Texting my daughter on board the same ship Verizon

vinman13

I was wondering if anyone has used texting to keep track of family while on board the same cruise ship. We will be on the Breeze. We are Verizon is it .50 to send and .5 to receive texts. I was wondering if their were any other Charges. I know I need to call before I leave to turn on international calling.

As the PP said, check with your phone company. Be prepared to give them your ports of call, and let them know you will be at sea.

Unless I am mistaken, you will be using more than just your phone provider for this service, however, as your provider will not be able to provide service while you are 'out in the water' - ie. there are no cell towers and you will have to use the satellite via 'cellular at sea.'

Since you are using international calling, you should be fine in port areas. Your rates will depend upon your individual plan.

Walkie-talkies might by your solution

Yes

Because to be able to text, you must enable your cell service and if you enable cell service your phone could potentially attempt to download other items in the background. Verizon for example the cost is like $20 per 1MB; $25 per 100MB (requires plan)

It makes me absolutely CRAZY how much misinformation there is on these boards about this subject!!!!

If you do not want to buy a global data plan ($25/month/100 MB) just turn off data on your phone. Data is almost non-existant on the ship anyway.

You are NOT charged anything extra from the "ship's towers) like many uninformed people think.

With Verizon it is only the .50 send .05 receive.

Also just to clarify - if you get a phone call you are NOT charged UNLESS you answer it - many have incorrectly posted that you are charged for phone calls that go to voicemail - not true. You ARE charged if you listen to that voice mail.

so each text between you & DD will cost .55 .50 to send & .05 to receive - there are charges for texting photos be aware.

All in all not a bad way to keep in touch on the ship and FAR LESS intrusive than radios!

I cruise with my Verizon phone on - all services running - I add the global data for the month I am cruising - I have never come home to a surprise phone bill.

We have considered this but the one thing you cannot control is other people texting you or your daughter. We use the cabin phones voicemail for checking in with each other. After the first day we have a good idea where our DD will be and let her know where we plan to be so she can check in every few hours.

.....I assume AT & T would be similar to Verizon, including texting rates? .....$0.55 is a great and inexpensive way to check in with two teen girls on ship. TKS...:cool:

The even BIGGER concern would be ALL of the other texts that the two teen girls will be receiveing (and replying to) from their friends back at home.... Still .05 to receive, and still .50 to reply to.... Good luck getting a teen to NOT reply to their BFF at home!:eek:

I know my daughter tends to be in the 400 - 500 text message range each month.... that's around 100 per week, (her plan has unlimited texting - while at home) and if they are used to doing it without thinking, it will be hard to curb.... for the range that DD texts it would run $55.00 per person just for texting back home, plus whatever you do on the ship....

A simple "how's the trip?" from a friend could end up costing a small fortune....

Edited by NS-Cruiser

Not sure if Verizon has an internation texting plan, but AT&T did when I had them. It was $10 for 100 texts I think. We have Verizon now and I text my husband who is currently overseas with no big issues. He texts me back too. :)

Edited by BubMunkeyBles

Not sure if Verizon has an internation texting plan, but AT&T did when I had them. It was $10 for 100 texts I think. We have Verizon now and I text my husband who is currently overseas with no big issues. He texts me back too. :)

An international texting plan would only apply when docked at a port - the rates of .50 .05 are while on the ship where an international texting plan would not apply.

Per Verizon:

Cruise Ship Rates apply in international waters. Global Roaming Voice Rates apply while in port or in coastal areas covered by a Global carrier.

Stay connected while you travel by pairing Global Data with a domestic data plan. Global Data plans give you a data allowance in 120 countries and start at just $25 a month.

Rule Your Journey

Carnival Legend (N/A - CDMA)

U.S.

Dial 011 then 1 then Number

Other Countries

Dial 011 then Country Code then Number

Customer Service

Dial 011 then 1 then 908-559-4899

Calling Card Dialing Instructions: If you cannot place a call from your VZW device, please call Global Support toll-free from any landline phone using these instructions.

1. Dial the toll-free access code for the country you are in (See Dialing Instructions above).

2. After the tone, enter your Verizon Wireless calling card number and PIN. (Calling Card Number: 9085594899 PIN: 2392)

3. After the tone enter 0-908-559-4899.

4. The VZW Global Roaming Hotline will then prompt you to enter your 10-digit mobile number.

To check Voice Mail for a mobile number: Use the travel country to the U.S instructions above and call the mobile number. Press # to interrupt the greeting and enter your password when prompted.

Depending on your device, press and hold "0" or "*" to display the "+" symbol. The "+" symbol automatically inserts the exit code for the country from which you are calling.

Before you travel, contact Verizon Wireless by dialing *611 from your wireless device or (800)922-0204 from any phone to enable international roaming.

I work in global tech support at Verizon, .50 to send and .05 to receive a text is all you will pay onboard ship and most countries. Check out www.verizonwireless.com/tripplanner, have a great trip!

Thank you for that,

I have told people to check with Verizon before going, tell what you are doing and they will help.

Our last 2 cruises I have done this and each time our bill was about $60 extra and I had use of my phone, text, and data

Now did not use when out at sea much, but in ports it was fine to call, text and check email.

Just call and use global roaming and global data, but note they are not the same, this is two different plans and you will need both.

Global roaming is free and can be on all the time on your phone, just in case you wake up in a strange country.

Then call *611 and have them turn on the global data and you are set.

It makes me absolutely CRAZY how much misinformation there is on these boards about this subject!!!!

If you do not want to buy a global data plan ($25/month/100 MB) just turn off data on your phone. Data is almost non-existant on the ship anyway.

You are NOT charged anything extra from the "ship's towers) like many uninformed people think.

With Verizon it is only the .50 send .05 receive.

Also just to clarify - if you get a phone call you are NOT charged UNLESS you answer it - many have incorrectly posted that you are charged for phone calls that go to voicemail - not true. You ARE charged if you listen to that voice mail.

so each text between you & DD will cost .55 .50 to send & .05 to receive - there are charges for texting photos be aware.

All in all not a bad way to keep in touch on the ship and FAR LESS intrusive than radios!

I cruise with my Verizon phone on - all services running - I add the global data for the month I am cruising - I have never come home to a surprise phone bill.

Again, correct,

Also, if you call for the global data when you get on the ship, and then call again when you are at the air port waiting for your flight home, it is prorated and even cheaper.

My teen and I just have designated times and locations to meet. If the Club activities break at 3:00 then we will meet at the cabin at 3:00. If he decides to go play basketball then he would leave a note in the cabin (post it on mirror, designated spot) where he was going. If I needed to talk to him, then I would go where he said he was going.

.....I assume AT & T would be similar to Verizon, including texting rates? .....$0.55 is a great and inexpensive way to check in with two teen girls on ship. TKS...:cool:

It is a good way to keep track of them, as the parent, as long as they are not going to talk to friends back home, like they do at home, or each other when at different places on the ship,

the average kid will use hundreds in a day if left alone, so make sure they know it is only to locate each other, emergency type of use, not "what are you doing?" "Nothing" "What are you doing?" "nothing either"

That just cost you half of a quarter of a DoD $2.20

Again, correct,

Also, if you call for the global data when you get on the ship, and then call again when you are at the air port waiting for your flight home, it is prorated and even cheaper.

If you do that they also prorate the data allowance so you may go over, but for the $25 you get the whole 100 MB so I just leave it for the month.

If you do that they also prorate the data allowance so you may go over, but for the $25 you get the whole 100 MB so I just leave it for the month.

That is true, but that is why you would ask when you have them on the phone, to see what you have used, and would be better.

I did not go over 5 MB so I was fine.

But you are correct, if you used it then waiting would be better.

• 6 months later...