Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Hi All, it has been a long time since I have posted.

My hearing ear dog and I have had 14 cruises and enjoyed every second. He is a wonder and I don't think I could cope without him.

I have a serious question and would totally appreciate your help. Our service school retains "ownership" of the service dog for the duration of the working life of the dog. The dog can then be retired into the home of the handler(me), be adopted by a friend etc. I can understand that because it gives the school the right to check up on the team and ensure all is well.

Here is the major problem.....if you want your hearing dog to retire into your home, you are not allowed to have a new working dog.....apparently, there are not to be any other dogs in the house, if thee is a working dog.

Could you please let me know if your school has the same policy. I would appreciate it greatly.

Hi All, it has been a long time since I have posted.

My hearing ear dog and I have had 14 cruises and enjoyed every second. He is a wonder and I don't think I could cope without him.

I have a serious question and would totally appreciate your help. Our service school retains "ownership" of the service dog for the duration of the working life of the dog. The dog can then be retired into the home of the handler(me), be adopted by a friend etc. I can understand that because it gives the school the right to check up on the team and ensure all is well.

Here is the major problem.....if you want your hearing dog to retire into your home, you are not allowed to have a new working dog.....apparently, there are not to be any other dogs in the house, if thee is a working dog.

Could you please let me know if your school has the same policy. I would appreciate it greatly.

Roz would know more, but she has a retired hearing dog and a new one. I do know CCI retains ownership of the dogs, but not after they retire.

Cindy

I know that moment too .... I sometimes think it's just as well we don't know what's ahead of us. We would all be sitting bawling in a corner!

On a happier note we were out shopping this morning and we stood and watched a young pup out for what looked like her first walk in the town. She was trying hard to concentrate but it was all just soooooo interesting, and the different smells and some lovely folk who knew her "Mum" saying hello, it was just sooooo much fun .... It made us smile as it took us back to puppy days. She was good though, she was being taught to sit at the kerb and wait for her command to walk on, well she did manage it and was suitably rewarded. :D

Such a joy to watch a puppy with so much promise!

CCI dogs belong to CCI as long as they are working. When they retire you sign a contract stating that your dog is retired and no longer has public access and you are allowed to bring in a Successor Dog [after going through the necessary application, testing and graduation], to live with you and your retired Service Dog. During the application process for a Successor Dog the necessary questions as to how you plan to manage both dogs is brought up many times.

Because CCI dogs are so well trained in behavior and in getting along with each other it's been a wonderful transition and bonding for both Brenda and Horton. I feel very blessed to have both of them in my life and, although it can be complicated for me, at times, since the loss of Morey, I am finding a comfort zone for both the dogs and myself.

The way in which we maneuver around each other each day and night has become a beautiful dance. They have great respect for each other and allow for each one's habits, likes and dislikes.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

CCI dogs belong to CCI as long as they are working. When they retire you sign a contract stating that your dog is retired and no longer has public access and you are allowed to bring in a Successor Dog [after going through the necessary application, testing and graduation], to live with you and your retired Service Dog. During the application process for a Successor Dog the necessary questions as to how you plan to manage both dogs is brought up many times.

Because CCI dogs are so well trained in behavior and in getting along with each other it's been a wonderful transition and bonding for both Brenda and Horton. I feel very blessed to have both of them in my life and, although it can be complicated for me, at times, since the loss of Morey, I am finding a comfort zone for both the dogs and myself.

The way in which we maneuver around each other each day and night has become a beautiful dance. They have great respect for each other and allow for each one's habits, likes and dislikes.

r

You are so blessed to have both dogs with you........our school does not allow that. If you keep a newly retired hearing dog, you cannot have a new hearing dog....heavy sigh...

r

You are so blessed to have both dogs with you........our school does not allow that. If you keep a newly retired hearing dog, you cannot have a new hearing dog....heavy sigh...

That's too bad that your school of training doesn't allow you to keep your retired and Successor Dog together.

At first, Brenda and Horton would both work for me. I would acknowledge only Horton as Morey would distract Brenda. Only Horton would go to work with me and eventually Brenda realized that she no longer had to work and could "relax" and watch Horton complete his tasks. I must admit that it was easier with Morey's help but I think it can be done with just one person too!!!

There was some "cross-over" work being done by both dogs in the beginning but it didn't take long for them to realize their roles.

I have to be consistent and reward Horton for a job well done to keep his task work sharp at home [brenda sometimes distracts him], at work it's really easy.

That's too bad that your school of training doesn't allow you to keep your retired and Successor Dog together.

At first, Brenda and Horton would both work for me. I would acknowledge only Horton as Morey would distract Brenda. Only Horton would go to work with me and eventually Brenda realized that she no longer had to work and could "relax" and watch Horton complete his tasks. I must admit that it was easier with Morey's help but I think it can be done with just one person too!!!

There was some "cross-over" work being done by both dogs in the beginning but it didn't take long for them to realize their roles.

I have to be consistent and reward Horton for a job well done to keep his task work sharp at home [brenda sometimes distracts him], at work it's really easy.

Thanks so much Roz for the information. It is very appreciated. Do take good care.

First I will say what Carnival did correctly. Our cabin steward brought us a life jacket for Ollie.

The potty box was not set up when we got on board but after two calls to housekeeping the box was placed on our balcony. It all happened pretty quickly, especially since we told them the dog was "doing the dance" and it was going to turn into an emergency. (We had left the house at 7:30. It took 2 hours to get to the terminal in New Orleans -which should have been 20 minutes- followed by a 2+ hour bus ride to Mobile.)

The rep from Guest Services came to collect the paperwork. We never saw her again so we assumed everything was OK. She had never done dog paperwork before.

Key West was cancelled which was a major disappointment.

Freeport was fine. We got off the ship and on the shuttle to our dolphin experience. Ollie was with my FIL while we did the encounter then we tag teamed so he could have his turn. We missed out some Freeport time since our arrival was delayed because of leaving from Mobile and not New Orleans. (So at this point we lost a full day from leaving a day late, several hours from not arriving in Mobile until close to 2, and lost 2.5 hours in Freeport because our tour began at 12 instead of 9:30 like it was supposed to).

Nassau. We get off the ship to go to Atlantis. We attempt to go through the gate and we get stopped. We can not take this bus (the same type we took from Freeport) because "we" did not tell the excursion people that we were taking the dog. "We" needed to arrange for special transportation. Long story short, we trek back to the ship, work our way up the chain of command, and are told that shore excursions didn't know we were taking the dog with us. We were advised to take a taxi to and from Atlantis. They would reimburse us for the travel. So, we wasted nearly 2 hours by the time we found our family in Atlantis. (Ever been there, it's a huge place!)

We booked this excursion through Carnival. We were advised by our travel agent to notify Atlantis about the dog, which we did. They told us we didn't need to "register" him because we were not staying at the resort. We were never told anything about special transportation.

In your opinion, is it our job to make sure Carnival does its job and makes the necessary arrangements. Shouldn't my husband's ticket been "flagged" or "tagged" with service dog? When we fly, Southwest has his ticket flagged. I don't understand why this was not the case with Carnival. Thoughts?

First I will say what Carnival did correctly. Our cabin steward brought us a life jacket for Ollie.

The potty box was not set up when we got on board but after two calls to housekeeping the box was placed on our balcony. It all happened pretty quickly, especially since we told them the dog was "doing the dance" and it was going to turn into an emergency. (We had left the house at 7:30. It took 2 hours to get to the terminal in New Orleans -which should have been 20 minutes- followed by a 2+ hour bus ride to Mobile.)

The rep from Guest Services came to collect the paperwork. We never saw her again so we assumed everything was OK. She had never done dog paperwork before.

Key West was cancelled which was a major disappointment.

Freeport was fine. We got off the ship and on the shuttle to our dolphin experience. Ollie was with my FIL while we did the encounter then we tag teamed so he could have his turn. We missed out some Freeport time since our arrival was delayed because of leaving from Mobile and not New Orleans. (So at this point we lost a full day from leaving a day late, several hours from not arriving in Mobile until close to 2, and lost 2.5 hours in Freeport because our tour began at 12 instead of 9:30 like it was supposed to).

Nassau. We get off the ship to go to Atlantis. We attempt to go through the gate and we get stopped. We can not take this bus (the same type we took from Freeport) because "we" did not tell the excursion people that we were taking the dog. "We" needed to arrange for special transportation. Long story short, we trek back to the ship, work our way up the chain of command, and are told that shore excursions didn't know we were taking the dog with us. We were advised to take a taxi to and from Atlantis. They would reimburse us for the travel. So, we wasted nearly 2 hours by the time we found our family in Atlantis. (Ever been there, it's a huge place!)

We booked this excursion through Carnival. We were advised by our travel agent to notify Atlantis about the dog, which we did. They told us we didn't need to "register" him because we were not staying at the resort. We were never told anything about special transportation.

In your opinion, is it our job to make sure Carnival does its job and makes the necessary arrangements. Shouldn't my husband's ticket been "flagged" or "tagged" with service dog? When we fly, Southwest has his ticket flagged. I don't understand why this was not the case with Carnival. Thoughts?

It was absolutely Carnival's responsibility to inform the bus/the taxi/the tender/the helicopter/the train and anyone else involved in "their" excursion about your dog coming onboard their transportation. They owed you, when you returned back to ship you should have gone to the excursion desk and demanded a refund.

We had the same problem onboard an excursion in Puerto Vallarta....the bus driver on our excursion made us wait until everyone else had boarded the bus [in 104 degree heat] and, when we finally boarded we couldn't sit together and then the bus broke down and on and on. This too was a Carnival excursion.....long story short Morey made the tour guide call for a taxi and take us back to the ship and, he demanded our money be refunded at the excursion desk.

And, to not have your potty box ready is inexcusable. Again, folks please don't forget to call the "Special Needs" desk of your cruise line and make sure that they contact your ship a few days before you board, to have the potty box ready the moment you enter the ship.

Before I board the ship I take Horton to a nearby rest stop to relieve himself, just in case the potty box has any problems. [it's one of the reasons I love San Pedro....I know exactly where the grass is across the street from the entrance to the terminal.] ;)

Where did you go? I know theres alot of different cruises to Alaska. Was everything accessible??

Cindy,

We were on the Disney Wonder out of Vancouver, BC. We cruised Tracy Arm then stopped in Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan. Disney went out of their way to make sure all the excursion transportation was going to work for us. People complain that Disney Cruise is more expensive than other lines. They are right. But when you look at their service, it's all worth it. Orson's potty box was on our balcony filled with sod just as we requested.

Cindy,

We were on the Disney Wonder out of Vancouver, BC. We cruised Tracy Arm then stopped in Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan. Disney went out of their way to make sure all the excursion transportation was going to work for us. People complain that Disney Cruise is more expensive than other lines. They are right. But when you look at their service, it's all worth it. Orson's potty box was on our balcony filled with sod just as we requested.

Beautiful, and so good to hear. It's on my "bucket-list" to do a Disney cruise. Everyone brags about the service and I can't wait to try it!

How is everyone?

We're baking hot here. Just not used to it! :eek:

Dogs flagging ...... Staying inside in the cool, even the usual enthusiastic ball play is not quite so enthusiastic!

It's in the high 90's here in NJ. But it beats the snow and the cold.

It's 104 here in the valley's of L.A. :cool: I'd head for the beach if it weren't for; the mortgage, the dogs, the air conditioning and gas for my car.....they all demand that I earn the big bucks!!!

We had a practice fire drill at work yesterday.....everyone was standing on the blacktop outside.....Horton and I headed for the cement and the shade!

I don't mind the heat...as long as it's DRY! Desert dry!!!! :p

113 with the heat index here. At least that's what I've read. We've been in all day with the blinds drawn, lights off, and ceiling fans whirring. I've been trying to unpack. So unmotivated to do so...

I sent a long letter to Carnival yesterday outlining our access problems and concerns. I hope that our problem can help someone else avoid a similar problem in the future.