bigger passenger

closure

Good luck with your upcoming flight!

even though i buy a 2nd seat, i'm always stressed until the gate door is closed. Airlines are notorious about overbooking and i'm always afraid that they're going to insist i give up my 2nd seat. Or there's some computer glitch and they think i accidentally have 2 seats and book someone else in my 2nd seat. I know that's just paranoia, but i really, really hate flying lol.

Hello again Miss Rabbit,

Just a note I've found about the second seat thing that you may not know. When I check in at the gate I make sure the attendant is aware of the second seat (yes it's possible they don't!!) also if there is a different attendant actually checking people in at the gate I notify them as well. Reason is that the second person is actually doing "head counts" to advise if there is available seats to sell. If they don't know about your second seat and count 2 for you, there can be trouble. Ever since I have stuck to this rule I have never had an issue. Learned the hard way the first time!!!!!

I never feel pressure about the the second seat, they way I figuire, does someone really wanted to be squished in beside me anyways??? :)

Looking at booking a river cruise in Europe. The hubby has finally agreed that he may like that type of cruising. Now if I could only convince him to sail across to get there.........;)

TravelScoot.

Please explain the controls.

How do you go forward?

How do you stop?

How do you make a sharp U-turn like the guy in the elevator?

Are both rear wheels power wheels? If yes can you put power to just one of them?

Hi, you may be better to post this question on the Disability board. There a some folk on there who use one of these scooters.

Good Luck.

TravelScoot.

How do you go forward?

How do you stop?

How do you make a sharp U-turn like the guy in the elevator?

Are both rear wheels power wheels? If yes can you put power to just one of them?

Oooops, sorry. Ignore previous post. I meant either post the question on one of the previous threads about travel scoots, or start a new thread on the Disability board if you need to. You may not get a response as your question is on the 'bigger passenger' thread.

Sorry if I confused you - wasn't concentrating!

TravelScoot.

How do you go forward? Throttle on the right handlebar. FYI, there is no reverse gear.

How do you stop? Release throttle, use hand brakes (like a bicycle), put feet down.

How do you make a sharp U-turn like the guy in the elevator? Practice. Easier turning right than left.

Are both rear wheels power wheels? If yes can you put power to just one of them? Only left rear wheel is powered.

Hope this helps. :)

FYI higgib, there are plenty of bigger passengers who use the TravelScoot. ;)

I posted on the carnival board too, but was directed here. My fiance is a bigger guy, 400lbs+. He has no physical limitations other than his sleep apnea machine if that even counts. I was just wondering what problems we might encounter on a cruise.

I'm not as big as your fiance but I am 300+, and working on getting under 300 lbs. Wife and I are sailing on Oasis of the Seas in Feb. Oasis cabins are smaller than most. After reading here and looking at all the photos and videos I could find I have upgraded us to a Junior suite. Mainly for the larger bathroom but also for the cabin and balcony. You might consider a larger accomodation. He should also probably get his hands on all the dimensions he can find. I'm 6'0" tall and can just barely sit in a coach seat. I'll admit it's probably not pleasant to be sitting next to me as there is inevitably some overspill. I would agree except for some weight limit excursions and difficulty with armchairs he should be fine. I have an 800 lb capacity Travel Chair I take with me when I'm not sure what kind of seating is available where I'm going. It's embarassing to have to pull out your own chair but it beats ending up on the floor. I'm not sure if I'm going to try and take it on the cruise for the balcony or not.

I have an 800 lb capacity Travel Chair I take with me when I'm not sure what kind of seating is available where I'm going. It's embarassing to have to pull out your own chair but it beats ending up on the floor. I'm not sure if I'm going to try and take it on the cruise for the balcony or not.

Just as a follow up, RCCL finally anwered my email with:

"Our lounge chairs have a maximum weight limit of 225 to 250 pounds. If it would make you more comfortable, you are welcome to bring your chair."

Looks like I will be bringing my own chair.

I'm 6'0" tall and can just barely sit in a coach seat. I'll admit it's probably not pleasant to be sitting next to me as there is inevitably some overspill.

I'm not trying to be rude, but I'm curious as to why you don't book two seats when you know that you are going to take part of the seat that the person seated next to you has paid for?

Many carriers will now deplane a passenger of size if the flight is sold out and someone complains that the person next to them is invading their space.

More and more people will not accept another passenger taking up their limited seat space, and it seems that it would be far easier to simply buy the second seat than to run the risk that you'll be deplaned and have to wait for another flight that has additional seats open--and in some cases, be required to purchase (at the going rate) that second seat at the gate.

I think Southwest has an excellent policy. They expect larger passengers to buy a second seat in advance, but if the flight isn't sold out, they'll refund the cost of the second ticket. It seems like a win-win for everyone.

Edited by ducklite

I am a very fluffy person but enjoy swimming and sun bathing. My problem is I can get on a lounge chair but have problems getting up because they are so low to the ground. When my hips are below my things, I have problems. Does anyone know of a portable device I could use to help get myself up. I have though of canes but not sure they would work or hold my weight.

Any suggestions?

I am a very fluffy person but enjoy swimming and sun bathing. My problem is I can get on a lounge chair but have problems getting up because they are so low to the ground. When my hips are below my things, I have problems. Does anyone know of a portable device I could use to help get myself up. I have though of canes but not sure they would work or hold my weight.

Any suggestions?

Being a fluffy person I never use the lounge chairs as always uncertain as to the weight load capacity and do not want to place myself in an embarrassing situation since most cruise lines uses plastic deck chairs & loungers. Since everyone's definition of being fluffy is different would politely recommend that you check with the cruise line you'll be traveling on to find out what the weight capacity of their lounge chairs are before you spend any money on an assistance aid to help you get up out of the chair.

If you're traveling on RCCL suggest you go back and read Post #482 of this thread that states that RCCL's lounge chairs only have 225-250 pound capacity.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Any suggestions?

A carbon fiber heavy duty cane is light and should hold your weight.

Mine works great and they custom cut it to the length that I need.

The web site where I order mine had normal & HD-X long.

I'm not trying to be rude, but I'm curious as to why you don't book two seats when you know that you are going to take part of the seat that the person seated next to you has paid for?

Of course you're trying to be rude. Popular culture has decreed that overweight people are the last group it is okay to discriminate against. I fit in the seat and don't need a seat belt extender. The airline sets the policy and I meet the criteria for that policy. I have, and have always had, a big chest. My chest and upper arms fill the seat back completely. As a general rule I avoid flying altogether but don't really enjoy it very much when I do. Your question is stupid. Why don't you pay twice as much for your seat as you have to?

I was flying to Florida once and was seated next to a very large woman. She fit in the seat with the arm down but her leg and arm squshed under and over the arm onto about 1/3 of my seat. I'm not small(150lbs) but not huge either. I had to sit sideways with my hip crushed against the arm(I had an aisle seat). Very uncomfortable and I ended up with a bruise on my hip. There were no other seats to move to so I stood in the back of the plane whenever the no seat belt sign was on. I wasn't rude and I didn't complain but the flight attendant did apoligize when she noticed that I had to stand for most of the flight. In this case I don't think it was fair to me but I know if I had said something I would have been discriminating against the woman next to me. Just saying sometimes it is just common courtesy for someone who takes up a lot of your seat to offer to stand for a little while so the other person can sit comfortably.

Of course you're trying to be rude. Popular culture has decreed that overweight people are the last group it is okay to discriminate against. I fit in the seat and don't need a seat belt extender. The airline sets the policy and I meet the criteria for that policy. I have, and have always had, a big chest. My chest and upper arms fill the seat back completely. As a general rule I avoid flying altogether but don't really enjoy it very much when I do. Your question is stupid. Why don't you pay twice as much for your seat as you have to?

I was NOT trying to be rude, as I stated, I was curious. You are the one that stated you spill over into the neighboring seat and that it makes the experience unpleasant for the person next to you. I didn't pull those statements out of thin air, that's exactly what you said, so I had a valid question. You KNOW that you don't fit into a seat without spilling into your neighbors seat, yet you expect them to just deal with it, and you have the freaking nerve to call me rude, stupid, and infer that I'm a liar? I hardly think I'm the rude one here.

Edited by ducklite

I was flying to Florida once and was seated next to a very large woman. She fit in the seat with the arm down but her leg and arm squshed under and over the arm onto about 1/3 of my seat. I'm not small(150lbs) but not huge either. I had to sit sideways with my hip crushed against the arm(I had an aisle seat). Very uncomfortable and I ended up with a bruise on my hip. There were no other seats to move to so I stood in the back of the plane whenever the no seat belt sign was on. I wasn't rude and I didn't complain but the flight attendant did apoligize when she noticed that I had to stand for most of the flight. In this case I don't think it was fair to me but I know if I had said something I would have been discriminating against the woman next to me. Just saying sometimes it is just common courtesy for someone who takes up a lot of your seat to offer to stand for a little while so the other person can sit comfortably.

You should have said something before take off. You paid for that seat and had the right to the full use of it--not to mention that you were put in an unsafe position by having to stand through most of the flight and ending up injured because you didn't have full use of your seat. It should not be your problem that a passenger of size didn't purchase a second seat for themselves, even if they are removed from a full flight as a result. Speaking up would not have been discriminatory. Discriminatory would have been if the passenger of size had bought two seats but you didn't want to sit next to them just because they were large. Huge difference.

Edited by ducklite

I was NOT trying to be rude, as I stated, I was curious. You are the one that stated you spill over into the neighboring seat and that it makes the experience unpleasant for the person next to you. I didn't pull those statements out of thin air, that's exactly what you said, so I had a valid question. You KNOW that you don't fit into a seat without spilling into your neighbors seat, yet you expect them to just deal with it, and you have the freaking nerve to call me rude, stupid, and infer that I'm a liar? I hardly think I'm the rude one here.

Reading comprehension issues too I see. We're done.

Reading comprehension issues too I see. We're done.

You wrote:

I'll admit it's probably not pleasant to be sitting next to me as there is inevitably some overspill.

No reading comprehension problem at all.

A dear friend of mine is a senior flight attendant with US Air. She has told me that a passenger who is sitting next to a large person who is spilling into your seat has the right to request the large passenger to be moved.

I have flown where the passenger next to me is spilling over to my seat. I have tolerated it. However, now that I know that I do not have to tolerate it, I won't. Unless you happen to be someone that I am traveling with!

I truly feel that most larger passenger's understand that it is to the best interest and comfort of themselves to just pay for 2 seats.

Actually wscott I thought it was a valid question. I am not huge (I do not spill over in the seats nor need a seat belt extender) but I am a large person and I purchase first class ALWAYS, I get more leg room a better and bigger seat and I never have to worry about bugging other passengers.

So yes I thought it was a valid question

Actually wscott I thought it was a valid question. I am not huge (I do not spill over in the seats nor need a seat belt extender) but I am a large person and I purchase first class ALWAYS, I get more leg room a better and bigger seat and I never have to worry about bugging other passengers.

So yes I thought it was a valid question

Your opinion. As long as the airlines will sell me a single seat I will fly in it. I try to be accomodating but sometimes it's going to be a slight imposition on the person next to me. My feeling is maybe the airlines should quit shrinking coach seats?

Your opinion. As long as the airlines will sell me a single seat I will fly in it. I try to be accomodating but sometimes it's going to be a slight imposition on the person next to me. My feeling is maybe the airlines should quit shrinking coach seats?

So basically, as long as you are technically not breaking any rules, you don't care if you directly cause the person next to you have an uncomfortable flight? I mean, hey, as long as YOU only had to pay for one seat, THEY can just suck it up and feel crowded and squished? If they don't like the flesh of a stranger pressed up against them, well that is just their problem? So I guess you won't mind then if a stranger at the next table in a restaurant reaches over and helps themselves to what is on your plate if they are still hungry? Oh no wait, that would be taking something that does not belong to them. Sort of like intentionally taking part of the person next to you's seat. While I agree that airlines have made the seats unrealistically small, it is hardly your right to knowingly impinge on someone else's 'property' that they paid to use. Selfish and self centered in my opinion.

How are you trying to be accommodating? Why do you think that you have the right to impose yourself into your neighbors seating space? Did you pay for part of their seat? Your beef with airline seat sizes is not the care or concern of the passenger next to you.

When you book a ticket, the airlines don't know how large you are, and they rely on customers to have the common sense to buy a first class or two seats if they can't fit into a single coach seat without spilling over into their neighbors seat.

If you know that you are going to take up part of another persons space you should book another seat. I had a large person take up a quarter of my space on a 6 hr flight... it was miserable for me. I won't accept it again, afterall, I paid for that seat. It is in no way rude to expect to have your seat to yourself.

When I was speaking to the flight attendant on my flight where I only had 2/3 of my seat, she told me that as long as a person can lower the arm on the seat they don't have to purchase 2 seats. I probably could have complained before we took off but as there were no empty seats I was afraid they would have made me take a different flight as the woman sitting next to me was already in her seat. I really didn't want to do that and I would have felt bad trying to make the airlines kick off the passenger next to me.