What is a foodie?

cirpi

+1 and I know Giada, Child, Flay, Morimoto, Kerr, Flay, Florence and all the gang.

Foodie is a silly title people who like to feel they are more informed and have a more "sophisticated" palate. They really aren't they just like to think so. Chef is a person trained in food and it doesn't always mean they make or eat food that anyone else would consider divine. You can make cheese out of Yaks milk but it doesn't mean you're any more intelligent than a farmer milking their nubian and making farmers cheese. Get a grip folks.

I love oysters but I prefer them fresh out of the ocean as opposed to oysters rockerfeller. The person who prefers OR doesn't have any more "food intellect" than someone who jumps out of the boat and eats from the source. It's just different, not better, not smarter just different. Foodie sounds silly. Definition should be Foodie: Someone willing to spend money on food that tastes like crap but since it's "chic" they love all of it and it makes them soooo much smarter...haha..

Cure cancer or global warming and then one will be important, until considering yourself a foodie, well everyone is a foodie because we all eat.

No need to specifically reply because I won't be back to debate any silly "foodie".

If the OP had asked for a definition of arrogance and/or narcissism, this post would be a textbook. :cool:

• 3 months later...
A foodie to me is someone who has a passion for food.

Someone who likes to try "Fusion food" and things outside the normal comfort dinners.

Someone who has the "Food Channel" on like others would have sports. Someone who know the names, Ramsey, Giada, Mario, Fiery, Morimoto, etc.

Someone who looks for food cart instead of food courts.

That works for me.

Actually what we should be defining here is a "cruise foodie"

A cruise foodie is someone who is obsessed with what the food will be on the cruise. He has found and scoured through all the ships menus for his impending cruise. He probably had already decided what he will be ordering each night in the MDR and it is still months before his cruise.

His research into each port centers around the best place to have a great "local lunch"

I am a cruise foodie.... :)

I'm more in the Bourdain school of "foodieism". I can appreciate and understand the concept behind highly constructed and sophisticated cuisine, but I have a very low tolerance for pretense and elitism in cooking. Sometimes, the simple, rustic, cheap dish really is the tastiest. I don't quite share his obsession with offal, but in general, I support foodie culture returning its focus on just what works and tastes good, not so much what is "most luxurious" or "most refined", or hell even "most authentic". I enjoy life and enjoy exploring the world of food with an open mind and a little homework to know what to expect. To me that is much more loving of food than someone who plans trips around which molecular gastropubs you can drop the most money at.

Probably easiest to explain in a compare contrast set of examples.

Average person: opens a package of Generic Cheddar and a box of Ritz Crackers

Foodie: drizzles Italian Honey over goat cheese and pairs it with fresh baguette

Average person: throws a sirloin on the grill and pairs it with mashed potatoes from a box and a can of peas

Foodie: drizzles truffle infused olive oil over a prime+ cut of grass fed NY Strip before grilling it, and serves it with prosciutto wrapped steamed asparagus.

Average person: Bakes whatever fish is on sale at the local grocery store and pairs with white rice and generic salad with bottled dressing.

foodie: Pan sears sesame crusted wild caught ahi and pairs with wasabi mash and fresh baby spinach with homemade dressing.

See the difference?

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Corrected "Foodie" comparison. Not all of us cook, but we do enjoy finer food that isn't found in a chain restaurant.

Average person: opens a package of Generic Cheddar and a box of Ritz Crackers

Foodie: Orders Italian Honey drizzled over goat cheese, paired with fresh baguette at an obscure little sidewalk cafe.

Average person: Orders a sirloin from Outback Steakhouse and pairs it with mashed potatoes from a bloomin' onion

Foodie: Goes to high end steakhouse and orders truffle infused olive oil over a prime+ cut of grass fed NY Strip served with with prosciutto wrapped steamed asparagus.

Average person: Orders whatever fish is on the menu at Red Lobster.

Foodie: May go to a restaurant and order pan seared sesame crusted wild caught ahi and pairs with wasabi mash and fresh baby spinach with homemade dressing.

O my goodness. I think of a foodie as someone who enjoys and appreciates different foods, cooks, and cuisines. Regardless if its fancy, simple, cheap or expensive.

Although I dislike the term "foodie," I agree with your definition. However, I must also add, that the way I interpret "foodie" is while the person does not necessarily cook well themselves, they still have a passion for food.

"
I have made no secret of my disdain for Chef Gusteau's famous motto, "Anyone can cook." But I realize, only now do I truly understand what he meant. Not everyone can become a great artist; but a great artist can come from anywhere
."

~Anton Ego (
Ratatouille
)

Edited by Travel R

I'm more in the Bourdain school of "foodieism". I can appreciate and understand the concept behind highly constructed and sophisticated cuisine, but I have a very low tolerance for pretense and elitism in cooking. Sometimes, the simple, rustic, cheap dish really is the tastiest. I don't quite share his obsession with offal, but in general, I support foodie culture returning its focus on just what works and tastes good, not so much what is "most luxurious" or "most refined", or hell even "most authentic". I enjoy life and enjoy exploring the world of food with an open mind and a little homework to know what to expect. To me that is much more loving of food than someone who plans trips around which molecular gastropubs you can drop the most money at.

I agree with you (except the offal part) and I love Bourdain. I think a foodie is just someone who loves food and is open to try new things. It's not about what is the most expensive and they don't even necessarily have to know how to cook. I don't think a foodie would turn their nose up at something just bc it smelled or looked strange. A foodie would be ready and willing to try anything new or different, esp foods from other cultures.

Edited by whataboutport

A cruise foodie is someone who is obsessed with what the food will be on the cruise. He has found and scoured through all the ships menus for his impending cruise. He probably had already decided what he will be ordering each night in the MDR and it is still months before his cruise.

His research into each port centers around the best place to have a great "local lunch"

Oops! That sounds exactly like me :eek:

O my goodness. I think of a foodie as someone who enjoys and appreciates different foods, cooks, and cuisines. Regardless if its fancy, simple, cheap or expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And that is the perfect definition, IMHO.

Another way to put it is that foodies eat food for enjoyment rather than to just fuel their bodies.

Anybody putting truffle oil onto prime beef loses their foodie card in my book! :eek:

Freshly shaved truffles yes, truffle oil, no.

Agree with the rest.

Down here in Australia we get extremely good truffle oil, there are 2-3 brands that are genuinely truffle shavings in oil, no artificial flavourings. Sure, not as good as fresh truffle but those are very hard to come by here. One company also makes truffle mustard, and I add that, plus a few drops of truffle oil, to butter as a topping for steak. It's very yummy.

Down here in Australia we get extremely good truffle oil, there are 2-3 brands that are genuinely truffle shavings in oil, no artificial flavourings. Sure, not as good as fresh truffle but those are very hard to come by here. One company also makes truffle mustard, and I add that, plus a few drops of truffle oil, to butter as a topping for steak. It's very yummy.

Mmm, truffle mustard sounds really good.

To whoever told us to stop posting pictures of our food DON'T LISTEN! Food pics are what keep me going in between nice meals...If you don't like food pics don't look at 'em!!

I definitely consider myself a foodie. If you wanna call yourself a foodie, you are one! Hehe. No need to get nit picky about it. Food is delicious, and can be enjoyed for many different reasons. Everyone has their own personal preferences. Expensive vs. cheap, Local vs. exotic, Intricate vs. Rustic. It's all in the name of a great love of food! The non-foodies are the ones that eat to live...Foodies are the ones that LIVE to EAT!!! :):)

To whoever told us to stop posting pictures of our food DON'T LISTEN! Food pics are what keep me going in between nice meals...If you don't like food pics don't look at 'em!!

I definitely consider myself a foodie. If you wanna call yourself a foodie, you are one! Hehe. No need to get nit picky about it. Food is delicious, and can be enjoyed for many different reasons. Everyone has their own personal preferences. Expensive vs. cheap, Local vs. exotic, Intricate vs. Rustic. It's all in the name of a great love of food! The non-foodies are the ones that eat to live...Foodies are the ones that LIVE to EAT!!! :):)

I suppose that if you enjoy good beer, wine and spirits, you are a drinkee.

Are the truffles harvested in Australia? I agree that real shaved truffles in a good olive oil can result in a great condiment.

• 5 weeks later...
Are the truffles harvested in Australia? I agree that real shaved truffles in a good olive oil can result in a great condiment.

Sorry for the delay in replying, I've been away.

One company, The Truffle & Wine Co, harvests its own truffles in Western Australia. This is the company that also makes truffle mustard, as well as truffle oil.

I'm not sure where the other companies source their truffles from though.

Both Australia and New Zealand are having great success with truffle farming.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

• 3 weeks later...

Foodie is someone who is ever ready to munch any food at any given time, Even if you talk a about any dishes that are delicious in front of a foodie makes it desirable for him to have it, He is somebody who would always like his taste buds to taste something new every time, A foodie specially has a delicacy for some foods while hatred for other which he found least interest in.

Foodie is someone who is ever ready to munch any food at any given time, Even if you talk a about any dishes that are delicious in front of a foodie makes it desirable for him to have it, He is somebody who would always like his taste buds to taste something new every time, A foodie specially has a delicacy for some foods while hatred for other which he found least interest in.

Actually no. What you have described is a Food Snob.

Foodies just enjoy good food, from the simple to the sublime.

• 1 month later...

I agree! We try to be first on a Princess ship to call the dine line to get into the Chef's dinner. Our first stop in Barcelona has nothing to do with Gaudi and everything to do about the Bouqueria. In Stockholm - Saluhall. Venice-Rialto Market. Almost every souvenier we bring home is food related. Limoncello glasses from Sorrento, jarred truffles from Rome, etc. Can't wait to go to Australia in January to have a "Yabbie"

A foodie (or gourmet or Gourmand) is someone who appreciates food in all its forms and environments. I especially relate it to someone who thrives to find different tastes and delights wherever they are whether its a new dish in their usual restaurant or seeking out deep fried crickets in Asia (they are amazing btw). I would also expect a foodie to have definite opinions and favourites. Not to mention that the French would still like to think they own the food world but when you look east you realise they are actually losing. Good food can be simple and inexpensive.

With emphasis on 'seeking new experiences' I would say such things like truffle oil, lobster, things done 3 ways,scallops with black pudding and salted desserts etc are all a bit old hat now and have been 'exciting' for decades.

I would expect a less experienced foodie to recommend the above and would rather be surprised with something inventive...

Edited by Velvetwater