What does the code "Bright Star" mean?

Karshrimp

• 6 years later...

We just disembarked the Westerdam. Before leaving port in Seattle we heard them call the announcement of Bright Star, Bright Star, Bright Star. We were told a poor woman had passed away once reaching her cabin. We saw the medics come aboard with the stretcher and take her off. Not sure this is what Bright Star means but that is what we were told.

We just disembarked the Westerdam. Before leaving port in Seattle we heard them call the announcement of Bright Star, Bright Star, Bright Star. We were told a poor woman had passed away once reaching her cabin. We saw the medics come aboard with the stretcher and take her off. Not sure this is what Bright Star means but that is what we were told.

I've always hard that "Bright Star" was a medical emergency, and "Rising Star" was a death. :confused:

"SKY"

A death is never announced, just medical emergency. No one is dead until the doctor pronounces and they certainly don't make a public announcement.

This info is correct. Having just retired after doing 30 yrs as an ER RN, it always surprises me when people are astounded that people expire on cruise ships. All cruise ships are actually "towns" when on any given cruise and sometimes have up to 6000 passengers/crew members onboard. Any medical emergency can happen and does. That is why there is a medical staff onboard and also a morgue on every ship. If there is a medical emergency, one calls 911 on the ship, just like land, and the medical team is dispatched to the area of the ship, or cabin, where they are needed. It is also helpful if many, if not most passengers know how to do effective CPR and use an AED. :)

I hear Seraphim a lot. Does anyone know what that means?

That's a new one for me. Below are the more common ones (some of them are funny):

Bravo Bravo Bravo [port/starboard] – man overboard on port or starboard side

Bright Star – death or medical emergency

Code Adam – missing child (named after Adam Walsh)

Cold Alpha or Alpha Team – medical emergency or fire

Code Baby Ruth – feces in the pool

Code Bravo – fire

Code Delta – damage to the ship or disaster or multiple injuries

Code Orange – early stages of norovirus infection on a ship (Holland America)

– buffet is no longer self-serve but pools and other areas remain open

Code Oscar – man overboard

Code Papa – pollution (oil spill, etc)

Code Red – the dreaded norovirus

Code Sierra – medical emergency needing a stretcher

Code Winnie – feces in the pool (Disney)

Fallen Star – death

I'm sorry but "Code Baby Ruth" has got to be a joke. Anyone on the ship who's seen caddyshack would know exactly what that means. I also don't know that they'd need to dispatch people from all over the ship just to shut down and clean out a pool - that's just a call to maintenance. Still, I'd love to hear it be announced.

Edited by mferris77

I'm sorry but "Code Baby Ruth" has got to be a joke. Anyone on the ship who's seen caddyshack would know exactly what that means. I also don't know that they'd need to dispatch people from all over the ship just to shut down and clean out a pool - that's just a call to maintenance. Still, I'd love to hear it be announced.

I was going to say that I LOVE the Caddyshack reference! Would find it funny and disgusting to hear it announced.