USB on TV for playing movies on Majestic Princess.

pattib4me

ffbb7a27135f931327d766ef7d97b0cb.jpg

58f5314c96493b271562f8c42f722f68.jpg

On the majestic now. You can plug it in on the side but there is no way to change the input as the remote is basic. I felt around for buttons on tv, nothing.

Sent from my iPhone

It appears as though they're setup the same as the Regal and Royal. The connection at the bottom looks to be their HDMI connection. If you remove their cable, you can substitute your HDMI cable and there's not need to try & change the TV's input. Of course you'll have to go through this swap each time you want to view your movies.

Are there kettles (hot water) in the rooms? I ask because once the Sapphire relocated to Asia, they put hot water kettles in each room. They were so handy for making tea, hot chocolate, and instant coffee.

Thanks for any info, have a lovely cruise.

Amelia

• 1 month later...

I'm on board the ship now-- the HDMI port is definitely there.

Unfortunately, the manual control button on TV itself has been completely disabled-- the only thing that does anything is the remote. Therefore, it's impossible to change the input.

It's a Samsung TV. On other boards, folks say that if you bring a Samsung remote from home, you may be able to change the input via your home Samsung remote. I don't have one on me so I'm in no position to try. Hope this helps someone!

With the new movie program Princess has I wonder why you'd want to bring movies from home? Unless you mean movies you make each day on your cruise. Princess has new release movies now and heaps of selections across all categories, more than most long distance flights! We watched all the top movies from the Oscars (LaLa Land, Moonlighting, Lion, etc) within weeks of the award ceremony!

Unfortunately, the manual control button on TV itself has been completely disabled-- the only thing that does anything is the remote. Therefore, it's impossible to change the input.

It's a Samsung TV. On other boards, folks say that if you bring a Samsung remote from home, you may be able to change the input via your home Samsung remote. I don't have one on me so I'm in no position to try. Hope this helps someone!

The only option is to unplug their cable & utilize their HDMI input for your device.

With the new movie program Princess has I wonder why you'd want to bring movies from home? Unless you mean movies you make each day on your cruise. Princess has new release movies now and heaps of selections across all categories, more than most long distance flights! We watched all the top movies from the Oscars (LaLa Land, Moonlighting, Lion, etc) within weeks of the award ceremony!

I bring many movies that Princess would never think of showing due to content. Their versions also don't include subtitles which can make it better for viewing early mornings what I have to keep the volume down.

I do agree that they do have a large selection for everyone.

Many phones (particularly samsung phones) have IR emitters and can use a TV Remote app, and

function as a tv remote.

On Royal, the TV firmware is fixed, so the only thing you can adjust is volume.

If you wish other content, your only choice is to unplug the princess hdmi cable, and plug in your own.

Here's another question related to the TV on the Majastic Princess. Is there enough space behind the TV to utilize the other electrical socket & is it a standard socket?

Thanks!

Tom😀

I haven't been on the Majestic but if similar to the Regal or Royal there's no way to use the AC outlet. The TV is so tightly mounted to the wall it's a job just to get you hand behind the TV even slightly.

I haven't been on the Majestic but if similar to the Regal or Royal there's no way to use the AC outlet. The TV is so tightly mounted to the wall it's a job just to get you hand behind the TV even slightly.

Thanks for your reply!

Tom😀

How about a universal remote?

Bob

How about a universal remote?

Bob

My experiece on Royal was that the tv was locked in firmware, and the only thing

a remote could do was change the volume.

This was with a samsung tv. There is another brand of tv on royal as well

Maybe vizio?

My experiece on Royal was that the tv was locked in firmware, and the only thing

a remote could do was change the volume.

This was with a samsung tv. There is another brand of tv on royal as well

Maybe vizio?

There may be other brands in the PAX rooms but I know for sure they have Viewsonic Model VT4236LED and Samsung. The Viewsonic HDMI input is much easier to disconnect & reuse for your input cable.

There may be other brands in the PAX rooms but I know for sure they have Viewsonic Model VT4236LED and Samsung. The Viewsonic HDMI input is much easier to disconnect & reuse for your input cable.

That's it! Viewsonic and Samsung are the two brands I know of on Royal.

You can change input only with another remote. I used to bring my phone that has infrared blaster, and use my phone to flip inputs.

Last time I was on Royal, while movie selection was good, the video quality was horrendous. I disconnected their VOD box and plugged my laptop into same HDMI port. Worked really well. It is a gigantic PITA on Royal, however, because TV is very close to the wall, and grabbing HDMI cable was pretty difficult. I may bring a Miracast dongle next time.

If you are so intent on using USB to play movies, may I suggest something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008NO9RRM/

It supports a ton of video formats, and will play whatever is on USB through HDMI port.

Edit: Keep in mind, videos come in eleventy gazillion different codecs. Just because you dump a file on your USB drive, does not mean TV will be able to read it. Most TVs will be able to read few standard codecs out of the box, but will fail on most. So unless you convert all your media into something common, like mpeg2, good chance that TV will puke up some weird error and quit. This is why those little $40 boxes are useful. They are built with tons of codecs already in them and will play just about anything you throw at it.

Edited by Meanee

You can change input only with another remote. I used to bring my phone that has infrared blaster, and use my phone to flip inputs.

Last time I was on Royal, while movie selection was good, the video quality was horrendous. I disconnected their VOD box and plugged my laptop into same HDMI port. Worked really well. It is a gigantic PITA on Royal, however, because TV is very close to the wall, and grabbing HDMI cable was pretty difficult. I may bring a Miracast dongle next time.

If you are so intent on using USB to play movies, may I suggest something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008NO9RRM/

It supports a ton of video formats, and will play whatever is on USB through HDMI port.

Edit: Keep in mind, videos come in eleventy gazillion different codecs. Just because you dump a file on your USB drive, does not mean TV will be able to read it. Most TVs will be able to read few standard codecs out of the box, but will fail on most. So unless you convert all your media into something common, like mpeg2, good chance that TV will puke up some weird error and quit. This is why those little $40 boxes are useful. They are built with tons of codecs already in them and will play just about anything you throw at it.

Did you succeed in changing the HDMI input? I didn't for some reason.:confused:

I have a WD-TV unit which is similar to the Micca. I bought it about 5 years ago when the price was around the same as the Micca now. I originally purchased a Sony unit but the Sony doesn't play all types of files so I returned it.

Did you succeed in changing the HDMI input? I didn't for some reason.:confused:

I have a WD-TV unit which is similar to the Micca. I bought it about 5 years ago when the price was around the same as the Micca now. I originally purchased a Sony unit but the Sony doesn't play all types of files so I returned it.

I didn't try, to be honest. Used my phone as a convenience, when I was too lazy to reach for remote. I did use original HDMI port for my playback.

WD-TV 2nd gen is a great unit, since it can play a ton more formats. 1st gen, for example, cannot play MKV files, which is what my media center automatically downloads.