Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I was just contacted by a CCI service dog owner. She is going on RCI next month and had some questions.

First of all she told me that she had to sign a contract that she would not feed her dog from the table. RCI is making her do unnecessary things just to let her on the ship. Her dog has to have, corona virus shot, wormed, microchipped, (and of course I forgot what else).They even told her she had to get permits and fullfill all the requirements from all the islands, even if she does not get off the ship. I think it's ridiculous. Has anyone else heard of this? By law can they make you do these things? We have never been asked to do anything just to get on the ship, just had to have the health certificate.

Well I just called the RCI special needs dept to get some info. Pretty much everything is the same as all the other cruiselines. She did say that they would want but do not require permits for all the islands incase you would have to debark for an emergency on one of the islands. Now the woman (CCI dog owner) I talked to said they would not even let her on the ship if she didn't have all those permits.

I hope she comes in and reads this so she can fight it. She did say she argued about giving another rabies shot and won that battle.

Edited by rangeley

I was just contacted by a CCI service dog owner. She is going on RCI next month and had some questions.

First of all she told me that she had to sign a contract that she would not feed her dog from the table. RCI is making her do unnecessary things just to let her on the ship. Her dog has to have, corona virus shot, wormed, microchipped, (and of course I forgot what else).They even told her she had to get permits from all the islands, even if she does not get off the ship. I think it's ridiculous. Has anyone else heard of this? By law can they make you do these things? We have never been asked to do anything just to get on the ship, just had to have the health certificate.

I had to sign a similar contract with Princess. Their contract states that "the Service Animal must be on a leash or harness while in public areas, may NOT sit on any surface other than the floor, the dog is not allowed in saunas or pools, NOT allowed in any location where food is being served or is available and MUST NOT BE FED IN ANY PUBLIC AREA OF THE SHIP, INCLUDING DINING ROOMS (I agree with this.)

However, if I paid attention to what this darn contract says....my dog would be in the closet, in my cabin and wouldn't serve any purpose to me while I was onboard the ship. Of course he's going into the dining room with me, to the buffet or to the pizza stand.

As far as the "medical requests" that RCI is making we all know that they're being made to discourage those folks who would bring the "fake" Service Dog onboard. And, hopefully they do!!!!

Any ligitimate dog handler knows what is necessary to travel and will simply respond to these requests with the appropriate Vet paperwork, sign the contract with a response as to what the DOJ and your Vet recommends, handwritten on the form [as I did!] After I did this Princess NEVER questioned me further. Nor did the folks at registration or the Purser's desk.

When you are at the pier with your dog, put him in a "down/stay", to show off his behavior and make sure that you use your best doggie ettiquette when your out in public.

CCI dogs know how to behave and if you've graduated from their training program, you too know what to do in all situations. That's why I love the license they give us to use out in the world. As should ALL training Orgs.

I had to sign a similar contract with Princess. Their contract states that "the Service Animal must be on a leash or harness while in public areas, may NOT sit on any surface other than the floor, the dog is not allowed in saunas or pools, NOT allowed in any location where food is being served or is available and MUST NOT BE FED IN ANY PUBLIC AREA OF THE SHIP, INCLUDING DINING ROOMS (I agree with this.)

However, if I paid attention to what this darn contract says....my dog would be in the closet, in my cabin and wouldn't serve any purpose to me while I was onboard the ship. Of course he's going into the dining room with me, to the buffet or to the pizza stand.

As far as the "medical requests" that RCI is making we all know that they're being made to discourage those folks who would bring the "fake" Service Dog onboard. And, hopefully they do!!!!

Any ligitimate dog handler knows what is necessary to travel and will simply respond to these requests with the appropriate Vet paperwork, sign the contract with a response as to what the DOJ and your Vet recommends, handwritten on the form [as I did!] After I did this Princess NEVER questioned me further. Nor did the folks at registration or the Purser's desk.

When you are at the pier with your dog, put him in a "down/stay", to show off his behavior and make sure that you use your best doggie ettiquette when your out in public.

CCI dogs know how to behave and if you've graduated from their training program, you too know what to do in all situations. That's why I love the license they give us to use out in the world. As should ALL training Orgs.

I totally agree with the contract as far as feeding in dinning room, not allowed in pools. However the part about being around where food is served is ridiculous. What I don't agree with is the permits for islands you are not getting off on and giving all those extra shots and meds they don't need. And to tell her that she will not be allowed on the ship if they are not done is just wrong.

I totally agree with the contract as far as feeding in dinning room, not allowed in pools. However the part about being around where food is served is ridiculous. What I don't agree with is the permits for islands you are not getting off on and giving all those extra shots and meds they don't need. And to tell her that she will not be allowed on the ship if they are not done is just wrong.

I agree with you. They're being so over-the-top ridiculous about their demands.

Hello,

I am back from my cruise, had a great time on the cruise and in San JUan. We had two service dogs on our cruise, tiny ones but i think they were the real thing.

ROZ---so glad to hear that you are cruising again. Hugs to you and the fur babies. Pushing yourself to cruise is wonderful---I am sure that Morey is jumping with joy that you are going to do this. I would take Brenda in a minute, if I lived near.

Hi Cindy-----hope all is well with you and the family. Big hugs and kisses to Wex.

Happy cruising to those that are cruising soon.

Welcome to our new members- this is such a great group---with or without a service dog. I don't have a service dog but I love coming on here and hearing about all the great things that happen. And love to hear about the service dogs and what wonderful things they do. I am waiting for CCI to call us ------we applied for a reject dog------and if and when they call we are going to take the dog. We are ready. We did have the wonderful pleasure of taking care of Wex, on one of our cruises, thanks to Cindy and John. I wanted to run away with him---I fell in love.

Glad to hear that Rich is back on the road to recovery. Sending prayers and hugs to both of you. Keep up the good work Rich.

Trudy

Hello,

I am back from my cruise, had a great time on the cruise and in San JUan. We had two service dogs on our cruise, tiny ones but i think they were the real thing.

ROZ---so glad to hear that you are cruising again. Hugs to you and the fur babies. Pushing yourself to cruise is wonderful---I am sure that Morey is jumping with joy that you are going to do this. I would take Brenda in a minute, if I lived near.

Hi Cindy-----hope all is well with you and the family. Big hugs and kisses to Wex.

Welcome to our new members- this is such a great group---with or without a service dog. I don't have a service dog but I love coming on here and hearing about all the great things that happen. And love to hear about the service dogs and what wonderful things they do. I am waiting for CCI to call us ------we applied for a reject dog------and if and when they call we are going to take the dog. We are ready. We did have the wonderful pleasure of taking care of Wex, on one of our cruises, thanks to Cindy and John. I wanted to run away with him---I fell in love.

Glad to hear that Rich is back on the road to recovery. Sending prayers and hugs to both of you. Keep up the good work Rich.

Trudy

Trudy, welcome home! I'm so glad to hear that your cruise went well and that you got to meet some Service Dogs. What these dogs are capable of doing simply amazes me!

Besides Horton becoming a true "protector" in our home now. He's starting to do a pretty amazing task. Whenever I'm going to get up from my chair [at home], he stands in front of me and positions himself in such a way that if I hold on to his back he plants himself "firmly" on the floor, for me to use him as leverage.

He started doing this a few weeks ago and my SIL and I thought he was acting peculiar and we watched as he stayed right in front of me....I placed my hand on his back [not putting too much weight on him] and he wouldn't move until I took my hand away and started walking and then he followed me.....then he did it again and again and again. Now I praise him for doing it and he's taken on a new job of steadying me when I rise from my chair.

Not that I need it now, but it may come in handy, one day! I'll keep rewarding him for doing it. Again, these dogs are true miracles. He may be a character but he's a great working partner!!

Trudy, I hope you get your "released" dog soon. I, too, wish you lived closer. I'm going to interview the groomer this Friday and see if it's a place that Brenny might be happy to stay at for a week. I have lots of time to interview [my next cruise is September] and find just the right place for my darling!

Hello. I just joined. Going to these two ports along with Haiti and San Juan

St Maarten and Bermuda requiring import permits in addition to intl health certificate. Requiring worming extra vaccines microchip and that my vet put frontline on. I am wondering what your experiences have been. I did the chip even though my dog was tattooedalready.

First of all she told me that she had to sign a contract that she would not feed her dog from the table. RCI is making her do unnecessary things just to let her on the ship. Her dog has to have, corona virus shot, wormed, microchipped, (and of course I forgot what else).They even told her she had to get permits and fullfill all the requirements from all the islands, even if she does not get off the ship. I think it's ridiculous. Has anyone else heard of this? By law can they make you do these things? We have never been asked to do anything just to get on the ship, just had to have the health certificate.

Well I just called the RCI special needs dept to get some info. Pretty much everything is the same as all the other cruiselines. She did say that they would want but do not require permits for all the islands incase you would have to debark for an emergency on one of the islands. Now the woman (CCI dog owner) I talked to said they would not even let her on the ship if she didn't have all those permits.

I hope she comes in and reads this so she can fight it. She did say she argued about giving another rabies shot and won that battle.

I did win the battle about extra rabies shot. But I now have done lepto and corona and the microchip. I need to do worming as well even though they also require fecalfloat test. I did not have to do any of this when I went to Canada on celebrity.

Also do you recommend bringing mulch for the ship?

Hello,

Trudy

Welcome back Trudy!! :D Glad you had a great time. Wexler is going to be jealous that you were with 2 other service dogs.

We hope you get a call for your COC (change of career) dog soon. If not, we will send Wex down there for a week. ;)

Trudy, welcome home! I'm so glad to hear that your cruise went well and that you got to meet some Service Dogs. What these dogs are capable of doing simply amazes me!

Besides Horton becoming a true "protector" in our home now. He's starting to do a pretty amazing task. Whenever I'm going to get up from my chair [at home], he stands in front of me and positions himself in such a way that if I hold on to his back he plants himself "firmly" on the floor, for me to use him as leverage.

He started doing this a few weeks ago and my SIL and I thought he was acting peculiar and we watched as he stayed right in front of me....I placed my hand on his back [not putting too much weight on him] and he wouldn't move until I took my hand away and started walking and then he followed me.....then he did it again and again and again. Now I praise him for doing it and he's taken on a new job of steadying me when I rise from my chair.

Not that I need it now, but it may come in handy, one day! I'll keep rewarding him for doing it. Again, these dogs are true miracles. He may be a character but he's a great working partner!!

Trudy, I hope you get your "released" dog soon. I, too, wish you lived closer. I'm going to interview the groomer this Friday and see if it's a place that Brenny might be happy to stay at for a week. I have lots of time to interview [my next cruise is September] and find just the right place for my darling!

Roz, Sounds like Horty is taking over the "man of the house" job. He will protect his girls.

I did win the battle about extra rabies shot. But I now have done lepto and corona and the microchip. I need to do worming as well even though they also require fecalfloat test. I did not have to do any of this when I went to Canada on celebrity.

Welcome Iris! Iris' are my favorite flower. I started to do some research after we talked and then decided just to call RCI. As you read they are asking you to do all these things, but they are not required. When you get back from your cruise, I would write a letter to RCI and explain how they told you they would deny you boarding unless you did these things.

The woman told me they supply mulch but you can request sod. We do not like the mulch and always request sod for Wexler. If you would prefer sod, I would call them now.

Cindy

Iris, welcome to our "peeps".....we're a great group and love the input and feedback we get from each other.

Yes, all CCI dogs have a tattoo in their ear. I like the microchip as well, although I've never microchipped Brenda.....Horty is just the kind of dog that should be microchipped. It gives me peace of mind because of his "big" personality and ability to escape, I have some extra security that in case the ear is ignored, someone will run the wand and find he's chipped.

Have your Vet give you a document that states that your dogs fur is free of ticks/fleas and is free of organisims that require fecal exams or other invasive or noninvasive testing.

Give them a copy of the testing that was done through CCI. Our dogs have gone through every imaginable test a dog goes through before he's given to a new handler. CCI dogs get checked and re-checked before we get to take them home.

Ask their "Special Needs" Dept. what kind of litter they use for the pottybox. It took Princess several times before they got it right. They used to use the paper pellets which Labs hate because of their webbed paws.....it pokes them and Brenda actually refused to step on it until Celebrity or Carnival sent a crew member off the ship to get some "dirt" to cover the stuff and then we were fine. Of course, it took a lot of complaining from me before they did it. I literally planted myself at the Hotel Manager's Desk until they changed the litter.

Princess now has it so right.....I NEVER have to say anything about the litter or the placement of the box! It's why I cruise them more than other lines! It works for me and my dogs.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Welcome Iris! Iris' are my favorite flower. I started to do some research after we talked and then decided just to call RCI. As you read they are asking you to do all these things, but they are not required. When you get back from your cruise, I would write a letter to RCI and explain how they told you they would deny you boarding unless you did these things.

The woman told me they supply mulch but you can request sod. We do not like the mulch and always request sod for Wexler. If you would prefer sod, I would call them now.

Cindy

Thanks "Cindyrella" I knew you'd give Iris all the right answers!

I love Daffodils myself!

Welcome back Trudy!! :D Glad you had a great time. Wexler is going to be jealous that you were with 2 other service dogs.

We hope you get a call for your COC (change of career) dog soon. If not, we will send Wex down there for a week. ;)

Not to be jealous Wex, you are my first love. Kisses, Kisses and Hugs.

Love to have Wex for a week. but you might not get him back. :D

Yes this is all ridiculous. do you guys think that I should not worm him before I go? my vet says it won't hurt him at all or even upset his stomach since he does not have worms.

st maarten seems to be the worst now- even worse than bermuda. and I am not planning on getting off the boat. worried it will be too hot for my black dog.

other than life jacket, cooling coat, boots, mushers secret, poop bags, food, dishes, first aid kit (my vet is giving me some meds to take) what else do I need? Thanks!!!!

Yes this is all ridiculous. do you guys think that I should not worm him before I go? my vet says it won't hurt him at all or even upset his stomach since he does not have worms.

st maarten seems to be the worst now- even worse than bermuda. and I am not planning on getting off the boat. worried it will be too hot for my black dog.

other than life jacket, cooling coat, boots, mushers secret, poop bags, food, dishes, first aid kit (my vet is giving me some meds to take) what else do I need? Thanks!!!!

Welcome Iris from me (non-service dog peep, but I am a "love all dogs girl" so I sneak in from time to time!). Now, I know I said "girl" but no laughing Roz! :p

Iris, phew, your dog will have more luggage than you! I've been reading your posts with interest and I am so glad that the lovely experts on here have been able to help you - they really do know their stuff when it comes to their service dogs and cruising, oh and lots of other stuff as well! :)

Trudy - welcome back, I am delighted you had a lovely time on your cruise, you certainly needed it after the last few weeks. You can't help but fall in love with these beautiful furry babies, so I do hope you get your dream of a "career change" doggy - that would be lovely and what a lovely way to call the dogs who didn't quite make it.

Roz - Horton is SO looking after you, what a star - well done that boy dog! Talking of boy dogs, our big broonser has decided that he can't jump into the back of my dogmobile. The girl dog floats up through the air! So he looks at the boot (trunk) and then at me, half heartedly puts his two front paws up on the bumper, then looks at me as I'm shouting "jump" "come on, jump" "you can do it", and so on and so on thinking I will never manage to lift this big boy up! Well in the end I had to! So here was me struggling to lift big broonser's big bottom without grabbing any indelicate parts (!) and trying to shove him into the car! I think a ramp is the next step, but we will try a couple of makeshift planks first to see if he will go up them before investing in one of those that folds down and you can keep it in the car. I suppose we would have had to get a ramp eventually as they get older.

Have any of you got ramps for your dogs to get into your vehicles? Just wondering how they manage, or maybe it's something they would be already trained to use. Sorry if it's a daft question. :eek:

Ollie's Bahamas import permit arrived yesterday! Hooray! They even returned the $10 money order I included. (I know someone said the fee was not required for service dogs but since I only had a 3 month window before our trip and in the grand scheme of things is was "only $10" I included it anyway to avoid any delays.)

Fairbourne: We had to get a ramp for our beloved Renie Boy. Mostly used it for the motorhome. The first time he went up it, he would not go back down it. Going down the motorhome steps was not an option, they were very steep. So, there he sat, in the motorhome looking out the big huge front window as his crazy mom tried everything in the world to get him out. Including getting his leash and walking down to the front gate, which he loved to do. Getting a treat and putting it at the end of the ramp and so on. Finally hubby said to get something, like a stool so we could raise the fair end of it. Bingo, worked like a charm. It was more like a plank instead of a ramp. Used that for boy the rest of his life. That is one reason we chose to get a small dog this time around. We love our biggin's, but being able to just pick them up and put them where they need to be is nice. Reno weighed 110 lbs of beautiful yellow lab. He did not like anyone trying to lift his rear axle up! Be careful with the ramps. Don't pinch your fingers when folding up and they are not as light as perceived. Just lifting them is not such a problem, but holding them up and unfolding them at the same time can be cumbersome. :)

May I ask where you got your information about St Maarten? I am reading that all you need is health cert. and copy of rabies vac. Bermuda requires an import permit and a microchip thats all I see.

Have any of you got ramps for your dogs to get into your vehicles? Just wondering how they manage, or maybe it's something they would be already trained to use. Sorry if it's a daft question. :eek:

I think Roz has used one for her suv.

Ollie's Bahamas import permit arrived yesterday! Hooray! They even returned the $10 money order I included. (I know someone said the fee was not required for service dogs but since I only had a 3 month window before our trip and in the grand scheme of things is was "only $10" I included it anyway to avoid any delays.)

I'm surprised they sent the $10 back. :eek: Thats great.

No! Simple answer but don't put your dog through anything he doesn't need.

Don't forget doggy treats [if you give them] and toys. If your dog likes tennis balls bring one or two to throw, in an empty lounge, on the days that everyone gets off the ship and you remain behind!

Welcome Iris from me (non-service dog peep, but I am a "love all dogs girl" so I sneak in from time to time!). Now, I know I said "girl" but no laughing Roz! :p

Iris, phew, your dog will have more luggage than you! I've been reading your posts with interest and I am so glad that the lovely experts on here have been able to help you - they really do know their stuff when it comes to their service dogs and cruising, oh and lots of other stuff as well! :)

Trudy - welcome back, I am delighted you had a lovely time on your cruise, you certainly needed it after the last few weeks. You can't help but fall in love with these beautiful furry babies, so I do hope you get your dream of a "career change" doggy - that would be lovely and what a lovely way to call the dogs who didn't quite make it.

Roz - Horton is SO looking after you, what a star - well done that boy dog! Talking of boy dogs, our big broonser has decided that he can't jump into the back of my dogmobile. The girl dog floats up through the air! So he looks at the boot (trunk) and then at me, half heartedly puts his two front paws up on the bumper, then looks at me as I'm shouting "jump" "come on, jump" "you can do it", and so on and so on thinking I will never manage to lift this big boy up! Well in the end I had to! So here was me struggling to lift big broonser's big bottom without grabbing any indelicate parts (!) and trying to shove him into the car! I think a ramp is the next step, but we will try a couple of makeshift planks first to see if he will go up them before investing in one of those that folds down and you can keep it in the car. I suppose we would have had to get a ramp eventually as they get older.

I forgot to mention about the ramp. Yes, my Brenda uses a ramp to get into and out of my Expedition. It has a rough texture on it which makes it easy for her paws to grab and not slip. It's easy for me to maneuver and she's very comfortable using it. I purchased it through Drs. Foster and Smith on the internet.

Fairbourne: We had to get a ramp for our beloved Renie Boy. Mostly used it for the motorhome. The first time he went up it, he would not go back down it. Going down the motorhome steps was not an option, they were very steep. So, there he sat, in the motorhome looking out the big huge front window as his crazy mom tried everything in the world to get him out. Including getting his leash and walking down to the front gate, which he loved to do. Getting a treat and putting it at the end of the ramp and so on. Finally hubby said to get something, like a stool so we could raise the fair end of it. Bingo, worked like a charm. It was more like a plank instead of a ramp. Used that for boy the rest of his life. That is one reason we chose to get a small dog this time around. We love our biggin's, but being able to just pick them up and put them where they need to be is nice. Reno weighed 110 lbs of beautiful yellow lab. He did not like anyone trying to lift his rear axle up! Be careful with the ramps. Don't pinch your fingers when folding up and they are not as light as perceived. Just lifting them is not such a problem, but holding them up and unfolding them at the same time can be cumbersome. :)

The one I have is actually pretty easy to maneuver for me. It slides into itself to extend and has a handle on it to assist in handling. It fits easily into the back of my SUV and Brenda loves it.

It took some coaxing to get her to go up and down but now she's a whiz at it!!!!

Edited by wizard-of-roz