Voyager of the Seas Picture Review Singapore to Shanghai June 2012

We are on Voyager out of Baoshin on 18th August 2012 and have not cruised with RCL before only other lines. Thank you for your comprehensive review. Am now getting excited.

Thanks for sharing all these pictures, can't wait for our cruise to New Zealand in December.

Glad you liked it!!

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for this outstanding review.

I've read losts of negative stuff about VOTS recently, and it was starting to put a downer on our upcoming trip, but reading your review has got me really excited again.

Thanks.

Thank you for this outstanding review.

I've read losts of negative stuff about VOTS recently, and it was starting to put a downer on our upcoming trip, but reading your review has got me really excited again.

Thanks.

The VOTS is in great shape, don't worry about that.

We'll be sailing on her again in Dec 2012! Yippee..

Edited by Iluvcruising2

Thank you so much we are in the same room you had! Can you tell me if you heard any noise from the ship or other balconies?

Loved the room pics, do you have any more of the balcony???:)

No noise from other balconies.

However, there is some ambient ship noise - engine noise.

We got used to it quite quickly though. The drone can put us to sleep.

Hello

wow, your photos are amazing and so beautiful and thank for your time to put photos and story..

About Singapore, it brought my memory back as I think I last visited Singapore about 9 years ago, for 3 nights with my family and in law... that was my second times and I love Singapore and when I saw your trip report and I decided to read it along...

'LOTS' - are you referring to Legend of the Seas or Liberty of the Seas?

Legend is a Vision class ship (70,000 GT) while Liberty is a Freedom class ship (150,000GT).

Voyager and Mariner are sister-ships.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Mariner_of_the_Seas

Mariner was recently refurbished. I'm quite keen to sail on her!!

I was on Freedom of the Seas last year for my special birthday and I thought it was a huge ship and I disliked at first day but my husband took me to look around and finally I love it...and we love Promenade it was great...

Glad you liked the review & welcome back to Singapore!!

Some suggestions in no particular order: Since I last visited Singapore I saw...

1) Gardens by the Bay no

2) Singapore Flyer - the views now should be breathtaking in the evening and at night. no

3) Singapore Zoo never went cos phoiba of snakes

4) Chinatown yes

5) Little India yes

6) Orchard Road yes, love it... shopping was excellent..

7) Universal Studios (if you are into theme parks) didnt know...

also visited parrot park, sentosa... hop on hop off

and I think Singapore Airport is best in the World...Why, well it is cleaning and beautiful also the staff was so lovely to us too.... I never forget that...When we flew to Australia and the airport was so different!!

Not sure what other interests you may have.

This is the official Singapore tourism website where you may get more ideas.

http://www.yoursingapore.com/content/traveller/en/experience.html

The risotto main.

When at Portofino, you can only order one main each. However, if you ask, they would usually let you order a main portion of pasta or risotto to share too!

s456vp.jpg

Is that Crab? cos I had that at Freedorm of the Seas...just wonder...

Anyway, thank for showing the photos which was amazing but shame about the weather...

I fancy go back to Singapore in future....

Scottishwee35

I have read in various brochures that the Voyager class ships have Chops Grille, the sushi place and Portofino but when I look at the deck plan I can only locate Portofino?

Also, at a travel show I attended recently the RCI rep said there was the possibility of a dining package deal including the Chef's Table and specialty dining. Was that available on your trip?

Thank you for your review, I followed it very closely.

God bless you:)

TraceyG

I have read in various brochures that the Voyager class ships have Chops Grille, the sushi place and Portofino but when I look at the deck plan I can only locate Portofino?

Also, at a travel show I attended recently the RCI rep said there was the possibility of a dining package deal including the Chef's Table and specialty dining. Was that available on your trip?

Thank you for your review, I followed it very closely.

God bless you:)

TraceyG

Thanks! Glad that you enjoyed it.

Unfortunately, the Voyager of the Seas only has Portofino at the moment. This should change after her drydock scheduled for 2014.

Other Voyager class ships like the Mariner have been to the drydock recently and they have had the upgrades.

Thank you so much for this review! The pictures were fantastic!

I am thinking of doing an Asian cruise next year that would start in Hong Kong with an overnight and end in Singapore (it's on Princess, not Royal). But Ho Chi Minh City is one of the stops.

Can you tell me what tour company you used at Phu My and why you chose this particular company? Did you have a guide and a driver? Did they suggest an itinerary for you? Is the 2 hour drive from Phy My to HCMC without scenery and boring?

Also, I was thinking of flying into Hong Kong one night before my cruise, and then day 1 of the cruise overnight in Hong Kong with departure the next afternoon. I know there's a lot to do in Hong Kong, is 2 nights enough to see Victoria Peak, the Buddha at Lantau Island and everything else one should do in Hong Kong? I've never been there before.

At the end of the cruise, I was thinking of staying 1 night in Singapore and then flying out the next afternoon from Singapore to Bangkok. So, in the 1.5 days in Singapore, what do you suggest as my priorities to do and see? I really want to do the Singapore Flyer. I've also heard that the Singapore Zoo has a good night tram ride program. What else should I see in my short time there.

Also, back to visas. I know you said you didn't need them since you are Singaporean. I am actually Thai (hence why I am thinking of flying on to Bangkok) and hold a Thai and US passport. I believe that with my Thai passport, I wouldn't need a visa for Vietnam. So, if a Visa isn't needed, but you still need to pass through immigration, do you just show them your visa and then you're on your way?

Thanks again!

Thank you so much for this review! The pictures were fantastic!

I am thinking of doing an Asian cruise next year that would start in Hong Kong with an overnight and end in Singapore (it's on Princess, not Royal). But Ho Chi Minh City is one of the stops.

Can you tell me what tour company you used at Phu My and why you chose this particular company? Did you have a guide and a driver? Did they suggest an itinerary for you? Is the 2 hour drive from Phy My to HCMC without scenery and boring?

Also, I was thinking of flying into Hong Kong one night before my cruise, and then day 1 of the cruise overnight in Hong Kong with departure the next afternoon. I know there's a lot to do in Hong Kong, is 2 nights enough to see Victoria Peak, the Buddha at Lantau Island and everything else one should do in Hong Kong? I've never been there before.

At the end of the cruise, I was thinking of staying 1 night in Singapore and then flying out the next afternoon from Singapore to Bangkok. So, in the 1.5 days in Singapore, what do you suggest as my priorities to do and see? I really want to do the Singapore Flyer. I've also heard that the Singapore Zoo has a good night tram ride program. What else should I see in my short time there.

Also, back to visas. I know you said you didn't need them since you are Singaporean. I am actually Thai (hence why I am thinking of flying on to Bangkok) and hold a Thai and US passport. I believe that with my Thai passport, I wouldn't need a visa for Vietnam. So, if a Visa isn't needed, but you still need to pass through immigration, do you just show them your visa and then you're on your way?

Thanks again!

Glad you liked it.

For Vietnam, we used a tour company called

http://www.discovervietnam.com.vn/Eng/index.php

Email is info@discovervietnam.com.vn

My wife found their contact on tripadvisor. They are very well reviewed there. You may want to check it out.

For our group, (4 adults and 2 kids), they provided an English speaking guide and driver. The transport was a 12 seater Mercedes van, in almost new condition. We could have saved a little if we merged with other groups, but we decided to do it our own because we wanted to have full control of the itinerary and also get back to the ship earlier. We skipped lunch altogether. We just packed some light food (e.g. buns, croissants) from the ship and ate along the way.

There are also other reliable private tour agencies - you can find their contacts on these forums.

On paper, it is a 2 hour ride. But I think our ride was a little faster (about 90 minutes), thanks to relatively smooth traffic, plus the fact that the Van could go quite fast! The ride will definitely be 2 hours if you take those 40 seater coaches that are used for ship tours.

I've got to run off now. Let me write more later.

If you are flying in from the USA, I think you would have to cope with jet lag?

HK is quite a fascinating place. 2 nights would be quite a rush. Maybe you want to consider 3 nights instead, if budget and time permits.

1 night isn't enough! Stay 3 nights at least!

Plenty to do in Singapore. :)

Here is our official tourism website.

http://www.yoursingapore.com/content/traveller/en/experience.html

Thanks again!

Yes, as Singapore passport holders, we didn't need Visas. I can't remember what the procedure was, other than it was very hassle free.

I definitely don't recall the cruise line returning our passports for our day trip into Vietnam.

Our private pick-up was waiting for us, punctually, when we got off the ship at the container port.

Thanks for your information. We'll have to see what we can fit in. Jet lag isn't too bad for me when I travel. Since we have so little time, we make the most of it and hit the ground running.

I'll have to see if I can pull off another day in Singapore, may be hard. I can't travel all the way to Asia and not make time to see my family in Bangkok!

Thanks for your information. We'll have to see what we can fit in. Jet lag isn't too bad for me when I travel. Since we have so little time, we make the most of it and hit the ground running.

I'll have to see if I can pull off another day in Singapore, may be hard. I can't travel all the way to Asia and not make time to see my family in Bangkok!

Have lots of fun!! :)

By the way, I'm a Bruin too.