Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

Terry,

It's a great system ..... if it moves it gets photographed and uploaded.

It's extremely reassuring when we are on our travels as we one app gives us live feeds from all cameras and PB tells us for each property what has been happening over the last 24 hours. Only key cameras trigger an ftp upload but all can be seen online and all record full video and archives to a NAS cloud system up to around 2 years before it deletes .....

eg

85699b07b57b28ead4d7c1db87dc7290.jpg

0b045ec4598ff9b6ace5db46497922bc.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ok, I just googled salad cream.

Now I know the history and it was quite an interesting diversion to read about it.

Now I am going to google fairy cakes and pigeons milk. Perhaps we shall request it for tea on Silversea?

Spins.....the 'pigeons' milk is Carnation evaporated condensed tin stuff....I think the pigeon term may have been my grandparents take on it!!

Fairy cakes are just small individual basic sponge cakes which can be served up in various ways.....maybe a predecessor to the cup cake?

Good to see Mysty home safe and in one piece!

Good television viewing beckons this eve with the sons of Diana documentary speaking out on the 20th Anniversary of her passing.

😊

Just make your first try egg sandwiches ie hard boiled eggs through the slicer both ways and mashed up with a little salt and the salad cream and some cress added if you can. Perhaps a layer of very thin cucumber.

https://www.amazon.com/Heinz-Dressing-Original-14-9-Ounce-Squeeze/dp/B001EQ5ACC/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_bs_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=G4KF14GVZJS5VQW3JX8G&th=1

And wonderful with waxy potatos as a potato salad.

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Thanks Jeff, I love cole slaw (hence salad cream need ) but don't like eggs. I was forced to eat them as a child and have refused to do so ever since. I know this is weird, but I only eat them in cakes, or otherwise disguised. I'm letting on a best kept secret!!

Terry, It's a great system ..... if it moves it gets photographed and uploaded. It's extremely reassuring when we are on our travels as we one app gives us live feeds from all cameras and PB tells us for each property what has been happening over the last 24 hours. Only key cameras trigger an ftp upload but all can be seen online and all record full video and archives to a NAS cloud system up to around 2 years before it deletes.

Appreciate this great added background and details about this technology from Jeff. Fascinating!! Might be a nice item to have, especially when we are traveling. Very interesting picture examples.

THANKS for sharing! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Super loved so different many parts of the Caribbean in 2015!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at the link of "Barbados: Our Pix's, Experiences!":

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2262999

Thanks Terry.

Coolers, why does nature keep all the best stuff for itself?

I have always wanted to see the Northern Lights at least once before I pop my cloggs. In an ideal world Whisper or Shadow would wend its way up to the Northenmost part of Norway for a couple of weeks between November and February and park up for a week or so and every night we'd either be drunk or observing the Northern Lights - or even better - BOTH. A two week party parked up sounds wonderful.

P&O go up there but it sounds so dire. I think they even charge you to do a poo. Those boats sound seedy. And the Hurtigruten people go up there ... but it just doesn't sound right. A lot of clanking and smells. Or you can fly up there and spend all day looking at your toes getting frostbite and going bankrupt on booze and sandwich prices and boredom. Hug a Huskey isnt a whole day tour.

Why doesn't SB or SS .. or even dare I say SD ... do something and capture this market or is it simply because their boats have to be elsewhere? Or is it that there isn't a market and it's just me and wifey who wants to do it?

Thanks Terry.

I have always wanted to see the Northern Lights at least once before I pop my cloggs. In an ideal world Whisper or Shadow would wend its way up to the Northenmost part of Norway for a couple of weeks between November and February and park up for a week or so and every night we'd either be drunk or observing the Northern Lights - or even better - BOTH. A two week party parked up sounds wonderful.

P&O go up there but it sounds so dire. I think they even charge you to do a poo. Those boats sound seedy. And the Hurtigruten people go up there ... but it just doesn't sound right. A lot of clanking and smells. Or you can fly up there and spend all day looking at your toes getting frostbite and going bankrupt on booze and sandwich prices and boredom. Hug a Huskey isnt a whole day tour.

Why doesn't SB or SS .. or even dare I say SD ... do something and capture this market or is it simply because their boats have to be elsewhere? Or is it that there isn't a market and it's just me and wifey who wants to do it?

Viking Ocean Cruises have just announced their Northern Lights sailings in Jan -March 2019 London to Bergen. Check the sailing out.

Edited by Azulann

Hi All...

Jeff that would be a terrific voyage to the northern lights.....l did a basic Norway cruise some years ago on the QV....like Spins l just couldn't adjust to the daylight at night....really odd!

Enjoyed a local charity coffee morning earlier......my next door neighbour lost a young grandchild a few years ago and the family still raise funds in her memory so well worth supporting and a great way to meet other villagers.....just relieved they didn't ask me to bake a cake!!

Happy Day 😊

Thanks Terry.

Me too, me too, me too.

A long time lurker on this thread ,jumping on to agree wholeheartedly. I want to see the Northern Lights but in comfort. Hurtigruten doesn't appeal, and I would be on the Whisper or the Shadow in an instant if they did a Feb/ March Norway or Iceland trip.

Maybe we should start a petition?

Rp

Me too, me too, me too.

A long time lurker on this thread ,jumping on to agree wholeheartedly. I want to see the Northern Lights but in comfort. Hurtigruten doesn't appeal, and I would be on the Whisper or the Shadow in an instant if they did a Feb/ March Norway or Iceland trip.

Maybe we should start a petition?

Rp

I've had a look at the Viking offering and I guess I just start sliding down the pole on it. For a start it is either Tilbury to Bergen or Bergen to Tilbury and it is easier for us to get to Bergen in a way than it is to Tilbury. Also it seems far too big with nearly a thousand passengers. I like the Shadow / Whisper size.

I am beginning to feel that there is no satisfying us.

I've had a look at the Viking offering and I guess I just start sliding down the pole on it. For a start it is either Tilbury to Bergen or Bergen to Tilbury and it is easier for us to get to Bergen in a way than it is to Tilbury. Also it seems far too big with nearly a thousand passengers. I like the Shadow / Whisper size.

I am beginning to feel that there is no satisfying us.

We could always charter one of them...

Rp

Thanks C,

I must have registered with them some time ago as I get stuff from them regularly. It was my impression that they inflate cruise prices to generate the headline discounts. My recollection is hazy but I think I googled them and read some unflattering reviews and I think it made me cautious.

Appreciate the thought.

Bizarrely the Viking cruiser they use has a restaurant called "Manfredi's ". :confused:

I was looking at flights and places to stay in Tromso, but it really doesn't inspire.

I believe the CEO of Viking... Torstein Hagen....is a close friend of Manfredi's....hence Tors Observation lounge on The Muse.

😊

There has been talk or scuttlebutt that the reason the viking ship has a place called manfredis is because Viking may purchase silversea...

Interesting report and/or speculation!!?? Any added info, news stories, tangibles, etc., related to this potential? Clearly Viking is growing and seeking to expand more. BUT, I have heard mixed reports as to how Viking operates, wants payments made so much in advance, etc. Viking has smooth, slick marketing ads. Anything additional from Spins or others?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 183,736 views for this posting.