Plastic Surgery In Port Of Call

Freckles83

I don't think this topic has been broached here before, not that I've seen anyways.

Has anyone ever themselves or heard of someone getting off in a port of call and having plastic surgery there and then returning to the ship before it leaves? Kind of a random question but I know that in Costa Rica for example plastic surgery has become a big industry there. The prices are a lot cheaper for these surgeries in south america and there are some great doctors working down there too. Just wondering if anyone has done something like that and then recovered afterwards on the ship while on vacation? Im sure some surgeries wouldn't really be possible, but maybe some botox/fillers.. even a breast augmentation might be pulled off early in the morning and then back to the port while the anaesthetic is wearing off?

So far I have never heard of anyone doing this.

JMO -- but I don't care how good the doctors may be, but I would never think of having it done in a foreign country.

If something goes wrong -- you are stuck in that port until you are well enough to travel.

And if you did get back to the ship and something happened -- the ship's doctors can't help you.

Too risky.

How are you going to pay for this?

I would think that it's very dangerous and irresponsible thing to do. A ship is not the best place to recover from recent surgery due to the small amount of space and enormous amount of people.

Plus possible side effects can't be countered while you are at sea. What if you start having a fever meaning you have a possible infection? You can't just leave the ship. My MIL will be having breast augmentation soon because she lost her breast to cancer and they are saying no travel for at least 6 weeks after the surgery so they can keep her monitored.

The only holiday + surgery that is done a lot here in Holland is LASIK and other eye laser treatments in Turkey. This is because there are brilliant surgeons there, but you stay at a resort and are advised to stay inside for the first days. People stay insured here in Holland.

Edited by cruise_bunnies

I don't think this topic has been broached here before, not that I've seen anyways.

Has anyone ever themselves or heard of someone getting off in a port of call and having plastic surgery there and then returning to the ship before it leaves? Kind of a random question but I know that in Costa Rica for example plastic surgery has become a big industry there. The prices are a lot cheaper for these surgeries in south america and there are some great doctors working down there too. Just wondering if anyone has done something like that and then recovered afterwards on the ship while on vacation? Im sure some surgeries wouldn't really be possible, but maybe some botox/fillers.. even a breast augmentation might be pulled off early in the morning and then back to the port while the anaesthetic is wearing off?

I've never heard of or known anyone who did this, but I would ask: What would a person do in the event of any complications? They'd already be back on the ship and sailing to the next port, and the doctor would still be back in Costa Rica (or wherever). And even if there were no complications, I'm pretty sure that plastic surgery involves at least one follow-up appointment with the surgeon. And in the case of botox and fillers, wouldn't it make more sense just to have that type of thing done closer to home? Would the price differential be that significant by doing so?

Edited: Looks like we were all posting pretty much the same thoughts at the same time!

Edited by elycelynne

That has to be the most ill conceived idea I have ever read about on CC.

Speaking from personal experience I had a facelift about five years ago and suffered a serious bleeding complication in the middle of the night. I was rushed to hospital and had emergency surgery at 3AM.

If I had been irresponsible enough to have done something like you suggest, who would have done the surgery? It would have put me in grave danger as well as endangering the helicopter crew that would have been needed to evacuate me. As well, it would have possibly caused paying passengers to be late to their next port of call.

I would be very surprised if you got any positive responses here.

Edited by sapper1

While you all say you have never heard of anyone doing this, may I add that most people who have had plastic surgery do not usually talk about it-except to those near and dear to them, and sometimes not even to them.

Terri

Good point but I still think it a bad idea for the reasons mentioned above among others.

A friend of mine had plastic surgery done in a foreign country. Any money he saved on the surgery was eaten up by the eight additional weeks he spent in that country -- he had to house himself, feed himself, pay for additional doctor visits, and home care-type nursing. He got an infection from the surgery, which ended up nearly killing him. He was too ill to return home. Not something I'd want to experience on a ship in the middle of the ocean :eek:

A friend of mine had plastic surgery done in a foreign country. Any money he saved on the surgery was eaten up by the eight additional weeks he spent in that country -- he had to house himself, feed himself, pay for additional doctor visits, and home care-type nursing. He got an infection from the surgery, which ended up nearly killing him. He was too ill to return home. Not something I'd want to experience on a ship in the middle of the ocean :eek:

Oh my...that's awful.

I think the OP's idea is absurd...who would ever want to take a chance like that on a day in port?

Have your plastic surgery at home...then go on a cruise to enjoy.

Edited by innlady1

Absolutely insane JMO!

Three gf's from where I retired from went down to South America to have some "procedures" performed. All seem to go well. When they returned they ended up with infections etc. Consequently the $$$ they had saved by getting it done there was all lost, and then some, as when they went to surgeons here, they were charged them $$$$$ to correct what had gone so horribly wrong.

Edited by CruiseWhere

My MIL will be having breast augmentation soon because she lost her breast to cancer and they are saying no travel for at least 6 weeks after the surgery so they can keep her monitored.

Just a bit of education. If your MIL had her entire breast removed in a mastectomy, she will not be having breast augmentation. Breast reconstruction is entirely different, more complex procedures. It can be tissue expanders and implants or reconstruction using tissue from another part of her body.

Absolutely insane JMO!

Three gf's from where I retired from went down to South America to have some "procedures" performed. All seem to go well. When they returned they ended up with infections etc. Consequently the $$$ they had saved by getting it done there was all lost, and then some, as when they went to surgeons here, they were charged them $$$$$ to correct what had gone so horribly wrong.

Whoa...... that's awful. All three of them got infections? Not a very good recommendation for medical travel. It seems to be a new concept that people go to India for heart surgeries and people travel all over to save money for elective procedures. Not me!!

Certainly, plenty of countries have excellent medical care but I'll stay close to home for any care I need.

I feel so sorry for your friend.

What a horrible experience.

Absolutely insane JMO!

I am so sorry for your 3 friends.

I wonder what their own surgeons would have charged initially if they had had their procedures done at home?

I am so sorry for your 3 friends.

I wonder what their own surgeons would have charged initially if they had had their procedures done at home?

They figured it out that they were saving roughly $1000-4000. I should mention that all three of them had different procedures....tummy tuck & liposuction, facelift and breast augmentation.

Absolutely insane JMO!

I hate to sound harsh but if they were that dumb that they had elective surgeries performed overseas, they deserved what happened to them. I find it very difficult if not impossible to feel sorry for them.

With regard to the OP, I can only assume that it was posted as a joke. Thge OP can not possibly be serious.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

I hate to sound harsh but if they were that dumb that they had elective surgeries performed overseas, they deserved what happened to them. I find it very difficult if not impossible to feel sorry for them.

With regard to the OP, I can only assume that it was posted as a joke. Thge OP can not possibly be serious.

DON

It's amazing how some people just want to save a buck:rolleyes:

Edited by CruiseWhere

While not cosmetic I have know of quite a few crew members that have dental work done in Costa Rica when in Port. The one I know was thrilled with the veneers and the dentist that did his cosmetic dental work. He thought the dentist did an amazing job for about 20% of what it would cost in Canada or US. I actually saw the end result and was extremely impressed. I was told that the dentist did quite a few crew members from the ship.

As for actual Plastic Surgery I kind of doubt it but there are simple short procedures done so it would actually depend on what is asking to be done. I would not want to do anything where I went under the knife. But then again I have my doubts I would ever do any kind of plastic surgery either.

It's amazing how some people just want to save a buck:rolleyes:

I know there are many people who go across the border to Mexico for weight loss surgery to save many thousands of dollars when their insurance specifically excludes it. I don't see the difference with plastic surgery.

There are many ex-pats in Costa Rica. I would imagine there are good places and bad places to have work done. I would also assume the OP has done homework about this.

I do not think I would be comfortable doing it as a 'shore excursion' but everyone has their own level of trust. Good luck, OP, if that is what you do!

Robin

sorry i think some of you may have misread my original post.

im not planning on having plastic surgery in a port of call. This was just a subject i hadn't seen broached before and was curious if anyone had any stories or experiences about this. I do agree with most of your posts about it being risky and irresponsible. As i said it was just a subject i thought might generate some talk and clearly it did (outraging people as per usual on this board).

That being said just because its a medical procedure in another country doesn't mean that their doctors are any less educated or talented than those in North America :roll eyes: