Just off the Diamond Princess in Japan- AMA!!

cowgrrl

Thank you for all this great information. Did you notice if any men tourists wear shorts at all in the cities? DH is considering what to pack for August - hot and humid so jeans might be uncomfortable. Any impressions would be most helpful.

We were there in August and the average daily high was 95 F. Shorts every day. Japanese men have loosened up their dress in the summer to coincide with the Governments desire to save energy. hence offices are warmer and ties are increasingly not worn.

I never felt out of place with my shorts, even at any casual lunch or dinner.

One more travel tid bit: A great website for traveling by rail in Japan is japanrailpass.net. Also, there is a website blog by Takashi which is very helpful in planning itineraries: jprail.com. And finally, jrail.com. Between these 3, you'll find everything you need!

We had a port lecturer when we did our 17-day Grand Japan cruise on Diamond Princess in 2015. Heather (she is usually on the Asia sub-forum) was wonderful in providing good and detailed information about each port. I am surprise that they do not do that anymore. Maybe post your questions about the ports on the Asia sub-forum and Heather may answer. Loved the Diamond Princess and will be on her again in November 2018. Can't wait! Trip report on my blog for anyone who is interested.

We had a port lecturer when we did our 17-day Grand Japan cruise on Diamond Princess in 2015. Heather (she is usually on the Asia sub-forum) was wonderful in providing good and detailed information about each port. I am surprise that they do not do that anymore.

Oh no... we leave tomorrow for Japan and board the ship August 4. I was looking forward to port lectures. Your trip report has been super helpful - thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oh no... we leave tomorrow for Japan and board the ship August 4. I was looking forward to port lectures. Your trip report has been super helpful - thank you!!

I am sure you will have a super time cruising Japan no matter what you do! Thank you for the kind words and enjoy your trip!

Update:

Princess said they require 6 months (5.5 months won't work for Japan on ship) so we are driving to Arkansas for a same day passport appointment renewal Monday for her. Whew!

Thanks for the update. I didn't know Princess is enforcing this.

Hey cruise people, If you happen to visit Osaka? Do the wonderloop, it's about $30 AU so $20-$25 U.S. If you visit Osaka castle? there are a few food carts. There's a lady running a Karage cart, let's just say her Karage is amazing, specially with Wasabi Mayo. Don't forgot the shirts are all small, I'm skinny and XL is about the smallest I can go. If you're into technology, it's a must to visit Denden town which is also on the Wonderloop. The other ports I've been to are Hakodate and Aomori, though I flew. Both ports have amazing crab dishes, Hakodate has the only squid post box in the world.

Thank you for all this great information. Did you notice if any men tourists wear shorts at all in the cities? DH is considering what to pack for August - hot and humid so jeans might be uncomfortable. Any impressions would be most helpful.

Plenty of men wear shorts in Japan in the summer and it is the same for women wearing something short. If they are relaxing and not at work and they are going to parks and in some areas foot baths then expect to see them in shorts. Just looking at all my past photos from holidays in Japan I have seen many Japanese wearing shorts and women wearing short jeans and some skirts.

In the staterooms, were the new type of flat screen/entertainment on demand TV's fitted, or were these still the old set time programming systems?

Did you see a way to plug an auxiliary/HDMI source into the TV, and select it?

We were on the Diamond in April and yes, the on-demand TVs were fitted but no, there was no way to plug in aux/HDMI/USB etc.

Did you notice if any men tourists wear shorts at all in the cities? DH is considering what to pack for August - hot and humid so jeans might be uncomfortable. Any impressions would be most helpful.

Plenty of tourists and locals wear shorts. Just be aware that visible tattoos are considered impolite in Japan, so if hubby has tattoos on his legs, longer pants would be more appropriate.

I am sure you will have a super time cruising Japan no matter what you do! Thank you for the kind words and enjoy your trip!

Thanks! On the Narita Express now heading to Yokohama station for our hotel near the port. Cruise is August 4 :)

Everything is close with those trains, the ticket machines can all be switched to English. I Recommend Ueno park in Tokyo, specially during the Sakura festival, also the Museum is close by. In Tokyo Gray Line do some fantastic tours, check it out at http://www.jgl.co.jp/inbound/index.htm . Their Fuji tour is something else and affordable, If you want as much as Tokyo in one day their is a bus loop service. I don't know how much time you get on a cruise to tokyo/yokahama, but a day in Nikko is a fantastic Japanese experience. Anything and everything that comes out of those vending machines is safe for human consumption, if you are a bit scared of the food and need some western influence you can't go wrong with visiting Dutours. Everything is spotless in Japan and the electric toilets are a modern wonder, Just watch your head when indoors. I honestly don't think there is enough time at these stops for a full experience, Also, eating dinner out is something I'd recommend.

We were traveling with some Elite members so we had no problems.

Thank you - the message we got seemed to imply it didn't matter if one was elite or not. We will keep the plans we have to arrive early enough to board as soon as they do begin the boarding process.

Thanks! On the Narita Express now heading to Yokohama station for our hotel near the port. Cruise is August 4 :)

I was watching the news that a super typhoon is heading towards Japan. Hope this is not going to affect your cruise. :eek:

I was watching the news that a super typhoon is heading towards Japan. Hope this is not going to affect your cruise. :eek:

Ditto, that would be unfortunate. Don't forget, earthquakes at any given time, However Godzilla isn't real.

Oh, I have to say this, if you get the train and the doors close before your partner gets in? Don't try and open it, and definitely don't try to stop it closing. Let's just say I still have "Ginza" finger 14 months after the fact, Ginza station, slow partner equals,,,, snap.

Ditto, that would be unfortunate. Don't forget, earthquakes at any given time, However Godzilla isn't real.

Oh, I have to say this, if you get the train and the doors close before your partner gets in? Don't try and open it, and definitely don't try to stop it closing. Let's just say I still have "Ginza" finger 14 months after the fact, Ginza station, slow partner equals,,,, snap.

Ah, but Mothra is....

That reminds me of something that happened to me and my DW in 1963. We were in Japan for our honeymoon and wanted to travel from Tokyo to another city. Bought the tickets, but wasn't sure which side of the track was our train. Train pulled in, I stepped aboard to show my ticket to someone to ask if it was the right train. Doors closed, train left, and the DW was waiting next to the track. I was thinking "I will never see her again!" Anyway, she was smart enough to stay where she was, and I got off at the next stop, went across to the other tracks, got on the next train, and we were back together in less than 15 minutes. So I know what to do if the doors close before your companion gets on.

That reminds me of something that happened to me and my DW in 1963. We were in Japan for our honeymoon and wanted to travel from Tokyo to another city. Bought the tickets, but wasn't sure which side of the track was our train. Train pulled in, I stepped aboard to show my ticket to someone to ask if it was the right train. Doors closed, train left, and the DW was waiting next to the track. I was thinking "I will never see her again!" Anyway, she was smart enough to stay where she was, and I got off at the next stop, went across to the other tracks, got on the next train, and we were back together in less than 15 minutes. So I know what to do if the doors close before your companion gets on.

Great Story, must tell my husband that this should be our plan as well that the one that get left behind just stay put. ;) My first time to Japan was 7 years after you in 1970, rode the trains including the first generation Shinkansen from Osaka to Tokyo. I was a teenager from Iowa at the time and was totally amazed at everything. Definitely a totally different world.

We are here now and to be honest I have not looked at news at all. Watched the ship back in this morning. Excellent visit in the Tokyo and Yokohama areas so far!!! ec2a44f1eff08b755dfc58d50618bf65.jpg1c3eb71c7578eaf080a3842c7c550a9d.jpg