What to do withy a 18 and 20 year old

crazytomatoes

I am travelling with my husband, parents and two children on an upcoming Alaskan cruise on the Century in July. The "kids", are really not kids at all as they are 20 and 18, the eldest is a boy and the youngest a girl. They are obviously to old for the kids programs and young for anything adult like gambling and drinking. Is there anything that might be of interest to them? We plan to attend evening shows for example but what else is there for them to do on board especially on sea day? They are excited about dinning and exploring when we are at port. Would champagne high tea be a special experience for the ladies? What about the boys? This is the kids first cruise. Both my parents and my husband have cruised before but on our own and we were not concentrating on family activities at the time! Any help would be appreciated!

Not knocking Celebrity, BUT, not the best choice for young adults. You would have actually found more for them to do on Carnival, NCL or Royal. But with that said, the pools are still open, they do have games (trivia etc), nightclub for nights, board games should be available in the game room, ping pong, shuffle board. All of these are available on just about every cruise ship.

Alaska is port intensive, early rising with fairly long days in port. in port the shore excursions should keep them occupied all day. I took my daughter once (she was 21 though) and she had a great time.

Let them know that most of the show performers are younger and often times will meet up with the younger passengers for fun without alcohol! Just hanging around in group talking about what 20 somethings like.

Celebrity's naturalists are usually pretty good - I would definitely suggest that.

Not sure if spa packages are of interest for your daughter? I think "tea" should be experienced at least once to say that one has done it. There is usually a very good gym if they work out.

I was in Alaska in my early 30's several times and I spent a lot of time outside watching the scenery go by. It amazes me every time I go there.

I think you will be surprised with how quickly the sea days fill up with out trying. Hopefully there will be other individuals their age that they can meet up with also.

It has been many years since we cruised with kids and they were at the same age your kids are. Our daughter was the 20yr old and she loved watching the scenery go by and spending time with us. Our son was 17 and he found other boys around his age to hang with - and usually hung around the buffet :D

When we go camping at home we entertained ourselves with nature walks and family games - so we took a couple of our favorite games with us - found a table in the buffet area and sat around and played games - one of our games was Rummy Tiles - we were amazed at how many crew members had played something similar - or were just curious.

As others have said, between the long port times, great scenery, and wildlife there will be lots to keep them occupied.

We took our children at these ages.

What you will find is they will run into other children their ages and they will do things with them.

I would plan some nice excursions for them that they would find of interest since you will spend a lot of time in port.

Keith

We went a couple of years ago when my kids were 12, 15 and 18. There was a meet and greet the first night for the 18 - 20 group. Although only a few showed up, they made friends and hung out together all week. They enjoyed the freedom of being "adults" and being able to do things like use the adult pools and hang out in the adult disco at night. They found plenty to do. One of the girls competed in Princess Pop Star, my son competed in Peer Factor, they even joined us to make a team for trivia one day. They enjoyed some of the shows, especially the comedian.

We are hoping to take them again this year for my 2nd son's graduation. They will be 15, 18 and 21. The 18 year old is begging to take his best friend, and I know they will have a wonderful time and find plenty to do.

I don't attend a single show, and miss plenty of meals on Alaska cruises. For me, the highlight is what is outside the ship. :) Especially a first cruise- it may be of interest to enjoy the outside scenery. A ship naturalist is a great suggestion- to attend the talks, as pointers can be gotten for "peak" sightseeing areas to consider.

At that age, frankly, you won't have to "find" something for them to "do". A 7 day cruise is short and goes by quickly. Especially in Alaska the ports - IF you get out of the shopping areas, and do touring of interest- it is definitely worthwhile. I would also suggest, you NOT "group" tour. Everyone is old enough to go on their tour of choice.