miss on a cruise holiday is the atmosphere of a place when it comes alive at night and the chance to have an evening there. Next year we have an overnight in Dubrovnik and we are sure that we will love it. Must admit, I would love to do a cruise with an overnight in Jerusalem, but they don't do those in the school holidays :-(

One of the advantages of second sitting. Go ashore for drinks at 6.30 and still get back in time for dinner at 8.30. Or eat ashore even.

We're Freedom Dining so no worries there :-)

Really looking forward to the cruise now. Have been watching our videos of Oceana last year and hope that Ventura delivers the good this year as well. :-)

Well again you are twisting words. Stop it. You are the fool. When you butted in the conversation I was having was about the speeds of ships between ports. Read my reply to Selbourne above. I said before that the ships go at at a speed that will get them to the next port on an itinerary on time. That's all I said but you butted in. Thankyou.

Once again you answer what you think I posted and not what I posted.

No Dai your comment was that the ships speed between ports was dictated by distance only and had nothing to do with economics.

But you're never likely to accept the word of an expert, not me but the HAL deck officer, when you always know best.

No Dai your comment was that the ships speed between ports was dictated by distance only and had nothing to do with economics.

But you're never likely to accept the word of an expert, not me but the HAL deck officer, when you always know best.

Well if you do not understand what I am saying then don't reply. The speed is determined by how far there is to sail. Quite simply. That is determined by the planners 3 or more years in advance. They determine the speed.