Poutine in Vancouver downtown(best authentic budget poutine)please.

trinaM

HI I will be in Vancouver and I am craving poutine. Can anyone direct me to

the BEST POUTINE in Vancouver (downtown) area? I do not have access to a car, .

thank you for your help.

• 2 weeks later...

well, I didn't know burger king in the area of vancouver served poutine!

sounds like something to try at least.

thanks for the suggestions.

I'm sorry but I fine the Burger King Poutine just awful and I consider myself a poutine snob (if I do say so myself ;) ) I would recommend New York fries , there are several locations walking distance from the cruise port and are definately budget friendly. They use a darker beef gravy but the taste is very good and the cheese curds are real cheese and the fries are fresh cut. :)

well, I didn't know burger king in the area of vancouver served poutine!

sounds like something to try at least.

thanks for the suggestions.

Sorry but poutine anywhere outside of Quebec is just not worth it!

• 9 months later...

Late for the traveller coming to Vancouver but Fritz is one of the best around town and it's in the downtown area. For myself, I love poutine anytime anywhere but hubby loves it best when I make it at home with cheese curds picked up from the local Farmer's Market. Yummies!

• 5 months later...

Three places I go to for cheese curds and gravy on fries in my city:

Fritz. Disclaimer: I've only ever been after a late night out at the clubs, so I've never had their poutine sober.

La Belle Patate. I lived in Quebec for 6 years and this is a real French poutine. Plus they do a hotdog poutine, which in my opinion is the best street food ever (when I was a student, this was the thing you ate after a night of barhopping, to gather your strength for the long stumble up Rue Lafountaine).

http://labellepatate.com/

La Brasserie does a good poutine, and is somewhat fancier. http://www.labrasserievancouver.com/contact.html

Edited by elizabet

yes, I am going again to vancouver, and still looking for the BEST poutine in the downtown area.thanks.

Sorry for delay - haven't looked on the food board for a while!

If you let us know which places you tried last time perhaps a different alternative can be suggested? Given the above recommendations from last time, I'm assuming you already went to Fritz & La Belle Patate so you've probably had the best downtown 'authentic' poutines (i.e. just gravy/curds/fries) already.

Out on Commercial Drive - easy on transit, but about an hour on foot from downtown - there's Belgian Fries who still advertise that CBC Montreal (the TV broadcaster) think they have the most authentic poutine in BC.

Edible Canada Bistro always have a poutine on the menu - it's not strictly authentic as it always comes with things like duck confit, eggs etc. but it's pretty tasty. Their fries are, to my knowledge, the only ones in town that are both twice-cooked at different temps (a necessity for truly fluffy-inside-crispy-outside fries) and cooked in duck fat (after the first time you try potatoes fried in duck fat, you'll never want to have any other kind again - except maybe Goose). I find the fries a little on the thin side though, so sometimes they're a little over-crunchy on the exterior.

Chambar does 'Poutine à la belge' on their bar menu as well as a side dish on the regular dinner offerings. You can usually get a seat in the bar without a reso as long as you avoid peak times Fri/Sat evenings. It's a very simple gravy/curds/fries affair, much smaller portion for the $ than at the likes of Fritz, but I love the gravy.

Out on Commercial Drive - easy on transit, but about an hour on foot from downtown - there's Belgian Fries who still advertise that CBC Montreal (the TV broadcaster) think they have the most authentic poutine in BC.

Seconded. Belgian Fries is great.

There is apparently a place on Main Street (name alludes me at the moment) as well that does good poutine, I just have yet to make the trek to try it.

Also, just tried the poutine at the Flying Pig. Was really good. Gluttonous. Also great at the Flying Pig is the brussel sprouts and the arugula and beet salad.

http://theflyingpigvan.com/

Seconded. Belgian Fries is great.

There is apparently a place on Main Street (name alludes me at the moment) as well that does good poutine, I just have yet to make the trek to try it.

Also, just tried the poutine at the Flying Pig. Was really good. Gluttonous. Also great at the Flying Pig is the brussel sprouts and the arugula and beet salad.

http://theflyingpigvan.com/

Flying Pig is good - we've been eating there since before it officially opened. Although I have yet to try their Gastown branch to see if it's consistent with the original.

You may be thinking of the Rumpus Room for poutine on Main - I haven't tried it yet, either the regular or the blue cheese & bacon version, but they're generally pretty good at the 'trashy' end of the food spectrum (no judgment, if it's a good enough description for Nigella it's good enough for me...)

Flying Pig is good - we've been eating there since before it officially opened. Although I have yet to try their Gastown branch to see if it's consistent with the original.

I've been to both, my preference for Gastown location. It's pretty much the same as far as food quality (super yum), I just find the staff at the Gastown location to be a little more friendly (no disrespect to Yaletown, it's my "hood", I just find the staff the Yaletown loc. to occasionally be snarky, not enough that I would never return, but I have knocked 2-3% off their tip once in awhile). Plus, if I time it correctly I can stop in at Revolver. ;)

Also, cruisers coming to Vancouver:

Go to Revolver for coffee. You may not be able to get a seat in the cafe but it will make you want to move to our little city by the sea. And make whatever coffee you drink at home taste utterly disappointing in comparison.

http://revolvercoffee.ca/

... It's pretty much the same as far as food quality (super yum), I just find the staff at the Gastown location to be a little more friendly (no disrespect to Yaletown, it's my "hood", I just find the staff the Yaletown loc. to occasionally be snarky, not enough that I would never return, but I have knocked 2-3% off their tip once in awhile).

Interesting - we noticed a general speeding-up/less chat in the service aspect after their expansion into the space next-door - and I've never seen either of the owners doing a walkaround during service since then, which was the norm prior to expanding. I think the server-to-table ratio is a little lower than it was, so they're probably shorter on time than when they first opened...

• 6 months later...
HI I will be in Vancouver and I am craving poutine. Can anyone direct me to

the BEST POUTINE in Vancouver (downtown) area?

Thank you again!!

Can't think of anywhere new that's opened since your last visit. Might I suggest, given the frequency of your visits, that when you finish working your way around all of the downtown poutineries you come back and tell us which one was the best? ;)

that when you finish working your way around all of the downtown poutineries you come back and tell us which one was the best? ;)

I will, if i find any wonderful not to be missed Poutine.

its all subjective anyway.

everyone likes something different.

To all: thanks for your helpful replies.:)

Cheers.

• 2 months later...