Catholic Mass

zorrosuncle

Hi --

What are the odds of having Catholic Mass on an MSC ship? Daily Mass? Thinking of switching cruise lines.

ZU

MSC is owned by an Italian family. You are even less likely to get any religious ceremonies on most/all of the rest of the lines due to them being major corporations. At best you could use the chapel on board when it is not being used for something else.

FWIW, The Crystal Serenity cruise I was on had daily masses; Cunard may also have offered them (I remember a Sunday mass, but not sure about a daily mass). Otherwise, I have not noticed any ships offering Catholic masses on a daily basis on any cruise line I have been on (and I've been on most of them).

There are websites where you can check out daily mass times worldwide. That may be an option for port days.

For MSC to offer daily masses they would need to have a team of chaplains for their fleet which is a large cost and there would be logistical issues given the shortage of priests worldwide and the fact that most Catholics don't bother with daily mass - especially on holiday.

There are websites where you can check out daily mass times worldwide. That may be an option for port days.

For MSC to offer daily masses they would need to have a team of chaplains for their fleet which is a large cost and there would be logistical issues given the shortage of priests worldwide and the fact that most Catholics don't bother with daily mass - especially on holiday.

Add to that if you offer services for Catholics, where do you stop? What about other domination sand religious services? I think looking for services in port is the way to go.

We enjoy going to mass in port. With a little advance research, we've even found mass in English in Barcelona, Lisbon, and Helsinki (not a large Catholic population in Finland!), among other places. But it's also fascinating to attend mass in the local language...you can't turn a corner in Venice without finding another church!

Have a wonderful cruise!

I maybe wrong, but I believe Cruise lines cut Priest, Minister's and Rabbi's special pricing if they will do Services on board. On my HAL cruise in the Mediterrean in October there was Daily Mass by a Priest.

And on a previous Celebrity Cruise with a large Jewish contingent stopping in Curacao where the first Synagogue in the America's was built, services were held daily. I took the Jewish Heritage Tour with them. Very interesting and enjoyable.

What I am saying here, you never know, until you get on board what religious services you will find.

Maybe if it was an IRISH ship ?

I know MSC does an Irish theme cruise (chartered out) every year ...

but just imagine an Irish ship?

LOL>>> super casual dress....futzy furnishings - put some doilys on the armchairs, tons of knicknacks, green and more green......lots and lots of pubs....hope u like tatties

and more pubs <grin>...large brigs for those who have a wee bit too much and wanna fight it out

a confession booth and Mass for afterwards....what happens here on the Good Ship Paddy stays here :)

(yeah I am Irish American haha)

Maybe if it was an IRISH ship ?

I know MSC does an Irish theme cruise (chartered out) every year ...

but just imagine an Irish ship?

LOL>>> super casual dress....futzy furnishings - put some doilys on the armchairs, tons of knicknacks, green and more green......lots and lots of pubs....hope u like tatties

and more pubs <grin>...large brigs for those who have a wee bit too much and wanna fight it out

a confession booth and Mass for afterwards....what happens here on the Good Ship Paddy stays here :)

(yeah I am Irish American haha)

I don't think you've ever been to Ireland though :D

I don't think you've ever been to Ireland though :D

Nope <grin> would love to go

My "idea" of Irish decor comes from growing up in a mostly Irish neighborhood in Pittsburgh and being in my "Irish" homes - including my Grandparents

My dear late Dad had 2 long term gal pals , both from Ireland, (*after my American born Mom died) and both of them had the same "futzy" taste haha - lace tablecloths, tons of knicknacks, cupboards full of "good" china, tea pots and junk haha

It is possible that Dublin is sleek and modern now? I would bet some of the places on the west coast still have some futzy stuff...and of course lots of pubs

Just about every American I have have spoken with who visited there loved it , loved the people.. very friendly they say !

Nope <grin> would love to go

My "idea" of Irish decor comes from growing up in a mostly Irish neighborhood in Pittsburgh and being in my "Irish" homes - including my Grandparents

My dear late Dad had 2 long term gal pals , both from Ireland, (*after my American born Mom died) and both of them had the same "futzy" taste haha - lace tablecloths, tons of knicknacks, cupboards full of "good" china, tea pots and junk haha

It is possible that Dublin is sleek and modern now? I would bet some of the places on the west coast still have some futzy stuff...and of course lots of pubs

Just about every American I have have spoken with who visited there loved it , loved the people.. very friendly they say !

Dublin is sleek, modern and diverse they days but is also a lively fun place. Lots of pubs and coffee shops and the Irish still love the " craic". Love going there, just a 50 minute hop on the plane. I did smile at your description of an Irish ship. You see the trouble is there is no one more Irish than the Irish overseas and you can say the say me of Scots. They get nostalgic for the way things used to be and tend to exaggerate/ put more emphasis on some of those traditions than those still in the old countries ever do.

• 3 months later...