Viking ‘Romantic Danube’ Budapest to Nuremberg

texkan

My daughter and I will on this cruise nov. 23, 2014. I am researching now...I love planning. If you have any questions I'd be glad to help. And when we get back I would love to tell you about it.

My daughter and I will on this cruise nov. 23, 2014. I am researching now...I love planning. If you have any questions I'd be glad to help. And when we get back I would love to tell you about it.

Thank you so very much for a reply. Are you cruising from Budapest and if so, are you adding days onto the start of your trip?

We did this cruise last year and had a great time. We loved Budapest. We were glad that we took the Viking extension for a couple of extra days there. We found it to be a very "walkable" city with lots of interesting things to see and do.

Vienna is a challenge since there's so much there to do and so little time. Two of our fellow cruisers were big opera buffs and ordered opera tickets several months in advance so that they could cap off their day there with a big event.

FuelScience

texkan -

Just FYI, I returned from that cruise last week and posted some here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2085666

Marazul: Thank you for the link. Your info is very helpful to all. I am in the early stages of planning. Will probably have one other couple with us and maybe 2 couples.

Again thank you to all that are posting your info :)

We did this cruise last year and had a great time. We loved Budapest. We were glad that we took the Viking extension for a couple of extra days there. We found it to be a very "walkable" city with lots of interesting things to see and do.

Vienna is a challenge since there's so much there to do and so little time. Two of our fellow cruisers were big opera buffs and ordered opera tickets several months in advance so that they could cap off their day there with a big event.

FuelScience

Fuel Science: Thank You. Where did you stay in Budapest ?

Thank you so very much for a reply. Are you cruising from Budapest and if so, are you adding days onto the start of your trip?

I am leaving from Budapest and we are adding the 3 night prague extension post cruise. The reason I chose this is for the Christmas markets in Germany to be opening. Also my daughter is in school, she will miss about 4 days.

I am leaving from Budapest and we are adding the 3 night prague extension post cruise. The reason I chose this is for the Christmas markets in Germany to be opening. Also my daughter is in school, she will miss about 4 days.

Great info on the Christmas markets.

We just returned from a Danube cruise. We did Budapest on our own for three days before the cruise. We stayed at the K&K Opera Hotel. We had stayed there 5 years ago and decided to use it again. The location is great for either the subway or the HOHO bus which we used. We bought a 48-hour ticket which included a HOHO boat tour as well. The hotel breakfast was fabulous and huge, with a great staff. Just around the corner, next to the Opera, is a wonderful restaurant named Callas. We ate there all three evenings.

I will be happy to answer any of your questions about the ports, but we did not cruise with Viking.

Great info on the Christmas markets.

We are leaving Budapest on November 23, the markets will be opening during the week. So we should be able to see vienna, nuremburg, prague. That is why I added the 3 nights at the end of the trip. This is not considered a Christmas market cruise, but my daughter is out of school for thanksgiving. I like to spend Christmas at home with the family, so this is perfect for us. I am 45 and my daughter is 16. My hubby and son are not interested in this trip.

Hi Carol, would love to hear about your trip and cruise on your return. Have a GREAT time :)

I will try to post something from the trip and also when I get back. Leaving in a week. We are staying 3 nights in Budapest before the trip and 3 nights in Prague after the trip on our own. We also arranged private transportation from Nuremberg to Prague. Please email me and I will be happy to share the details.

I will try to post something from the trip and also when I get back. Leaving in a week. We are staying 3 nights in Budapest before the trip and 3 nights in Prague after the trip on our own. We also arranged private transportation from Nuremberg to Prague. Please email me and I will be happy to share the details.

Look forward to your future posts :)

Hi Texkan,

We returned from the reverse trip (Nuremburg to Budapest) on the Viking Hlin a couple of weeks ago.

My comments are posted at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2081331

We are supposed to go on the Hlin August 27, Budapest to Prague. I wrote to Viking and found out we may not be on the Hlin. The boats are in different positions apparently, so we may be on the Njord. They boats are identical but the Njord was built in 2012 and the Hlin is practically new. I was hoping to go on one of the newest boats and thought about that when I booked. I'll let everyone know when I hear from Viking for sure if the boats are being switched.