What's your bio, solo cruisers?

HeartNP

I am 52 and divorced. My children were 2 and 5 when I was divorced, so I have spent the last 18 years being mom. Now both have graduated from college (well one is in a Master's program now) and they are both so supportive of me going to Alaska.(I love them.) I have wanted to go forever. I have been an RN for 29 years now and it is time for me. I will be going solo as most of my friends have already done it or don't want to go to Alaska. The roll call for my cruise has already created 3 new friends to meet on the cruise. After a year of "chatting" we should practically know each other's shoe size!

thanks for creating this thread! It reinforces that I am doing the right thing and going to have a fabulous time!

Born in the late, late 60's (doesn't sound as old), with 2 grown boys. I've sailed twice with them, once with the girl cousins for a bachelorette cruise and 3 times solo, with another booked for Jan 6th. I love traveling solo, doing what I want, when I want. Not having to worry about someone else. I would do it more if it weren't so pricey, as I come from the west coast to the east. I have no real interest in Mexico or Alaska. I love the warm waters and scenery back east.

A lot of interesting posts here! I am going 'sort of' solo on NCL Star in a couple months from NOLA. My sister and a friend will be next door, but I have my own cabin for the first time....I am looking forward to all that space...LOL

I have cruised solo, but in a quad room back on Festivale in the 80's...did not know the gals, but ended up having a great pal to go on excurisons with.

I have cruised with a friend met on a travel site, and we ended up going our separate ways nearly all the time...not as compatible as we thought we would be..but shared the cost of a balcony, so that was okay.

I have cruised with friends and family and loved the fun and laughter! But it is harder than you might think to get friends and family to go on cruises with you....there are always reasons why they can't afford it, can't get time off, can't leave their other family members, don't know what to do with their pets....yada..yada.....etc.

But this time I decided to just enjoy the room myself. We can do things together if we want, or not, she will be right next door...haha!

I am 63, divorced many years...don't mind spending time exploring by myself, or with someone else...can be happy sitting reading enjoying the ocean breezes.

I do enjoy having meals with someone though, or hanging around with someone in the evenings, to the lounges, or wherever some activity is.

I have never met a single over 50 male on a ship, I am beginning to doubt that many exist. There seem to be many more single women of all ages.

I am retired from teaching, loving my life, and try to cruise a couple times a year.

My next cruise after the Star, is NCL Epic next April 13, 2013. Booked a balcony. This will be the Eastern Caribbean...which I love!

I'm single and cruise some, usually 4-6 a year

My next roomie is 61, my last was younger than me, before that, 66, and then 2 that were in their 60's, all female

One of my previous roomies put it well about male roommates:

Handy for luggage

Less time and real estate in the bathroom

the make more noise(s)

Have a great time on the Epic, I simply must sail that sometime

I am 59 married man and my wife does not want to cruise so I go alone. I haven't done so yet but I can see mutual benefit to sharing a cabin besides the obvious cost savings. For the woman. Help with luggage & carry-on bags. More safety walking about at ports. No dirty looks from women when you talk to their husbands (since you are with a man yourself) A dinner companion & dance partner (no being asked by men you don't care to dance with or none at all) and a platonic friend to spend a little or a lot of time with and no tension or expectations. For the man it is many of the same advantages plus if you are walking around the port of call and get lost, the woman can ask directions since men never want to. LOL

I am 40 in a few weeks and like doing my own thing sometimes. I cruise solo because the talent on dating sites has been poor lately and I am often too lazy to go out and do things as cruise critic is like a full time job.

I did meet someone but she wanted to go on my solo cruise which wasnt cool

• 2 weeks later...

Lets see, I'm 50, single, and have done several solo cruises -- just booked my fourth fully solo cruise on the Carnival Breeze Dec 2. That said, I often also cruise with a group, although when I do I almost always get a solo cabin. I've done the cabin share thing in the past and don't really want to share a cabin any more. (Well, at least, not with anyone I'm not also sharing a bed with... :D )

Why do I cruise solo? I posted a top ten list two years ago here explaining it...:

Top Ten reasons to cruise solo:

10. You can sleep as late as you like

9. There's more room for luggage in the closet

8. You never have any confusion over which toothbrush belongs to who.

7. You never have to share your bingo winnings

6. The TV remote is mine, all mine! Bwah hah hah!

5. You can sing at full volume during Karaoke. None of your friends will complain. (Unless you've made new friends on board already...)

4. There will be no embarrassing pictures of you, dancing, drunk, on the tables with your underwear on your head, showing up in your friend's Facebook.

3. There will be nobody to complain you're late.

2. You never need special signals to let your roommate know the room is… um… "currently occupied".

1. Because it's more fun to cruise solo!

All kidding aside, I really do like cruising solo -- there's something about being on a cruise and knowing that at any given time you don't have to do *anything* or coordinate with anyone else's schedule that makes it quite possibly the ideal vacation. Like others who've posted here, it really doesn't matter to me if I make new friends or hook up with anyone. (That said, I'm always open to both -- although honestly with my... um... special interests, hook ups are highly unlikely for me on a solo cruise... ;) ) What matters is living in the moment and enjoying the cruise for what it is.

I am 40 in a few weeks and like doing my own thing sometimes. I cruise solo because the talent on dating sites has been poor lately and I am often too lazy to go out and do things as cruise critic is like a full time job.

I did meet someone but she wanted to go on my solo cruise which wasnt cool

I gotta agree with you about the lack of talent on dating sites......havent ever met other interesting solos on any of my cruises either.....

Just got back from my first solo cruise on the carnival liberty and had a fabulous time!!! Also booked my second solo aboard the carnival valor next October.

Wahoo! Welcome back Adrianypr!! Glad your first solo cruise was all you expected it to be and you booked your second one already! Can't get much better than that.

My next solo cruise is Nov 10th on Summit to the Southern Caribbean:D

Wahoo!!! Right around the corner!! You just got back from a short solo cruise a few weeks ago Monarch of the seas too, didn't you?

My third solo cruise is in 9 days starting on November 8th, I can't wait.

Wahoo!!! Right around the corner!! You just got back from a short solo cruise a few weeks ago Monarch of the seas too, didn't you?

My third solo cruise is in 9 days starting on November 8th, I can't wait.

Hi,:) nope, you must have me mixed up with someone else. I have

never sailed on Monarch of the Seas and my last cruise was in May

on Equinox for 10 nights to the Med:)

• 2 weeks later...