Selling Crafts Onboard?

LewesBeach

Now personally I would not do this, but was wondering if there was an official policy. I've seen several people making crafts on long cruises and selling them to people walking by. I know at least one time several years ago, a staff person made them stop. Reason being that $ people spend there is taking away from revenue that could be spent in onboard shops. I am going on a 28 day cruise next year and many are starting to form crafting/needlework/jewelry groups to meet and work together. I feel certain that at some point someone will want to sell or buy something. Has anyone had any experience with this situation? Thx!

Berni

From Princess' ticket contract:

11. RESPONSIBILITY TO COMPLY WITH LAW AND REGULATIONS, RULES OF SHIP; NO SOLICITATION.

You shall be responsible for complying with the requirements of all immigration, port, health, customs, and police authorities, and all other laws and regulations of each country or state from or to which You will travel, as well as this Passage Contract. You must at all times obey all the rules, regulations and orders of the ship, Carrier and the Captain. You shall not solicit other Guests for commercial purposes or advertise goods or services without Carrier's prior written permission. You may be disembarked without liability for refund, payment, compensation or credit of any kind if You or any Guest for whom You are responsible violate any of these requirements, and You agree to assume and/or reimburse Carrier for any expenses or fines that may be incurred as a result of such noncompliance.

I've never seen or experienced this on any ship I've been on. No disrespect to anyone, but I think that passengers selling crafts onboard is just a tad tacky. Can't imagine why anyone would want to be involved in this. Just my opinion, please don't flame me.

Have never seen this, but wouldn't be surprised if there is bartering/trading materials or items completed during the cruise between members who have formed a crafting circle (though even that may not be allowed under the letter of the cruise contract). I agree with Lady Arwen - hawking to the public IS tacky.

Edited by LoriPhil

I once saw a couple of ladies either knitting or crocheting scarves. They were sitting in chairs in the hallway across from the Explorers Lounge and had finished scarves draped across a chair. They must have been told of the policy as I did not see them again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This happen to me on board ship. I make a lot of my own clothes. At the time I was wearing a skirt and waist bag on (the waist bag is a very nice form of a fanny bag, made from the same fabric as the skirt. Not bulky) A lady the same size as me ask me about my outfit and where I got it. I told her that I made it. She then ask me if I would sell her some of my bags and skirts that I had made and brought with me. Of course I refused. But I was funny!

Besides being revenue competition, the line would also get the joy of dealing with complaints for products not lasting etc. You would think I am kidding but when I worked retail people routinely came in complaining about and wanting refunds for stuff we did not sell them.

From Princess' ticket contract:

11. RESPONSIBILITY TO COMPLY WITH LAW AND REGULATIONS, RULES OF SHIP; NO SOLICITATION.

You shall be responsible for complying with the requirements of all immigration, port, health, customs, and police authorities, and all other laws and regulations of each country or state from or to which You will travel, as well as this Passage Contract. You must at all times obey all the rules, regulations and orders of the ship, Carrier and the Captain. You shall not solicit other Guests for commercial purposes or advertise goods or services without Carrier's prior written permission. You may be disembarked without liability for refund, payment, compensation or credit of any kind if You or any Guest for whom You are responsible violate any of these requirements, and You agree to assume and/or reimburse Carrier for any expenses or fines that may be incurred as a result of such noncompliance.

Thanks for posting the official policy.

There was a discussion here on CC a couple of years ago where a member/members of a CC roll call group got called out and warned by ships officers for either selling tours or something?

Staff saw/heard the transaction and money changing hands.

Can't recall exactly. I am sure someone remembers this.

They are very strict onboard and can get you booted and or banned.

My goodness ... can you imagine that hallway on the way down to the specialty restaurants turned into a flea market? Next thing you know, somebody would bring their kids onboard and have them selling boxes of Chiclets. hahaha!!

I am glad to see Celebrity (and other cruiselines) have official policies against this.

My goodness ... can you imagine that hallway on the way down to the specialty restaurants turned into a flea market? Next thing you know, somebody would bring their kids onboard and have them selling boxes of Chiclets. hahaha!!

I am glad to see Celebrity (and other cruiselines) have official policies against this.

On most ships, you would see this in the crew areas a couple of times a week, as the crew sell/barter goods purchased ashore to those who couldn't get ashore, and services like barbers, hair stylists, seamstresses, etc.

Two things: it seems to be policy that Princess do not want any discussion of Private Shorex at any official M&G; they certainly would take action if money was changing hands. I wish NCL had the same rules!!

Secondly on the recent World Cruise segment from Dover to New York there was a woman seated at the same table by the Whisky Bar every day making necklaces etc. She had them arranged on the table in front of her and seemed to be arranging to sell them later!! Certainly not soliciting sales!!