Can you walk to Port of Miami

MikeNKim

Sorry I did try a quick search but I am at work...shhhhh can have to get to work:D and couldnt' find it.

If we stayed at the Holiday Inn Port of Miami on Biscayne Blvd could we walk to the port? We are on Liberty.

Thank you

Kim

While there have been some older posts claiming to have walked to/from POM, I wouldn't - opposite the cruise ships is an industrial cargo area, and the place is crawling with speeding trucks, cabs and busses. :eek: Spend the $10 (+tip ;)) for the cab and get a relaxing start to your cruise. Good luck! :)

Once I planned to walk it, then didn't, and took note of the walk as we drove across. I was QUITE glad I didnt' try. It IS possible, as there is a walkway on the bridge, but if you're on the Liberty you have more than a carry-on bag to navigate on a narrow walkway. Although the intercontinental might be closer, it's not so much that it's walkable, STILL have to go over big bridge.

Take the taxi. (The holiday inn does not have a shuttle).

my ship moored at POM on occasion and we would hire a van to pick up the crew at Bayside and bring them to the ship (and {} ) just so they didn't walk that bridge . . .

Edited by Capt_BJ

As jillmom2 posted above, I can verify that the Intercontinental is farther away from the POM than the Holiday Inn. However, that being said, it is definitely not a walk to the ship that you would want to or should take. A cab from the Intercontinental cost $9.50 plus tip. It makes no sense for anyone who spends a few hundred(s) (or thousands) to go on a cruise and expect to either get a (1) free shuttle from a downtown Miami hotel to the POM, or (2) to plan on walking from their hotel to the POM. Save your walking steps for the cruise ship (i.e. take the stairs instead of the elevators to wherever you need to go on the ship). :rolleyes:

Sorry I did try a quick search but I am at work...shhhhh can have to get to work:D and couldnt' find it.

If we stayed at the Holiday Inn Port of Miami on Biscayne Blvd could we walk to the port? We are on Liberty.

Thank you

Kim

You can walk from St. Louis to California. Many people did exactly that - before there were cars and before there were trains that went that far west. So an 8/10 mile walk or 1.3 mile walk would be nothing.

The question is, would you want to do it? :confused: I've stayed at the Intercontinental hotel twice, and took a cab to the port each time.

Do you really want to walk 8/10 of a mile with luggage just to save a few bucks? If you want the exercise, don't use any of the ship's elevators.

Edited by Cuizer2

Not sure why the need for the sarcasim.

Where did I say I wanted to save a few bucks. To me from the map it looked extremely close and was curious on if it was possible. More I was thinking along the lines of going over very early in the morning and watching the ships come in. I have completed many marathons and numberous half marathons...a 8/10 of a mile isn't a worry was just wondering more along the lines of safely walking over...traffic etc. However I guess I am in the wrong here since I was trying to post quickly I did not get all the required info into my question.

Where did I say I wanted to save a few bucks. To me from the map it looked extremely close and was curious on if it was possible. More I was thinking along the lines of going over very early in the morning and watching the ships come in. I have completed many marathons and numberous half marathons...a 8/10 of a mile isn't a worry was just wondering more along the lines of safely walking over...traffic etc. However I guess I am in the wrong here since I was trying to post quickly I did not get all the required info into my question.

I was not being sarcastic. In my opinion is simply is not worth saving a few bucks to walk to the port dragging your luggage. Can you walk it, of course you can. People have walked a lot further with a lot more stuff. If that is what you want to do, then do it.

Kim, we were at the POM a month ago. We thought about walking from downtown to the port since it looked close on the map, and glad we did not. As others have said, it is longer than it looks and we were white knuckled just driving in the shuttle. Taxis, vans, trucks, all jockeying for position, and nobody wants to lose their spot in line. I thought for sure we were going to hit something or someone. We did see a few people walking in, but I would not recommend it. I think there were 5 ships in port and it was a madhouse.

Ships come in about 6am so you'd have to be there very early. I don't even know if you are allowed to enter that early. Another thought is watching from your hotel room. I stayed at the Marriott Biscayne Bay and I could see the ships from the window in the room.

I'm really sorry if you took my answer as being sarcastic, I didn't mean to post it in that manner. :( I really just wanted to note that "walking to the Port of Miami" should NOT be an item of consideration. Since you state that you have run marathons, you are no doubt physically capable of doing it, however, once you see the road and traffic that travels the causeway, you will get a better picture of why we suggest you not do it. In any event, please do enjoy your cruise. Happy sailings to you!!;)

Walking from downtown to the Port of Miami is indeed possible and I have done it several times. You will also see many crew members doing exactly the same thing everyday. There is a crosswalk at the American Airlines Center that will lead to the overpass that goes to the ships. Although sometimes loud due to traffic, it is an easy walk for any healthy person and there is no reason not to walk.

I'm really sorry if you took my answer as being sarcastic, I didn't mean to post it in that manner. :( I really just wanted to note that "walking to the Port of Miami" should NOT be an item of consideration. Since you state that you have run marathons, you are no doubt physically capable of doing it, however, once you see the road and traffic that travels the causeway, you will get a better picture of why we suggest you not do it. In any event, please do enjoy your cruise. Happy sailings to you!!;)

No, no not at all sorry it wasn't your response I was responding too:eek: yours and most of the responses I received where very helpful. Thank you to all the new responders as well we can hope our hotel room has a view;)

Thanks again to you all

The Intercontiental is the closest.quote]

Holiday Inn port of Miami is .8 miles and Intercontinental is 1.3 miles from the port of miami according to map quest

jillmom2, I feel so stupid as I miss read the op's question. I thought the OP was talking about the Marketplace across the street from his/her hotel. Must of been reading to many post that day. Gee:rolleyes: I need a cruise. Ha, 17 days and will be on the Pearl!!!:D