Steaks: Rare, Medium or Burned?

TravelSmarty

For me...it varies. For Filet, rare with a warm red center. For the fattier cuts, I think a little extra cooking helps melt some of the fat, so for Ribeye, I prefer medium rare.

I also love Carpaccio and tartare as well.

I like my steaks pittsburgh style. Extremely well done. Basically, a cow that has been cremated.

I thought Pittsburgh style was charred on the outside and rare inside. Thats how I like it. Ribeye is my new fav.

Edited by !David!

#In my teens I would only eat steak well done, but I had a friend who was a chef and offered to make me a steak at his home one night.

I asked him for it well done and he refused. He said "I will make it for you as it should be done, and if you don't like it I will throw it away and start again with another steak and do it exactly how you want".

Which is basically how I came to eat steak "blue".

Rare is now too well done and medium rare is an abomination.

:p

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
When the waiter asks how I like it cooked, I say Black and Blue. If he or the chef don't understand what that is, I just stick with the pasta.;)

It's also known as Pittsburgh rare. I usually order steaks that way here, but I do live only a few hours from Pittsburgh.

Medium rare, as per the general guidelines.

BUT, back in the kitchen, what the cook considers medium rare can be variable.

Often, where I live, I have to order rare to get medium rare. At least I can send it back for a little more heat if I have to.

Gripe: the wait staff bring my steak to me and demanding I cut it open right away to see if it is cooked the way I want it. Do I want all the juice to run out of a steak hot from the grill? No. :eek:

Medium rare, as per the general guidelines.

BUT, back in the kitchen, what the cook considers medium rare can be variable.

Often, where I live, I have to order rare to get medium rare. At least I can send it back for a little more heat if I have to.

Gripe: the wait staff bring my steak to me and demanding I cut it open right away to see if it is cooked the way I want it. Do I want all the juice to run out of a steak hot from the grill? No. :eek:

Yes, we often experience the same thing. I also hate cutting into a steak right away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well if the cook was any good then they let the steak rest before it got to you so there is no harm in cutting it open at the table. even if they didn't let it rest it's unlikely that the server picked it up and delivered it to you so quickly that it didn't have a few minutes of resting time.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If the cut is prime? Crusty on the outside (not burned). Rare inside. No sauce. Anything other than salt????? Just bring me a bottle of catsup and a side of fries. Good black and blue with baked potato with butter and sour cream, I am in heaven. :cool: Want to have some fun? Just ask the waiter for a bottle of catsup. Might just get the wrath of the chef. I hope so, because I will show him how to grill a steak. ;)