Luggage storage

Tika

Does/will Cunard store your luggage if you plan to tour for a few weeks in Europe before returning back on board. Packing for the TA's and then just touring would lighten the load if we could leave some luggage in storage until we reboard for our trip home.

We are thinking of traveling both Eastbound and Westbound but also taking some time to tour in Europe. My parents did this years ago when we traveled to Italy on the Christoforo Colombo and returned home on the Andrea Doria.

Does/will Cunard store your luggage if you plan to tour for a few weeks in Europe before returning back on board. Packing for the TA's and then just touring would lighten the load if we could leave some luggage in storage until we reboard for our trip home.

We are thinking of traveling both Eastbound and Westbound but also taking some time to tour in Europe. My parents did this years ago when we traveled to Italy on the Christoforo Colombo and returned home on the Andrea Doria.

Yes they will do that, in the "old days" your stateroom steward would have liased with the Baggage Master on board and it was kept on board and was a free service, but now they store it ashore in Southampton and it is chargeable.

Last I heard -

"Guests who wish to store luggage after disembarking the QM2 in southampton prior to their return voyage in the future may do so with our Port Agent in Southampton. Please register at the Purser's Office. The cost of this service is $100.00 (delivery and collection fee) per bag plus $10.00 per week storage. This will be charged to your onboard account. Bags must be collected in the terminal ashore from the baggage hall and dropped off at the Enquires Desk in the check-in hall after exiting Customs"

So this is very expensive.

There is a much much cheaper alternative:

http://www.loknstore.co.uk/loknblog/?p=949

I hope you find this helpful

Thanks, Griller. When I asked the same question a few weeks ago, I was told that the cost would be $65. Talk about inflation!:eek: Since we'll probably be storing only one bag, the convenience might still be worth the cost, but I'll certainly take a closer look at Lok'nStore now.

Edited by Thaxted

Thanks, Griller. When I asked the same question a few weeks ago, I was told that the cost would be $65. Talk about inflation!:eek: Since we'll probably be storing only one bag, the convenience might still be worth the cost, but I'll certainly take a closer look at Lok'nStore now.

Thaxted,

I would take Griller's advice, last year we tried in vain to store our extra luggage in London. You can, but is is very expensive! Blame those terrorists. We finally sent the contents of our extra luggage a few months ahead of us to my wife's relatives in Riga, Latvia and eventually collected them on our way back to the UK. Saved a bundle. :)

This was posted in the Daily Programme in June:

Storage of Luggage in Southampton

Guests who wish to store luggage after disembarking QM2 in Southampton prior to their return voyage in the future may do so with our Port Agent in Southampton. Please register at the Purser's Office. The cost of this service is $65.00 per bag for up to 30 days and an additional $30.00 per bag for the next 30 days. This will be charged to your on-board account. You will be provided with a separate luggage tag and your luggage will be transported by the Port Agent to the Carnival UK storage facility until your return.

Thank you all so very much for responding to my enquiry!!!!!!!!! A big plus knowing that we can pack appropriately for the crossings & land touring. I think the price is reasonable for this convenience. The days of the free b's are long gone and I am just happy that the service is still available especially with Cunard/Carnival's storage facility.

Do you have to take out special insurance?

Yes they will do that, in the "old days" your stateroom steward would have liased with the Baggage Master on board and it was kept on board and was a free service, but now they store it ashore in Southampton and it is chargeable.

Last I heard -

"Guests who wish to store luggage after disembarking the QM2 in southampton prior to their return voyage in the future may do so with our Port Agent in Southampton. Please register at the Purser's Office. The cost of this service is $100.00 (delivery and collection fee) per bag plus $10.00 per week storage. This will be charged to your onboard account. Bags must be collected in the terminal ashore from the baggage hall and dropped off at the Enquires Desk in the check-in hall after exiting Customs"

So this is very expensive.

There is a much much cheaper alternative:

http://www.loknstore.co.uk/loknblog/?p=949

I hope you find this helpful

Griller - How about an approximate $ range for say a large suitcase, one week's time, and one that would hold the tux and a few gowns? Your estimate would be helpful. I opened the site you suggested but didn't want to commit all my data without a feel for the cost of taxi plus storage and taxi back vs the $100+10 fee with Cunard. Jack Morris

Griller - How about an approximate $ range for say a large suitcase, one week's time, and one that would hold the tux and a few gowns? Your estimate would be helpful. I opened the site you suggested but didn't want to commit all my data without a feel for the cost of taxi plus storage and taxi back vs the $100+10 fee with Cunard. Jack Morris

Hi Jack, I am sorry I cannot tell you as I have no idea, but for one suitcase maybe Cunard is the way to go, for more I wouldn't use Cunard.

As well as that other members seem to think its now $65, which isn't quite so exhorbitant.

Has anyone else noticed that as OBC has been more widely given -the cost of many on board services and tours etc has generally increased?

Maybe there is no correlation and I am just cynical!

• 1 year later...
This was posted in the Daily Programme in June:

Storage of Luggage in Southampton

Guests who wish to store luggage after disembarking QM2 in Southampton prior to their return voyage in the future may do so with our Port Agent in Southampton. Please register at the Purser's Office. The cost of this service is $65.00 per bag for up to 30 days and an additional $30.00 per bag for the next 30 days. This will be charged to your on-board account. You will be provided with a separate luggage tag and your luggage will be transported by the Port Agent to the Carnival UK storage facility until your return.

I googled to find out about luggage storage in Southampton and this old thread came up and was wondering if the policy stated above is still in effect?

We are doing a transatlantic over to Southampton on the Queen Elizabeth and returning 20 days later on the Queen Mary 2. We need to leave one suitcase with our 'dress up' clothes in storage at Southampton as we are doing a very intense travel schedule and don't need our dressy clothes on that leg of our trip.

Thank you for any help you can give us!

Can't speak for Southampton but we have stored bags with Cunard in NY and it was $65 per bag. I have to say that the experince was a bit hairy. When we disembarked we were told to take our bags to a certain area. There was no-one there and when we enquired we were told "just leave your bags there". Reluctantley we did. Spent the next week worrying if our bags got to storage and when we got back to the ship our bags were nowhere to be seen. Shortly before sailing the bags appeared outside our stateroom. Result! I am using this service again in December so I hope it has gotten better. :)

Edited by mallorcasaint

Can't speak for Southampton but we have stored bags with Cunard in NY and it was $65 per bag. I have to say that the experince was a bit hairy. When we disembarked we were told to take our bags to a certain area. There was no-one there and when we enquired we were told "just leave your bags there". Reluctantley we did. Spent the next week worrying if our bags got to storage and when we got back to the ship our bags were nowhere to be seen. Shortly before sailing the bags appeared outside our stateroom. Result! I am using this service again in December so I hope it has gotten better. :)

Thank you.

This information is both good and :eek:!

What we will be leaving in Southampton will be all our fancy duds - gowns, dresses, suit, jackets, shoes, etc. - in one big suitcase. If this service is available in Southampton, I will just have to trust Cunard with the case and if it goes missing we will certainly be 'under dressed' :eek: :-)

mallorcasaint, would appreciate it very much if you would let me know how it goes with your storage in December when you get back.

Thank you again.

We just used this service this past June in Southampton. Has others have said it cost $65 for up to 30 days storage. I think it was $90 for over that amount of time.

You get special tags to put on your luggage and then you put the bag out in the hallway with your other bags the night before disembarkation. They wisk them away during the night.

When we returned for our westbound trip, the bag was just delivered to our cabin.

It was a great service and we had no problem at all. We plan to do it again next May.

We just used this service this past June in Southampton. Has others have said it cost $65 for up to 30 days storage. I think it was $90 for over that amount of time.

You get special tags to put on your luggage and then you put the bag out in the hallway with your other bags the night before disembarkation. They wisk them away during the night.

When we returned for our westbound trip, the bag was just delivered to our cabin.

It was a great service and we had no problem at all. We plan to do it again next May.

This is very good news and thank you for sharing your experience with Cunard storage. You just put a big :D on my face!

Does anybody know if this service exists on the other side of the pond.

We hope to travel to the USA on QM2, spend a few weeks touring around and then return by QM2.

Clearly travelling around with all our fancy evening clothes is not an option.

We hope to travel to the USA on QM2, spend a few weeks touring around and then return by QM2.

If you read the previous posts you will see my post about this.

Cabinet:

mallorcasaint kindly answered this up thread and this was his answer:

Can't speak for Southampton but we have stored bags with Cunard in NY and it was $65 per bag. I have to say that the experince was a bit hairy. When we disembarked we were told to take our bags to a certain area. There was no-one there and when we enquired we were told "just leave your bags there". Reluctantley we did. Spent the next week worrying if our bags got to storage and when we got back to the ship our bags were nowhere to be seen. Shortly before sailing the bags appeared outside our stateroom. Result! I am using this service again in December so I hope it has gotten better.

His answer was the first to begin to relieve some of the stress over what to do with our big suitcase. I've been searching and googling trying to find an answer to the 'big suitcase' question and until finding this old thread and mallorcasaint's answer, the best I'd come up with was a storage locker facility about 10 minutes away from the pier. The Cunard option appears so easy and at $65 is well worth the convenience. Was also so great to hear from Cruise NH about her good experience with this service.

Cruisecritic has so many kind and helpful people to whom I'm very thankful.

i didn't mean to give the impression that the storage service at Red Hook was bad. On the contrary, it worked very well. I suppose it was the fact that we were not familiar with the procedures and the american staff in the terminal were a bit matter of fact about it all. But in the end they know what they are doing and I wouldn't hesitate to use it again on our December/January visit. :)

Cabinet:

mallorcasaint kindly answered this up thread and this was his answer:

His answer was the first to begin to relieve some of the stress over what to do with our big suitcase. I've been searching and googling trying to find an answer to the 'big suitcase' question and until finding this old thread and mallorcasaint's answer, the best I'd come up with was a storage locker facility about 10 minutes away from the pier. The Cunard option appears so easy and at $65 is well worth the convenience. Was also so great to hear from Cruise NH about her good experience with this service.

Cruisecritic has so many kind and helpful people to whom I'm very thankful.

Thanks for reposting the answer. I know that we asked Cunard if they could help when we went over in 2010 and they gave a big fat NO :(.

We ended up leaving our fancy clothes with the hotel we stayed in on our first four nights in New York before we set off on our "Grand Tour" :D. Problem was we had to go back there for our final night to collect our suitcase and that one night cost nearly as much as the other four combined because the four night package had been a "deal".

• 1 month later...

DH and I stored one large suitcase with Cunard at Southampton between two QM2 crossings during Sept 2012. It was slick and it was easy! HOWEVER, personal at the Purser's desk were extremely ill-informed about the procedure. We needed to speak to several different people, before receiving the correct information. We were told it was White Star Service. It is not. We were told to drag the suitcase to the dock ourselves and leave it there! Wrong! It is to be left outside the door with a SPECIAL TAG from the purser's desk. The charge appears on your bill and the suitcase re-appears in your room after you re-board the ship.

Lack of consistent information made me nervous so I asked the cabin steward for reassurance---He knew nothing! Never heard of such a thing!

All this aside, it is a great service and made our time in England less burdensome. I only recommend anyone using this service be wary of false information and insist on speaking with someone at the purser's desk who will provide the correct tag. Then, it's all very easy : )

DH and I stored one large suitcase with Cunard at Southampton between two QM2 crossings during Sept 2012. It was slick and it was easy! HOWEVER, personal at the Purser's desk were extremely ill-informed about the procedure. We needed to speak to several different people, before receiving the correct information. We were told it was White Star Service. It is not. We were told to drag the suitcase to the dock ourselves and leave it there! Wrong! It is to be left outside the door with a SPECIAL TAG from the purser's desk. The charge appears on your bill and the suitcase re-appears in your room after you re-board the ship.

Lack of consistent information made me nervous so I asked the cabin steward for reassurance---He knew nothing! Never heard of such a thing!

All this aside, it is a great service and made our time in England less burdensome. I only recommend anyone using this service be wary of false information and insist on speaking with someone at the purser's desk who will provide the correct tag. Then, it's all very easy : )

Thank you, jimmybean, for added assurances about this service and directions who to speak with at the purser's desk.

• 4 weeks later...

This thread was the first to come up after I googled about baggage storage with Cunard. I thought I had seen something about it on our recent TA(first ever) and we are thinking of using the service in NY next year whilst we go a-wandering.

It looks like it works well but I know I will be so stressed about it the whole time and wondering if the bag will turn up. I wonder if they always have.:rolleyes::eek:

Thanks for the up to date info too.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread was the first to come up after I googled about baggage storage with Cunard. I thought I had seen something about it on our recent TA(first ever) and we are thinking of using the service in NY next year whilst we go a-wandering.

It looks like it works well but I know I will be so stressed about it the whole time and wondering if the bag will turn up. I wonder if they always have.:rolleyes::eek:

Thanks for the up to date info too.

It costs $65 to store up to 30 days in Southampton - get a special luggage tag from the purser's office - put the bag outside your stateroom the night before you disembark and it will appear like magic outside your stateroom on your return voyage. No muss no fuss. It's the same in New York but a bit more costly ? and involved ? I am not sure of the details there.

It costs $65 to store up to 30 days in Southampton - get a special luggage tag from the purser's office - put the bag outside your stateroom the night before you disembark and it will appear like magic outside your stateroom on your return voyage. No muss no fuss. It's the same in New York but a bit more costly ? and involved ? I am not sure of the details there.

Thank you for the reply. I think that price isn't too bad really if it saves us a few weeks of carting that extra bag around and the cost of that bag on internal flights. It is just that worry about it not turning up outside the door on the return leg that I worry about. I guess you just have to trust them on that.