What does the cruise line do if a hurricane is predicted for the port of embarkation?

jennaja

Hi All,

We're looking forward to our Canada/New England cruise next week on the Regal Princess. I just saw a news article stating that a hurricane may be headed up the eastern seaboard next week.

What does the cruise line do if a hurricane is predicted for the port of embarkation, or other scheduled ports? Do they cancel the cruise? If so, how much advance notice do they give the passengers?

We leave from the West Coast on Wednesday. Although we're really looking forward to the trip, I don't want to go if we have to deal with hurricane conditions. We have the Princess Platinum trip insurance, but as I understand it, we would not get a refund if we cancel, only if Princess cancels. Is that right?

Princess won't cancel the cruise other than unusual circumstances. Ships are moveable and can sail out of the way of a storm. They can also change itineraries. It all depends on the timing of the storm and predicted track. Often, the exact track isn't known until pretty late so there's little the cruise line can do other than to have alternate plans in place. You may or may not have any advance notice.

This is hurricane season. Anything can happen.

With Princess Platinum insurance, you can cancel for any reason. If you decide not to go, it's not a covered r a son and you'll get a refund from the insurance for the amount of the cruise, less the cost of insurance, as credit towards a future cruise.

First and foremost Princess (or any cruise line) gets their ship out of the way of a hurricane even if it is a cruise to nowhere. The decision will be made in plenty of time to move the ship out of the way so it depends on the latest reported location, where it is headed and the physical size of the storm. Cruise ships are only in port less than one day or in other words they arrive in the morning and leave in the afternoon/evening. If the port is under eminent hurricane threat as MIA and FLL were, the ships scheduled to arrive at that time will take refuge somewhere else until the threat has cleared and the port is useable again. Looking at the NOAA hurricane website, right now Jose is out in the Atlantic far off the Carolinas and seems to be looping around itself. I assume you are embarking in NYC so the threat is non-existent at this time. The Regal Princess is due to be in NYC on 9/23 - 10 days away. Jose should be a memory by that time.

Princess did not have any ships sailing from Florida last week when Hurricane Irma hit. The cruise lines that did changed itineraries. Some cruises were extended to avoid going back to Miami or Port Everglades during the hurricane. Some cruises were canceled. Others were shortened. Passengers were offered refunds if they did not want to go on the shortened cruises.

Here's an article on what Norwegian did for passengers on two of its ships: https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2017/09/08/stranded-cruisers-escape-florida-ship-called-escape/646445001/

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

I'm mostly concerned about having to fly into NYC if there was some likelihood of a hurricane there. If NYC was under threat of a hurricane, would Princess move the embarkation port elsewhere, cancel the cruise, or postpone it? Just wondering if we would have enough notice from the cruise line to avoid even boarding the flight to NYC, or if we would get there only to find out the cruise had been cancelled.

Just look at what the cruise lines did this past weekend at cruise turn around ports in MIA & FLL and Galvaston 2 weeks ago .

Shortened cruises , came in early

Diverted to another port

Extended cruises

Basically kept ships out to sea . No sense coming in to a port experiencing a hurricane as airports are closed and ships can be damaged .

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

I'm mostly concerned about having to fly into NYC if there was some likelihood of a hurricane there. If NYC was under threat of a hurricane, would Princess move the embarkation port elsewhere, cancel the cruise, or postpone it? Just wondering if we would have enough notice from the cruise line to avoid even boarding the flight to NYC, or if we would get there only to find out the cruise had been cancelled.

It is really hard to give a specific answer in advance. They could take any of the actions. It will depend on the strength of the storm when it reaches NYC. It will depend on the timing. If the worst is in the middle you your cruise, then they will probably go ahead with embarkation and debarkation. There could be itinerary changes. Unless you can give specific answers about when, where and how strong for the storm. No one can say what Princess will do.

Actually the answer is pretty simple. The number one priority is the health and safety of the ships, passengers and crew. Ships are maneuvered out of harms way...and then the "suits" start picking up the pieces and trying to find the best options. Since options do change depending on the circumstances there is no way to predict, in advance, how everything will be handled.

Hank

We were on the Star when Wilma formed. Our cruise was scheduled to return as Wilma was approaching Fl from the west. Ship came it early we were rushed off and new cruisers rushed on and ship left at 2PM instead of 5PM. We had one of the last flights out before they closed the airport that evening.

It's a fluid situation that you need to take it stride, it part of the adventure of cruising.

framer

I saw on another thread that the Regal Princess is scheduled to arrive back to NY one day early, to avoid rough seas. I wonder where that leaves those of us scheduled to sail on Saturday?

I called Princess to ask, and they said there are currently no planned changes to the sailing date, time or itinerary. However, that can change as we get closer to Saturday.

We fly to NY tonight. Hope we don't get there to find out that the cruise is cancelled.

I saw on another thread that the Regal Princess is scheduled to arrive back to NY one day early, to avoid rough seas. I wonder where that leaves those of us scheduled to sail on Saturday?

I called Princess to ask, and they said there are currently no planned changes to the sailing date, time or itinerary. However, that can change as we get closer to Saturday.

We fly to NY tonight. Hope we don't get there to find out that the cruise is cancelled.

Wishing you smooth travels. Please keep us posted!

We leave from the West Coast on Wednesday. Although we're really looking forward to the trip, I don't want to go if we have to deal with hurricane conditions. We have the Princess Platinum trip insurance, but as I understand it, we would not get a refund if we cancel, only if Princess cancels. Is that right?

I was in this exact situation 10-12 years ago. Princess took way too long to make a decision, which

caused a lot of needless problems. They basically made no decision until the (embarcation) port

closed. Then, the decision was made for them.

In your case, they will probably decide to cancel right after you start flying to the east coast.

You can cancel with Platinum Insurance. Concern about the storm would not be a covered

reason, so you would receive a credit towards a future cruise, in the amount of your cruise fare.

If Princess cancels, you would receive a refund.

Cruised on a B2B during hurricane Sandy. The first segment was to be 4 days NY to Bermuda and back to NY. We sailed out of NY to Boston. In Boston had 70 mile an hour winds. Three tug boats were pushing the ship against the dock during the storm. The rain was horizontal and the ship was still. Stayed in Boston 4 days waiting for NY port to open. Our 10 day NY, Caribbean, to Ft. Lauderdale was cut by 2 days. Missed 2 ports. Princess gave us future cruise credit for 1/2 cruse fare paid. I was an experience.