Hotels in Anchorage?

vacationlover_mn

We stayed at Millinneum Alaska Hotel (used to be called Lakefront)on Spenard Road last year & it was very nice. Good restaurants & airport shuttle plus air conditioner in the room. It was hot so AC was great.

The trouble with this location is that it takes a taxi to get to downtown. Can't walk anywhere from this location. Crappy part of town too. Watching the float planes taking off and landing is the only plus I can think of.

I've stayed at the Hilton. It's nice (pretty standard Hilton) and it's close to the train station and to the museum. For August, we have reservations at the Voyager Inn. It's a block from the Captain Cook. Hertz has a location there where we will pick up our rental.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

I worked at the Quik Print print shop on 4th. The corner next to us was a strip club I think called the Wild Cherry. Diagonally was a pawn shop. I am looking forward to my return in 26 days.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

My parents Owned a Hallmark store/Gift shop on the corner of 4th & C Street. Worked there as a teenager, it was called Bering Sea Originals. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't remember the cross street. We also had a shop on Northern Lights Blvd. A less exciting area!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

No that's where the only Mall Anchorage had when I was a teen, the Sears Mall!!!! Northern Lights Blvd is one of the main cross streets 40-50 yrs ago (in my day) 😳

• 2 weeks later...

I think I have a better grasp on our itinerary now... We likely won't get to the hotel until 6pm, and then our flight leaves the next day at 6am. I think we would prefer a clean place to stay, with a free 24 hour shuttle to the airport, and close to AWESOME food, and maybe a nice bar. We are getting to the hotel via a tour, so we would have had an Anchorage tour prior to arriving at the hotel. Any further recommendations?

• 1 month later...

We live in Midtown Anchorage. Have been in the same home for 52 years. I'm amazed how Anchorage has grown during that stretch. I spend most of my summers in mountains of the interior, about 300 miles directly east of Anchorage.

When I get back home in the Fall I am always surprised at the amount of hotel construction that has taken place close to us. For instance, we are one block west of C Street on Arctic Blvd. That general area has began to be called "Hotel Row". Right now we have 10 or more relatively new hotels within not much more than a stones throw of our house. All within 10 minutes of the big airport as well, with shuttle service. A cab from our house to the airport costs $10.00 to $11.00. They include the Hyatt House, Crowne Plaza, Fairfield inn and Suites, Motel 6, Home @ Suites by Hilton, Homewood Suites, Hilton Garden Inn, Aspen Suites, Hampton Inn, Spring Hill Suites and other less known ones. Many name chain eateries separate these establishments.

https://www.adn.com/business/article/why-anchorages-c-street-hotel-cluster-exists/2015/11/15/

We just stayed at the Comfort Inn Ship Creek in August. It was close the train station, but also had an airport shuttle. It was just outside of downtown but it was an easy 10 minute walk, although a bit uphill. It was clean and the room was huge. No frills, but the price was good and we barely spent any time in the room!

La Quinta just opened this year in Anchorage. Not the best location but the hotel is new. They gutted an old property and everything is brand new. Rates were $85-$150 this summer. They offer shuttle service to/from the airport as well as the train depot.

La Quinta just opened this year in Anchorage. Not the best location but the hotel is new. They gutted an old property and everything is brand new. Rates were $85-$150 this summer. They offer shuttle service to/from the airport as well as the train depot.

Those must have been opening specials. i just checked for June 2018, and it came up as $307/night!

Those must have been opening specials. i just checked for June 2018, and it came up as $307/night!

Ouch! Yes may have been an intro offer this summer although not sure they'll do well at that price point for that area of town. We'll see what their prices are after the first of the year.

Do you need to stay in anc?

I dont know your plans, but if you have a car, consider staying outside the city to save money on lodging. If you're heading north, Wasilla is about an hr , or if you're headed south, look at girdwood.

If I were going to choose a hotel in downtown Anchorage it would be the Cook. Have stayed there a number of times over the years, usually New Years eve, and I rate it number one of the big hotels in Alaska.

On another thread, somebody else posted the question, (which is best, the Captain Cook or the Embassy Suites). It is hard to compare these two since the Embassy Suites is a motel type a little east of mid-town, best if you have wheels when staying there.

However, I got to contemplating where I would stay if visiting Anchorage without a vehicle and had ruled out downtown but had a little time to kill before traveling by air. I would definitely consider the Dimond Center Hotel. It is south of midtown but equal distance from the airport as say the Cook or the Embassy Suites are. This hotel is located by the Dimond Center Mall parking lot which is the largest Mall in Alaska. Directly to south and adjacent to the hotel is one of the largest Wallmarts in the State. All one needs to do is walk through the parking lots to get to either of these, no major arterials to fight vehicle traffic on.

The hotel is very modern with an Alaska flair, Alaska theme paintings and decor everywhere, it has free airport shuttle service, free Wi Fi, large quality lounge, free breakfast and a nice Bar "Old Cannery Bar". There is an endless number of top eateries within the mall and if one wants to take a short walk and cross over the Old Seward Highway there is a Sam's Club, Sportsmen's Warehouse and one of the newest and more popular Anchorage restaurants, "The Texas Roadhouse".

http://www.reservations.com/hotel/dimond-center-hotel?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIg5Ls6oyo1gIVDJ9-Ch0rDwlpEAAYASAAEgIx5vD_BwE

Ha I remember the Captain Cook Hotel being built. At the time the tallest and fanciest thing in Downtown Anchorage. I remember seeing the cranes lifting the pieces of the hotel together. The Original tower was modular and all the city came out to see the puzzle pieces being lifted into place. This would have been about 1970-71 I think. Boy we sure thought it was super fancy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Close and a good try, but no cigar. 1964. You saw the second tower going up. I remember 1964 well, as that is when my company wanted me to move to Anchorage from Cordova. We house sat that winter. It was also the year of the big earthquake, which took place on Good Friday. Watching Wally's big hotel going up then was certainly one of the most talked about happenings in Anchorage if not Alaska.

http://www.historichotels.org/hotels-resorts/hotel-captain-cook/history.php

Do you need to stay in anc?

I dont know your plans, but if you have a car, consider staying outside the city to save money on lodging. If you're heading north, Wasilla is about an hr , or if you're headed south, look at girdwood.

Don't know about the OP, but I've got great rates at the Comfort Suites at ANC for our arrival night and then at the Fairfield Inn Midtown for the night before our cruise. Headed up to Denali in-between those nights.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like our hotel construction boom is about to end its run. But not before three more good sized ones will be complete. All three of those are either on the new "Hotel Row" or very close to it. I was looking at the new Hyatt today. Excellent location for a small conference here in Anchorage as the breakfast buffet is out of this world. And the room rates are very good, for now that is. They also have a nice little bar. This Hyatt is on the southern end of the hotel row and another Hyatt is under construction on the north edge. Lots of nice eateries throughout the maze. https://www.adn.com/business-economy/2017/10/06/the-boom-in-anchorages-hotel-row-may-have-peaked/?sp-

tk=3B10C54ADF05E43E48B15BEFD6B3A89FADD249C138839AA65FC16E585888826EAD792CA4A93727743B6F2412A2F098BAA6987DCDB402CDE5796FAAB34933FA4FE1D38E1B6F406925FDBF7CA3C65595C56F56559C9184796959FC70A15BC9CB42932374B720287284C6FC4C69A1A2BAD9B52E616EF1A6B52ABCD20CF999883E78211B408D

• 3 weeks later...

We have stayed at the Hilton downtown before as well as at the Sheraton. Both require cab rides to the airport. Cost was $25. The Sheraton is not close to any restaurants. It is a three block walk to downtown. But downtown, there is a mall with food court, etc. The Hilton is right downtown and there are lots of restaurants there and it is across from the market that they have there. We also walked from the Hilton to the Convention Centre which is where the Princess Transfer picked us up. Restaurants there as well. The next time we are staying out at the Airport at a Home 2 Suites by Hilton. They have a complimentary shuttle bus to and from the airport. Plus Free Breakfast. We will be staying the night there and renting a car from the airport so we can see a bit more of Anchorage.

The next time we are staying out at the Airport at a Home 2 Suites by Hilton. They have a complimentary shuttle bus to and from the airport. Plus Free Breakfast. We will be staying the night there and renting a car from the airport so we can see a bit more of Anchorage.

HOME2 Suites by Hilton Anchorage is part of the new "Hotel Row" in Midtown, Anchorage which I mentioned earlier. Our home is about two blocks from this area. A cab to the airport usually runs us between $10.00 and $12.00.

"Hotel Row"---There are nine, relatively new, name hotels, between Tudor Road and International Airport Road on C Street today, with two more going up, and two others very close, all these are interspersed with eateries, some have their own restaurants and bars which allow walk-ins in addition to free breakfast for guests.

They include the Hyatt House, Crowne Plaza Anchorage, Fairfield inn and Suites, Motel 6, Home Suites by Hilton, Home 2 Suites by Hilton, Homewood Suites by Hilton, Hilton Garden Inn, Aspen Suites, Hampton Inn, Spring Hill Suites, Hyatt Place, Staybridge Suites and Courtyard by Marriott as well as other less known ones.