Amtrak station in Vancouver to Canada Place

luckydogs1

We are leaving for an Alaskan cruise on July 12 @ 4:30PM from Vancouver. We are staying in Seattle a couple of days before our cruise departs and have reserved Amtrak tickets to leave on July 12 at 7:40 AM arrive in Vancouver at 11:40 AM. My questions:

How far away from the Amtrak station is Canada Pier?

Will there be taxis aside the Amtrak station?

Can we pay taxi in US dollars?

Any other suggestions on how to get to Canada place for the cruise departure?

We are leaving for an Alaskan cruise on July 12 @ 4:30PM from Vancouver. We are staying in Seattle a couple of days before our cruise departs and have reserved Amtrak tickets to leave on July 12 at 7:40 AM arrive in Vancouver at 11:40 AM. My questions:

About three miles.

Yes

Yes

If you don't have too much luggage, you can walk across the street to the Sky Traiin station and take it to the Canada Place station stop (end of the line).

• about 3km (2miles)
  • Yes
  • Yes (it will be about 10$)
  • Skytrain. Exit Pacific Station ahead and to your left and across the street you'll see the elevated Skytrain station. $2.50/ea, ride it four stops to "Waterfront", and follow the signs to "Canada Place". The escalator from the underground Skytrain station puts you on the street about 100 metres from the entrance to the cruise terminal.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a caution......................make sure you know which pier you need; all ships don't leave from Canada Place.

We rode Quik Shuttle from seatac to Canada Place...................it was wonderful................a huge tour bus with all kinds of legroom. When we DISembarked it was the first thing we saw after we got off the ship. The bus was right there, INside C.P. and they checked off our names and the bus was off in about fifteen minutes.

BTW, if you purchase tickets online you get a discount.;)

there is a McDonalds at Vanc train station so buy a cup of coffee with US $ then you will have Cdn Change. Some cab drivers will charge an unfair exchange rate, but most cabs also take credit cards.

Just a caution......................make sure you know which pier you need; all ships don't leave from Canada Place.

We rode Quik Shuttle from seatac to Canada Place...................it was wonderful................a huge tour bus with all kinds of legroom. When we DISembarked it was the first thing we saw after we got off the ship. The bus was right there, INside C.P. and they checked off our names and the bus was off in about fifteen minutes.

This year all ships DO leave from Canada Place, other than NCL Pearl on her last cruise of the year. There are usually more than plenty of cabs at the VIA Rail/Amtrak station and it is about $10-15CDN (approximately the same USD with the current exchange rate), and you can pay in USD without any worries.

The OP was asking about Vancouver's Pacific Station to Canada Place, not SEATAC airport to Canada Place.

• 7 months later...

When you exit the Amtrak station in Vancouver if you choose to ride the Skytrain does anyone know if there is an elevator or escalator to the platform. We rode the reverse some years ago and I remember walking down steps from the Skytrain to the station. With luggage and not great knees, I would prefer to hear about elevator/escalator before we decide to do this versus a taxi.

When you exit the Amtrak station in Vancouver if you choose to ride the Skytrain does anyone know if there is an elevator or escalator to the platform. We rode the reverse some years ago and I remember walking down steps from the Skytrain to the station. With luggage and not great knees, I would prefer to hear about elevator/escalator before we decide to do this versus a taxi.

The closest and most obvious entrance to the Skytrain station from Pacific Central Station is all stairs, but if you cross Main St at the traffic light instead of going directly up to the station, there are escalators on that side. I think there is an elevator on that side as well.

Edited by zephyr17

The closest and most obvious entrance to the Skytrain station from Pacific Central Station is all stairs, but if you cross Main St at the traffic light instead of going directly up to the station, there are escalators on that side. I think there is an elevator on that side as well.

Thank you for the information!:D

Yes, there is an elevator on the far side. WHen you get off at Waterfront Station, turn left (follow the signs to Canada Place) up a short escalator, then turn right and up a longer escalator. Sadly no elevators on this side of the station, but it's better than taking the elevator, which puts you 3 blocks from Canada Place vs ½ block

Edited by scottbee

We took the sky train to the Amtrak station after our cruise. It was a great experience. Felt like the Disneyland monorail system had made it up to Vancouver.

:p

I agree. We rode it TO the Amtrak station in the past and it was neat.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry you are about as far as you could be, you are going to have about a $35 cab fare in either direction...with that you may want to reconsider where you stay. Another transportation option would be to take the SkyTrain to Waterfront Station and then transfer the Canada Line and go out to Richmond...if you would care to post the name of your hotel I am sure that someone would be happy to help you with which Canada Line train you should take and where to get off.

Take the Canada Line from Richmond to its terminus at Waterfront Station in downtown Vancouver - go down one level and pick up the Expo or Millineum liner and take four stops to Main Street - Science World station - Amtrak station is called Pacific Central Station.

While it is doable it is a bit of a hassle so perhaps think about staying in the downtown core.

Cheers

Dennis

• 2 years later...

Thanks so much for the info. My son was going to drive us to Canada Place- but now I'm thinking Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver and the taking the sky train is the way to go, one more adventure to out trip of a life time and all of info here makes is sound so easy.

I love the info found on Cruise Critic!:D

Amtrak is certainly a very pleasant way to travel between Seattle and Vancouver. Once at the train station in Vancouver you may care to consider a taxi if there are 2 or more of you as the SkyTrain fare will run you $2.75 pp (CAD only) and a taxi fare will run about $12 and save you about 4 blocks of walking with your luggage in tow.

From Pacific Station to Canada Place by Skytrain is certainly not 4 blocks of walking as some one is implying.

You'll need to exit Pacific Station (Amtrak) and board Skytrain at the corner of Main and Terminal - that's a one block walk straight ahead and slightly to your left as you exit Pacific Station - probably a one block walk. Then when you exit the Expo/Millennium line by means of the marked "Canada Place" exit it puts you 1/2 block from Canada Place.

there is a McDonalds at Vanc train station so buy a cup of coffee with US $ then you will have Cdn Change. Some cab drivers will charge an unfair exchange rate, but most cabs also take credit cards.

Not anymore. When we were at the train station in May the McDonald's had shut down. There are other businesses in the station, and a Subway about a block away

Edited by Vexorg

We just did a weekend in Vancouver from Seattle. We took the Amtrak bus up and the train back home. Though we weren't cruising this time, we stayed at the Best Western Plus Chateau Granville, which is just 10 blocks or so from Canada Place. There were cabs available at the train station, making it very easy.