Hapag-LLoyd Europa 2.

English Voyager

HI Carolyn,

What interests me is that it is different. I'm not saying better, just different and I like to experience different approaches to luxury cruising. I love Seabourn and have hundreds of days aboard them but I also love to try other lines to see what they offer. Hapag Lloyd is truly unique so why not give them a shot?

Totally agree, wripro. I am enjoying the experience (will write about it shortly, Internet's a bit slow for serious work-related stuff though fine for vacation-minded efforts), though I'm thinking my next holiday cruise will probably be Seabourn. Same concept. Less effort. Especially if what I want is an easy Caribbean holiday.

Carolyn

HI Carolyn,

What interests me is that it is different. I'm not saying better, just different and I like to experience different approaches to luxury cruising. I love Seabourn and have hundreds of days aboard them but I also love to try other lines to see what they offer. Hapag Lloyd is truly unique so why not give them a shot?

Carolyn, I would be interested what aspects are above those of other luxury lines, those that are the same and any that fall below what you have experienced. Also, would like to hear about the passenger mix and also the crew.

Keith

• 3 weeks later...
Totally agree, wripro. I am enjoying the experience (will write about it shortly, Internet's a bit slow for serious work-related stuff though fine for vacation-minded efforts), though I'm thinking my next holiday cruise will probably be Seabourn. Same concept. Less effort. Especially if what I want is an easy Caribbean holiday.

Carolyn

Carolyn, we are waiting with baited breath for your review. Did you post it somewhere else???

TC2 (Jackie)

I'm very tempted to take a 7-day western Mediterranean cruise next summer aboard this ship...

I've secured a quote from an agent, and am just mulling it around. It's not inexpensive; for even a standard room it runs about $15K for two on a 7 day cruise. That's with a 5% early booking discount.

I went on a couple cruises back in the 80s with my parents when I was a teenager. I cannot recall the names of the boats now, but they were a let-down. This ship looks beautiful and the itineraries are quite nice. Also, many of the things that I found ridiculous about those earlier cruises seems to have been eliminated from the Happag Lloyd format (no tuxedos and assigned dinner companions, "captains dinner" etc.).

Despite my preference for non-formal attire, I don't want to immerse myself into a too casual scene where people are running around in beach wear all day.

The issues cited by others as reasons for hesitating, like paying for drinks (I don't drink), and being surrounded by non-English speaking passengers actually make me like the idea all the more.

I've looked at Seabourn and am not as excited about their itineraries nor the longer duration. Jumbo ships do not interest me in the least.

While I like the Europa 2 the best so far, any insights into other small ship lines would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I'm very tempted to take a 7-day western Mediterranean cruise next summer aboard this ship...

I've secured a quote from an agent, and am just mulling it around. It's not inexpensive; for even a standard room it runs about $15K for two on a 7 day cruise. That's with a 5% early booking discount.

I went on a couple cruises back in the 80s with my parents when I was a teenager. I cannot recall the names of the boats now, but they were a let-down. This ship looks beautiful and the itineraries are quite nice. Also, many of the things that I found ridiculous about those earlier cruises seems to have been eliminated from the Happag Lloyd format (no tuxedos and assigned dinner companions, "captains dinner" etc.).

Despite my preference for non-formal attire, I don't want to immerse myself into a too casual scene where people are running around in beach wear all day.

The issues cited by others as reasons for hesitating, like paying for drinks (I don't drink), and being surrounded by non-English speaking passengers actually make me like the idea all the more.

I've looked at Seabourn and am not as excited about their itineraries nor the longer duration. Jumbo ships do not interest me in the least.

While I like the Europa 2 the best so far, any insights into other small ship lines would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately there are few reviews of Europa 2 from passengers in the U.S. All you seem to be getting are cheerleaders from Oceania and Azamara which, IMO, are not in competition with Europa 2. From my perspective, the big question is whether or not you would be concerned that most of the passengers (around 90%) speak German. Also German passengers have a different way of doing things than those of us in the U.S.

If you are looking for a cruise line that includes alcohol and/or, you may want to look at luxury cruise lines (IMO, Regent). If you would like a premium plus experience, look at Azamara next year when they will become all-inclusive. Of, if you do not drink much and want the most beautiful ship at sea with incredible food (in the specialty restaurants), look at Oceania. Hope this helps:-)

Thanks in advance.

I took the plunge - booked a Southeast Asian cruise on Europa 2 next year. It is an anniversary for us so the expense could be justified. It is about double what we usually pay for an overseas vacation.

I am beyond excited about the trip. Like you I am not daunted by the thought of spending time among non-Americans, and actually look forward to it - kind of a mini-vacation in Germany. Unlike you I do drink alcohol, but I like the Hapag LLoyd reason for not including alcohol in the price; they say the quality would be less than their customer base is known to want. The ship itself looks elegant, and service and food are reported to be superb. Finally the itinerary is unusual, and very appealing.

• 2 weeks later...
I took the plunge - booked a Southeast Asian cruise on Europa 2 next year. It is an anniversary for us so the expense could be justified. It is about double what we usually pay for an overseas vacation.

I am beyond excited about the trip. Like you I am not daunted by the thought of spending time among non-Americans, and actually look forward to it - kind of a mini-vacation in Germany. Unlike you I do drink alcohol, but I like the Hapag LLoyd reason for not including alcohol in the price; they say the quality would be less than their customer base is known to want. The ship itself looks elegant, and service and food are reported to be superb. Finally the itinerary is unusual, and very appealing.

Like you, I took the plunge. I booked for the western Mediterranean next year. I couldn't find a better 7-day itinerary, and the ship just looks amazing. Also, I prefer not to subsidize the heavy drinking of others in my ticket price. ;)

Many thanks to the rest of you for your suggestions on the other lines, which looked nice as well.

• 1 month later...
Hi, Travelcat. Am heading out Friday for a four nighter on Europa 2 and will report back. Laughing at your comment about the nudity. My other experiences with Europa's cruise line (Hapag-Lloyd) were all pretty normal to this American save for the spa. I was on Europa, having a massage, and when the time came for me to change and get on the table the male masseuse just sort of stood there. I finally said -- you need to go now so I can change :) Felt somewhat provincial but on the other hand.....

Carolyn

Was this review ever posted? I can't find it anywhere on the site.

Not yet, DipBrat, I'm working on it. But can answer absolutely any questions you might have in the meantime.

Carolyn

For this trip I am looking at early 2015 so I can wait for the review for the details. I would be travelling with young children so the quality of the kids club and free fare for kids is very attractive as it means there will be a few other families on board. Your impressions of the suitability for mult-generational trips?

I am also wondering about the food and especially specialty restaurants. Some Europa reviews said there were difficulties booking specialty restaurants and that they were just OK. In our ideal world we might only eat in the MDR a few times outside of breakfast. (We prefer Asian and "lighter tasting" cuisine, especially Sushi) In fact it is Crystal's new alt. restaurant charge that led me to look at Hapag for this trip as had been leaning towards Crystal.

Grateful for any other first thoughts on your trip.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, DipBrat. On our trip there wasn't a lot of trouble booking the alternative restaurants (in fact I just showed up one night at Tarragon and got a table) but I think it depends on the itinerary, schedule, passenger mix. Definitely a "younger" crowd on our trip -- lots of families.

The kids' club was lame based on, say, Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Disney standards, but that's normal for Europe where the kids club isn't at the center of the cruise. It was certainly adequate. For multi-generational travelers: Absolutely recommend it.

One thing I need to check on (and really, am at final stages with the review!!!) is the ship's Asian restaurant. I thought it was very pleasant but it definitely wasn't very heavily booked and one of the staffers onboard hinted that the restaurant may be overhauled. Not sure where that stands, so will ask.

Hope that helps, thanks for your patience.

Carolyn

For this trip I am looking at early 2015 so I can wait for the review for the details. I would be travelling with young children so the quality of the kids club and free fare for kids is very attractive as it means there will be a few other families on board. Your impressions of the suitability for mult-generational trips?

I am also wondering about the food and especially specialty restaurants. Some Europa reviews said there were difficulties booking specialty restaurants and that they were just OK. In our ideal world we might only eat in the MDR a few times outside of breakfast. (We prefer Asian and "lighter tasting" cuisine, especially Sushi) In fact it is Crystal's new alt. restaurant charge that led me to look at Hapag for this trip as had been leaning towards Crystal.

Grateful for any other first thoughts on your trip.

It still is, English Voyager. Almost very nearly done. Sorry for the delay -- will post here when it's up.

Carolyn

I just found your post while I was surfing the web trying to find more information about the Europa 2. I have requested a quote for a combined 14 and 7 day trip in September from Athens to Istanbul and back to Athens. I am traveling with a person who is on kidney dialysis and the Europa 2 offers dialysis on selected trips. My main concern was the availability of English speaking shore excursions through the ship. I took a 14 day riverboat trip this summer on the MS Mozart (also a German ship) on the Danube and I made several German friends who I still communicate with. On the Mozart, they went out of their way to accommodate the small number of English speaking passengers. I am now over my fear of being in the minority on the ship. I am looking forward to your review as I wait for my quote. I am preparing myself for the sticker shock when the quote arrives.

Hi, wripro. Definitely, Douglas Ward who writes the Berlitz Guide loves loves loves Hapag-Lloyd and the line does a great job. But...not sure it's the best for North Americans though am supportive of the company's desire to attract more English speakers.

We've done Europa twice; the first time it was sublime, the second time frankly very poor for a luxury line (the review's up, check it out).

I liked Europa 2 a lot and am just finishing up the review. One thing it has against it -- the smoking by the way didn't bother me and I'm pretty sensitive -- is that for a luxury line it's not very inclusive in terms of tours, drinks, etc. That might be a hurdle for people, especially when in the US market the lines are really going more inclusive. We'll see.

Carolyn

The Hapag Lloyd ships are all beautiful with great food and service. The consistently rank higher than all the U.S. based luxury lines. Up till now it helped to speak German though.

It is my understanding that Hapag-Lloyd's alcoholic drink prices are not expensive, and, compared to other luxury lines, the selection may well be far more extensive (if the 35 brands of gin available are a guide).

As for drinks being inclusive, my attitude is I don't expect them to be if I stay in a 5* hotel, so it is of minimal concern to me if the same situation applies on a luxury ship.

The prices are very reasonable, especially the cocktails (less than 6 Euros). Tours are also very reasonably priced and usually quite good.

Tips are included. Even if they weren't - this is a German ship, so tips really are optional.