Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Ok, so we land in FLL @ 2pm the day before (Dec 29, 2012). Would love to stay on the beach, since the kids have never seen the ocean/beach. However the husbands are afraid of paying an arm and a leg...:rolleyes:

Are we better off, staying in town and cabbing it to the beach for a few hours? Can we even use the beach at that time of year?:eek:

Our only "must" is that we need a room with 2 queen beds, the rest of our party are a very tall family.

Any hotel ideas/comments would be greatly appreciated....

TIA!!!:D

You can see the beach but the water will be cold and it might be too chilly to sunbathe. Some reasonably priced hotels in that area are Bahia Cabana (Doubletree), Best Western Oceanside, and Alhambra Beach Resort. If you stay on 17th St you easily take the bus or trolley to the beach. If you stay at Sleep Inn in Dania, it is very inexpensive and only about a mile walk or ride to the beach.

I tried to search the thread for this answer, but there are SO many pages, so please tell me where you go to watch ships sail out of the port in Port Everglades. I've looked on MapQuest at the area, but don't know what is public. Can someone give me a good area and address to watch the Oasis sailaway in Oct. 13th?

I tried to search the thread for this answer, but there are SO many pages, so please tell me where you go to watch ships sail out of the port in Port Everglades. I've looked on MapQuest at the area, but don't know what is public. Can someone give me a good area and address to watch the Oasis sailaway in Oct. 13th?

Go to this web-page to watch the sail-away:'

http://portevergladeswebcam.com/

Fort Lauderdale beach is public. If you don't want to walk across someone's private property to get to the beach, you could walk out to the beach at Lago Mar hotel and then walk down the beach toward the port to where the big rocks are at the mouth of the port. I'm not sure where else there is open access. You could also stand on the 17th St bridge and watch from there from a distance, but ships aren't going to sail by.

Hi All:

I have checked several pages of this thread for an answer to my question, but its a long thread!

I need a hotel one-night pre-cruise for next March. We have a family of six. We could split into two rooms, but would prefer to get a suite or something similar. Would like something near the cruise port and within walking distance to a convenience store if possible. We want something nice. Any suggestions?

THANKS so much!

We are booked at Hyatt Pier 66 and I see VERY MIXED reviews on TripAdvisor. Can anyone give a recent update of the condition?

I stayed at the Hyatt Pier 66 on April 6, 2012. I acquired this room through Hotwire. I was given a west-side groundfloor lanai room. It was very clean and quite comfortable. It is a lovely resort-type property. Would I stay there again? Absolutely!

Some friends also stayed at the Pier 66 that same evening and, in chatting together about the negative comments we each had read on this board about the Pier 66, we wondered what all the negative fuss was about. We found nothing to complain about.:)

For FLL area hotels, check:

http://www.sunny.org/visitors/cruiseandplay/hotels/

You can fit 6 into a room at the Embassy Suites - 2 queens + sleeper sofa. Shopping and dining options within walking distance, close to the port, nice pool area and free happy hour! :D

THANKS.. I checked the website and it looks like on weekends you can't do a single night stay at the Embassy Suites? Am I missing something?

Edited by Julylady
Correction

I stayed at the Hyatt Pier 66 on April 6, 2012. I acquired this room through Hotwire. I was given a west-side groundfloor lanai room. It was very clean and quite comfortable. It is a lovely resort-type property. Would I stay there again? Absolutely!

Some friends also stayed at the Pier 66 that same evening and, in chatting together about the negative comments we each had read on this board about the Pier 66, we wondered what all the negative fuss was about. We found nothing to complain about.:)

Great thanks .... TripAdvisor is so subjective, you never know. Thanks for your first hand experience!

Edited by mstelly

Hi All:

I have checked several pages of this thread for an answer to my question, but its a long thread!

I need a hotel one-night pre-cruise for next March. We have a family of six. We could split into two rooms, but would prefer to get a suite or something similar. Would like something near the cruise port and within walking distance to a convenience store if possible. We want something nice. Any suggestions?

THANKS so much!

Hyatt House is a block from KMart and has 2 br suites. They'll pick you up from the airport and give you breakfast too. Marriott Beach Place has 2 br suites and has a CVS in the lower level shops.

Hi All:

THANKS so much!

For the Hyatt Place North, check out Value Trips http://www.valuetrips.com for priceing, It is a booking agent, you make a reservation and a day later you get a confirmation, can cancel and pay at the hotel.

The hotel has king, 2 double beds (make sure your request what type of room you want) and a sofabed, free breakfast, shuttle from airport, pay for shuttle to port or take a taxi, small shopping plaza behind the hotel.

The Embassy Suites had no rooms available for my March 2013 dates (I even called them) and a few days later it showed up on Priceline and Hotwire (where the hotels are named and priced). The Embassy Suites have a hot and cold breakfast and a Manager's Cocktail hour (they give you 2 tickets per adult).

Edited by phabric

THANKS.. I checked the website and it looks like on weekends you can't do a single night stay at the Embassy Suites? Am I missing something?

We are staying there in June for one night pre-cruise. Staying on a Friday night, which is a weekend.

Hello. We will be cruising out of Port Everglades. We are looking for a hotel that has: free shuttle from airport and to the port (or shuttle to the port for $5 or less per person). free breakfast. Clean, under $150 a night.

Do you know of any? Also needs to be within walking distance to stores and restaurants.

Thank you

Edited by Denali2003

Hello. We will be cruising out of Port Everglades. We are looking for a hotel that has: free shuttle from airport and to the port (or shuttle to the port for $5 or less per person). free breakfast. Clean, under $150 a night.

Do you know of any? Also needs to be within walking distance to stores and restaurants.

Thank you

www.sunny.org has tons of info on most hotels in the FLL area. When do you cruise? :confused: Prices vary wildly with the tourist season - the hotel that is under $100 in August could be over $250 on President's day weekend. :eek:

Good luck! :)

Thank you

Sleep Inn Dania Fl should be under $150. Has both air and cruise port shuttles, restaurant across street, as well as a Publix supermarket. In addition there is a Walgreens next door.

Looking for a 2 night hotel post cruise June 2 and 3 that: has no charge for parking or surprise resort fees, sleeps 6, is near or on beach or something fun to do. We don't need any shuttles because of car rental. We are coming off of Liberty from POM Sat and flying from Fort Lauderdale Mon evening.We can stay anywhere in that general area. Free breakfast would be nice or inexpensive food nearby, or micro and fridge. Oh and under $150 per night. Any ideas? Thanks

Looking for a 2 night hotel post cruise June 2 and 3 that: has no charge for parking or surprise resort fees, sleeps 6, is near or on beach or something fun to do. We don't need any shuttles because of car rental. We are coming off of Liberty from POM Sat and flying from Fort Lauderdale Mon evening.We can stay anywhere in that general area. Free breakfast would be nice or inexpensive food nearby, or micro and fridge. Oh and under $150 per night. Any ideas? Thanks

Homewood Suites would work and is in this price range in June. It's not at the beach but not far by car. I don't think you're going to find something that sleeps 6 and has free parking/breakfast near the beach near your price.